• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

METHADONE VS. SUBOXONE....Your experience w/each-Which one do u think is better?

Which maintenance med do you think is the best most effective one?

• Methadone

Votes: 42 45.7%
  • Suboxone/Subutex (buprenorphine)

Votes: 50 54.3%

• Total voters
When you were going through sub withdrawals, did at any point you give in and take some?

The reason I ask is because I've just recently started bupe and I find that it helps curb cravings, but I don't really feel much of anything. And obviously, after having a pretty big habit of any kind of opiate/opioid, an addict is going to miss that 'rush/high' and I was wondering, if I stopped taking my sub:

1) About how long would it take until withdrawal sets in?

2) Once I'm withdrawing pretty badly, will I get that same feeling of huge relief just as I did when I was in withdrawal from norcos and I acquired some and took a big dose?

It sounds pretty stupid but I almost want to wait for withdrawal to set in before I take my next dose, so that I can FEEL something. The only time I've felt anything on these was when I came in to my doctor on day one.

I know Suboxone is specifically designed to make you feel 'normal' and not 'high' but I almost find myself thinking of switching to Methadone just to get that 'high'...I guess I'm still in the wrong mindset for Suboxone to properly work...

When starting suboxone or methadone maintenance you should have a desire to quit using opiates. If you are starting suboxone so you can get high legally you're going to be pretty upset when you start taking it, because it just isn't going to do that for you. I have never taken methadone so I don't know about that. When you quit taking your suboxone it varies how long it takes for withdrawal to start. If you have been taking it as prescribed it usually doesn't really start for 2 days or so. If you have been snorting it or shooting it it will be much sooner. When you are in withdrawal, and you take some suboxone, it should bring you a feeling of relief. That's kind of a dumb question lol

Bupe does do a very good job of curbing cravings. In fact, when taking bupe i have little to no cravings for opiates ever. But when you quit and are in withdrawals, they cravings increased considerably for me. I tried to quit suboxone recently. I didn't take any for 6 days but then gave up and got another prescription. It isn't easy to quit. but i don't mind taking it so much. I will probably give it another try in a few months.

my opinion:

i looove suboxone. been on it for over a year now. i personally hate methadone. i used to abuse it to get high. i know friends on it still, who have tried getting off it, but its so difficult to get off methadone that they always go back to it.

just my personal opinion. i love suboxone, i think its a miracle drug. dont know where id be without it. i hate methadone. my brother-in-law works at a clinic here. and he told me he has to give people suboxone to get off methadone.

I know exactly how addiction works...i've been on both suboxone and methodone....they work good for replacement therapy yet coming off of both your more then likely to come back to your orignal doc...the only way your going to have a chance in hell to stay clean is to work a program through NA....i didn't mean you just detox and your fine...for me, i had to come off methodone in jail, cold turkey, i was sick for a fucking month...so i don't support anything having to do with methodone, it works for very few in the long run...very few.

There is absolutely ZERO room for judgemental-ass bullshit like "Methadone works for very few people and the only chance in hell you have to stay clean is to do NA." We dont tolerate shit like that in here, you can take your "NA is the only way" motto and bring it to another forum becuz that dont fly here. Respect everybody and their ways of gettin clean or keep it to yourself.

If you want to say crap like that, dont even bother to post. Seriously, this thread aint the place for that type of closed minded, factually wrong nonsense. Its incredibly disrespectful to people to play that "If you dont do na you will never succeed" shit, and its also straight up misinformation to say that "very few people have success on methadone" becuz factually, that aint correct.

The facts dont lie. Statistically, scientifically, it been proven time and time again that methadone is the most successful form of treatment for long term heavy heroin users, and that its still the best most solid option for heavy addicts. And statistically, the success rate of NA and AA is far, far lower than the success rate for methadone. That aint opinion its fact, based on science, backed up by numbers and research. So please dont just pull shit out your ass becuz you got a personal problem with the drug due to ur bad experience kicking.

Please dont come up in here postin ignorant, biased, waaaay over judgemental shit about things becuz you had a terrible experience with them that has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DRUG ITSELF and EVERYTHING TO DO with you personally and the situation you were in.

If you got negative opinions about methadone thats fine. Aint nothin wrong with saying that something didnt work FOR YOU, becuz you got yourself locked up and had to kick CT in jail. But that aint got nothing to do with methadone bein effective or not. It just means that YOU got stuck in a shitty situation and got a complex about it and now you wanna talk about how methadone is bullshit and it aint no good.

