• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Ultimate Opiate Potentiation Thread v2.0

Alcohol induces the cyp2d6 enzyme that metabolizes codeine to morphine in the liver , I'm not sure what opiates your talking about but promethazine inhibits this enzyme so it makes it convert less , DXM also induces cyp2d6 so u should give that one a crack , same with alcohol (30-60mg DXM max , a drink or two half an hour before , and another half an hour after) anyone correct me if I'm wrong about any of this .

Can you describe how they potentiate the opiate? Meaning, how do the make the feeling feel any different? I'm crossing my fingers for "more euphoria".

-Edit, Sorry it's so long, Didn't realize how much I was rambling on, this is just my experience in the past, take it for what its worth, be safe, message me if you have any questions, Ill do my best to help/answer. -

I believe we already have a thread for this.

I used opiates for about 6 years. So, I've tried everything.
I realized overtime, that most of it is nonsense and really doesn't make much of a difference when thinking of euphoria.
When mixing opiates, I found that most of the things I felt were a 'synergy' with the opiates, and didn't help in terms of potentiation. (not a real word I don't think)

Diphenhydramine made me drowsy, easily irritable, foggy, and the dry mouth drove me crazy. Helped with the nod a tiny bit though

Promethazine made me foggy,tired. Helped with nausea a great deal, and slightly increased the nod.

As for grapefruit juice, well, it depends on what opiate you're doing. (maybe, from my experience anyways.)
Morphine ,codeine, hydrocodone, all seemed to have a tiny bit of a boost when drinking with grapefruit juice. (On Hydrocodone, I'd say when taking 60mg with drinking grapefruit juice, it would feel like 65mg, nothing to rave about)

Alcohol, Well, I don't drink, I hate the taste, love the effect, but the taste will literally make me puke before I even attempt to swallow, same with smell of some alcohols.

Benzodiazapines just increase the effects opiates have on the central nervous system.
Benzos leave me feeling a little blah, I usually love the euphoria of opiates, but when I take benzos, I would say I lose some of that euphoria, and end up in a nod.

Dramamine was the same as diphenhydramine for me, not a whole lot going on other that being drowsy.

DXM, I've had some pretty mixed results with. (I have to say I don't remember very clearly, as most of my time experimenting with DXM and opiates, I was at the worst point in my addiction, and don't remember things very clearly, as I was under the influence of benzos,dxm,weed,opiates,and ambien on a daily basis. Needless to say, between the Ambien,Benzos, and Weed, I don't remember much)

DXM does seem to do something with Opiates, though I've never been able to point out exactly what that is.
I would notice that when I took DXM with Opiates, things seemed to kick in a bit faster (I would dose dxm 45-90 minutes before I would take my opiates)
Seemed to make my body warmer than normal. It might have some effect, but Im doubting its anything worth doing every time you take opiates.

To be completely honest, I've found the most effecient way of increasing the effects opiates have on my by eating a meal or food loaded fats soon after taking your opiate. That has always worked well for me.

I'd try natural alternatives before taking other drugs, to increase one drugs effects.
If you can get a little boost out of drinking a tiny bit of grapefruit juice, taking opiates, eating a meal loaded with fat, more power to you.

But, I think , you will find, as most other people who have tried to increase the effect of opiates, you can't really make it stronger with 'potentiators' , sure, you might be able to get a feeling of 5-10mg+, but, it really doesn't seem to make enough of a difference to really be of any significance. Sorry I couldn't help more.

I never used dxm to potentiate opiates. but mxe. and that works. bulletproof. a small dose of mxe and you should need less of your opi.
Nmda antagonists taken with an opi also keeps opi tolerance at bay.
For this purpose there was even a dxm/morphine product on the way. if it wasnt a hoax.

Kalonji seeds (Nigella Sativa) broken down in a coffee grinder - boiling water poured over & steeped will add to the effects.
The oil works even better (much more expensive) Middle Eastern, Asian food stores are yer best bet, or can def' order online
but like everything, depending on how often you medicate, the potentiating effects will pass, unless you stick to 1 to 3 times every couple of weeks...

To the OP:

For the most part inducing/inhibiting liver enzymes in regards to opiates is never going to make them stronger. You can't end up with more of an initial drug. However, what it usually does it makes it last longer by preventing it from being metabolized.

I always found cimitidine worked great for inhibiting CYp3a4 which helps for clonazepam, suboxone, and methadone :) Great stuff. Not sure if cyp3a4 has a role in the opiates the op is taking? Anyone/

I have a question, I currently take 75 mg down from 90 and have for a year and a half. I have a surplus of unused methadone in my fridge, I am wondering if on days I feel like I need to get a buzz if I up my dosage by say 15 mgs, if I will get buzz from it.

Is it safe/worthwhile to take Amitriptyline and or Promethazine/Diphenhydramine before taking Codeine or Dihydrocodeine?

