• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos how long does it take to get addicted to benzos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard you can addicted after about 3 - 5 usages. But once you are addicted to benzos it will be a really hard addiction. I grew up in a neighborhood where benzo addicts started as early as 10 years old and would not grow, cause they got really addicted
lol - you heard wrong.

I agree with Bliss26: Who the F gets addicted to benzos after less than a week at non-daily use???.

Even though this thread has pretty much answered this question since it varies from person to person, but I have always wondered this. Wen I was younger I was prescribed kpins at .5, 4x daily.. and usually would eat more then that and was prescribed .5 Xanax but the xanax was always gone in the first week, which probably helped in the sense of going into WD...

BUT after 2 months of kpins (not including xans since it was gone in a week both times), I was Cut off by my uncle after he found me abusing them, and I had no WD whatsoever....well that's a bit of a lie since I got worst anxiety after , then I had before.. so I wonder if with some people u literally gotta be on them for a WHILE to really w/d, but everyone's different obviously

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21815323
Since the first report of benzodiazepine withdrawal seizure in 1961, many case reports have followed. Withdrawal seizures have occurred with short, medium, and long halflife benzodiazepine, if discontinued abruptly. Withdrawal seizures usually occur in patients who have been taking these medications for long periods of time and at high doses. Seizures have also been reported with less than 15 days of use and at therapeutic dosage. Almost all the withdrawal seizures reported were grand mal seizures. The severity of seizures range from a single episode to coma and death. Benzodiazepine dose tapering can be done faster in a hospital setting in high-dose abusers, but must be done more slowly in the outpatient setting in therapeutic dosage users.
So in the worst case you can be physically dependent after just two weeks and experience seizures, but imo that's very rare and those people are most likely prone to seizures

^ I believe it, a lot of misinformation in this thread. Physical dependence can occur within 3 days of use. Dependence and addiction are two different things.

addiction

3-7 days using every day, depending on Your body's chemistry, & psychological state, the human body is an amazing machine, that cleanses itself "Constantly" I would recommend a soph. or jr. college class on kinesiology, it's the study of All of the movement of the human body, Kinesiology addresses physiological, biomechanical, and psychological mechanisms of movement. I found neurotransmitters & synaptic movement to be super fantasticlyinteresting . . & what SS373d0H said :)

Last edited:
2 Weeks to a month. Sometimes longer for physical dependence, mental will come first forsure

2 Weeks to a month. Sometimes longer for physical dependence, mental will come first forsure

Yeah, I wonder if people are mistaking mental for legit dependence wit benzodiazepines . Opiates I would say 1-2 weeks and that's for first timers, people like me and many others on this forum, I would say 3-5 days and ur full on dependent again if we relapse and constantly use.

but benzos? ....Now I know everyone is different meaning all of our body's make up and chemistry varies, and I have no room to say that u can get dependent in 3-7 days...
BUT

the average is over 2 weeks for sure, I would even guess 4-8 weeks... I was a habitual user on and off especially from 9-11th grade, the most stemming in my sophomore year with all my boys as well, now I never went over 2 months everyday, but constantly we would go on 2-5 week binges of habitual use, and not once did I get physically dependent thank god, and NONE of us did. That's why I say the average has to be up there in days and weeks...now coming off them was not technically easy..

I did create anxiety in my life wen coming off which I still have today and about half of me and my old buddies do now..shit like that, but never WD..

and even recently i went went back on a lighter benzo kolonopin, with some xanax use and that lasted two months, 6-8 weeks, before I jumped off with no WD, but I was taking them legit, through a doctor and as prescribed, maybe that's why...but it still was 2-3 mg a day..

idk everyone is different of course

I'm not anti-drug, and I am still on daily hydrocodone for chronic pain, but I will tell everyone who will listen not to mess with benzos unless it is an emergency.

They lose their effectiveness quickly (one week?), and pretty soon you have to take them just to sleep and not panic.

If you do take them, take them as needed and not on a schedule. One every few days at most.

Trust me on this one.

Tolerance develops fast, and once that happens, the withdrawal hell is like nothing else.

Take it only when you need it. Don't dose 3x a day or whatever.

^ this.

Depends on dose
type of benzo
Why its presciped
Who you are
You can get mentaly addicted after 1 dose or after 2 year.

I had a horrible benzo WD after being on Diazepam for 6 days, dosing 3 x a day (prescribed as a muscle relaxant)

I think how quick you can get dependent also varies on the half-life. Diazepam has a longer half-life which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing. I do know I'd never touch them again. Anxiety through the roof for a good couple of weeks and nausea, dizziness and rage like nothing I've experienced.

