• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Sasha Shulgin suffers a stroke

slimsy

Greenlighter
November 18th, 2010

Alexander Shulgin, the one-of-a-kind chemist who crossed a diamond with a pearl, is in the hospital after a stroke. Friends are suggesting that donations can be made via the second link on this erowid.org page: Support the Shulgin Collection.

Update: More details are emerging. Family friend Greg M. writes that:

[Tuesday (11/16)] “on the way to the hospital for a scheduled test, Sasha had a stroke. He has been struggling for six months with an ulcer on his left foot that won’t heal, hoping to avoid amputation. Sasha & Ann have been in serious financial trouble for some years, and the coming medical bills will be a burden they can’t bear alone…

http://psychedelicresearch.org/?p=125

[EDIT: Moving this to FP and adding link to donate. hoptis]

On behalf of Bluelight, we send our best wishes to the Shulgins and encourage people to donate if they can to help with the Shulgin's medical bills. Thank you. Bluelight Administrators.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is sad news, and such a genius shouldn't be short on money
and this is why jersey shore is a travesty, they do not have money problems, and person who played a heavy influence on the development of north American and European popular culture and society can't afford to pay for medical treatment.

just wondering though, i know he tried out most of the things he created, i wonder if being the first one to try all thees research chemicals, contributed to his stroak, just a thought, not talking shit , this guy is one of my heros, up there with albert hoffman, and David E nichols,

So sad. I respect the Shulgins. They should certainly not be short on money if things were fair. They would be multi-millionaires.

Mr_Fluffykins, Sasha (85) is 10 years above the average life expectancy (75)...

Sasha is in my prayers to get well!

We will be donating as well as a donation to MAPS..everyone please help...BE Kind to the Grandfather of MDMA.....Olskoolrollrz

An update on Dr. Shulgin's condition;

"Dear Friends,

Sasha is in the hospital in San Francisco recovering from a small stroke that occurred at the base of the brain. The only damage "so far" seems to be to the part of the brain that controls the speech centers. So he has to enunciate carefully when he speaks, in order to be understood. There is also loss of awareness in the throat around the entrance to the windpipe. So he has to have liquids thickened slightly to prevent them from going down the wrong tube. The normal cough reflex has gone "temporarily, we hope". There is no apparent paralysis anywhere, and we all hope the damage that has occurred will repair. Sasha's left foot will need either surgery, the best course of treatment for his non-healing ulcers, or amputation, the thing we are hoping to prevent. All this is due to a circulatory problem, and the decision has to be made by the doctors very soon.

Sasha somehow maintains his good humor and his loving disposition, bless him; only when his foot is painful does he lose his smile.
We don't know when he will be back home, but we hope he will be released within a couple of days. Thank you for your concern and caring. We'll keep you informed.

Ann Shulgin" (Source: Caringbridge.org)

I don't know what to say aside hearing of his condition hurts me. I'm going to send as much as I can their way soon and hope everything works out. All the best to him and his.

Last edited:
Thats very sad everyone go buy copys of pihkal and tihkal if you havent already got one.

mild TIA? Hopefully he'll recover soon: many people who have TIAs make full recoveries.

the foot ulcer thing drastically diminishes quality of life. hopefully the surgery is successful

We've received word that:

Sasha is alert, and in good spirits. His speech is somewhat slurred, but apparently there's optimism about a full recovery.

:)

This pains me to hear about. The Shulgin's are a source of great inspiration to me and i have grown an over whelming fondness for them after receiving and beginning to read my copies of Pihkal and Tihkal a couple days ago - It's all i have been doing in my spare time the past few days. I will be donating for certain, i am more than willing to give whatever i can spare. I will meditate and "pray" in my own way on Sasha making a full recovery.

Oh such a sad experience for him to suffer after all his great life experiences.
Pray, (and donate) for him:)

Uh so are there 2 shulgins? Or does alex go by 2 completely unrelated names? Because you keep saying Alexander had a stroke then Sasha had a stroke...

Uh so are there 2 shulgins? Or does alex go by 2 completely unrelated names? Because you keep saying Alexander had a stroke then Sasha had a stroke...

Those two names actually aren't unrelated. Shulgin was born in Russia and over there Sasha is a shorthand name for Alexander. Sort of like Bill and William.