• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Is it safe to drink every night?

marsmellow

Bluelight Crew
Like, small amounts? Like one to six beers every night? Is that enough to become an alcoholic? Will it cause any health problems?

I've wondered this myself, lately i've been drinking 1-2 beers a night an hour or so before i goto bed.

What usually happens is i'll drink tea in the winter and beer during the summer. But it has crossed my mind whether this will turn into a habit.

I remember reading recently, that 1-2 drinks a day for men, one drink a day for women (one beer, one oz of hard stuff, one glass of wine = 1 drink), Is not harmful to your health, and with some types of alcohol even beneficial. Whether or not it's habit forming probably depends on the person.

One to six beers is a rather wide range, including both small amounts and large amounts.

ebola

Yes you will form a dependance if you drink every night. Especially if the one to six beers is more nearer the six beer mark frequently.

6 beers every night a small amount, lol

define "safe"

sure, if you like cancer, decreased testosterone, weakened arteries, lower cellular integrity, lowered ability to absorb nutrients, and irritated bowels

are you gonna drop dead from it?
yes, slowly, over a period of a few decades.

(on the contrary, a single beer or small glass of wine 3-4 days a week can help in many ways, provided you live a very balanced lifestyle otherwise)

A lot of the apparent benefits of ideally moderate alcohol consumption (ie, one standard unit per day) might just be correlates that come with demonstration of being able to consume a small amount of an addictive substance on a regular basis while avoiding over-use.

ebola

^i'd think that it (the benefits) be more to do with a minor relief of everyday tension

Apparently even moderate regular consumption of alcohol has been linked to brain volume shrinkage -- whether that shrinkage actually has any measurable detrimental effect on cognitive faculties remains in question.

It's enough to keep me away from alcohol, though. Really not worth it, IMHO.

Like, small amounts? Like one to six beers every night? Is that enough to become an alcoholic? Will it cause any health problems?

Besides increased risk of type-2 diabetes, even worse than over consuming sugar, you run the risk of pancreatitis, even years after you stop drinking. Symptoms can be delayed up to a decade and hit later in life.

If you limit your alcohol use to low sugar beverages and just have 1 drink rather than a 'few', you will likely be fine.

I think its better to space it out and not drink every night. Marijuana is a better daily habit, and you can minimize the harm by using a vaporizer.

i remember reading here in australia that men shouldnt exceed 4 standard units and females shouldnt exceed over 3 standard units of alcoholl.
personally i have drunk for two weeks and im feeling fantastic.... still taking drugs tho :p

Recommended maximum intake of alcoholic beverages
Internationally recognized guidelines for ‘sensible’ alcohol consumption: is exceeding them actually detrimental to health and social circumstances? Evidence from a population-based cohort study First point is that journal article titles need more brevity and to be a little more catchy.2nd different populations are going to have very different effects. For many purposes I think the guidelines are lower than they need to be but for some groups like pregnant women and people with active hepatitis almost everyone would advise no alcohol. Many people over indulge on alcohol for decades with only minor problems. An occasional person has big problems on very little. The biggest risk I think is driving a car, working with machinery, or posting on message boards while intoxicated. The biggest thing moderate users and over indulgers can do to minimize risk is to have an absolute plan of not doing driving, boating, etc while drinking.

long titled article said:
Surpassing weekly recommendations were not associated with either all-cause or CHD mortality (Table 1), although the number of deaths in some of these analyses was relatively low. However, there was some evidence of an elevated rate of all-cause and CHD mortality in people drinking more than the recommended daily level of alcohol, but this association did not persist after adjusting for covariates. When we excluded abstainers from the sample and repeated our analyses, the relation of the two alcohol variables to total and CHD mortality risk was almost identical to those in the original analyses (results not shown but available upon request).

"Safe", yes...healthy? Depends.

Some say a glass of red wine with dinner every night has health benefits, but other studies found that women who drink even that are at a slightly higher risk for breast cancer and other health problems. Any benefits of wine can be obtained by drinking grape juice, so the alcohol content is not responsible for the positive effects. (Don't recall study source, but sure it can be Googled).

The body basically interprets alcohol as a poison--it's hard on the liver and can cause brain damage when abused. A lot of the dangers come from chronic alcohol use, which results in chronic organ damage. Six beers a day, every day sounds excessive but to each his/her own. One is probably fine.

I usally consume between 6-8 beers 5 nights a week, may need to slow down, only bennifit is i sleep like a rock just about every night.

^^ Yeah but the actual quality of the sleep you're getting probably isn't very good. Alcohol really fucks with your sleep patterns and after 6-8 beers even though you might sleep like a log all through the night, your brain probably isn't actually having much of the deepest (most therapeutic) type of sleep.
Either way, 6-8 beers a night is a reasonable amount of alcohol and yeah you should think about cutting that down a bit.

It's safest to aim to have at least 2 or 3 days per week where you don't drink ANY alcohol at all.

Failing that, one beer every night plus 1 or 2 nights per week where you drink a little bit more, is probably okay.

Six beers every night is NOT good. If you continue doing so for a long period of time, e.g. a few years, you will definitely be at a much higher risk of developing alcohol-related diseases.

6 to 8 beers a night is reasonable? While its not over the top for a party, thats pretty over the top for every day drinking. I would consider that alcoholism.

question. what if you want to be a disturbed writer? IE Hemingway, Vonnegut. or Hunter Thompson. Then would it be good????

are you gonna drop dead from it?
yes, slowly, over a period of a few decades.
I'm going to die anyway. Might as well have fun doing it.
6 to 8 beers a night is reasonable? While its not over the top for a party, thats pretty over the top for every day drinking. I would consider that alcoholism.
Usually, it's in the middle. 3-4. Some days more, some days less.

But I don't think that's enough to make me an alcoholic. I can skip days without having any serious side effects. No withdrawal or anything.