Last edited:
Hey all
Can anyone tell me a safe taper off 0.5(actually half that, a day) milligram ativan that I've been taking for 3 months? For the past week I have only been taking 1/4 pill but by evening, I start to feel a tad crappy..just need to know how many days on the 1/4 pill and taper more from there..any help would be great..thanks!

Minimized is relative. The doctor doesn't know how any one person may respond to the drugs. And there's no good treatment for benzo withdrawal. Opiate withdrawal, clonidine is great. Alcohol withdrawal, benzos are great. Benzo withdrawal is in my mind the absolute worst withdrawal and there's fuck all that can be done for it.

So could major. People are different, what might be nothing for one person could be hell for another person.
You don't know this! You absolutely don't know this. Pegasus was taking miniscule amounts of Xanax for about a month and got addicted. Lorazepam and alprazolam are either equipotent or very close to it. I believe he was only taking 0.25 mg a day. That's all it took.

Where the fuck do you people get all these random statistics? People. Are. Different. I got addicted to heroin WAY before 1 month, NOT using it everyday. I got addicted to benzos in a week, also not using everyday. And I got addicted to Suboxone in a few weeks, also not using every day.

Here's the deal, dude: no one can tell you how fast you'll get addicted. Seriously, no one knows. Everyone's metabolism is different, and some people are just more susceptible to getting addicted, whether it be due to environmental effects or genes or whatever. OP: I wouldn't even mess with them if I was you. I'd quit them now. If you go through benzo withdrawal, you'll be begging to go back to Suboxone withdrawal, as you'll find out how pleasant Suboxone withdrawal is in comparison.

AFTER READING THIS THREAD THIS IS THE BEST ADVISE. TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE THAT USED XANAX FOR ONE MONTH AND THEM SUFFERED A OVER 3 YEAR PROTRACTED WITHDRAWAL THAT NOBODY WOULD WANT TO LIVE THROUGH. Although it's unusual be careful! I am male and did MMA before the benzo withdrawal for roughly ten years. I was about 35 years old at the time time. Well I cried almost everyday the first two years or so in agony. So when the above poster says it will make your other withdrawal look pale in comparison I have no doubt it's the truth.

Hey if you started a benzo and are not sure if u are getting dependent... How long do WD symptoms take to appear after your last dose if you are dependent. Assume the benzo has a 5 hour half life.

If I can still sleep the night after my first day without it....am I not dependent?

Hey if you started a benzo and are not sure if u are getting dependent... How long do WD symptoms take to appear after your last dose if you are dependent. Assume the benzo has a 5 hour half life.

If I can still sleep the night after my first day without it....am I not dependent?

How long have you been taking it? Rebound symptoms (or the opposite of what the med is supposed to do) is common when stopping benzos. Whether you're physicially dependent is hard to say after 1 night of not being able to sleep. If it lasts through the next couple of days, and you feel anxious, brain flying around all over the place, and generally just extremely "off" in every part of your life, then it's a safe bet to say you might be dependent and going through withdrawals.

I had a horrible WD from a 3 week xanax binge. I didn't feel right for over a week.

That was before I started my current regimen of clonazepam. I know I'm addicted to that. I just kicked a painkiller addiction, tackling that is next. I'm very nervous... not looking forward to it. But I've already talked to my doc, and he's going to work with me and write me the scripts I need to taper off as much as I can.

I think the people who suffer years long of withdrawal after short benzo use are PSYCHOLOGICALLY dependent and thats a hard reality to face.

Dont underestimate the power of drugs psychologically. And your mental desire to return to states once had before.

You CAN still be physically dependent AND able to sleep without it.

If you are really physically dependent youd be out stealing and robbing for it already or begin to hallcuinate and shake and walk on foot if you have to nearby clinics/hospitals etc. As a vampire in the night looking for blood.

You are an animal in benzo withdrawal, you must Find it and have it enter your blood stream as a Binary survival tactic. I assume seizures or whatever or for people who Suppress whats happening and their eyes and face pop out and around because their reality shatters.

The only way to stop yourself from having a seizure in benzo withdrawal is to LOOK for benzos. ive seen a man Cold turkeying 20 mg xanax a day on adderall not seize as long as he was aware he was an animal and his only destination is to get some xanax.

You are a treasure hunting monster in benzo withdrawal, and you must find the Benzo or burn up before the light, abandon your humanity doesnt mean commit crimes, its understand the monster Of glutamate you are currently and Your only survival chemical is the food of some gaba. Your gaba only upregulates when you ride the struggle and despair in search for benzos, even if it turns up youve found none in the end. Ignoring the pulls of your glutamate to get some gaba will end with your limbs torn apart and your face and eyes flared up (seizure).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.