All that is, is applying your bad experience that aint got a damn thing to do with the effectiveness of methadone itself, and puttin it on everybody else, and then making broad-ass generalizations that aint even true about the drug that are completely wrong. you had a bad time, you had to kick in jail. Thats like saying that suboxone is garbage, becuz you took it 1 hour after shooting 10 bags of dope and it put you into withdrawal, so now you talk shit all over about how bad suboxone is and how nobody can succeed with it. Which is just foolish to be sayin--your issues aint relevant at all to the effectiveness of the drug or how well it works as a treatment they are all becuz you didnt use the drug in the way it should be used. It wasnt your fault in this case since u got forced to kick. But it still wasnt the way the drug should be used. And the problem you got is with the WD, which aint got a damn thing to do with the actual usefulness or effectiveness of the drug as addiction therapy. The bad experience you had was due to OUTSIDE CIRCUMSTANCES that was NOT related to the drug, and you let that turn you off.

Fine for you, but dont be saying shit that aint true, turning off other people who could be helped by the drug becuz you got the wrong idea about it.

To talk the way you talkin absolutely dont belong in this thread and it aint helping nobody. That aint a constructive way to share your opinion. If you cant recognize that your bad experience was yours only and that it most definately dont mean that "methadone is not effective and very few people ever succeed with it" then I dont think you got the ability to look outside yourself enough to give a helpful answer in this thread.

my opinion:

i looove suboxone. been on it for over a year now. i personally hate methadone. i used to abuse it to get high. i know friends on it still, who have tried getting off it, but its so difficult to get off methadone that they always go back to it.

just my personal opinion. i love suboxone, i think its a miracle drug. dont know where id be without it. i hate methadone. my brother-in-law works at a clinic here. and he told me he has to give people suboxone to get off methadone.

Do you mean then they taper and quit the subs reletively trouble free or they just taper on done abit then switch to subs and stay there? lol.

^ not sure. id have to ask my brother in law. im sure he means get those methadone people on subs, then taper off of subs.

i think its pretty funny how people on here get so upset when others state their OPINION. my opinion is suboxone rules and it will stay that way. im not trying to change anyone else's opinion. if you like methadone better, cool. the thread says YOUR experience...which one *do you think* is better?

no one is gettin upset about that , as far as i can see. I aint seen nobody posting or gettin upset about others opinions.

The only issues for me at least, is when somebody dont compare the drugs accurately and says shit like "suboxone is better becuz you aint gotta go to a clinic everyday" when the thread is asking about the effectiveness of the drugs how well they work, how good are they at reducing/gettin rid of cravings, how successful you been while using it etc.

When people compare them and base their opinions on shit that aint about the drugs EFFECTS and is about where you get the drug, how much it costs, how often you gotta go to get it, etc, it kinda is missin the point.

When you make your decision OVERALL for the best drug of course you gonna consider the pros and cons of havin once a month office visits vs daily or several times a week visits to a methadone clinic....But for THIS THREAD the question is about the actual drugs effects. its ability to prevent PAWS, its ability to help get rid of cravings, how good it is at makin you feel stable and "normal" etc.

When people dont post about the effects and the actual drug itself and instead they make their decision based on shit like "i vote suboxone cuz i dont wanna drive to the clinic everyday" its like if somebody made a thread about pain management, and asked "Which drug is more effective at killing pain, fentanyl or vicodin?" and everybody says "vicodin, becuz its easier to get a script for vic's than it is to get a script for fentanyl!"

You feel me? It aint about how easy or hard it is to get methadone or sub. Its askin about the effectiveness of the drug and its qualities when it comes to helpin you fight your addiction.

Godlovesugly, by the way i aint saying that YOU are one of the people who been doin that. I aint noticed you talkin about suboxone bein better becuz i ts easier to get or nothin like that. i was just pointin out that alot of folks here they base their vote off shit that aint really relevant to the question. And that when me or other people reply to them and be like "yo your opinion dont make sense", it aint becuz we disagree or think that they aint got the right to dislike methadone. its just pointin out to them that the things they considered when they decided which one was better was the wrong things. i hope that makes it a lil easier for you to understand why me or other posters had been questioning some people.

When somebody says i voted suboxone becuz it works great to kill my cravings thats totally legit and a fair reason to vote for it. aint nothin wrong with that, and aint nobody takin issue with ppl who got that opinion. You free to feel however you want to and I dont see nobody givin you shit about it here.

