• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Kratom Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The beginning of the end? In Utah?

Utah of all places, is the first state of which I am aware that has formally considered banning kratom. See: http://bit.ly/fNbLBY and http://bit.ly/fThGMW.

The story is incredibly poorly written and hard to follow but from what I can gather, Utah state lawmakers drafted a bill to ban kratom without consulting the drug advisory committee that they themselves formed to advise on drug issues. That committee then met with the lawmakers and stated their opposition to the bill. It's unclear whether they opposed it for substantive reasons or just because they essentially weren't consulted. It's also unclear what the current status of the bill is. If anyone can find any more information, I'd love to hear it.

In the meantime maybe we can all pitch in to send Mr. Weist to J-School.

State governments working with local law enforcement to identify and ban "new" drugs at the state level in a rapidly increasing trend and one that fortells the end of kratom in the US in the near future. Why? Well the feds tend to move quite slowly and delibrately unless people die and it makes the news, which will never happen with kratom. On the other hand, as you can gather from the SLC Tribune "article," the state lawmakers are comparatively a bunch of yahoos who can do anything at any time (has anyone ever died from kratom? or even been physically harmed by it?). The problem is that it only takes one - Utah bans it, it makes the news, then Wyoming doesn't want to look soft on drugs, so it bans it, and pretty soon you have a snowball effect and states essentially get steamrolled into bans based on a couple of lousy mormons.

We are seeing it happen big-time with MDPV (type "bath salts" in to Google News) and I fear this "states first" approach is going to be the new paradigm that ends up taking out everything in its path, including kratom. I could be wrong, the states may back off and take a level-headed approach (like the advisory committee has done) when it comes to less harmul substances like kratom (as far as I'm concerned, MDPV should be banned) but I kinda doubt it.

-minger

[ADDENDUM]

Ack! Just catching up with the news and see now that military members at Goodfellow Air Force Base in Texas are prohibited from using Kratom: http://bit.ly/gGLilb The article is mainly about salvia and spice; seems like kratom just sort of got dragged along without justification...

Last edited:
^It helps quite a bit! I highly recommend using it... I use it whenever I w/d...

My vendor called me because my online order was glitching. Apparently, many credit/debit card processors are refusing to process and ship orders with kratom. He had to find a new company and so far they're okay with it.

Utah. 8)

^Can you provide any more info on this? I'm going to be really upset if this becomes an issue...

The government has no right to interfere with kratom. Just because a drug is psychoactive doesn't mean that it must be prohibited. We're allowed alcohol and tobacco because of the industries involved, and these companies don't want to see another drug being used, especially not one that has pleasant effects like kratom. Big business has interfered in our lives enough... I will be very vocal if there is any formal move to control kratom. Enough is enough.

/rant

Utah of all places, is the first state of which I am aware that has formally considered banning kratom. See: http://bit.ly/fNbLBY and http://bit.ly/fThGMW.

The story is incredibly poorly written and hard to follow but from what I can gather, Utah state lawmakers drafted a bill to ban kratom without consulting the drug advisory committee that they themselves formed to advise on drug issues. That committee then met with the lawmakers and stated their opposition to the bill. It's unclear whether they opposed it for substantive reasons or just because they essentially weren't consulted. It's also unclear what the current status of the bill is. If anyone can find any more information, I'd love to hear it.

Minging (and all others concerned about Kratom in Utah):

It appears from these two articles that Kratom has NOT been banned in Utah. It was PROPOSED, but then removed from the ban at the recommendation of the drug advisory commitee. Just the fact that it was proposed is alarming though. Because you know that a formal ban is just around the corner. I agree - enough is enough!! No way in hell that Kratom is more harmful than alcohol.....but they want to ban it outright with no justification. That's rank bullshit.

I live in Utah, and I am very heavily invested in Kratom. I recently purchased over 100 grams of Kratom online in an effort to stock up before the inevitable ban occurs. My credit card was having issues at first too, but I called the credit card company up and cleared the purchase and then it ran just fine. If legislators ever get serious about banning Kratom I'll fight it tooth and nail.

/rant

^^ HERE HERE!!

Enough is e-fucking-nough!

If the UK moves to ban Kratom I will be horrified at their churlish, hysteria driven attitude towards drugs, no matter how harmless and useful they are.

does kratom loose potency over time? Friend has some from about 2 years ago that he's willing to send to me to try, wondered if its worth doing.

where can i find gel caps? i havent found a decent way to take kratom yet...that shit taste horrid. specially when i tried shoving a spoon full down my throat.

My first time taking it was the other day and only took a teaspoon full and put it on hot water and mixed..it did make me feel really relaxed almost to the point where I didn't want to move and then I passed out. Which is great for my wd.

where can i find gel caps? i havent found a decent way to take kratom yet...that shit taste horrid. specially when i tried shoving a spoon full down my throat.

