• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Soma for klonopin withdrawal

jake99

Bluelighter
anyone think soma can help me get off klonopin ? i have been on 3 mg k pin a day afew monhs and im trying to lower it because the methadone clinic doesnt allow it. im tryng to just take somas instead , and taper off the k pin ? seems to help so far...any opinions ?

its a GABAergic like clonazepam, so i guess it would help.

but in my experience somas aren't very strong. however some people say they get strong effects, so idk about that.

anyway somas should help with clonazepam withdrawl, but i think you would need a lot of soma.

Carisoprodol's metabolite, meprobamate, acts on the GABA-A receptors in a manner similar to barbiturates. It might reduce seizure-risk by this mechanism, but I can't say for sure.

Carisoprodol's metabolite, meprobamate, acts on the GABA-A receptors in a manner similar to barbiturates. It might reduce seizure-risk by this mechanism, but I can't say for sure.

it doesn't produce meprobamate in large amounts as a metabolite, but i see your point.

It will reduce the chances of seizures, calm you down and relieve muscle pain to a certain extent. Meprobamate & clonazepam both work on the same receptors.

This is somewhat off topic but I found that Clonidine helped me a great deal when withdrawing from Xanax. Reason I'm sharing this is that perhaps it'll help you with Klonopin withdrawal if you happen to have or get some. Apparently Clonidine is used for alcohol withdrawal according to this article (so I can see how it could potentially help with benzo withdrawal as well): http://www.drugs.com/clonidine.html

Last edited:
it will only reduce the risk of seizures for a short time.. i believe i have heard that carisoprodol is actually known for causing seizures itself when it wears off, something like a rebound seizure from going from high threshold to low threshold (kinda like drinking alcohol for benzo w/d, it works while you're drinking and drunk but when the alcohol wears off your risk is raised).

EDIT: i may be wrong though, so don't quote me on that lol.
a google search for "carisoprodol seizure threshold" might show something like what im saying.

Last edited:
It will reduce the chances of seizures, calm you down and relieve muscle pain to a certain extent. Meprobamate & clonazepam both work on the same receptors.

^ even though both meprobamate act on GABA-a receptors, clonazepam acts on the benzodiazepine site of GABA-a while meprobamate acts on GABA-a in a more similar way that barbiturates act.

with that being said, benzos and drugs with a barbiturate like action(in this case meprobamate metabolized from carisoprodol) are cross tolerant with each other and stop withdrawl symptoms.

however the dose of carisoprodol will have to be large enough to produce enough meprobamate that will affect GABA receptors equivalent to what the dose he's taking of clonazepam does. now that would take A LOT of carisoprodol.

i'm not sure but if you have enough soma, it should work. things to remember about trying to substitute these is that carisoprodol may have toxic effects at the dose that would(in theory) stop clonazepam withdrawl, and also the metabolite mebrobamate acts similar to a barbiturate making it more dangerous than clonazepam(easy to overdose, overdose is much more serious).

maybe try to get some phenprobamate, it's not hard to find.

or instead of looking at other GABAergics that may or may not help benzo withdrawl he can use diazepam(Valium; a benzo thats great for tapering due to its long half live and easy to manage dosing) to get off clonazepam.

to taper swich to an equalvant dose of diazepam(10mg. diazepam = .5mg. clonazepam) and gradualy cut dose down by 10mg. after certain intervals of time(idk but i think its like 2 weeks, i've never tapered) until you are at a very low dose(10mg. diazepam), then from there either go cold turkey or get down to 5mg. and go lower and lower.

tapering with diazepam is probably a better solution than going to other non benzo drugs that could have unpredictable results on helping withdrawls.

yeah if i take 2 350 mg soma i feel it but one doesnt do much.................they are good for sleep but not great to take during the day .............i think once i finish school in a month im gonna detox off opiates for good , and possiby benzos . ive been on methadone clinic a month , and already am sick of goin there every day . it was helpin when i didnt have money for dope but once got money i still wanted to get high even on 80 mg methadone