First off, i was working the methodone matience program fine while i was on it, i caught a charge from the attorney generals office from something that happened 10 months before. Methodone is great, WHILE YOUR ON IT, is what i'm trying to say. Suboxone is great while your on it as well. Those statistics speak for people on the program who are on it at the time, not the rate for the people who taper off/stop taking it. If you want to actually STAY clean you have to change your life, you cant change your life that well if your just substituting one drug for another, sorry lacey. Ive done been around this shit for to many years, i know what i'm talking about and can state my opinion whether you like it or not...BTW its obvious your on methodone thats why your getting so upset about it...counselors at the methodone clinic i was at are even against it, what does that tell you?? This isn't only my personal experience with it, but ALOT of people you talk to's opinion...do what you want but suit yourself, i'm 100% sure as soon as you start tapering off of methodone ALL of you will wish you never went on the damn drug in the first place, so suit yourself.

When starting suboxone or methadone maintenance you should have a desire to quit using opiates. If you are starting suboxone so you can get high legally you're going to be pretty upset when you start taking it, because it just isn't going to do that for you. I have never taken methadone so I don't know about that. When you quit taking your suboxone it varies how long it takes for withdrawal to start. If you have been taking it as prescribed it usually doesn't really start for 2 days or so. If you have been snorting it or shooting it it will be much sooner. When you are in withdrawal, and you take some suboxone, it should bring you a feeling of relief. That's kind of a dumb question lol

Bupe does do a very good job of curbing cravings. In fact, when taking bupe i have little to no cravings for opiates ever. But when you quit and are in withdrawals, they cravings increased considerably for me. I tried to quit suboxone recently. I didn't take any for 6 days but then gave up and got another prescription. It isn't easy to quit. but i don't mind taking it so much. I will probably give it another try in a few months.

Yeah that's definitely true about it'll only work if I'm ready to quit.

As far as the 'relief after withdrawal' question I asked, I guess I didn't phrase that properly. I know it will eliminate all suboxone withdrawal symptoms once you take another while in withdrawal, what I meant by my question was that will it be a mental relief as well as physical? All Suboxone has ever done for me is physical relief during withdrawal (on my 1st day on Suboxone when I came into the clinic).

First off, i was working the methodone matience program fine while i was on it, i caught a charge from the attorney generals office from something that happened 10 months before. Methodone is great, WHILE YOUR ON IT, is what i'm trying to say. Suboxone is great while your on it as well. Those statistics speak for people on the program who are on it at the time, not the rate for the people who taper off/stop taking it. If you want to actually STAY clean you have to change your life, you cant change your life that well if your just substituting one drug for another, sorry lacey. Ive done been around this shit for to many years, i know what i'm talking about and can state my opinion whether you like it or not...BTW its obvious your on methodone thats why your getting so upset about it...counselors at the methodone clinic i was at are even against it, what does that tell you?? This isn't only my personal experience with it, but ALOT of people you talk to's opinion...do what you want but suit yourself, i'm 100% sure as soon as you start tapering off of methodone ALL of you will wish you never went on the damn drug in the first place, so suit yourself.

Nobody says you cant change your head or your life while you are on methadone or suboxone. Theres been more than one time during the time I been on methadone that I didnt have my dose for the day or for 2 or 3 days and did i go out and cop dope or get high? No. I waited it out as painful as it was. Becuz i aint the person i used to be and I changed everydamnthing about my life and who I am. To say that being on methadone (or sub) equals not changing is straight up bullshit.

Second, I aint in a methadone clinic.

Nobody is gettin upset about people not liking methadone. The issue is with people who come on here and got the balls to say shit like "Sorry, you just cant succeed unless you do it the way that I think is best". You dont know everybody on this site and you got no idea who we are or the things that do and dont work. everybody is different and there aint no one size fits all approach. the problem is with your attitude not your opinion that you personally dont like methadone.

to me subbys are nasty make feel ten times worth and it lasts for days...i vote meth any day

I know it will eliminate all suboxone withdrawal symptoms once you take another while in withdrawal, what I meant by my question was that will it be a mental relief as well as physical? All Suboxone has ever done for me is physical relief during withdrawal (on my 1st day on Suboxone when I came into the clinic).

suboxone has given me mental relief during withdrawal. it helps with the depression alot, perks me up a bit. gives me a boost both physically ofcourse, but also mentally/emotionally.

