• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

METHADONE VS. SUBOXONE....Your experience w/each-Which one do u think is better?

Which maintenance med do you think is the best most effective one?

• Methadone

Votes: 42 45.7%
  • Suboxone/Subutex (buprenorphine)

Votes: 50 54.3%

• Total voters
Im on methadone now and i have tried suboxin to.. i feel that for real releaf of cravings methadone is by far better... when im on suboxin theres this crazy emptyness that is vary hard to explain but it makes me want to use again but you cant cuz it wont work anyway.. its vary misrable.

^Can directly relate to you my friend.

Was the exact same for me, bupe may have made my pupils small and gave some pain relief but apart from that it did nothing what so ever.

32mg held me physically obviously, but i felt that same emptyness. There is something about full agonist opioids that bupe just dosn't have.. Like i know what you mean, it felt weird telling my caseworker bupe isn't working for me, but it's holding me physically but not mentally but it's hard to explain... lol sounds very suspect you know, so i felt like a dick saying it but it was true.

After couple months on that i switched over to the full agonist and bam, as soon as i got to 60mg i knew this was the drug of choice for me. That perfect feeling, it's not intoxication, it's a slight mood lift, probably a learned reaction to having opiates in the system if you know what i mean.

Like just the effect of having a full agonist in my brain reminds it of good times or something i don't know. But yeah bupe felt like i was using some unrelated drug to treat opioid addiction, didn't even feel like an opioid to me. The pain relief on 32mg was very good though i will give it that.

Was the exact same for me, bupe may have made my pupils small and gave some pain relief but apart from that it did nothing what so ever.

32mg held me physically obviously, but i felt that same emptyness. There is something about full agonist opioids that bupe just dosn't have.. Like i know what you mean, it felt weird telling my caseworker bupe isn't working for me, but it's holding me physically but not mentally but it's hard to explain... lol sounds very suspect you know, so i felt like a dick saying it but it was true.

After couple months on that i switched over to the full agonist and bam, as soon as i got to 60mg i knew this was the drug of choice for me. That perfect feeling, it's not intoxication, it's a slight mood lift, probably a learned reaction to having opiates in the system if you know what i mean.

Like just the effect of having a full agonist in my brain reminds it of good times or something i don't know. But yeah bupe felt like i was using some unrelated drug to treat opioid addiction, didn't even feel like an opioid to me. The pain relief on 32mg was very good though i will give it that.

But see when you phrase it like that, basically you're asking "Which kills your urges more effectively?" right?

Well the whole reason you're getting all the replies ITT that you don't like is because your question, in the bigger picture, is asking which drug is better for addiction therapy, and that's why people are saying stuff like "Methadone for the high and Subs for staying clean".

If I'm wrong and your question DOESN'T actually pertain to which drug is more helpful through addiction, and rather just which drug has the better high, then yes, almost everybody here will reply Methadone.

I'm not meaning to flame you or anything Lacey, just trying to figure out what exactly you're asking.

Dude she has explained it so clearly i honestly dont see how you can interpret it any other way.

Which works better for you methadone or subs? The topic is about how they work and effect you while you're initiated in bmt or mmt.

It has nothing to do with which drug has the better high lol. I don't know how you get that from which drug is better for addiction therapy? We're talking about addiction therapy yeah, which works better for that, not which gets you more high or whatever. In the opening post she indicates she is talking about addiction management and not recreational use, try actually reading the opening post and not just the title and then come and throw in a reply..

Jeeze man its so fucking obvious, also lacey could you delete that double post i made cheers.

I do seem to have some pretty bad cravings sometimes. The bupe does help with it quite a bit, but i can definitely see how methadone being a full agonist would help supress cravings a bit better. The suboxone still works for me though. It's a hell of a lot better than nothing, that's for sure. I quit taking suboxone once, and that really made me realize just how much it had been helping with my cravings. It seems the longer that you take it, the less cravings you have. After about a year on bupe cravings really were minimal. I'd like to try methadone, but it's wayyyy to late at this point. I wish they would reevaluate methadone so that people could get take home scripts for it. The fact that they make people go to the clinic everyday is just ridiculous, and seems like it would be a barrier for a lot of people, myself included. Part of the reason why i chose to go with bupe is because it would be a pain for me to find a way to get to the damn clinic everyday. It pisses me off because if methadone could have potentially worked better for me, it doesn't matter because I wouldn't have that option.

