• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

METHADONE VS. SUBOXONE....Your experience w/each-Which one do u think is better?

Which maintenance med do you think is the best most effective one?

• Methadone

Votes: 42 45.7%
  • Suboxone/Subutex (buprenorphine)

Votes: 50 54.3%

• Total voters
^^Haha atl, no i aint. I AM 9 mos pregnant tho and stuck on the couch all day, I was on bed rest for like 2 months up until like a wk ago. And now i am too prego to do anything. So i am spendin alottt of time online lately, lol.

I have thought about bein a counselor tho, to be real I would love to. especially the people who aint been able to have success with the 12steps I feel like i could reach out to them instead of just tellin em "if you dont wanna do the steps you dont really want to get clean" 8) . Im thinkin that when my son gets a lil bit older that I might go to night school to learn to be a drug counselor or some shit.

wow, congratulations, so tell me about methadone and pregnancy. a girl came into my clinic today and she was pregnant and she was guest dosing, i assume methadone is ok while pregnant? and i think u would be a great counselor btw

^ agree with a lot u say about 12 steps and methadone lacey, there are so many falsehoods about both options imo. as you probably know many people would have certain problems/opinions about mdone use and pregnancy, when in fact its quite safe when given by a doctor, especially compared to drinking too much alcohol when pregnant. good luck to you and hope things go well.

Last edited:
Subs, my buddy said methadone withdrawl was worse than his IV morphine habitual withdrawl.

I used subs for my OC habit and it worked pretty beautifully.

I was on 70mg of methadone for about 5 months then lost my ride to the clinic and in 3 days I was in the worst dope sickness that I had ever been in my entire life. I ended up going to an inpatient detox that used a methadone taper so that I could get off of the shit.

As for the Subs, I've never taken them for prolonged periods of time. Of the few times that I did take them, I only took 2mg at a time for a couple days just to feel well enough to get through my day.

Surprisingly, my vote is for the 'Done, because if you taper off of it like you are supposed to then it's quite easy to get off of, and I've seen more people get clean with 'Done than I have with Subs. Most people I know, including me a few times, just use Subs to get by when they run out of money to score H. Don't get me wrong though, I know Subs work, I just have limited experience with them.

I think that methadone is a better option if you want to get out of the "game", but continue to get your fix. It is great because it gets a lot of people off of the needle which is a huge step. Also, you can get high on other drugs while on methadone, so if you really crave you can just use. I hate the whole clinic and getting it daily idea, but some people like it so if that works cool.

Suboxone/Subutex are better (IMO) for someone who is trying to completely get opiates out of their system, AND want to get out of the lifestyle. I have seen so much success with this system, and people just dropping out of the scene, tapering from subs and living a clean life. A lot of people I know who are on MMT are still around sketch shit a lot.

All in all, I would say Suboxone is the "better" choice. It does a better job at stopping withdrawals, and keeping people out of the lifestyle/addiction.

Good topic idea by the way, me and a friend were just having this discussion the other night.

Massive '+1' to all of that.

Good beginning Sick ending

On Subs

I liked them when I first met them (I have never had heroin habit in my life so
Subs got me very high) Most likley because alcohol is my DOC (Drug of Choice)
About six months into doing a pill here and there (2-3X a month) I became sick to my stomach about it. The physical feelings took a complete 180.
My mind had a content feeling of euphoria, everythings okay, motivated, productive etc. every binge on subs though. For me, subs does not work. I felt like I was getting addicted. I stopped the drug with no remorse or pity. The physical feeling I would get before I even did it deturred me. I would puke at the color orange, the smell as well as the thought of how I administered it to myself. I did subs IV. I have seen people who do the suboxone maintenance program and look deathly ill trying to kick their maintenance plan. Besides its just substituting one drug for another and would most likley make an addict end up right back where they came from. At least for me. I clearly, as well as certain percentage of people have an adverse affect to subs.

On Methadone:

I have only done this a few times and mixed it with alcohol so I can not give a clear anwser. I just know long term the stuff is no good. Gets into bones, teeth, etc. Hope someone got sumpin' out of my experience​
. <3

Last edited:
Adams eve thanks for the well considered response but this thread is about how each of these drugs works for ADDICTION TREATMENT.