You need to do research, this isn't ONLY my personal opinion. Methodone was made for reducing street crime. I'm not saying its my way or your not going to suceed, i'm saying if you were smart, you would stay away from it. Everything that i stated was fact, it wasn't no mumbo jumbo i got off the internet like where you do your research (everything on the internet is true right?) I'd appreciate as a moderator if you respected the rules and weren't so mean and treated me with respect instead of flaming me cuz you know im right and your wrong...it's hard to admit when your wrong huh?? As butch on teen mom would say I GOT YOU STUCK.

You need to do research, this isn't ONLY my personal opinion. Methodone was made for reducing street crime. I'm not saying its my way or your not going to suceed, i'm saying if you were smart, you would stay away from it. Everything that i stated was fact, it wasn't no mumbo jumbo i got off the internet like where you do your research (everything on the internet is true right?) I'd appreciate as a moderator if you respected the rules and weren't so mean and treated me with respect instead of flaming me cuz you know im right and your wrong...it's hard to admit when your wrong huh?? As butch on teen mom would say I GOT YOU STUCK.

Dude what facts did you state? Basically all you said was that people who use opiate maintenance therapy aren't going to succeed. Well i got news for you buddy, people who use replacement therapy aren't any less likely to succeed than people who do a traditional detox (in fact, I'm pretty sure they are more likely not to relapse) There are a lot of benefits to using suboxone or methadone. Just because they didn't work for you doesn't mean they don't work for anybody. No one here gives a shit about stupid MTV shows like teen mom. What a retarded thing to quote. Good job making yourself sound extremely stupid, that'll leave a good impression.

I definitely prefer methadone but that's just my opinion.I mainlined Dilaudids for 6,7 years and ended up in detox around 15-20 times(mostly just when I ran out or couldn't get any opiate for some reason).I have been on methadone(100mg a day) for over a year and a half and have not used any other opiate since I started,except for the dillies my methadone doctor prescribed for the first 2,3 days when I started,until it(methadone) got fully into my system.I am also on a very high dose of a benzo,it's called clobazam and it's for epilepsy.It's only used for epilepsy and the only difference is that tolerance doesn't develop as quickly.I am also on 800mg of seroquel for severe bipolar with psychotic episodes and 2 other mood sablizers and 120my of ritalin for real ADHD,which also calms me down,honestly.So even with all the other meds I prefer methadone,I go to my local pharmacy 2 times a week and see my doctor once a month.

I definitely prefer methadone but that's just my opinion.I mainlined Dilaudids for 6,7 years and ended up in detox around 15-20 times(mostly just when I ran out or couldn't get any opiate for some reason).I have been on methadone(100mg a day) for over a year and a half and have not used any other opiate since I started,except for the dillies my methadone doctor prescribed for the first 2,3 days when I started,until it(methadone) got fully into my system.I am also on a very high dose of a benzo,it's called clobazam and it's for epilepsy.It's only used for epilepsy and the only difference is that tolerance doesn't develop as quickly.I am also on 800mg of seroquel for severe bipolar with psychotic episodes and 2 other mood sablizers and 120my of ritalin for real ADHD,which also calms me down,honestly.So even with all the other meds I prefer methadone,I go to my local pharmacy 2 times a week and see my doctor once a month.

Do you feel that you absolutely need everything you're prescribed? Sounds a bit like you're being overmedicated...

LOL, I dont even know how to reply to a "teen mom" reference. If i knew who "butch" was or had ever seen that show, maybe your comment would mean something. You sure got me there 8)

By the way, "flaming" is when you personally attack a poster using insults. An example of flaming would be calling somebody "annoying" , like you did in the private message you took time out of your busy day to send me yesterday. You really got no right to be complaining about "flaming" when your behavior is full of the things you are accusing everybody else of.

Its very simple. It seems like you are new to message boards and dont really know how a forum works yet, so Ill explain it to you. The way people respond to you is a direct reflection of yourself and how you act. The way you get treated here starts with you, so if you aint able to handle it when people reply to your confrontational, disrespectful, overwhelmingly generalized, harsh posts with equally unpleasant shit, you need to change your posting style. You cant expect to just be able to say any negative, provocative thing you want and then be immune to any bad reaction to it that people have. If you got a right to say it, everybody else got a right to let you know they disagree. You dont get a free pass to say offensive shit that upsets lots of people and then say it aint fair when their replies offend you. Since you are new here its obvious that you just dont understand how shit works here yet. it aint your fault that you dont know. you just need time to get familiar with our forum and learn how to interact with people. Im sure that with time youll learn how to get along with the other members, i wouldnt expect you to "get" how it works here right away anyways. Dont feel bad, lots of new members have the same problem, Im sure that youll get the hang of it sooner or later and learn the appropriate way to act in our forum, Im sure you are trying very hard.