I prefer methadone to suboxone. I find it better at reducing cravings. Both are good medicines, however, with long half-lives.

I do seem to have some pretty bad cravings sometimes. The bupe does help with it quite a bit, but i can definitely see how methadone being a full agonist would help supress cravings a bit better. The suboxone still works for me though. It's a hell of a lot better than nothing, that's for sure. I quit taking suboxone once, and that really made me realize just how much it had been helping with my cravings. It seems the longer that you take it, the less cravings you have. After about a year on bupe cravings really were minimal. I'd like to try methadone, but it's wayyyy to late at this point. I wish they would reevaluate methadone so that people could get take home scripts for it. The fact that they make people go to the clinic everyday is just ridiculous, and seems like it would be a barrier for a lot of people, myself included. Part of the reason why i chose to go with bupe is because it would be a pain for me to find a way to get to the damn clinic everyday. It pisses me off because if methadone could have potentially worked better for me, it doesn't matter because I wouldn't have that option.

Yeah i feel you man, and i definitely agree that once you go without bupe you would realise how much is actually is helping you, and fuck yeah i'd take bupe over nothing..

What you say at the end though, dude here in my country Australia its fucking nuts how the system works, over here man bupe is treated exactly like methadone pretty much the same to get on it, its dispensed daily pickup(with some takehomes exactly the same amount as the methadone people).

It sucks man, i got to be honest and say if we had it how you had it i might have never even got on methadone. Daily pick up is a drag.

But i'm actually thank full they just dont give me a months worth of methadone like lacey k gets you know because i know what i'm like and i would drive my tolerance up like a moron and leave myself sick the last week of each month it would be bad... Daily pick up keeps me inline, thats pretty sad isnt it...

Yeah i feel you man, and i definitely agree that once you go without bupe you would realise how much is actually is helping you, and fuck yeah i'd take bupe over nothing..

What you say at the end though, dude here in my country Australia its fucking nuts how the system works, over here man bupe is treated exactly like methadone pretty much the same to get on it, its dispensed daily pickup(with some takehomes exactly the same amount as the methadone people).

It sucks man, i got to be honest and say if we had it how you had it i might have never even got on methadone. Daily pick up is a drag.

But i'm actually thank full they just dont give me a months worth of methadone like lacey k gets you know because i know what i'm like and i would drive my tolerance up like a moron and leave myself sick the last week of each month it would be bad... Daily pick up keeps me inline, thats pretty sad isnt it...

Man I'm kinda surprised i always thought the Australian government was a bit more liberal than the U.S gov. That's some serious BS. Like being an opiate addict isn't already inconvenient enough, they make you go to a damn clinic everyday if you want to do any sort of maintenance therapy. I can see how that would keep you on track though. Having to go to a clinic everyday to get your meds would require you to take the prescribed dose everyday, and you wouldn't be able to abuse the drug ever. If i had a take home script of a full agonist opiate I'd probably end up abusing it too to be honest.

^ yeah the u.k. is more or less the same regarding bupe vs methadone take homes(least theres no suboxone nonsense over here) both daily pick up at nearest chemist. not as strict on observeed consumption with bupe though.
ive been on and off bupe for years and switched to methadone 9 mths ago, i also prefer MMT to subs as the "wizzing" feeling off subs just started wearing off and my cravings for other oppies were huge even though i knew they would have no effect i sometimes couldnt help myself.
Im finding methadone better for cravings by far ,( 80ml) and at a high enough dose methadone is equal to bupe in the heroin blocking potential. only the low dosed addicts, say under 50ml tend to carry on using heroin ime, the min. recommended doses by the doc who originally tested Methadone for addiction were 80-120ml. underdosing is why many fail MMT imo.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a medicine to really help you get off opiates Suboxone is the clear choice. Subs block ur opiate receptors, preventing you from getting high off opiates while on them. Methadone on the other hand, is more of a replacement. If you go to a clinic, you will be forced to abide by their hours, not being able to stray far from the clinic since they give out the medicine at the same time every day (sometimes you get to take it home for weekends but not always). Methadone doesnt block your opiate receptors, you can still get high on methadone if you wanted to. From what I have witnessed, the w/d from methadone is muchhh worse than suboxone or even most opiates for that matter. I know many ppl who overcame their addictions by using a taper off suboxone maintenance program (regulated by their doctor, dont think you can just get some subs off a friend and do it yourself cuz it probably wont work for the long run).