I read many mixed reports.... Especially regarding Diphenhydramine having a negative effects with regards to potentiation of Codeine based Opoids (Codeine/Dihodrocodeine)

Although i read that they work as great potentiators when it comes to Oxycodone etc..

Also this Tagamet/Cimetidine, i have never seen nor have i ever asked for in a pharmacy in the UK although im sure its available OTC im just unsure of the answers to the questions that the pharmacist will ask me? I guess they are for heartburn?

Also is it safe/a good idea to take a low dose of Amitriptyline (20-30mg) with any of these Opoids as a potentiator?

Thanks BL crew ;)

Tricks/Techniques for the Oral Administration of Opiates/Opioids

I wanted to make this thread to share my own strategies and techniques for increasing the effects of opiates for those who take them orally. Most of this pertains to oxycodone, as I have more experience with it than other opiates.

I'd like any feedback from people letting me know whether they agree or disagree that these strategies/techniques areeffective.

1. Take your dose on a relatively empty stomach - after your pills dissolve in your stomach, you don't want the opiate to get soaked up by food, otherwise it will take much longer for the opiate to enter your blood stream. Taking it on an empty stomach also helps the opiate bypass your liver; the bulk of your dose will head from your stomach to your liver all at once, and your liver won't be able to metabolize as much of it during first pass metabolism. If your opiate gets absorbed by food in your stomach, the rate at which it heads to the liver will be much slower, and the liver will metabolize more of it overall during first pass metabolism. Also, drugs absorbed in the small intestine have to spend much more time passing through the liver than drugs absorbed in the stomach, so you want as much of it absorbed while its in the stomach as possible. If the drug ends up getting absorbed by food or diluted among the other contents of your stomach, a lot of your dose could end up traveling with food into the small intestine.

2. Eat a small amount of fatty foods with your dose - Opiates are fat soluble, and foods that are very high in fat (like butter for instance) will help the opiate get absorbed by the blood vessels in your stomach. But, be careful not to eat too much food, as you don't want the food to end up absorbing the opiate as mentioned in Tip #1. I'd recommend something like a chunk of butter on 1/4 of a piece of toast, or a glass of 2% milk. But, make sure the food you're eating is warm, and not cold - the reason for which I'll talk more about later.

The food will also help you by starting up your metabolism just a little bit, and by getting your digestive system moving - this will help absorption. But you don't want your metabolism to fire up too much, or else the opiate will leave your system sooner as well; so the trick is to aim for just the right amount of food, and not too much.

This technique will help especially if the opiate/opioid has to be metabolized into something else before it is centrally active. Opiates this applies to include codeine, tramadol, hydrocodone, and to an extent, oxycodone. With these kinds of opiates, you want the liver to metabolize them into their centrally active metabolites -- so more food is recommended for potentiating these kinds of opiates. However, you can still end up eating too much food, which will have the negative result mentioned in Tip #1.

3. Swallow your pills with warm water - the heat will increase bloodflow to the stomach, and help the opiate enter your system sooner. Cold water will slow down blood flow in the stomach, resulting in the opiate taking longer to enter the system.

______

Following these tips, oral adminstration can be just as effective if not more effective than other methods of administration. Under the right circumstances, oxycodone in particular can actually kick in sooner if taken orally instead as opposed to being insufflated. Oxycodone's oral bioavailability is also much higher than its insufflated bioavailability. So taking oxycodone orally can be superior to snorting in every way: it lasts longer, the effects are stronger since more of it enters your system, and it kicks in just as fast if not faster.

Last edited:
There is already a pretty long thread on this and it is covered very well. I will have a dig about.

DXM is something that you should Really consider if using opiates, both for tolerance and dose reasons :)

This technique will help especially if the opiate/opioid has to be metabolized into something else before it is centrally active. Opiates this applies to include codeine, tramadol, hydromorphone, and to an extent, oxycodone. With these kinds of opiates, you want the liver to metabolize them into their centrally active metabolites

Hydromorphone is quite active as it is. Cytochrome metabolism results in glucuronidation at the 6-position, which would presumably render it inactive. I think you meant hydrocodone

Hydromorphone is quite active as it is. Cytochrome metabolism results in glucuronidation at the 6-position, which would presumably render it inactive. I think you meant hydrocodone

yeah I just caught that; I meant to put in hydrocodone, not hydromorphone, thanks for the clarification though.

What do you all think about using hot water to help increase blood flow to the stomach?

Opioids aren't absorbed in the stomach, they are absorbed in the small intestine.

This is also not advanced discussion

ADD -> od

Last edited:
hydrocodone, and to an extent, oxycodone. With these kinds of opiates, you want the liver to metabolize them into their centrally active metabolites -- so more food is recommended for potentiating these kinds of opiates. However, you can still end up eating too much food, which will have the negative result mentioned in Tip #1.

Yeah this is good, I notice that a small snack before hydrocodone really makes the high better, and definitely lasts longer.
Hydrocodone on a completely empty stomach makes for a really short high...
So a light snack before, and maybe something fatty right after taking it, like bacon. Then you're good =D