Spring Cleaning 2010 - down under style

Guys, pleeeezzze 8) I love BL, but Bluelight posting habits are not prime indicators of what is a pressing area of science. The lounge posts outweigh PD. What does that say about science? Does ADD's fewer posts indicate they are on the wrong track when it comes to science :) I mean this nicely, just am not in the right set, setting, or dose I'm guessing <3

you're thinking about it to much brah
just eat this acid and put on some grateful dead ;)

perhaps save the 50-200 good posts from each one and get rid of the rest?

We'll create a temporary 'PENDING DELETION' folder for each forum as it is under review, allowing for the members to pitch in and bump things or ask that they be saved (mods shouldn't have to do all the work)
^both good ideas.

still sad.

yeah just delete the whole site... that'd clean it up the mad ;)

just kidding ;)

Guys, pleeeezzze 8) I love BL, but Bluelight posting habits are not prime indicators of what is a pressing area of science. The lounge posts outweigh PD. What does that say about science? Does ADD's fewer posts indicate they are on the wrong track when it comes to science :) I mean this nicely, just am not in the right set, setting, or dose I'm guessing <3

It's not a perfect science. :\
Obviously I wasn't entirely serious but yeah, it does show that much less seems to be known about psychedelics compared to other drugs.

y0 thizzer, I wasn't around for the last one, so i'll do it together with you this time. posting this in the mdo thread too.

hey guys

i hope we have jovial discussions hurr

some of the finest accomplishments in life arise from self analysis

Last edited by a moderator:
NSFW:

hobbes gobs
Greenlighter

hmmm.. with these three genius posts in a support thread, i can only speculate as to how awesome your 1st post must have been. 1/10 TROLL HARDER ;)

anyway back ontopic, why not condense all the 1000+ lounge ttys threads down to just image links that are still valid (relatively simple grep work) merge into mega-ttys imageboard thread or something/other and be done with them.

hey guys

I've merged your 3 posts into one post. Please just use the edit button next time if you have something to add to your original post instead of posting 3 in a row. Also, you are derailing this thread... but you are welcome to start your own thread. A good place to start is in New Member Introductions, which I see has already been suggested to you in the other thread you posted in :)

Can we have some of the old threads archived by replying "archive this thread" like we did last time there was a site prune?

My suggestions:

1. Get a faster server and keep more.

2. Split the data into two seperate DBs. Will take some work but the archives are exactly that, im sure they are not requested as much and as they are the bulk of the olds then maybe having it distribuited to a diff DB would speed things up. Would make searches more inconvienient.

Im not a DB architecht (well not a good one anyway) but im sure someone on the know can confirm/deny my thoughts.

Priest - most archives are locked from getting replies, so bumps won't work. However, you can still use the REPORT POST function to flag them for moderator saving. That said, you'll most likely see the archive content being put thru the local 'PENDING DELETION' folders when we finish reviewing the forum proper....so hold off until the spotlight is actually on those particular threads, please.

PE - Right now, we're struggling to meet the financial demands of our current hosting (server cost, bandwidth, etc). Ideally, yes, we increase those for better performance - but for now, we can't, so we reduce the bloat we've got and keep operating. Secondly, as a db worker, you are probably familiar with the amount of debris left all over the place as time goes on. This cleaning exercise is also beneficial for an information site like ours in that future users that search for data are provided a shorter list of more relevant discussions, as opposed to a funkton of discussions they have to sift thru to find useful data.

My suggestions:

2. Split the data into two seperate DBs. Will take some work but the archives are exactly that, im sure they are not requested as much and as they are the bulk of the olds then maybe having it distribuited to a diff DB would speed things up. Would make searches more inconvienient.

Im not a DB architecht (well not a good one anyway) but im sure someone on the know can confirm/deny my thoughts.

My suggestions:

1. Donate.

2. You pay the difference from what its already costing us. =D

If someone has a subscription to a thread that is pruned does the subscription go into the nether world along with the thread? Does someone pruning their subscriptions help reduce that user's impact on the server load in anyway?

Pruning your subscriptions will not make any noticeable impact on the server.

If you are subscribed to a thread that gets pruned, it gets removed from your subscription list (just tested to make sure). So, you wouldn't know it got pruned unless you happened to notice it was missing from that list. Point being (thanks for bringing this up, Enki) is that if anyone is subscribed to threads, it would be wise to bump those and make sure they don't get pruned. :)

Any chance ADD can be left untouched? It's a tiny portion overall but has some of the best information on the entire site. Unlike so many other forums, very little is social in nature and the vast majority is useful and will be useful a decade from now.

If something has to go limit it to all the crap that's been locked. Vecktor and Nuke are pretty good about locking nonsense.

I'd recommend keeping anything I've ever started. Seriously though, threads started by Nuke, Murphy, Vecktor, FnB, Pomzazed, Enkidu, Mad_Scientist and a half dozen others should be left alone for sure.

^Thats why we have the whole "pending deletion" temp forums, where mods and users can bump or report things they feel are worth saving :)

Edit: I just had a quick look through there, it doesnt look like anything is at risk of being pruned anyway because everything has been responded to within 2010, so you should be fine.

Every thread worth keeping in ADD has a post in it within the past 11 months? Weird.

My suggestions:

Once it starts raining money, we'd definitely look at hardware options.

There are a lot of performance issues we can look at, hopefully one day, one (or enough) of these will mean we won't have to prune as often, if at all. Until then unfortunately, these are necessary.

Also, the day it starts raining money, you may have to find someone else to do all this because I'll be missing in action for a while.

Last edited:
Fizzle posted this in another thread, but it ought to be in this one as well, given this is the one the site announcement keeps bringing people into:

Update: I just got a PM asking about pruning, I should have explained it here but I didnt even think about the fact that many of our members are new and have never experienced a prune, so I'll explain it here... most of you have probably been experiencing a lot of the slow downs and time outs that have been happening lately. A lot of that is due to server overload, a LOT of people use this site and it has tons of info stored on it. Every year or two we go through and do a hard delete of old threads earlier than a certain date, but that means we have to make sure our important threads dont get lost in the process. In this case our prune will be for anything that has not been replied to within the year 2010. If there is something you want to save, simply bump the thread (you can just say "bump to save from prune" or whatever, just something so that theres a response) And yes, you as members are encouraged to help. Just make sure its a thread of value, because if every thread gets bumped it sort of defies the point of the prune lol but we've never had a problem with that. This is also the first time we will be going through and pruning archives, so if theres anything in there you want to save be sure to talk to a mod (I dont think members can post in archives, but I dont remember for sure). Anything replied to in 2010 is safe, so dont worry about those.

If you have a thread that you arent sure about, just link it here rather than bump it, that way you can get feedback from others as well. However if a forum doesnt have a thread like this and there is a thread you arent sure about, just ask the mods of that forum. If there is a thread that you just MUST save, or are pretty sure others would want saved, go ahead and bump it :)

If anyone has any more questions you can ask them here.

bluelight unresponsive

Hiro ladies/fellas

I know there is a thread about slow response times but i can't find it.

I've noticed the past couple of nights at around 10pm(GMT) the site pretty much crawls to a halt, pages take ages to load and sometimes don't load at all, this also happens on pillreports.com at the same time which i assume runs on the same server?

is this going to be an ongoing issue until the prune is complete?

cheers

WT