Euphoricbliss, have you been on methadone? Or are you just speakin from your opinion on shit you have heard? Im askin this becuz if you had been on methadone before I dont think youd be sayin that you can get high on it. You really cant. Unless you are on a dose lower than 50mg, which aint too common (and IMO, if a dose that low can hold you, you really dont need to be on methadone in the first place), you aint gettin high off shit. Methadone DOES block opiates when it is at doses of 50-60mg and up. It prevents you from feelin any worthwhile or pleasurable effects from dope or other drugs. believe me I tried quite a few times. When you are on that shit, you aint gettin high, it just aint happening. There aint no rush when you shoot some dope and if you sniff shit, forget about it. you might as well sniff baby powder for as high as youll get when you do that shit on methadone.

Also, even if you skip a day of your dose (which can be really hard to do when you are on a clinic anywys) its still mad hard to get high off other shit. Anytime that I was able to get high when I was a methadone patient, was when i had been off the done for AT LEAS 36 hours, and had to use a much higher amount than usual of dope. AND, still even after that, the rush wasnt the same as it is when you aint got the done in your system. And not only do you not get high off other opiates, but you dont get high off the methadone itself, neither. A new user who never took it before might feel somethin the first few days of bein on MMT but anybody who is on it as a daily thing, you dont get high off that shit, trust me. Even if you double your regular dose, all you get from that is you fall asleep. There really aint no high to methadone when you are on it daily. Recreational opiate users who aint addicts and who never been on methadone before, sure--if they took some, they would catch a great high. But for people who are on it daily there aint no high at all, even if you take a much higher dose than you supposed to. It just makes you normal. You can try to abuse it all you want but you will just end up taking a nap, not gettin high.

Anyways, now thats explained, I aint sayin that your opinion is wrong or nothing like that. You got your own reasons for preferrin suboxone. But im just pointin out that most of the reasons that you listed for not liking methadone, are reasons that actually aint true, and that if you had been on it, you would know that. I aint singling you out neither, theres a couple of people in here who base their opinions on ideas that are confused and not actually true about the drug. Im just tryna make sure that everybody knows the facts, becuz thats the only way u can really make a informed decision.

I think its hard to answer this thread if you aint tried both drugs. For people who been on methadone AND suboxone, its easy to compare them both. But if you aint, how can you really say? It seems like the majority of folks who been on one but not the other, are basin their opinion of the one they aint tried on hearsay, shit that they heard people talk about, and common knowledge type ideas. Which aint totally bad but its just that sometimes the shit people say, aint accurate. and when you base ur opinion of a drug on not your own experience but shit you have heard, im just sayin you might have decided different if you actually knew for yourself instead of relying on in accurate shit that you heard folks talk about.

And I just want people to know that if somebody was sayin shit about suboxone that wasnt true and they had got it twisted, and they said " methadone is better becuz suboxone is (something that aint true)" I would be defending suboxone too. becuz you cant make a informed opinion when you got the wrong information about something. But so far it just happens to be that most of the wrong ideas people got in this thread have been about methadone which is why it looks like i am constantly defending methadone but in reality I am just tryna make sure that everybody knows all the facts about both sides when they vote. :)

No shit suboxone wont work for you unless you ready to commit to be clean. If you are taking subs, then stopping so you can shoot dope and get high, rinse and repeat, no fuckin shit you aint gonna get shit from the suboxone after a while. If you're doing that then you don't have a valid reason for saying they didn't work for you, since you are not following the correct way to use them in the first place...