If you never had an opiate addiction, you really cant answer the question. Aint tryna make u feel left out, but this thread aint got nothing to do with how high you get on either one of those drugs. You only got experience using them recreationally, is how it sounds from your post at least. If thats the case, i think u missed the point of the thread. Like i said i see you are just tryna answer the best you can and i can see that u put a little thought into it but unfortunately you are answerin a question that can only be answered by somebody who has used those drugs for addiction treatment. It aint about which one is a better high or gets you higher.

Also, just for the record methadone DOES NOT damage your teeth. that is a old junkie urban legend. The reason that some people who are long term methadone users can end up with teeth problems is becuz in some people methadone decreases the saliva in your mouth. which makes it easier for bacteria to grow. BUT--IF YOU TAKE CARE OF YOUR TEETH and brush floss and rinse on the regular you aint gonna have no problems with that.

The teeth issues of the methadone feens are becuz of not so great dental hygeine, not the methadones fault. Just settin the record straight since i see alot of cats talkin about how methadone rots ur teeth, etc, and it just aint true at all.

^^^yes I've heard people say the same thing about suboxone, but it also wasn't true, for the same reason (it makes your mouth dry)

^Morphine taper if the withdrawal is severe enough, it's not damaging, although i think can be slightly lower birth weight but no actual harm to the baby.

Also i just realised that due to people not understanding the actual question Lacey K that poll is completely inaccurate now.

although the poll is in regards to maintenance, i do think which drug has the most euphoria recreationally, has a big impact on which one a person would choose for maintenance.
I know i went on methadone because it has a reputation as the more euphoric drug.

i used to abuse methadone to get high. i was taking so much that my hands would become tingly numb, almost like when your hands are asleep. i never really felt high on suboxone. maybe the first time i took it, at the doctors office when i was first put on it. i went in when i was going through full on withdrawal. it made me feel alooot better thats for sure. i always felt like suboxone did not get me high, but made me feel normal, able to function in everyday life, made me feel okay. my friends who are also on sub have said the exact same thing.

I find that Suboxone is much more effective at taking away my cravings and giving me the little extra boost I need. It helps a lot with the depression (I always have it, but it's a LOT worse coming off dope, obviously).

Methadone is just kinda.."OK, I'm not sick anymore, but damn would I love to get high."

I will reply without reading posts first for a reason. To make it clear, I've never made it for a program (there were also good excuses like "you don't have papers you went through enough detoxes", "you buy methadone and there's no place for people like you on the program", "the program is full" etc.).

But I guess there is no difference when you dose yourself a drug at a steady dose that doesn't make you high but just makes you feel alright. Drugs I used for maintenance were methadone, buprenorphine, 17,18-didehydrobuprenorphine (treat those as one), and semorphone. I won't count the period of my methadone usage when I got back to shooting up after a few months or even sometimes less than one month.

Buprenorphine (and 17,18-didehydrobuprenorphine)

But I haven't shot anything since October 2009, not counting a few times with 3-methylfentanyl (but later on that, it was connected with bupe not working good enough). Then I finally stopped using morphine and levorphanol for good and started buprenorphine. Well, I thought it'd be easier knowing what doses are given at programs. So I started with 8mg but it wasn't enough, I worked my way up by 2mg until I got steady at 16mg (sure I was higher but I decided 16mg was enough, I had to be on the lowest possible dose for financial purposes as well). To be honest I thought I'd zero myself on buprenorphine and never come back to opioids. I grew up to that decision long time before but I simply couldn't do it earlier. I eventually started to taper down after being on 16mg for a month maybe. I got to 12mg somehow, it wasn't that good anymore but I thought I'd get used to it, I didn't taper down for the first time, right? So I know how it is, you always have to give something from yourself, the drug won't do the whole job. But at 8mg it was a nightmare. I was sweaty all the time, I felt how it stopped working as an analgesic. And to tell the truth I felt at 16mg and higher that buprenorphine is hell of an analgesic and methadone can't be compared with it; I simply had lowered pain threshold although I'd been addicted to opioids for almost 6 years then - it was weird but I couldn't hold on to bupe at 16mg all the time. Why?