My first time taking it was the other day and only took a teaspoon full and put it on hot water and mixed..it did make me feel really relaxed almost to the point where I didn't want to move and then I passed out. Which is great for my wd.

Gel caps are easily obtainable from nutritional supply sites online or in physical locations. Also, sites like Amazon carry a wide selection of capsules... I recommend looking for the 000 size capsules as they fit a huge amount of leaves in each (maybe a gram or so)...

After some experimenting, I think I have found my sweet spot as far as dosing is concerned. Anytime I take above 9 or 10 grams, I get significant nausea and discomfort. As long as I keep it around 8 grams, there is no discomfort and the effects are very euphoric/sedating (I have crushed Bali leaf). I have also become more accustomed to the taste of Kratom tea. At first, it was horrid and I could barely get it down. But, putting some gatorade powder into the cup makes it much more bearable.
I will also be enraged if there is movement to control Kratom. And I bet the powers at be will try to cite some of the rather disingenuous health concerns as the reason for it. In particular, the hepatic horror stories I have found while searching for info on Kratom seem particularly well-suited to the cause of drug tyranny.

^Just for the record, the amount of bali leaf that you are taking is exactly the same range that I tolerate. Anything above maybe 8.5g will almost always make me sick, but even just 8.5 can do it with certain batches so I usually do a test dose of maybe 7.5 - 8g when getting a new batch of bali. Unfortunately, bali seems to be one of the more variable strains so I tend to stay away nowadays in place of premium leaves with a good track record.

PS- I'm glad all of you feel the same about any attempt to make kratom illegal! It's not happening without a fight, for sure!

Anybody ever tried the Super Enhanced Maeng Da (SEM) Powder? how does that compare to UEI? I have never tried kratom and never had experience with opiates. I'm willing to add some kratom to my goodie box for my relaxing purposes or maybe even for a stim sesh cure. Wondering if it is a good idea to start at UEI or SEM for a beginner? I can order the commercial bali powder as well but I'm just wondering if it is ok to start right from UEI or SEM.
Thnx for any advice guys.

I'd like to point out that it has been illegal in Australia and portions of Asia for some time so it wouldn't take much for western governments to just go with the flow.

Anybody ever tried the Super Enhanced Maeng Da (SEM) Powder? how does that compare to UEI? I have never tried kratom and never had experience with opiates. I'm willing to add some kratom to my goodie box for my relaxing purposes or maybe even for a stim sesh cure. Wondering if it is a good idea to start at UEI or SEM for a beginner? I can order the commercial bali powder as well but I'm just wondering if it is ok to start right from UEI or SEM.
Thnx for any advice guys.

When kratom is "enhanced" it means that extract is added to whatever strain, in this case it is Maeng Da. The extract used to enhance is likely UEI, as it is quite popular for this purpose.

I'd recommend to use the enhanced kratom as it has the full alkaloid profile from the Maeng Da, and has a bit of extract to give more of the strong alkaloids specifically. UEI on its own is not bad, but is a bit different due to some alkaloids being lost in the extraction process. Extract in general makes kratom more addicting, but UEI is even more addicting than the enhanced kratom.

Good luck, and be careful with your dosing with either of these options. Using extracts makes kratom less of a plant like caffeine with mild opioid effects and more like an opioid itself. Many of the typical risks of opiate use also come when using extracts.

I'd like to point out that it has been illegal in Australia and portions of Asia for some time so it wouldn't take much for western governments to just go with the flow.

Yeah, well at least all of these countries are pretty draconian in their laws... Much more so than even the USA!

I don't put it past the government to try something like this and explain it away this poorly, though. The government tends to do what it wants for large corporations and give easily-debunked rationale (from what I can gather).

yea i just got some to stash away and yes the gove will do what ever they want and give no examples there diks :D

Multiple types of kratom?

Hey guys, I've searched around ALOT and the info is kinda overwhelming. I just need to get some good kratom for once I've tapered off my bupe, I've obtained that the powder is better than the extract, but when I go to order some o get selections for Indonesian, Maeng da, bali, and Thai. For those of you who are experienced which would you recommend?

<snip>

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion... just get the cheapest, finely-powdered leaf kratom (probably Bali) you can find, and skip over all the extracts, tars, maeng dai, poopoo this and poopoo that. And consume the kratom straight up, making it into a tea first perhaps if you like (but drink the finely powdered 'grounds' down completely for full effect). Best bang for the buck this way, IMO/IME, despite being by far the least "attractive".

Thnx for the answers guys.. Is it ok to keep kratom poweder/leaves at a room temperature in my room?
and also my kratom is taking quite longer to get here. Possibly 2 weeks in the transit. Will this effect ounces of my precious kratom in terms of potency/quality??

Status
Not open for further replies.