• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Broke a needle tip of in my arm

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it's not 'their best judgment'. It's up to you whether you see another doctor if you don't agree, don't be a fool.

When I went to the ER like with in the hour the Dr. said it seemed to be "in a superficial location" that means not touching any veins or nerves or anything. He said he couldn't really do anything in the ER. But when I go to see another Dr. and they say its not a problem, then its just a mater if I can just live with it in a benine place on my arm. If they say Id have it taken out, then it will come out.

Also, yes this was not a fresh syringe it had been used several times. I have used rigs until the numbers ware off (I know, frowned upon) but I would have considered this a very new rig. I know theres no one to blame but myself but these syringes they give at the needle exchange suck. They say"we know brands like BD are much better but we can buy twice as much of these shitty ones" even though theres a donation cup there always overflowing with cash.

They weren't "broken off"... they were cut off with heavy duty wire cutters. They were varying lengths and gauges... mostly 22G1.5" and 25G1" and they were sterile except for the tip that was cut off. They were inserted as an act of self-injury which is not at all related to this forum. And yes, that is sick... it has had severe consequences and I would not recommend it to anyone. Just as substance abuse can increase in severity over time, so can self-injury... it's just that most people don't seem to realize that since they think most people who do it are just 14-year-old cutters. That's what I was once upon a time... many years ago.

I simply commented to try and dispel the myths around MRI machines and surgical stainless steel (which is what those needles are made of I believe) and what can be involved in having a needle embedded in your skin.

Glad the doc doesn't feel your problem is too serious... hopefully it will work its way out at some point as I know it is disconcerting to have a needles stuck in there.

The nice lady Dr. at the orthopidic clinic said that it would be doing much more damage trying to take it out. I was worried about it maybe going deeper, but she said that if any thing it would try and work its way out...who knows how long that will take.

The nice lady Dr. at the orthopidic clinic said that it would be doing much more damage trying to take it out. I was worried about it maybe going deeper, but she said that if any thing it would try and work its way out...who knows how long that will take.

At the least, I am glad someone could at least tell you while being nice, instead of being judgmental/etc, that it would do more damage trying to take it out.

Best of luck with everything; if it works itself out one day that would really be interesting. If not then I guess it's not supposed to get any worse.

So I did a google search about this because last Tuesday this happened to me while I was xanaxed out and shooting cocaine. Needless to say I immediately freaked out. My uncle and I tried to remove it with no luck so I went to the ER. the doctor tried to get it out but caused more marks on my arm then needed so I told her to stop and just leave it. She said it's in a weird spot around the muscle / vein but doesn't seem to be to worried about it. I am however worried as fuck about it. I can feel it in my arm and under my skin, I want to get a razor blade and cut it the fuck out but I'm too scared to do that. I'm considering going back to the ER this week and force them to removed it.

So I did a google search about this because last Tuesday this happened to me while I was xanaxed out and shooting cocaine. Needless to say I immediately freaked out. My uncle and I tried to remove it with no luck so I went to the ER. the doctor tried to get it out but caused more marks on my arm then needed so I told her to stop and just leave it. She said it's in a weird spot around the muscle / vein but doesn't seem to be to worried about it. I am however worried as fuck about it. I can feel it in my arm and under my skin, I want to get a razor blade and cut it the fuck out but I'm too scared to do that. I'm considering going back to the ER this week and force them to removed it.

I hope you are going to be OK, whether or not it gets removed.

If you don't mind me asking, were you re-using the needle that broke off inside of you?

What gauge/length was it?

DO NOT get a razor blade and try to cut it out yourself! If you are worried about it go back to the ER. It is not unheard of for doctors to leave foreign bodies that are lodged in your flesh in there, especially if they think it will require too much trauma in order to get it out, but personally I think I would want it out too. I'd be concerned about it getting infected, moving around, etc. I'd go back to the ER or a doctor/clinic if it were me. If you absolutely must remove it yourself I can give you some instructions on how to do so as safely as possible, but I'd highly recommend you see a professional. If you get a nurse/doctor that seems to not be doing a good job of removing it ask for a different one - it's your body. Good luck <3

It's possible they will work themselves out...I had a 30 short tip break off in my cephalic vein....I totally freaked, used a hot water bottle on it for a few hours(no clue if that helped), felt it sticking out a few hours later, and grabbed that fucker with a pair of tweezers. So it is possible for them to come out on their own...course that's not harm reduction, but just sayin'. Go to the doctor if it happens to you!

It's still under there. The injection site has healed up and there is sort of a bump over the area in which the needle is at. If I press on the area I can feel it.

i would definitely find a surgeon to take it out who knows what long term complications it could cause

It's not unusual for a doctor to leave it in there. This happened to someone I know as well. It's still in there to this day. But I don't think I'd want to leave it in if it were me. I don't think it should need a surgeon to remove it though, a regular doctor should be able to do it (of course some are not as good at it as others). But if it's just in a superficial area, it's unlikely to go far or cause too much damage, so if they can't get it out easily they will often just leave it where it is. The body might reject it on it's own, you could try applying hot wet cloths to the area to increase the chances of it coming out.

This post gave me shivers just thinking about it. I would get it removed, fast.

That is always my biggest fear what a buzz killer! I wouldn't be comfortable with a sharp piece of stainless steel surgical metal lodged in my body waiting to puncture through any part of my body, especially if you bump it etc. Please remove for your safety and peace of mind. Atleast if it was half poking out you could attach a butterfly to it and get some use out of it ;)

Go get medical attention. The needle could have all kind of germs.

There is nothing we can do over the Internet.

You have to go get it removed. It can become dislodged and travel elsewhere.

Go to the ER for help.

I'm closing this for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.