Digression
In Poland there's only methadone in syrup and buprenorphine w/ naloxone in Suboxone pills on maintenance programs. I didn't get Suboxone. I used pure buprenorphine so it was clear I would run out of it in the end... Methadone on the other hand can be purchased at quantities I want. My source simply gets it in brown Molteni bottles and I get it clear.
End of digression

At some point I decided to try 17,18-didehydrobuprenorphine (well, this one has a double bond so it's "endoetheno" instead of "endoethano", and just for pure scientific information, when oripavine derivatives are obtained, "endoetheno" comes first, then it's converted to "endoethano" - it's no synth clue). 17,18-didehydrobuprenorphine is on average twice as potent as buprenorphine with really no differences in affinities for concrete receptors etc. Anyway this could let me use half the dose I had to use when I used buprenorphine. It made no difference after all. I ran out of 17,18-didehydrobuprenorphine so I had to go back on buprenorphine. I started to go crazy at 8mg. Getting the dose up again wasn't satisfying either. I guess I started to try to abuse buprenorphine. It reminded me at higher doses of my very early experiences with oral codeine when I was just slightly touched by this opioid bliss but it was great for me then. Buprenorphine has an antidepressant effect for sure (this made me positive for possible tests with kappa antagonists and/or delta (partial) agonists). Yes, this woke up that researcher thing in me. I kept using buprenorphine for its antidepressant effect until I ran out of it (almost, actually I still got a little of it). I really functioned differently. It never made me high like morphine/heroin/hydromorphone/oxymorphone/levorphanol/<your opioid> would but it always brightened my mood.

Its main advantage over methadone is that it works way longer than 24 hours. At first I took it every 24 hours but then I could do without it for 36 hours easily and I didn't feel any symptoms of withdrawal when I was on 16mg. I guess that's really important for a drug to work more than 24 hrs because you don't wake up all sweaty in the morning before the Sun to take your dose because otherwise you can't bear it. Sadly at lower doses bupe stopped to work like it should. I had a few days when I used ~35-40ug of 3-methylfentanyl to break through buprenorphine and feel real rush. But it didn't make me go back to real heavy addiction. It was like on week and I stopped, it wasn't comfortable to make a few shots a day as 3-MF doesn't hold you long just like fentanyl (it's just much more potent, like 40 times I'd say).

Methadone

When I saw I was running out of buprenorphine I decided I don't need to spend any more money on buprenorphine if I know, it doesn't work like it should and I know that methadone helps me just alright. I had to split the dose at the beginning because otherwise I would get withdrawal symptoms at night (it didn't hold me 24hrs), it was like I took a dose at 0800 hours and at 0200 hours the following night I felt I was withdrawing (stool, sweating, goose bumps, ache etc.; just like methadone withdrawal kicks in, slowly - it's worse than morphine or heroin in this respect for me, after a week you know you just started when it's methadone, when it's morphine/heroin after a week you know it's now a matter of your mind whether you can bear it or not because it's almost over and there are only remains in your head).

Anyway, I could take one dose when I took a higher dose. 80mg was good enough to hold me for 1 day. But I started to have financial problems and couldn't take that much. If I had only known, I would have started tapering down earlier... I visited that doctor who once wanted me on program but it's a matter of at least 2 weeks before they get you on a program here, earlier you have to be on a detox (no, they don't detox you there but we don't have separate hospital wards for detox and for dripping patients who are to go on programs - everyone land on one, I know that's probably misleading for people from North America and not only). I went crazy after 3 days, this idiot cut my clonazepam dose by 1/3 right off (without rising my methadone dose) and I felt it. I left hospital and I could forget about program. I knew I did a stupid thing but it was really hard for me there to stay with a lot of junkies who only waited for you to leave your room to go and steal anything worth 1 cent.

Anyway, this visit was a disaster. He told me he wouldn't take me on program because I buy methadone (yeah, so which is better? shooting up morphine and levorphanol that I did earlier or maybe drinking bought syrup? you tell me, maybe I'm stupid).

I stabilized myself on methadone. I tapered down, it's hard with money but my mum helps me. I don't know what I would do without her. She helped me so much with my addiction that no therapist matched her support.

