female musicians

Grace Jones is the shit!. :D

I only started listening to her seriously like last year or something. Pull Up To My Bumper was the track that suckered me in. What A tune. And she's such a character. I always loved her in A View To A Kill, whereas my mum always felt the need to express her hate for her. I think it was the androgyny thing that my mum hated, whereas that's always something that's appealed to me. :)

+1 for Kim Deal. She's amazing. <3

I like to keep with the obscure so I'm going with Christina Billotte (Slant 6, Autoclave, Casual Dots, Quix*O*Tic)
A2L.jpg

An awesome guitarist with an inventive style. I think she was even on some list for one of the best female guitarists ever or summink.

There's not very much decent footage of her with any of her bands, but I found this old Slant 6 thing the other day which is pretty cool. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVATyPAUK-g&feature=related

22Chrissie-Hynde.jpg

chrissie hynde is a goddess

and 2 of my favorite songwriters

Aimee+Mann+aimeemann01.jpg

aimee mann

and

Shawn-Colvin.jpg

shawn colvin

Joanna Newsom

1416196948_b98e690925.jpg

bp01.jpg

I was going to do Karin Dreijer Andersson but Feste beat me to it. :)

Last edited:
if you mention billie holliday, it's only fair to bring up ella and sarah vaughan!

And Ma Rainey and Bessie Smith..........
I originally had the pic of Ma Rainey but it didn't load :( Oh well.

Martha Tilston

2567565590_722c5f3229.jpg

martha.jpg

v2_313x203_thumb_16676_martha_tilston.jpg

Beautiful hippy kinda folky gentle guitar music with violins and other instruments thrown in, such a beautiful voice!

Mia Zapata - singer (The Gits)
miazapata.jpg

This woman was a lyrical genius. Such a talented poet with so much to say, and an awesome way of screaming out her pain. The Gits were on the verge of crackin' the mainstream when she was tragically murdered. :(

Whirlwind (live)

When I woke up today
I was dizzy in my brain
It's not that I like to feel this way
The wagon's shaking and I feel it start to tilt
And I just go tumbling right back in a whirlwind again
Where I find myself at the end

Well I cannot seem to hold on to a fucking thought
This whirlwind's got me and I'm racing out the door
It's nice for a while, but when I try to focus
All of my convictions come crashing down around me again
I find myself all dried up, in the end

I stare out my window
I smell a sour message coming
And it hovers around this house
Like some sort of dooming cloud

I cannot seem to keep my thoughts within a line
This whirlwind brings it up, the dust within the storm
The razor pulls until I haven't got no more
And I just go tumbling right back in the whirlwind again

It's been a week now and I haven't seen the daylight
And all my friends are wondering, how I can put together
At my feet the wagon's in a million pieces
So I've got to find the stuff to build it all back up again

Well I cannot seem to keep my thoughts within a line
This whirlwind brings it up, the dust within the storm
The razor pulls until I haven't got no more
And I just go crumbling right back in the whirlwind again

When I woke up today I was dizzy in my brain
It's not that I like to feel this way
We rigged a pull up, and I haven't got no more
And all my convictions are crashing down around me again
I'll find myself once again in the end

wiki said:
DEATH: On the morning of July 7, 1993, around 2:00 a.m., Zapata left the Comet Tavern bar in the Capitol Hill area of Seattle. She dropped into a studio space in the basement of an apartment building a block away, then briefly visited a friend who lived on the second floor, which was the last time she was seen alive. She may have walked a few blocks west to get a cab, north to a friend's apartment, or may have decided to take the long walk south to her home.

She was raped and murdered in the Central District. It is believed she encountered her murderer shortly after 2:15 am. Since an employee at the bar remembered her wearing her headset as she left, it is believed she was listening to music from her walkman and thus was unaware of the approaching danger.

According to the cable television show Unsolved Mysteries, a man two blocks from the Comet Tavern heard a scream around 3 am. A woman found her body in the street at around 3:30 am near the intersection of 24th Avenue South and South Washington Street in the Central District neighborhood. Her body was in a Christ-like position (arms stretched out, perpendicular to her body) which gave rise to the belief that it was a cult killing. According to the medical examiner, if she had not been strangled she would have died from the internal injuries suffered from the beating.

LEGACY: In the aftermath of her murder, friends created a self-defense group called Home Alive, which disbanded in 2010. Home Alive has organized benefit concerts and CDs with the participation of many of Seattle's music elite, such as Nirvana (one of lead singer Kurt Cobain's final public appearances), Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Heart, and the Presidents of the United States of America. Joan Jett also recorded an album with the surviving members of The Gits called Evil Stig ("Gits Live" backwards). The Home Alive group's instructors offered a range of courses, from anger management and use of pepper spray to the martial arts.

In 2005, a documentary The Gits Movie was produced on her life, The Gits and the Seattle music scene. Its first showing occurred at the Seattle International Film Festival in May of that year. Another version of the film appeared two years later at the 2007 SXSW (South By Southwest) Film Festival, and the final cut of the film was released theatrically in over 20 North American cities on July 7, 2008, the 15th memorial anniversary of Zapata's death. The following day saw the film released on DVD along with a Best of the Gits CD (both from Liberation Entertainment).

Here's another clip about the documentary with words from Joan Jett. T'is sad. :(

kim deal - pixies

6a00d8341c694153ef0120a90eee72970b-500wi

shonna tucker - drive by truckers

dbt_1.jpg

grace potter - grace potter and the nocturnals

bonphoto7.jpg

her story is one of the saddest things ever :( taken too soon imho

Wasn't she murdered in Seattle? Or hit by a car after a show or something?
I'm gonna have to google now.........

Edit: I'm retarded. I just looked up higher in the thread and saw the story of her death.
Excuse me:)

Last edited:
Meg White

Tracy Chapman

Joan Baez

Plus all the others already mentioned

Attachments

• 12_meg_lg.jpg
    12_meg_lg.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 320
  • 51JVWno3DAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51JVWno3DAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg