• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why do junkies have an easier time getting drugs than pain patients?

Sentience

Bluelighter
Absolutely no disrespect to junkies, but there seems to be a trend where in many instances drug addicts who openly admit to having a problem have an easier time getting effective pain drugs, like Methadone, than people who are actually in chronic pain. Why is this? Is this totally backwards or what?

I have considered faking a drug addiction just so I can have my pain treated. I think thats funny because other people fake a pain problem to get drugs, but maybe they are going about it all wrong.

the reason why junkies get drugs easier is that they are junkies. if they didn't have access to opiates then we wouldn't be junkies.
but i understand what you are getting at. it seems as though legitimate drsd are heitant and prescribing pain meds because of all the hassels that it presents them. to them they don't make any more money if they prescribe a narcotic than a non-narcotic pain reliever.
and methadone is very easy to get. most citeies have methadone clinics that will give it to addicts to help them get off other opiates. the clinics i've been to were easy, just do an intake, test positive for opiates and they prescribe you a dose and you have to go to the clinic almost everyday to get your dose. once you are there for a while they start letting you take home 1 dose at a time.
but methadone isn't anything i would recomend ppl getting involved in. you become tied to the clinic, you have to pay every week and it's very hard to quit methadone.

My previous asshole doctor switched me from morphine to Methadone and almost killed me because he is an idiot and under qualified to be managing my meds.

Back when our relationship was better he used to threaten me, basically saying that if you want a liberal doctor who will treat your pain I am it, but if you question me I will send you to the dragon lady who will ween you off and not care that you are in pain.

After he almost killed me, I told him that I dont have confidence in his ability to manage my case and to please transfer me. He didnt like that. He conspired to send me to that other lady, not because of changes in my medical case or because I was abusing my meds, but as punishment for insulting him.

However, I explained what happened, that he overdosed me and that I have never had a problem running out early or getting multiple scripts or anything like that, and I think I have a doctor who is on my side....but Ive made 4 backup appointments with other doctors just in case.

Absolutely no disrespect to junkies, but there seems to be a trend where in many instances drug addicts who openly admit to having a problem have an easier time getting effective pain drugs, like Methadone, than people who are actually in chronic pain. Why is this? Is this totally backwards or what?

I have considered faking a drug addiction just so I can have my pain treated. I think thats funny because other people fake a pain problem to get drugs, but maybe they are going about it all wrong.

Well the reason a lot of junkies get methadone is because it is used as a maintenance drug for them, ever hear of methadone clinics?

read the James Brown topic in tds, fer sure goes against it "being easier for a junkie to get pain meds."

Well, here in the SF Bay Area we are very progressive in regard to Methadone clinics, while many doctors shy away from prescribing drugs that are actually needed because of DEA harassment.

Because they can put on any sharade to get what they want and what they need. It's sad actually. They pretend to be your friend so they get can get shit off of you.. I just quit a job because my bosses were junkies posing as my best friends trying to get meds off of me when they get scripted 3 times what I get. I get 60 opana 30's a month, 150 roxi 15's a month.. Mind you they get 3 times what I get plus her husband gets 150 roxi 30's a month and it's gone in a weekend. GONE. Then they spend every cent they have on the streets to buy drugs. Now they are losing their house and their business soon after. It's some fucked up shit. I fucking hate her guts. Death to fake friends.

I make my meds last through the month and get high a few times.. but unless they're nodding the fuck out they dont think their meds are working. But wtf ever, I digress. Now I just don't share with anyone because I am tired of people saying hello to me with their hands out. I told everyone I went off my meds so they would leave me the fuck alone.

methadone and bupe are substitute drugs... they are suposed to lower crime (people stealing for dope), get people off the needle (allthough lots of people shoot bupe)...

With Pain patients in a lot of cases, they are scared that if they put u on strong painkillers, you will get addicted and become a junky (this happens a lot)....

just a couple of ideas

What about the harm of me being in pain?

I am more likely to buy heroin or start a pod habit if I cant get regulated meds than if my doctor supervises.

Sentience...your statements earlier indicate you are drug seeking...your doc is very willing to write scripts and your foremost concern when answering 'What about the harm of me being in pain?' is an opiate drug habit (pod tea or heroin).

the harm of my pain?
i don't sleep well so i abuse my Adderall to just get through a day. My life is dysfunctional i feel like i live a painful lucid dream. I want to just give up on life. Because my doctor is concerned about being taken advantage of by addicts i've gotten opiates ONCE...40 tylenol 3s which were such a blessing...i stretched 40 more than two months. Harm? I am going to lose my job because of my pain and my life's quality sucks...without a job i can't see things improving.

im pretty sure this is an economics question. if you as an honest person seeking medicine doesnt get your drugs, you politely write a post on a drug based website. if a junkie doesnt get his drugs he continues to use any method moral or amoral to get the drug. more damage is caused by a junkie who doesnt get meds than someone like yourself....