Last edited:
Exactly....and the same shit goes for methadone...I dont understand why people say that "sub is the best drug for gettin clean as long as you really want to..." How is it any different with methadone. If you really want to get clean one or the other is gonna work for you it just depends on your personally the size of your habit, etc.

When I really wanted to get clean subs couldnt cut it for me i just felt like such complete shit all the time, physically they couldnt hold me....Methadone was able to keep me stable and etc.

I aint sure of the logic behind the "if you really want to get clean" disclaimer becuz this thread is basically about if you really want to get clean, which one do you think is most effective...Nobody is askin about which one is better for people who want to fuck around and just not be sick in between binges....

^ yeah the u.k. is more or less the same regarding bupe vs methadone take homes(least theres no suboxone nonsense over here) both daily pick up at nearest chemist. not as strict on observeed consumption with bupe though.
ive been on and off bupe for years and switched to methadone 9 mths ago, i also prefer MMT to subs as the "wizzing" feeling off subs just started wearing off and my cravings for other oppies were huge even though i knew they would have no effect i sometimes couldnt help myself.
Im finding methadone better for cravings by far ,( 80ml) and at a high enough dose methadone is equal to bupe in the heroin blocking potential. only the low dosed addicts, say under 50ml tend to carry on using heroin ime, the min. recommended doses by the doc who originally tested Methadone for addiction were 80-120ml. underdosing is why many fail MMT imo.

Are you thinking 80-120 mg? Or is the methadone solution weaker over in UK. I use Biodone Forte, which is 5mg per mL. 120mls would be 600mg of methadone lol. Or maybe your guys have solution thats 1mg per mL of solution or something...

I think you're getting confused with ml and mg dude.

If you're looking for a medicine to really help you get off opiates Suboxone is the clear choice. Subs block ur opiate receptors, preventing you from getting high off opiates while on them. Methadone on the other hand, is more of a replacement. If you go to a clinic, you will be forced to abide by their hours, not being able to stray far from the clinic since they give out the medicine at the same time every day (sometimes you get to take it home for weekends but not always). Methadone doesnt block your opiate receptors, you can still get high on methadone if you wanted to. From what I have witnessed, the w/d from methadone is muchhh worse than suboxone or even most opiates for that matter. I know many ppl who overcame their addictions by using a taper off suboxone maintenance program (regulated by their doctor, dont think you can just get some subs off a friend and do it yourself cuz it probably wont work for the long run).

Man you havn't even used the medicines being dicussed so your opinions arent worth any merit. Buprenorphine aint the clear choice. Methadone will always have a place in treating opioid addiction due to the fact that buprenorphine has a ceiling dose(think codeine) being 24mg-32mg.

This means there are people whos tolerance buprenorphine cant even touch, rendering this drug useless in such a situation, pretty shitty trait for an addiction management drug that is the "clear choice" to have isnt it?

Also, you try to use buprenorphines blocking ability as a reason why it's a better choice because people can still get high on methadone, where as this is impossible with buprenorphine.

#1 Methadone dosn't get you high, and whatever mood lift it brings is nothing like heroin.

#2 Methadone at sufficient dose blocks out the effect from other opiates.

#3 What Lacey K Said.

Another thing buprenorphine is no easier to quit after longterm use than methadone.

^ over here the most common is 1ml/1mg solution, so if anyone asked me/or i anyone else what does their on id say 80ml. the only other stuff over here is the rarely given out amps which can be 5mg/1ml (i think)
rest of post is spot on, ive been on high does meth and 16mg bupe both are about equal in the blocking stakes imo(tbh had to have less time off bupe than the methadone to then get high/ish)
only people who miss doses/sell it or are on fairly low daily doses can worthwhile use on top.

just add even on MMT i do think you get a slight opiate feeling every time u dose, if this was not the case it wouldnt work so well for addiction imo.
the same can be said for subutex though, with its anti-d effects/ speedy feeling. i became a habitual snorter of bupe, for these reasons i switched to methadone

^yeah i had a feeling it was 1mg/1mg solution because the numbers add up perfectly then i and i doubted you would have mixed up mg with ml haha.

