• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

California Rejects Marijuana Legalization

I see why it failed esp. in a state like California, all the legal growers and illegal for that matter do not support the legalization of cannabis. Why, some pot head might ask, money is the reason why, all those people in Humboldt county and all over that state are maken 6+ figures a year growing cannabis the illegal ops make even more money, all that money is flowing due to the inflated price of dry bud, its inflated because its illegal in surrounding states. So why vote on something that will guarantee the growers/dealer less profit potential. But this is true for all prohibited substances. So my sweet America, as long as prohibition exists there will always be someone profiteering the shit out of it.

it also annoys me when either side alludes to legalization of heroin or cocaine. Maybe these substances are more dangerous than marijuana, but if legalized could be dosed correctly and remain uncut which is a large factor in the actual danger these drugs pose. Of course in the US the idea of legalizing heroin is used solely as a strawman argument, regardless of science or facts or the explanation of how a black market, not drugs themselves lead to crime and cycles/life patterns of drug use

And even some marijuana smokers did not like the idea of cannabis, long a symbol of the counterculture, being regulated. “I don’t want Anheuser-Busch handling pot or to have to buy Marlboro marijuana,” said Shaun Ramos, 29, who spent Tuesday morning sticking “No on Prop 19” posters on light posts in downtown Oakland, only to see them quickly removed by supporters of legalization. “This is all about corporate control.”

You don't HAVE to buy "marlboro" marijuana... how is it any different than brewing your own beer at home because you don't like Budweiser?

Then CNN covers an underground tunnel that is exposed running between, guess now, Mexico and California...

Yay, everybody clap please.

The proposition was rejected by an overwhelming majority across all demographics (except possibility young voters). There is still a mind set that marijuana is bad. It's been portrayed as a gateway drug. From pot, to pills, to the needle! Hand me another beer will ya... :p

Anyway, there is an old saying in science that no real advances take place until the generation that holds on to it's old way's and conclusions die off and make way for a new group of scientists who embrace change and new ideas. Something like that. 8)

I've had many talks with my 16 year old son about marijuana and even at his age he see's the hypocrisy of the war on drugs. Alcohol and cigarettes kill scores of people every year, but they are legal. Marijuana is not so it must be bad.

As a chronic pain sufferer, I've often thought about how I could benefit from medical marijuana (instead of the liver killing pills I take every day), but where I live the hassle is too much to deal with. It's been made legal, however raids on dispensaries are still occurring since nobody can agree on what the law actually say's. Plus the social stigma; it's OK to be an alky or a boozer but OH MY GOD that person is a POT HEAD, a DRUGGIE, a STONER!!! :!

Last edited:
well at least the oppurtunity presented itself , you never know the next time you might get what u want , all good things come to those who wait

As consequences and failures continue to roll, we can only hope that the failure of the measure will only be more proof of what a bloody sterling opportunity legalization is (and WAS.)

90% of any states' voting constituency has nothing to fear from threats of prosecution and sanction against a state by the Fed (as the govt dutifully threatened in the case of Cali and Prop. 19.) And just try pitting the states against the federal government. All you need is a history book to see where this road goes.

Greedheads and fatbacks your days are #'d.

It didn't pass because everyone was to busy getting stoned, procrastinating about going out to vote. Then everyone who didn't want it to pass did go out and vote against it imo.

The law to allow Marijuana Dispensaries in Oregon didn't pass either. Also, republican Dudley won for gov. Its sad because after I voted I called my friends and maybe only 20% of them voted. Kitzhaber and Dudley were virtually tied. I feel like if I convinced and helped some of my friends to vote, I actually could have made a difference.

We really have much more of a voice in state elections. Its worth helping your friends registering and taking it in for them if you have to. What a let down. If California made it legal, I believe a lot of other states would follow, especially here in Oregon.

It didn't pass because everyone was to busy getting stoned, procrastinating about going out to vote. Then everyone who didn't want it to pass did go out and vote against it imo.

I smoke, every day. My dad smokes more than I do. We both voted.
So did my roommates, who all smoke pot.

Prop 19 didn't pass, but I'm pretty sure it (or something like it) will be back.
The votes were pretty close this time I think. So maybe next time we'll win.

People talk a big game, but when it comes down to it they're too afraid of change to make it happen. I just read that all three counties of the Emerald Triangle in Northern CA overwhelmingly voted no on the proposition to serve their own selfish interests, i.e. growing and selling weed. Real smart.

Just like the gay marriage ban, they're just delaying the inevitable. Hopefully change comes sooner than later.

what would it take to re-schedule marijuana on the federal level? besides ... it being the "safest" drug ever...

an emergency DEA meeting where someone would have to admit... they were wrong?

i really think raids could continue on those who do not have permits to grow (costly of course)
and companies could still profit from those who wanted marlboro greens...
as well as the fed busting tax dodgers...

so close...

sorry grammar humpers, i have a hard-on for ellipses... mmmmm.... ellipses...

Last edited:
I want to point a few things out. Personally, I voted yes because I think it is important to send the message of "Legalize Ganja".

As is stands right now, if you get caught with weed, it is an infraction. A parking ticket. There are basically no ramifications besides a moderate fine. Driving while talking on your cell phone is a higher fine. If you don't want to deal with that, $75 will get you a license that makes growing and buying completely legal. The law is great. You can smoke anywhere cigs are allowed, find sellers with multiple strains in the newspaper, and get clones from these same people.

For people who are already legal, prop. 19 was a step backwards. It creates crimes out of things that weren't previously crimes. Because it was worded so ambiguously, you could go to jail for using or growing it anywhere near someone under 18, and if you pass a joint to someone under 21, you could go to jail. How the prop would interact with prop. 215 and sb 420 (our standing medical laws) was unclear.

Perhaps the northerners were being selfish, but it is possible that prop 19 could have completely destroyed their way of life and culture. We are talking about disabling one of the biggest counter-culture movements in the entire world. They thought it was a shitty law and I agree. If you want to come to cali and get legal bud, you already can. It will just cost you $75.

At the end of the day, I voted yes just to push the issue on a global scale. But if you take California as a microcosm, we are better off without prop. 19. Anyways, the 2012 legalization props are already written and in the process of getting on the ballet. I don't know what they say specifically but the issue is far from over.

peace!

This reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer gets medical marijuana and they hold a rally to keep it legal, but because they were high, they didn't realize the vote was held the day before.

A good point was brought up by Mehm too that if the bill was worded loosely or vaguely, it could've been interpreted in order to harm marijuana users that were already legal, rather than help them. As much as legalization would be great, the legislation needs to be worded in a way that can't be misinterpreted whether purposely or not.

You don't HAVE to buy "marlboro" marijuana... how is it any different than brewing your own beer at home because you don't like Budweiser?

Also, even with corporations like Budweiser, Coors, etc, micro-brewed beer is still readily available pretty much everywhere.

I imagine the same would be true for cannabis. Not to mention it would be insanely easy to grow your own, being legal.

Its sad because after I voted I called my friends and maybe only 20% of them voted. Kitzhaber and Dudley were virtually tied. I feel like if I convinced and helped some of my friends to vote, I actually could have made a difference.

Thats pretty close to what happened, same for all elections .