• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

how strong is 50mg of Demerol

kanucme

Bluelighter
how strong is 50mg of Demerol? is it heavy usage if someone takes 4-5 50mg pills of Demerol a day?

a family member has calcification formed on a joint in the leg and it causes extreme pain, hence the demerol, I just wonder if thats a really high does and if there high risk of addiction in this situation.

As with any Narcotic pain killer, the risk of addiction is always quite high, & if your family member has chronic, long-term pain, developing a physical addiction to Demerol or anything else that will adequately control his/her pain is pretty much unavoidable. As far as addiction in terms of "recreational benefits" & all that are concerned, the risk of developing an addiction to Demerol is definitely less than the risk of developing an addition to something like Oxycontin; it's more along the lines of the risk of developing an addiction to Vicodin or Percocet [Percocet in 5mg-10mg dosages, that is].
50mg of Demerol is actually the lowest dose of Demerol when taken orally, I believe; oral Demerol dosages generally range between 50mg - 150mg. Since Demerol is incredibly short acting (it usually lasts for about 3-4 hours), taking four or five dosages of 50mg of Demerol a day is completely normal for someone in extreme pain.
Your concern is, of course, very natural. It sounds like, though, your family member is controlling his/her pain in the best, safest way possible.

It's an opiate. It has addiction potential. Period. If you misuse them, you will get addicted. If you take them longer than directed by finding an outside source, you are very well on your way to addiction.

not strong at all-IMO. 50mg wouldnt touch any pain or help with wd's for more than a few minutes. i'd rather have hydro than Demerol unless it was a big dose <100 mg's. nowadays hospitals generally dont give Demerol anymore, they use Morphine and Dilaudid. The nice part about Demeral is that it does put you to sleep for a while.

to answer your question-Its very addictive and the higher the dose for the longer the period, the longer and more harsh the withdrawl will be. Because its synthetic it will make for an even harder kick when they quit. I'd highly suggest sticking with the lowest dose possible and a titration to avaoid wd's.

Demerol especially oral demerol isint very strong at all. Some charts say 100mg's given by injection is about the same as 10mg's of morphine but i don't find it to be even close. Hell id rather codeine then demerol especially for keeping withdrawals at bay.

Also demerol is not for use in chronic pain at all due to the rather nasty buildup of normeperidine. Unlike morphine demerol has a ceiling effect that cannot be surpassed without the very real risk of seizures, hallucinations, psychosis, heart problems and other unpleasant things. So the most you can safely take in 1 day is 400mg's so that's 8 50mg pills and since it builds up really quickly you can't take it for any longer then 3 days at any significant dose without running the risk of bad things happening. 400mg's of demerol is not much at all considering that it is a very short acting opioid and is fairly weak.

It has it's uses but severe pain (outside of maybe migraines and stomach troubles) is not one of them and it is certainly no good for chronic pain. Some doctors mostly old quacks still use it as a standard opioid in treating any severe pain and prescribe high doses of it because they don't know it's toxic.

Because its synthetic it will make for an even harder kick when they quit.

I would disagree with you there. Why would demerol be any harder to kick then say morphine or dilaudid? Just because it is synthetic does not mean anything in terms of how hard it is to kick. It is certainly less satisfying to the addict so it may be more compulsive then some but ive never heard of anyone i know getting a serious demerol addiction and there used to be loads of it around here before percocets and oxy's came into style. Plus if you did get addicted chances are the toxic effects would make you cut down or stop since you would probably have a seizure.

The last time i had demerol was when i was given a script for it and i was trying to lay off the morphine for awile. I was very stupid with the stuff and was using about 600mg's a day orally (for the love of god do not snort of inject these pills) and started getting delerious and getting very bad anti-cholinergic effects after about day 5 or 6. It felt like i was just taking diphenhydramine after a few days because i wasent getting any opioid effects. If i had not been on 3 different anti-convulsant i most likely would have had a grand mal seizure.

I would have to do a CWE of about 5000mg and I probably still wouldnt feel chit. You have to get the IV, only way its good

im an addict and as mentioned up above the potintale for addictiong is extremly high with any opiate if i was you i would get my family member to check out non narcotic painkillers to see if they work the dont most times but it would be good to check in to it to avoid being"sick" ie withdrawl

the family member in question doesn't get pain relieving effects from morphine, even large amounts IV, Demerol is the only thing that works, I just wasn't sure how much 50mg was, thanks for all the info guys.

the family member in question doesn't get pain relieving effects from morphine, even large amounts IV, Demerol is the only thing that works, I just wasn't sure how much 50mg was, thanks for all the info guys.

Have they tried other safer opiates such as oxycodone, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, oxymorphone, etc? Just for information purposes fentanyl is closely related to demerol but it does not have any of the toxic effects that demerol has.