^ no worries man theres quite a few names and mixtures, pills etc of methadone knocking about in the world. never heard of higher than 1ml/1mg for oral addiction mixtures in u.k..
mthadone gets my vote then but if ur still looking for a regular, daily , buzz all bets are off with regards being sucessful anyway.

Anyways...now that I got that cleared up Ill tell about my opinion and why I voted for methadone.

Straight up, My experience with suboxone always sucked. i was on it for over a year and never had nothing but misery and failure.

Lightitup, IDK your experience with methadone, I think you really got some misconceptions about how it works. Iunno where you got the idea that if you cravin dope when you on the clinic, you can just use. It dont work that way at all. I mean, you CAN do it, but you aint gonna get high for shit. Any dose thats worth a fuck will block your dope. And all clinics are required to do random urine testing AT LEAST once a month, so you never know when you gonna go in the next day and get a piss test. You get a shitty not-even-high, no matter if you keep bootin double your dose you cant break thru and catch that rush and nod, the done just overpowers it completely, and then you never know when you gonna go in the next day and get handed a piss cup. you come up dirty, and your clinic can do all kinda shit. For example the dreaded "administrative detox" where they detox you as fast as legally possible for failing piss tests and not "complying", etc. You can get your dose reduced, lose your take homes, etc. It really aint some shit that you can just get high whenever you want if you feel like it, cuz for one you dont get high and second the consequences make it totally no worth it at all.

Thats why I feel the opposite of how you do. In my opinion, methadone does a way better job of stabilizing your life and keepin you off dope than sub. the done makes the dope worthless. You can take like, 30, 40 mg of done and still break thru kinda, but anything above that, at least in my experience and believe me i tried many many times, always just ends up as "blah". There aint no rush, you can barely feel the dope, it reallllly aint worth it. and if you only on 30 or 40mg of done and thats enough to hold you, you prolly didnt need to be on it anyways and woulda been ok with suboxone.

Now, about the shit u said about methadone is easier to keep using, you dont break free from that lifestyle, etc--I really disagree. Its just my opinion tho, neither one of us right or wrong but Im just swayin. This is my 2--

Suboxone is the ULTIMATE ENABLER...It makes it sooooo easy to stay in that junkie lifestyle and keep gettin high and never gettin nowhere. For me, suboxone is just treading water. So many people just use it to avoid bein sick when they gotta stop using. Its "withdrawal insurance". Sure if you using it and really trying to get clean thats different, but Ima get to that later-For me, it was impossible to get clean usin sub even when i really tried, becuz it sucked so bad and was such a piece of shit, ineffective garbage drug.

But, before i get into that, i just wanted to say that just like mad people on here, I used on sub all the fuckin time. Suboxone makes it sooooo fuckin easy to just jump on and off back and forth. IMO, Methadone is WAAAAAAY more likely to keep you on a long term dope free existence than sub. In a clinic you cant skip a dose or the will half your dose the next day, and if you skip a dose you get a immediate piss test the next day in most places too. So, if you want to get high you cant just not show up and skip your dose so you can use or u gonna end up with definate consequences. With sub you can just stop anytime you want, take 2mg at 9 in the morning and by 5 that afternoon you can be bootin dope without a care in the world. You can take sub all week long and then get high on the weekend and do that shit indefinitely. For me , sub made the lifestyle of staying on dope sooo easy, and it gave me no reason to quit. I could just do dope as long as i wanted then when i ran out of money or dope I could just take my sub and avoid bein sick til i could cop again. It just kept me in that cycle.

And when i finally did try to really get my shit together on sub....forget about it. Fuckin trash-ass bullshit piece of shit excuse for a treatment. I always, constantly felt like shit. regardless of my dose, from 16 to 20 to 32 mg, no matter wat I took (and my doc would put me up higher when i told him i was still hurtin) i never felt 100%. I always felt like i was still sick. sub made me feel like, 65% not sick and still 35% sick. I never got good relief from it. I could never sleep, and i had the worst fuckin depression on that shit. It wasnt just the "i aint on dope" depression, i actually felt better MENTALLY, when i wasnt on sub and was sick, than i did on it. obviously the physical WDs made me have to take the sub, but my mental state was better when i wasnt on it, shit was like it actually triggered depression in me, it was mad weird. Seriously, every hour i spent on Suboxone was like pure fucking torture. i absolutely despise that fuckin drug. It never did shit for me, it just wasted my time and money for a long time. Like i said--dont put it off on me not trying. Cuz yea, for a long time i just used it as a way to keep gettin high witout havin to kick. But once i did really honestly give sobriety a shot on that shit, it did NOT help me at all, not in the slightest. all i could ever think about was when i could get high again and how bad i wish i could be high, etc.

