• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Fashion Designers, Seasons, Trends, Models, & YOU.

Versace..!

---------------Do It!-
sewing takes, and breeds a lot of patience.
i gave myself 1.5 years 6 months ago to see how i felt and
what my abilities were.
i know i have some natural ability, and still a passion for it...

once i get started sewing something, i will sit there for hours,,, :D
you will start to see yourself progress, and learn tricks along the way,
its a whole other world of art, its functional expression that as a designer is taken further by the person wearing the clothes.
:)
its a great thought.
making people feel better, more comfortable, more themselves, in a shared vision of self ~ with the designer and others, as we are here...
=D
...so, sew if you can SOoO ~ and knot in vein, but with the threads of the heart ~ tying together the fabric of like-minds.
*~-~-~
into the Fab ;-)

haha
luvs it.

heh
i need a mannequin first, but im planning on embarking on a woven skirt, using ?1cm? wide 'threaded tape' - ill post a pic of the stuff, hard to explain the pattern.
its promised to be very frustrating&demanding, but man, 8-15 months later... wtf am i supposed to with this?!? is what ill be wondering.
:D

I might! We'll see. I'm the type of gal who has a bit of a dRaIn BrAmAgE when it comes to putting things together. With that said, I'm hoping to find some sort of source (either a person or a class of somesort) to show me the ropes...er...uh...threads! Hehe. %)

panic, do you use a sewing machine? Are you devoting all/most of your technique(s) to hand stitching? I currently have a sewing machine to use whenever I please, but I haven't the vaguest how to operate the damn thing! Haha. ;)
Man, I wish I had taken the opportunity to have my grandmother teach me how to sew before she went blind! :\ We are a lot alike in many ways, but she could stitch like a hausfrau! Oh well. Where there is a will, there is a way, and so the sewing begins! Haha!

Diggin' your perspective on sewing, so to speak! Seems as though you are undoubtedly in it for all the right reasons :D. Looking forward to seeing your current project—sOoOoOoOo awesome! Haha! :)

Last edited:
a mannequin would be so so convenient..!

i decided not to, but while trying to take pictures of the skirt ideas i have,,, i remembered how essential a mannequin is.

just messing around, throwing together mock-ups would lead to so many ideas with ease. feeling the way i do about hand sewing as much as possible, being able to fit and add darts etc, as you go is very convenient.!
its silly to try for so long w/o one really.
:\

what did you get, & what size?
or is it one of those bad-ass adjustable ones.?.
idk if i should get 3 different sized standard mannequins, or a normal cheap-o' and save for an adjustable one in the mean-time.

black lace is awesome, especially -ehem- black large fine velvet or thick crushed~silk French~Curve in lace patterns, overlaying a tight skin tone lining...

*sighs
;)

Mannequin = a must for you! =D You're the expert on that sort of stuff, though. I can't say that I know enough in regards to sewing to give much advice in that department...so to speak! Hehe. I'm sure that you will come up with a practical decision, though. You seam (I mean seem) to have a very good idea of what it is you are crafting, as well as how and what you need to make it happen!

I just always seem to head for either the 'little black dress' or the little mostly black dress with lace! TBPH, I have everything from Armani and Betsey Johnson dresses to $10 sale dresses from the Macy's juniors department! Haha ;) The designer dresses are all in an XS or a size 2. The juniors department dresses are in a size 3. Feel so funny talking about shopping in the juniors department, haha! They tend to have clothing that hugs my curves just right though...so I basically go there when on a budget and looking for something form fitting. I pretty much just head to wherever I see a glimpse of black lace and try things on from there. :)

Last edited:
yeah the thought of having an idea, sketching it out, finding the fabrics, making the pattern and first cuts, the process of, then,,, the woman sliding into the dress, looking in the mirror, and just glowing from head to toe is perfect..!

i dont have a machine anymore... but was using, and would recommend a Brother-XR/65, ill probably get something that is primarily a serger, that can switch between multiple thread spools, wit lots of room for the hands to make long curving,winding seems and hems.
also Gutermann thread is the stuff, maybe try their Toldi-Lock brand, not as expensive, but made evenly and far more tough then most any other brand, ill break the thread often, but the Gutermann stuff you kind of have to try. so it is worth it, if you are going to get into it. for hand sewing, some ToldiLock, and a nice Cotton Darning to top-stitch is perfect.:) i found some great colors of Vintage Cotton Darning at a thrift store, probably $80+ worth of soft very strong, thread. all muted metallic colors, lots of purple and greys, which i love, along with black and white.
sewing by hand though, it shows. doing so isnt always practical, but when i can do, i do. like with the berets, or detail work, i waaas beginning to touch on embroidery, and my own techniques- getting a feel for, and understanding of smocking, adding a few stitches or knots in the right places to create a nice fall and floating natural looking pleating effect.
i like making just the shoulder parts of a top, adding a few stitches to make it poof out and pleat, fold and stay that way but have some play/movement to it.

geez, ill post more later, eheh.