Major advantage of methadone over bupe is it simply has no ceiling effect. Even when I pushed it more with bupe, more than 24mg, I didn't feel any better anymore. With methadone I worked my dose a little up because 15 - 15 wasn't enough. But here goes this disadvantage - methadone doesn't hold everyone for 24hrs but I'm in the minority so it doesn't apply to most people. The other thing is methadone is more sedative than bupe and it slows you down at some dose, that's visible to others that are acknowledged how a junkie may behave. Bupe is on the other hand a little "speedy". I don't know how to call it better, it's its antidepressant effect I found out. Yet I don't know if this is bupe's antagonist action at kappa or maybe bupe's action on some other postulated opioid receptors that genes of hasn't been located yet, so they might be just subtypes of existing and known opioid receptors. I wonder every day.

Recently, I've been struggling with some problems and I started to take more methadone and clonazepam. Well, I won't lie to myself, I started abusing both drugs. Lately I've used twice the prescribed dose of clonazepam. I wrote I made my methadone dose a little higher - that means I started taking 20mg instead of 15mg (i.e. 20-20). 20 is alright in the evening but in the morning I started to take even 50mg sometimes. I've got ~800mg in my stash and I get 600-800mg each month so even if I get addicted to higher doses I know I have enough of it to taper down to my old dose. But when will it be? It's just this loneliness that's killing me. I feel this anxiety all the time without any cause, I hate it when I think my heart sky-rockets and then I check my pulse and it's 60BPM... So it's palpitation.

Anyway, to recap I chose methadone. Why? Because I can really maintain on it and I found out I can't do that anymore on buprenorphine. For people who are in phase that allows them to choose between both drugs, they should go for buprenorphine. I would do that myself if I could.

I've given both a chance, and I definitely prefer methadone.

Subs took away most of my withdrawal symptoms, but the worsening anxiety, depression, etc made bupe useless for maintenance - for me, anyway - I was antisocial and couldn't function at school/work. After being on 'em for months, they still didn't do anything for my cravings at any dose, and I was fucking miserable... I really wish bupe had worked for me cause going to the clinic is such a hassle, but it was pointless to be dependent on something that didn't do shit to improve my life.

Methadone, otoh, helps my cravings and anxiety, and I'm finally getting my shit together. My emotions are much more stable, and my fam and friends def prefer dealing with me on 'done than subs, heh. :eek: It does suck going to the clinic 6 days outta the week (no take homes for stoners :|), but it's worth it imo - I haven't shot dope since I started MMT, and my life is way better than it would be on dope or subs.

I've got to say that I use SUB as the no dope insurrance we've been hearing of. I have been on a meth program and as w/ any opiate there comes Mr. tolerace into the picture. I was at a minimal dose which eventually needed to be increased. Because I'm on disabillity for severe arthritis I usually get 15mg oxcodone which of course I run through so the only stop gap for me was Suboxone,and as doing the job of not getting sick it works well.A short story here, my original pain dr. also has a licsense to give out Suboxone, this guys' got you coming and going, what a racket. Get addicted then come to your rescue w/ the SUB
IF that isn't a paradox I don't know what is. If the clinic scene was taken out of the equation
then Methadone would be the choice for me.......Infraredal.

my entire love affair with opiate type substances started when i found out a good friend was an ex-heroin user.he and his wife were on methadone, the orange wafers u dissolve in water.he let me try that and holy shit, energy for days, doin at work with him just bustin ass all day.that went away, then my gpa wanted me to sell his oc for him, which i quickly picked up a hefty habit on.then THAT ended.so then i found heroin and nothing has been the same since.i don't/won't shoot and it has still all but ruined my life.so then i found suboxone/subutex.i would have to say, if you really want to quit, sub all the way, cuz you really don't get high, just feel well enough to get out of bed and function as a normal person(for the most part anyways) but with methadone, you can get really fucked up off of it.so i would think someone who is trying to just get by til they can hookup would want methadone, whereas i have decided to stick with the subs and taper myself off.i don't get either one from a dr so it is in limited supply for either.both will cost about the same so i think it is kinda like an issue of whether or not you are trying to live clean(er) or just get by.

I vote for: sub!

