• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids took 12.5mg naltrexone, can suboxone reverse p/w?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trismegistus

Greenlighter
My fucking retard dr. prescribed me naltrexone even though I've only been off opiates a whole 3 fuckin days (I haven't used regularly to where I'm sick without them), luckily I was smart enough to only take 1/4 of a pill (12.5mg)

my question is, if I take a suboxone will it make these fucking horrible precipitated withdrawals go away?

the naloxone in suboxone will not even hit your bloodstream man.... you supposed to let the pill sit in your mouth for 20 min and once you swallow it the bupe and naloxone gets destroyed. dude and if youve been off for 3 days the sub will clear you up 100%, 3 days is a long time, you were halfway done with the worst part. tisk tisk

if you searched you will find the hundreds of threads about the same Q.. lookie here:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?p=8972830#post8972830 said:
Code:
BOTH buprenorphine and naloxone are destroyed after being swallowed.
Schematic of Oral Mucosa:
all3tw300x293.jpg

Code:
Suboxone is therefore designed to be taken ‘trans-mucosally’, i.e.
via absorption through the lining of the oral cavity into the bloodstream
(the lining of the oral cavity is called ‘mucosa.’  The passage of 
molecules through the oral mucosa is affected by a number of things–
the size of the molecule, the lipid solubility of the molecule, the 
concentration of the molecule, etc.  Buprenorphine is a lipid-soluble 
molecule that passes through the mucosa relatively easily, whereas
naloxone is more water-soluble, and crosses the mucosa very poorly.
THAT is the basis for why the naloxone in Suboxone is not active;  
only buprenorphine enters the bloodstream in significant amounts 
through the oral mucosa, and BOTH buprenorphine and naloxone are
destroyed after being swallowed.

Code:
source: 
http://suboxonetalkzone.com/2010/04/22/optimizing-absorption-of-buprenorphine/

Last edited:
That's exactly what they're prescribed for. Did your doctor not explain that to you when he gave you the script?

In theory it should. I am pretty sure bupe has a higher binding affinity than naltrexone.

Suboxone should stop the withdrawls in theory because it will out compete the naltrexone at the receptor level.

I edited your title - if this were an emergency, you should go to the ER, not post here. I hope the suboxone helps.

Edit
Some people beat me to it. Nice to know there is some caring people on Bluelight.

You should get your doctor on the phone? He really shoulda explained to you how this drug works. With the subs you wanna take them once withdrawal starts, but your in precipitated WDs which can be different. I imagine your feeling terrible, but wait to see if someone can answer your question for sure. Because you definitely don't wanna make it worse.

I know at the hospital when they treat people for opiate Wds with naltrexone they sedate them or use general anaesthesia because it can be that unpleasant. I was thinking of having it done for a rapid detox because I'm so sick of getting WDs. At least you only took 1/4, hang in there I'm sure someone on here will know.

no need, if you use it correctly it will work =D good luck little dude

I believe the OP ingested a quarter tablet of a 50mg naltrexone pill. This is a different opiate antagonist than naloxone, which is in Suboxone (though they only add 2mg of naloxone into an 8mg pill).

I am also going to say that, in all likelihood, Suboxone should still work, as it should outcompete naltrexone.

Thank GOD that worked. The doctor didn't tell me shit, i've been waiting to get a vivitrol shot for like 2 weeks now, and I guess i'm supposed to get it tomorrow but that aint gonna happen. I knew the pill would make me sick, but i didnt think it'd make me sick unless I was physically dependent on opiates. I'm just glad I only took like 12mg instead of a whopping 50 or I'd really be dying right now.

I told the doc that I slipped up a few times, and he just called in the pills over the phone. Aren't you supposed to administer a test first to see what kind of reaction the person has?

and yeah, it was naltrexone not naloxone. I don't know if this suboxone is working or not, it usually takes a minute after I IV it for it to start kickin, but the dopesick just came back a little bit.