On methadone its like the COMPLETE opposite. Seriously this shit saved my fuckin life. From day 1 of being on it, its like i was a totally new person. I been on it over a year now and yo, word bond, i am so much of a different person that it aint even believable. its just absolutely insane how different I am now with the methadone.

Cravings for dope? Methadone straight DEADED that shit, oh my god, it straight up STOMPED the FUCK outta my dope cravings. Its like it goes in my brain and hits all those good pleasure spots that dope used to hit, without all the bullshit associated with dope, without a high, but just doin all the good shit that dope used to do as a self-medication, you know? its like magic, god damn I love the things it does for me.

Another issue for me is that I got in a car accident a few years ago and fucked up my back, and had a injury at one of my old jobs and on top of both of those I did manual labor for a few years. I got a LOT of back pain. Without any opiate meds, I literally cant walk straight without a limp cuz the pain shoots down my leg. I cant move certain ways, i get "stuck" in certain positions and the pain is so bad that i cant move myself and got to have somebody actually pick me up and move me. That pain was with me so bad when i was on Suboxone. it didnt do SHIT for pain. It was horrible. Im sure that was part of why i was so miserable on it too, becuz i was sufferin all the time and couldnt move around that great. The Methadone straight up annihilates pain. Well, not quite, im on 90mg and I can still feel intense pain THRU that 90mg alot of the time, but the point is that without it, Id be a fuckin cripple. methadone is a seriously wonderful painkiller, its better IMO than oxy, and even Opana. nothing comes close to it for long term, heavy duty pain relief. So for me personally thats one more thing that makes me love it, even tho the majority of people aint got that situation and is strickly lookin at it from a addiction treatment point of view.

it also helps that I dont go to a clinic for my done. I get a script from a doctor, for pain management. i HAVE been a patient of the clinic in the past , twice.

And i would say, that EVEN GOING TO A CLINIC, Methadone STILL wins for me, HANDS DOWN.

I rather go to the clinic every fuckin day of the week and get my dose than go to a Sub dr. once every 2 months for a refill. Real talk, it aint no question. Methadone is the best treatment that is available, IMO. For me, in my experience, suboxone aint nothing like the miracle drug that its suppose to be.

I honestly believe that for some people, sub just dont work. I have noticed that for people who have smaller dope habits, and who are hooked on painkillers instead of heroin, suboxone seems to work great. matter fact, for somebody who is addicted to Oxy or somethin like that, I would actually discourage them from going on Methadone--like i have heard ppl here before say, its like using a sledgehammer to kill an ant.

but all the people I known who was some serious dopeheads, who had a heavy duty habit, methadone has been the only option that helped them. i know it was that way for me. And my habit wasnt even that huge. But for people who only do like, a bundle a day, 15 bags a day, a half a g or a g a day, sub seems to hold them OK. Its the people who do half a brick, 30 bags, a brick a day, that need methadone. thats just my totally un scientific opinion based off the shit I seen in myself and my friends, but take it for wat you want to.

damn, are you on stims Lace? lol And have you ever thought about being a counselor Lacey?

^^Haha atl, no i aint. I AM 9 mos pregnant tho and stuck on the couch all day, I was on bed rest for like 2 months up until like a wk ago. And now i am too prego to do anything. So i am spendin alottt of time online lately, lol.

I have thought about bein a counselor tho, to be real I would love to. especially the people who aint been able to have success with the 12steps I feel like i could reach out to them instead of just tellin em "if you dont wanna do the steps you dont really want to get clean" 8) . Im thinkin that when my son gets a lil bit older that I might go to night school to learn to be a drug counselor or some shit.