If you want to quit, i.e. stop using opioids at all (including methadone or buprenorphine), methadone is better due to high bioavailability orally. Buprenorphine cannot be successfully used orally contrary to methadone. So with methadone one can measure the dose as he/she wants when it's a solution like syrups. Why do detoxes use methadone for tapering down to 0 opioid addicts? But I'm of opinion that at some point you can't really quit totally and maintenance is the only way...

Then if you can, buprenorphine is a better drug. Like I wrote, I found it works sort of like an antidepressant and it's a plus as it's sure as hell you won't feel great after quitting your habit. I couldn't get high off it like on morphine/heroin etc. or methadone but after my body got used to it and I tapered down a bit, I could take a dose that would make me feel positive about things around, keen to work etc. Quite a refreshing speedy effect. It wasn't that strong but it reminded me much of times when I used codeine and it was slowly kicking, I had eyes filled with tears of kind of bliss and as I took it sublingually and via my gums, I felt a quite pleasurable feeling on my gums. So, is it a high or not? In my opinion it is. It faded quite fast and I could feel it only at very high doses when I worked my tolerance down. The big plus is you can't feel any other opioids but you can still take drugs like MDMA or ketamine, not to mention addictive amphetamines and cocaine. Also, you can use 1st generation antihistamines to make sedative effect more pronounced, it's impossible for an addict to nod out on bupe, I guess. I never felt drowsy after buprenorphine and it's a big advantage. Methadone is a really drowsy and noddy opioid when taken in higher amounts.

my entire love affair with opiate type substances started when i found out a good friend was an ex-heroin user.he and his wife were on methadone, the orange wafers u dissolve in water.he let me try that and holy shit, energy for days, doin at work with him just bustin ass all day.that went away, then my gpa wanted me to sell his oc for him, which i quickly picked up a hefty habit on.then THAT ended.so then i found heroin and nothing has been the same since.i don't/won't shoot and it has still all but ruined my life.so then i found suboxone/subutex.i would have to say, if you really want to quit, sub all the way, cuz you really don't get high, just feel well enough to get out of bed and function as a normal person(for the most part anyways) but with methadone, you can get really fucked up off of it.so i would think someone who is trying to just get by til they can hookup would want methadone, whereas i have decided to stick with the subs and taper myself off.i don't get either one from a dr so it is in limited supply for either.both will cost about the same so i think it is kinda like an issue of whether or not you are trying to live clean(er) or just get by.

I vote for: sub!

Bah you got no clue what you're talking about. People on methadone maintence arent getting high. I could literally double my dose and it wouldn't produce any euphoria. So get your facts straight man. Same thing with the post after this one too. You people commenting about methadone maintence and basing your opinion on the few times you recreationally used methadone. You got no room to even comment on methadone.

Methadone isnt a noddy intoxicating feeling at all. When you're dosing a consistant dose daily, you cant get high from it. It dosnt sedate you more than buprenorphine. So it's really fucking stupid to be saying "my opinion is that subs are better because you can get really fucked up off methadone". This is total bullshit, someone on mmt cant get "fucked up", even if they were to go without for a day, save their dose, then dose twice as much the next day...

So really you cant comment unless you've tried both drugs, because you people claiming bupe is better, are mostly basing it on shit thats not even true, because they havn't even ever used methadone for maintainence. Claiming bupe is good because it gives you some energy to get through your day, but dosn't intoxicate you blah blah, yeah no shit methadone does the exact same thing.

I dont know, there is just way too much misinformation and myths surrounding methadone. People seem to think being on methadone maintaince means nodding your ass off 24/7, while sub maintainence means just being well enough to function...Just a load of bullshit... haha Lacey K you should have made the thread "Methadone Vs. Suboxone.... Only post if you have used both drugs for maintence", slow down on these people claiming bullshit about a drug they know nothing about.

Last edited:
^ agreed this getting fucked on methadone maintanance is an urban myth, middle class bogeyman, scare story. liquid heroin and the like nonsense. buprenorphine is one of the biggest abused drugs in the britsh prison system. with 8mg pills worth up to £40 each. so allmost ANY opiate without a tolerance, from codeine to df118's to heroin can give you a high WITHOUT tolerance. use any every day and the euphoria will disappear untill your tolerance drops once again