By the way , Methadone was created in germany in 1937 as a morphine substitute to be used as a painkiller. It was absolutely NOT created "to reduce street crime". It was never even used as a heroin addiction treatment until decades after it was created, and there was ZERO intent to use it for addiction substitution therapy at the time it was made. The addiction treatment properties of it were never even known til 1950.

Im sure that the rest of the posters here would love to see your "sources" where you get your methadone information from. I know I would. Since you are saying "real facts" and not just "stuff from the internet" Im sure you wont have too much of a problem providing sources to back up the claims you are making. Looking forward to seeing them soon! :)

Last edited:
Also, i wanted to explain the topic of this thread for you, since apparently you aint quite getting it. I didnt want my post to be too long and overwhelm you or anything so I split it up into 2.

Aight, anyways, The purpose of the thread is to ask about the effectiveness of methadone vs. suboxone for addiction treatment.

The question DONT involve a third option. Its methadone, or suboxone. "Neither, becuz I dont believe in opiate maintenance therapy" aint an option here. Its one or the other. Do you see a box to check off for "If you dont do NA and detox off everything, you can never succeed at being clean" ? No. It aint up there for a reason. Becuz this thread is specifically, particularly about methadone vs suboxone. Thats it. If you want to talk about your feelings on maintenance there is plenty of places to do that, but here aint one of them.

This thread AINT about your ideas on getting off methadone, or why maintenance sucks, or why being on maintenance fails in your opinion. It asks for your opinion--On meth vs sub. Nothing else. Not your opinion on whether maintenance is a valid path towards gettin clean.

Apparently you are missin the purpose of the thread, becuz you keep saying "Methadone is great--while you are on it." But the entire purpose of the thread is to discuss the effectiveness of the drugs WHILE YOU ARE ON THEM, so all the other shit you are saying really dont belong here. It aint a discussion about which one is easier or better to get off or nothing like that. it is ONLY concerned with how well does each drug work while you are on it.

Now that got cleared up, hopefully you can use this thread to post a reply thats relevant to the topic instead of usin it as a dumping ground to vent about your negative feelings on maintenance in general.

I'd prefer suboxone if I had to pick one. The withdrawal seems less intense when quitting, although still tough. I also feel "cleaner" I guess on Suboxone, but that is purely my opinion.

I'd prefer suboxone if I had to pick one. The withdrawal seems less intense when quitting, although still tough. I also feel "cleaner" I guess on Suboxone, but that is purely my opinion.

How do you feel when you are ON methadone vs suboxone? If you think sub is better share how you feel about it when you are on it, how effective you think it is....is it becuz its better at killing cravings? becuz you feel more alert and less tired? Etc. Lots of people are gettin confused about the question but its pretty straight up--the thread is asking how you feel while you are ON either drug, about which one is better while you are ON it. not which one is harder or easier to kick, which one is harder or easier to get, etc. Hope that helps to clear it up:)

How do you feel when you are ON methadone vs suboxone? If you think sub is better share how you feel about it when you are on it, how effective you think it is....is it becuz its better at killing cravings? becuz you feel more alert and less tired? Etc. Lots of people are gettin confused about the question but its pretty straight up--the thread is asking how you feel while you are ON either drug, about which one is better while you are ON it. not which one is harder or easier to kick, which one is harder or easier to get, etc. Hope that helps to clear it up:)

But see when you phrase it like that, basically you're asking "Which kills your urges more effectively?" right?

Well the whole reason you're getting all the replies ITT that you don't like is because your question, in the bigger picture, is asking which drug is better for addiction therapy, and that's why people are saying stuff like "Methadone for the high and Subs for staying clean".

If I'm wrong and your question DOESN'T actually pertain to which drug is more helpful through addiction, and rather just which drug has the better high, then yes, almost everybody here will reply Methadone.

I'm not meaning to flame you or anything Lacey, just trying to figure out what exactly you're asking.