Nicki Minaj...love or hate

love, hate, or just completely indifferent towards Nicki Minaj

• Total voters
My flow's stupid, wheelchair-bound
take the small bus all year round
I pop out with a helmet on my head
Bottle of new meds and a good pair of Keds

i fucking LOVE Nicki Minaj. EVERYTHING ABOUT HER I FUCKING LOVE ME SOME NICKI FUCKING MINAJ!

Khadijah, i am the sad. We are such sisters when it comes to just about everything, and I'm totally sad that you don't share my nicki love.

tumblr_ll84fxx4U51qzklyno1_500.gif

tumblr_lj15063bAO1qh54fjo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lrf834lhml1qixl86o1_500.png

her feature on Britney Spears' "Till The World Ends"? awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngmz7Dfs9CU

or her thing on SNL with the Lonely Island? awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLPZmPaHme0&ob=av3e

i love nicki nicki nicki nicki!!!!!

i know she's totally fucking fierce. just look at her. she doesn't even fucking care.

tumblr_lsjy7jKxRY1qefer0o1_500.jpg

i'm a bad bitch! i'm a cunt!

Straight stuntin', Nicki's no amateur
Blue hair, blue lips, her face is on Avatar

-cb (2011)

i know she's totally fucking fierce. just look at her. she doesn't even fucking care.

i'm a bad bitch! i'm a cunt!

But isn't this sort of attitude (not caring) just a current theme in popular music (Gaga and her general image, that Sri Lankan chick). I almost feel that in this day and age "not caring" has simply become another form of "caring" and self promotion.

/End cynical mini-rant

But isn't this sort of attitude (not caring) just a current theme in popular music (Gaga and her general image, that Sri Lankan chick). I almost feel that in this day and age "not caring" has simply become another form of "caring" and self promotion.

/End cynical mini-rant

i don't know how those women could even be compared. Nicki Minaj is a rapper on a heavyweight male dominated label. She doesn't sell her sex in the same way that Lil Kim does, to me she's more like Missy Elliot, or Salt N Pepa. she doesn't care about selling sex to men to sell her records. when she does sell her sex, she's selling it to me, to other women. she doesn't care about the male gaze. the 'Super Bass' video has her spilling pink ejaculate all over hot basically naked bros. I don't think she's selling that to men, ya know?

Lady Gaga cares about a gaze, but a gaygaze. She doesn't care if men want to sleep with her, she wants women to want to sleep with her, and gay men to be her. She dresses up in drag and calls her alterego a transsexual man.

M.I.A. is a radical child of a Tamil Tiger who is bent on making her rhymes about third world revolutions and take downs of oppressive agents and gets denied visas into my country because the previous administration thought she was a terrorist.. I have no idea how you decided to compare those three.

Just look at them:

M.I.A.
tumblr_lmasycKARa1qkqo8no1_500.png

Lady Gaga
tumblr_lsgvdhzbsM1qityxfo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lsn9j1xoc81qaq8z8o1_500.jpg

Nicki Minaj
tumblr_lj15063bAO1qh54fjo1_500.jpg

the only thing i think they have in common besides vaginas and progressive ideas about being a girl in the biz are mad haters ;)

back on topic, this video has been making the rounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7hTAp6KrGY&feature=player_embedded

five year old girl rapping super bass, complete with the references to selling coke and all that shit.

An ode to the disconnected, modern female. She is as confused with regard to her new role as she is wide-eyed with ambition and anticipation.

Muny

Nicki-Minaj-in-LA-at-BOA-01.jpg

i don't know how those women could even be compared. Nicki Minaj is a rapper on a heavyweight male dominated label. She doesn't sell her sex in the same way that Lil Kim does, to me she's more like Missy Elliot, or Salt N Pepa. she doesn't care about selling sex to men to sell her records. when she does sell her sex, she's selling it to me, to other women. she doesn't care about the male gaze. the 'Super Bass' video has her spilling pink ejaculate all over hot basically naked bros. I don't think she's selling that to men, ya know?

Lady Gaga cares about a gaze, but a gaygaze. She doesn't care if men want to sleep with her, she wants women to want to sleep with her, and gay men to be her. She dresses up in drag and calls her alterego a transsexual man.

M.I.A. is a radical child of a Tamil Tiger who is bent on making her rhymes about third world revolutions and take downs of oppressive agents and gets denied visas into my country because the previous administration thought she was a terrorist.. I have no idea how you decided to compare those three.

Oh I am not arguing about the whole rapper on a heavyweight male dominated label. And I am not saying that she sells sex to men. But she does sell an image, and I feel that in some ways she seems to be more focused on her image than her music. It's almost like her music is an extension of her image (as opposed to the other way round).

I am not too sure about MIA being radical. You can't be very radical if everyone plays your tracks at frat parties. There's nothing wrong with having your music played at frat parties, but you can't present yourself as being a "rebel" at the same time.

Check this article our if you're bored: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/magazine/30mia-t.html?pagewanted=all

I just get the feeling that what Nicki, Gaga and MIA all have in common is that they present a controversial/scandalous image of themselves for PR purposes. The details of the implementation might be different, but the basic idea is the same. Personally, I think artists should focus on their music first and then their image.

YMMV

I put hate, I'm not really fan. But to be honest most new music sucks anyway...

I am not too sure about MIA being radical. You can't be very radical if everyone plays your tracks at frat parties. There's nothing wrong with having your music played at frat parties, but you can't present yourself as being a "rebel" at the same time.

please just repeat that to yourself and think about how ridiculous you sound. I'm Karl Marx and I've just published The Communist Manifesto. I'm no longer a radical person because some rich bitch has taken a copy of my book and photographed herself reading it surrounded by all her luxury items.

I only know who she is because her boob fell out on live tv.

I must be getting old.

please just repeat that to yourself and think about how ridiculous you sound. I'm Karl Marx and I've just published The Communist Manifesto. I'm no longer a radical person because some rich bitch has taken a copy of my book and photographed herself reading it surrounded by all her luxury items.

Ha? I don't see how this has anything to do with MIA (not) being radical... What's so radical about her beyond the PR and image she cultivates?