female musicians

tribal girl

Bluelight Crew
I know there's already a thread on great music with great female singers, favourite girl led bands and whatnot, but I couldn't find anything specifically dedicated to female musicians during my search. I'm talkin' about inspirational figures (in terms of what they've had to endure for their art), talented musicians who may not be appreciated as much as they should due to being swept away by the underground scene etc. Or it could be someone who is well established, but you wanna mention anyway cuz you simply cannot contain your love. :)

Anyhow, it occurred to me when I was walking to work the other day that I'd had this melody stuck in my head from the previous day. And I thought, "bloody hell, that's a damn good riff for it to be still stuck in my head from yesterday". And as I walked further up the street, I started thinkin' about how certain female musicians often get overlooked. I think there should be a place where we can appreciate them. Cuz often-times, they're self-taught, inventive, and unique. Not always well liked by the masses as a result, but certainly inspirational to fellow female musicians such as myself. So I wanted to start a thread where people can share the relatively unknowns, the unappreciated, the pioneers. Whatever affects you, feel free to post pics, links, articles, discuss, criticise...whatever you want. :)

I wanna start with Janet Weiss - drummer (Sleater-Kinney, Quasi, Wild Flag). Whenever I saw her play live with Sleater-Kinney, I was always mesmerised by her playing. In my mind, she's one of the coolest female drummers out there:
l_ed8994e139d5a4b9b05689c899cfe80e.jpg

Drum battle between Janet and Sara Lund.

Mary Timony - singer/guitarist (Autoclave, Helium, The Mary Timony Band, Wild Flag). She's a big inspiration to me. I'm in love with her inventive style, her love of Fender guitars, and her alternate tunings (usually DADGAE):
marytimony3.jpg

Mary playing Sharpshooter live at Fort Reno.

And then recently I accidentally found a video by an old punk band called Penetration and was in awe of Pauline Murray's guts when a member of the audience continued to throw and spit beer at her during the song. Don't worry, he gets his comeuppance. :D
pene007.jpg

Don't Dictate (live)

Taylor Momsen is an American actress, musician, and model who fronts the rock band The Pretty Reckless.
vocals, rhythm guitar, songwriter
7eb6bfba1c838a7e_taylor.jpg

Amy Lynn Hartzler (née Lee; born December 13, 1981), better known as Amy Lee, is an American singer-songwriter and classically trained pianist. She is co-founder and lead vocalist of the rock band Evanescence
1211-amy-lee.jpg

Hayley Nichole Williams[1][2] ( born December 27, 1988 ) is an American singer, songwriter and the lead vocalist[4] and keyboardist[5] of Paramore.
hayley_williams_1216010582.jpg

Her musical style/genre is completely different to what I usually listen to but I really like Lissie.

Lissie_1089973a.jpg

^Yep, I hear ya!. :)

I've seen her live a couple of times now. Once when she was supporting Sleater-Kinney with just her and her geetar and she ran off stage midway through. Then the second time she played in a church with a full band. :)

I much prefer her earlier work though. Favourite album, Max?. I'm going with Moon Pix. It's pure bliss.
cat_power-moon_pix.jpg

Cat Power - Say

<3

I <3 Cat Power.

Bjork, PJ Harvey and Tori Amos-
Each of these women have touched a different part of me........

Bjork- The Goddess.

Natasha Khan (Bat for Lashes)-
She's awesome.

Florence Welch-
Those lungs. Those legs. <3

I also like Bjork and PJ Harvey. And as appealing and seductive as Tori Amos is, I could never get into her music. She's gorgeous though.

Exene Cervenka - singer (X)
tumblr_l95r8rKzWw1qavrz1o1_500.jpg

The thing with X was, John Doe had the warm bluesy voice, and Exene had the screeching, rambling, discordant wail. But together they produced off-kilter harmonies which I continue to adore. And since their reformation, she no longer sings this way. She's kinda learned how to sing (LOL) and it's taken the edge off imo.

X - We're Desperate (live)

The subtitles are the icing on the cake. Oh, how I love thee. =D

^I am in love with her.
Was listening to Fever Ray just a little while ago <3

Siouxsie Sioux

And I am wearing a Billie Shirt now. :) Billie Holiday:

Billie Holiday is awesome.

We need some Nina Simone too.

ns-young-talented-and-black.jpg

Janis Joplin - singer...well, a whole lot more than that really
tumblr_lbjca6Q3Ba1qcxtv3o1_500.jpg

I remember I kept hearing about Janis Joplin when I was younger. So much so that I figured I should see what all the fuss was about. And I knew my dad had at least one of her albums in his collection, so I asked if I could borrow it. And when I played it I felt something in her voice, but there was something missing from the songs in general. So I gave the cassette back to my dad. But every now and then I felt the urge to keep borrowing it until one day the songs finally stuck with me. That album was this:
album-in-concert.jpg

And it still remains my favourite recording of hers to this day. I've always loved this track in particular. So haunting. <3

All Is Loneliness

Awesome thread:) Lovin Janice, PJ, Nina, Siouxie and Billie!
@Ocean ~starting to get really in2 Fever Ray, after being intro'd to them; from your posts on 'What Song fits ur Mood'!

Ani De Franco
Ani+DiFranco.png

difranco.gif

ani-difranco_001238_mainpicture.jpg

Last edited:
3118107294_4571ee6053_z.jpg

Kira Roessler, bassist for one of the most macho bands out there, Black Flag

if you mention billie holliday, it's only fair to bring up ella and sarah vaughan!

just some more because i love her

grace_jones.jpg

Pull up to my bumper baby,
In your long black limosine,
Pull up to my bumper baby,
And drive it in between.

Pull up, to it, don't drive, through it,
Back it, up twice, now that, fit's nice.