The one I have looks like the middle one in this picture
NSFW:
classic-female-dress-display-forms.jpg

I got it in as close to my own size as I could, but some of the measurements are just a couple of inches too big, but I figured as long as I knew that going in to any projects, I could just fix the difference in the process. :) Its worked fine so far. I'll have to show you guys the first thing I made on it :D I didnt make all the parts (like the corset) but I put all the pieces together.

yeah the thought of having an idea, sketching it out, finding the fabrics, making the pattern and first cuts, the process of, then,,, the woman sliding into the dress, looking in the mirror, and just glowing from head to toe is perfect..!

i dont have a machine anymore... but was using, and would recommend a Brother-XR/65, ill probably get something that is primarily a serger, that can switch between multiple thread spools, wit lots of room for the hands to make long curving,winding seems and hems.
also Gutermann thread is the stuff, maybe try their Toldi-Lock brand, not as expensive, but made evenly and far more tough then most any other brand, ill break the thread often, but the Gutermann stuff you kind of have to try. so it is worth it, if you are going to get into it. for hand sewing, some ToldiLock, and a nice Cotton Darning to top-stitch is perfect.:) i found some great colors of Vintage Cotton Darning at a thrift store, probably $80+ worth of soft very strong, thread. all muted metallic colors, lots of purple and greys, which i love, along with black and white.
sewing by hand though, it shows. doing so isnt always practical, but when i can do, i do. like with the berets, or detail work, i waaas beginning to touch on embroidery, and my own techniques- getting a feel for, and understanding of smocking, adding a few stitches or knots in the right places to create a nice fall and floating natural looking pleating effect.
i like making just the shoulder parts of a top, adding a few stitches to make it poof out and pleat, fold and stay that way but have some play/movement to it.

geez, ill post more later, eheh.

What happened to the sewing machine?

fizzle- I want a mannequin just for looking at :D
I think they're neat looking..............

^ Edit to previous post I made regarding clothing: Having no current knowledge in regards to sewing/having a moment of mental retardation, I had no idea the size of the MANNEQUINS were the topic of discussion. Up until now, I had no idea mannequins even came in various sizes. Sorry about that folks! ;)

I suppose I have a lot to learn! :\ Haha! Just had to clarify that. :)

Ocean: um, well, haha its yours...
:-x

SOoO: no way, i might correct you and say, im no expert.!.
just a rapid leaner, and i have passion for the stuff.
;)
but i was mostly speaking of the practicality of a mannequin(s), and the thought of weaving this dress... haha holy shit...

what say you ocean, that big ass spool of ribbon i got, weaving a skirt out of that..?~lol
it could be pretty awesome, or pretty awful.

again, ill post pictures of the "ribbon", it has different patterns on either side,,,.

Fizzle: very cool, and very exciting!
yeah please do shows us what you have going!
how long have you been sewing again?

i have this gorgeous thick silky material, the inside is soft and doesnt need a liner, the out side is very slick, and semi-glossy, a rick coco-esq. metallic like brown, which reflects purples and brown at bends in the light right.
with a mannequin, it would be easy to wrap, pin, add straps, add thin lace with what looks like pearls sequenced through with a peal like luster, the same metallic blues and purps, then any further detail.
the material is weighted, drapes, and rests on the hips etc;-) booty and such ahaha
on one side, i want to simply add three tucks along the side, to cause it to have 3 long unfolding pleats, streaming towards and the then cascading from the hip, and down leg.
giving some 'hold' the dress as a whole some,
very simple, sounds like it would also be very effective.
;)

i have this gorgeous thick silky material, the inside is soft and doesnt need a liner, the out side is very slick, and semi-glossy, a rick coco-esq. metallic like brown, which reflects purples and brown at bends in the light right.
with a mannequin, it would be easy to wrap, pin, add straps, add thin lace with what looks like pearls sequenced through with a peal like luster, the same metallic blues and purps, then any further detail.
the material is weighted, drapes, and rests on the hips etc;-) booty and such ahaha
on one side, i want to simply add three tucks along the side, to cause it to have 3 long unfolding pleats, streaming towards and the then cascading from the hip, and down leg.
That sounds amazing! You have to post pictures when you get that done. I found my mannequin on ebay for like $50 including shipping. You should look there. I want to see that when its done haha. They have adjustable ones on there too, but they are more expensive.

