• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why is it legal to grow heroin producing opium in USA, and not marijiuana?

OxyDillyKing

Bluelighter
I live is the USA and ive always thought it was comical that as long as i dont try to harvest them, i can grow 10,000 square miles of opium plants if i want, and yet if i even attempt to grow one cannabis plant, ill be arrested and thrown in jail for a few days/weeks/months. any one have any thoughts on why this is the case? i dont even think most law enforcement associates the poppy flower with the Heroin producing opium poppy. i dont think they even know what they really are, and it would be quite easy to harvest out in your front yard, even if the cops drove by they'd just think you were gardening. I just bought a covert drug book called " The Way of the Chinese Grower ". its basically a little book with info on how to grow and harvest opium in the form of a fictional story, which might have been necessay for it to get published since it details how to perform illegal processes. does anyone have any experience harvesting opium from plants the gardened themselves? how is it just smoking the latex straight from the plants? can you smoke it in a glass bowl like the ones used for MJ, or does it have to be vaporized ( i think it does, not sure )? the only drugs i do are IV oxycodone, hydromorphone, and occasionally H. i always use .2 micron filters, sopay water on injection site, and a new sterile syringe everytime. about 70% of the stuff i do comes from my own script. i have to buy the other 30%. i get good deals, but i rather not have to purchase anything beyond my script, so i wondered about harvest opium and using that for the 5 or 6 days a month that i buy pills from other. im sure it would be more economical. any input would be welcome/ thanks

the u.s. federal government passed an opium poppy control act in the 1930s or 1940s that made it illegal to grow opium poppies in all states. prob happens but any large operation would likely draw attention from the wrong places.
-izzy

I thought it was state specific. Florida has a state statute specifically against it. Found that one out after I bought some good seeds. :(

From what I can find online it's technically illegal but not enforced at a home gardener level. I would assume that if someone planted multiple fields of poppies it might draw attention.

Wiki has opium poppies and poppy straw as being listed in Schedule II of the US Controlled Substances Act. Whether your average law enforcement officer would recognise the extracted products is another question entirely.

The only reaon people can get away with growing opium poppy is because it doesn't stink to high hell, and actually looks like a flower. As soon as tiny score marks appear on the pods, LEO won't be happy.

i can legally but afghan papaver somniferum seeds of amazon, plant them, and tend them in my state. but if i score the pods to extract latex, it becomes a crime. i just cant believe that i cant grow MJ as long as i dont harvest it. it seems backwards. can you smoke the latex/ raw opium from the plants or does some process have to be done first

Sure, you can smoke raw opium - but collecting it is a tedious process and the yields per plant are relatively low. I think if the Feds came across your 'decorative garden' consisting of your whole backyard full of poppy with golf ball sized pods they would be more than happy to destroy it all.

when i was very young , my garden was full of poppy , at that time i didnt know that people used them as drugs , and there were always some guys who broke into my garden and stole them , i was pissed cause i loved to eat seeds when they were dry lol