I would say for the simple reason that, A "opiate user" is already taking opiates and tolerates them really well. Where as a pain patient might not tolerate opiates as well and is more of a risk actually.

Because anyone who takes opiates for pain is going to become a "junky" so somone that already is, is in one way a safer bet.

Sentience...your statements earlier indicate you are drug seeking.

It depends on what you mean by "drug seeking". I am seeking drugs because I am in pain. Severe pain. I crave relief from that pain more than any buzz or fatigue that the drugs give me. In fact, I dont really enjoy the effects of MSContin and stopped enjoying the effects of OxyCodone.

your doc is very willing to write scripts and your foremost concern when answering 'What about the harm of me being in pain?' is an opiate drug habit (pod tea or heroin).

What? That was not entirely coherent.

"Is an opiate drug habit" is not a proper sentence, and it sounds like a question rather than an answer, but Im not sure.

Are you talking about where I mentioned that I would probably self medicate, because I am in extreme pain, if I didnt have access to medication? Is that a sign of addiction, or is that a sign that I am in pain and cannot cope with the pain unmedicated?

I dont think you understand what its like to be in pain. Its not the same thing as addiction. I would be frantic to get drugs if I didnt have them, but not in order to chase a high. I would do it because the pain is so severe.

i don't sleep well so i abuse my Adderall to just get through a day.

I always too my medication as directed for its intended purpose.

Because my doctor is concerned about being taken advantage of by addicts

That should be irrelevant. A doctor should first and foremost work to treat the sick and help people in pain. If a few addicts want to scam a doctor for drugs, that sucks for the people scamming, but it doesnt break the doctors leg or rob him. As long as the doctor sees evidence of legitimate pain, he should treat it. If others cant handle themselves, its not his fault. At least he can sleep knowing he did his part and didnt leave somebody in pain.

Doctors are not creating addicts. Addicts were already addicts. Most addicts are introduced to drugs when they are not in pain.

Also, even for those who are addicted, its better to get prescription grade drugs from a pharmacy at insurance prices than dirty and cut street drugs for cash and your mothers furniture. You might actually be doing addicts a favor by providing them an alternative to the black market, and at least monitoring them.

More than anything however, it upsets me that people who are really in pain are not being helped because of an anti-drug craze.

I would say for the simple reason that, A "opiate user" is already taking opiates and tolerates them really well. Where as a pain patient might not tolerate opiates as well and is more of a risk actually.

Because anyone who takes opiates for pain is going to become a "junky" so somone that already is, is in one way a safer bet.

I have been using opiates for over a year for a very real condition that is extremely painful.

If I didnt have access to pain medication I would seek the black market, but not in order to chase a high, but just to be pain free.

Alexander the great fed his army opium so they could conquer rome. Took all the pain away.. go get high and rid your pain at the same time.. =). It comes from a plant.. I treat those sort of drugs as I would a new countru id like to travel too... each one is a new frontier. Moderation is key of course. EXTREME moderation

Chronic pain patients are discriminated against BECAUSE of drug abusers, that is a point that really can not be argued! The DEA would NOT be giving DR's a hard time w prescribing methods if there weren't so many people abusing those same pain drugs illegally! In fact it really wasn't an issue until this past decade when prescription opiates gained such popularity on the black market!
Before that, pain patients had a far easier time with the proper treatment of their pain, NOW the DEA is breathing down the necks of any drs prescribing CII's, due to their abundance of misuse by drug addicts seeking a "high". Pain patients seek relief= BIG DIFFERENCE! This country has really gone to shit, look on the wall at any hospital you go to and I guarantee you will see a sign about how it is the medical care systems "duty" to properly treat pain for those who have it! I just lmfao every time I see these, because drs have ignored their ethical dutiy due to the DEA's bullying of them! In fact, I am a cpp, and my "wonder drug" is no more, due to the druggies on the street abusing it (oxycontin). I am now back to the drawing board after years of trial and error finding proper pain relief. Why can't those f'n junkies just stick to their god damn heroin, it's not like there is any lack of it, shit there is more of it now(and at cheaper prices) than any time in recent history! But, since teenagers started stealing their parents meds, and the high demand for oxycontin on the bm, the FDA and DEA forced a perfectly good pm off the market! So DONT SAY pain patients are not discriminated against! Those junkies can still go get their heroin or methadone, while people in true pain like myself and many others are now forced to fuck around with all different types of pain meds when there was a perfectly good one for the last 15+ years. I cant go buy heroin, nor would I, but I also cant find anything that compares to oxycontin, as far as proper pain relief w few side effects. AND THE USA IS A FUCKING DISGRACE, as we are the only country IN THE WORLD TO ALLOW THIS NEW FORMULA TO BE PRESCRIBED!! It is a combination of greed, corruption, AND MOST SICKENING A DISREGARD FOR THOSE IN "REAL" PAIN!

I could never afford Oxycontin time release, by oxycodone (Roxi's) work better for me than my long acting MSContin....It sucks. I am still in pain, using my breakthrough medication as my primary pain killer because the morphine just doesnt help much.