I've been sewing for most of my life. Most of the women in my family have. My grandmother taught us all. She was an amazing seamstress, she could do just about anything. I'm sad that shes gone, I still had so much to learn from her, but I am so glad to have learned the skills from her that I did while she was with us.

most of my projects are on hold,
a mannequin really is needed before i try and move further with and 'gowns', dresses. or most skirts(the skirts with the nicer material anyway).
berets, scarfs, lamp-shades?!? etc. are a can do. ive got some drool worthy materials i think .
=D

im tempted tonight to use this canary yellow synthetic-silky-crepe stuff, with some nice black triple embroidery running along the top and bottom of the fabric, and some black 'onion-peel' some-time tonight to make something... a yard of each, heh 1 yd..!

again, a mannequin, i could tighten it just above the waist, with.. i forget my terminology now... with a 'sewn tube of the material with elastic running through it' a few cm's above the waist, 'pinch pleating' every~4cm's, belling-out from there, with the seem and zipper running along the back, and the onion-peel tied in flatteringly somehow... it would be easy to create a mock-up in minutes...

i would probably use a sheer silky white liner.

i dont think i could do anything with it at the moment actually, ive this material stored away a while now - lol.
;)

i also have theee perfect damn pair of pants, for me fit like a damn glove, a perfect charcoal grey,,, a thin wool blend material i believe. very nice, im praying it isnt just beginners luck!
'cause pants are serious business yall..!
not easy, and if done well, simply the most flattering it seems.
~
once i saw how they were turing out, i started making a pattern.

Last edited:
Ocean: um, well, haha its yours...
:-x

what say you ocean, that big ass spool of ribbon i got, weaving a skirt out of that..?~lol
it could be pretty awesome, or pretty awful.

again, ill post pictures of the "ribbon", it has different patterns on either side,,,.

;)

You can keep the sewing machine. :)

A woven ribbon dress would be good but you would def. need to have a back to it.........
Like a slip sewn in.

... whaaat.
hmmm.
if you are certain.??.
think about it.

if so-
then the thing will get heavily used.. i was thinking abut maybe getting a f'n ping-pong table to use as a sew-table... they usually have wheels, and do fold up... so . sew!
toms been urging me to sew, heheh, its strange, several people, its now out of know where, again, relative to me..?. strange, but, off we go!!18-0

what do you think about the actual ribbon?
its got the retro orange and browns, with the silver squares..?
pic pic pic.
idk, so large, as a skirt it could be bad-very busy,,, im sure i could gather some different stuff by the time id be ready to start.
it conceptually should take me months...
just B&W could be cool, and mask the detail, until looking closer-which i appreciate personally - but this would be a keeper.
but doing something like this, it seems i should try and show off, and create some kind of pattern, use brighter, pastel?colors. white, pale green, pale pink, peach?

as far as a lining, idk, it would be more of a um- conversation piece, so being able to look under the skirt and see whats going on in this case, can be necessary, to show off ones hands on~steady as he goes abilities...
);-]

MCQueen:
tumblr_lfv44yMVC71qzvdcjo1_500.jpg

don't know but I like this shirt:
tumblr_lev3w5990I1qct1goo1_500.jpg

I want these:
tumblr_lcxtsn5ZNZ1qzvnuuo1_500.png

8o Those leggings or whatever they are in that last picture are awesome!

i had gathered my materials to continue on the skirt, but then found my beret accent*
=D
i want to stitch around the edges of the top piece; its made from made from a few off-set 'knot stitches', off-set S,M,L sized circles that are scrap from previous berets...

its only attached with a pin now, and bounces around up there heheh, the top piece is stitched with a few more knot stitches along the middle, and pleated loosely some. the top and middle layers are sewn together in a couple spots, so they can loosely be weighted some and fall to either side...
blah blah, sorry.
65Wool/35Rayon~
kinda nudging for critiques or comments, if it makes sense in the picture and my description...

the thread i would use to run around the circumference of the 3 circles would be the same as what i topped stitched with; 5 thread-muted metallic purple vintage cotton darning.
i might be able to peel away 2 of the 5 threads to thin it out... seems like that may be necessary if i want it done right.
;-)
heheh

very soft, and very strong thread... have a variety of the same in different colors - was a very exciting find that day out.!.
=D

<3

Last edited:
alllriight..!?

im going to sew the edges of this and attach it..!
no
one thinks this is a bad idea??
i may be able to snip it off, but snags seem inevitable with this material construction.

i think i might just use black doubled over thread as the trim for the top piece, actually white could look cool,, hmm.

!!!?

I will wait for photos of the finished product before I decide what I think-
The pin together looks good though.

hmm

ill take that as a you should
lol-

;)
__________________________---
i guess, i have the top of another one made; the rim is cut out, and would 15-20 to have stay stitched...

Last edited:
So I watched the Oscars and was dress obsessing-
These were my favorites:
tumblr_lhecs8z50X1qdkxkxo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lhecpdEsHz1qe7w6zo1_400.jpg

tumblr_lhd3bfe5gX1qgvy63o1_400.jpg

and Anne Hathaways Blue dress which I can't find a good picture of....

I liked Reese Witherspoon's whole presence and Sandra Bullock looked stunning.
tumblr_lhb0r12TrE1qgm2qzo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lhayh50a471qci7wmo1_500.jpg

and of course my favorite actress:
tumblr_lhec15CX8Z1qahgtno1_400.jpg

If anyone else watched- what were your favorites?