Thank GOD that worked. The doctor didn't tell me shit, i've been waiting to get a vivitrol shot for like 2 weeks now, and I guess i'm supposed to get it tomorrow but that aint gonna happen. I knew the pill would make me sick, but i didnt think it'd make me sick unless I was physically dependent on opiates. I'm just glad I only took like 12mg instead of a whopping 50 or I'd really be dying right now.

I told the doc that I slipped up a few times, and he just called in the pills over the phone. Aren't you supposed to administer a test first to see what kind of reaction the person has?

Even in people without any opiate tolerance, opiate antagonists are reported to be unpleasant.

A doctor doesn't have to give you naltrexone while observing you. The reason why no doctor would do this in practice: no one likes naltrexone, and the doctor doesn't want someone yelling and screaming at them "Why didn't you tell me", "Why did you do this to me", etc.

They observe you while in Suboxone induction, because the expected reaction is at least some degree of relief.

Well hey, at least you know now NOT to get the Vivtrol depot injection, and the pill will wear off *much* quicker than the shot. That should be a huge relief!

So your telling me even if I had the clean time from opiates naltrexone is still gonna make me feel like total shit?

So your telling me even if I had the clean time from opiates naltrexone is still gonna make me feel like total shit?

Yes, I believe this is going to be the case.

There was a trip report I read, in which two people took some drugs. I am pretty sure one person was tripping hard, and the other person wasn't. The person who wasn't tripping hard took some GBL or GHB, and passed out. The person tripping thought their friend had overdosed, so they called an ambulance, which took the passed out person to the hospital.

There, they assumed heroin was the culprit (not GABAergics) so they administered intravenous naloxone. This agitated the person, even though they were not an opiate dependent person, nor were they on opiates at the time of the intravenous shot of naloxone.

So, as far as I am aware, a "normal dose" (i.e. 10mg to 50mg) of naltrexone should make you feel like shit, even when you're not on opiates.

If you took a low enough dose of it (less than 1mg), you might only get baseline/threshold effects, and it might not make you feel "shitty", or anything at all.

I've read that buprenorphine OD cannot be treated with nalaxone and i'm under the impression naltrexone doesn't compete with buprenorphine and its ridiculous affinity for mu receptors. so in theory suboxone would stop a naltrexone induced precipitated WD

I've read that buprenorphine OD cannot be treated with nalaxone and i'm under the impression naltrexone doesn't compete with buprenorphine and its ridiculous affinity for mu receptors. so in theory suboxone would stop a naltrexone induced precipitated WD

Yeah, this was also his subjective experience. Diprenorphine may reverse buprenorphine's effects/OD, but that's all I have heard. I think buprenorphine still has a higher affinity to all other opiate antagonists and agonists, other than possibly diprenorphine. It's not commonly stocked in any ER's or ambulances so it's unlikely anyone would ever be treated with it.

My fucking retard dr. prescribed me naltrexone even though I've only been off opiates a whole 3 fuckin days (I haven't used regularly to where I'm sick without them), luckily I was smart enough to only take 1/4 of a pill (12.5mg)

my question is, if I take a suboxone will it make these fucking horrible precipitated withdrawals go away?

Did you tell your doctor that you've only been off for 3 days? And if you knew that you couldn't take the Naltrexone yet A) why didn't you mention that when he wrote the prescription and B) why did you take it?

That aside, the bupe in the Suboxone may be strong enough to knock the naltrexone off, if it isn't then the Naltrexone should wear off in about 6 hours and whatever opiates you had in your system will reattach to the receptors.

I'd wait it out. The sub might put you through even more WD's and its impossible to reverse WD due to subs.

OP has already responded in this very thread saying that he took suboxone and it worked. ^^

OP has already responded in this very thread saying that he took suboxone and it worked. ^^

Since this has run its course, I'm going to close it. I'm also going to move this thread to the archive since it is a nice subjective report about buprenorphine's higher affinity for the mu opioid receptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.