• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Taking ecstasy while on antidepressants

GunsN'Roses

Greenlighter
Hey guys! I had a problem and was wondering if you could help me out. I took ecstasy with my friend about a week ago and we felt nothing at all. Nada, zip. the pills I got from my friends looked legit. They were blue, had stamps on them, and were in the same bag that they were using for themselves, so I'm pretty sure I didn't get ripped off. I AM however on Klonopin, Depakote and Effexor due to my anxiety, so was this what caused the blockage of the E? By the way, my friend is also on a lot of antidepressants. Anything would help me out. Thanks!

yep my girlfriend has the same problem. I forget what the exact name of her medication is but any SSRI is going to block the drug from working properly. I forget the exact science of it but it basically prevents the seratonin from reaching the receptors it needs to.

You could try to stop taking the medicine for a few days before rolling, my girlfriend does this but sometimes experiences severe withdrawls, headaches, anxiety, depression, etc from the anti depressants. Once she stopped for 3 days and still had little effect though. would sort of come up a little and be back down and come up a little and be back down again and that went on for 2 hours. When she stopped for 6 days she was able to roll successfully.

Hey guys! I had a problem and was wondering if you could help me out. I took ecstasy with my friend about a week ago and we felt nothing at all. Nada, zip. the pills I got from my friends looked legit. They were blue, had stamps on them, and were in the same bag that they were using for themselves, so I'm pretty sure I didn't get ripped off. I AM however on Klonopin, Depakote and Effexor due to my anxiety, so was this what caused the blockage of the E? By the way, my friend is also on a lot of antidepressants. Anything would help me out. Thanks!

Worst combo ever :\ klonopin will dull a roll, depakote will completely kill a roll, and effexor will not only kill your roll, but has the chance to give you serotonin syndrome on top of that!!

You should still get a test kit to test your pills to know exactly what's in them, but that won't help at all as long as you're on those meds.

If you really need those meds, I'm not saying to get off them. Not taking effexor can cause SSRI discontinuation syndrome (http://bipolar.about.com/cs/antidep/a/0207_ssridisc1.htm) and there are also withdrawal issues for depakote and ESPECIALLY with any benzodiazepine like klonopin (although taking this shouldn't interfere too badly).

If you want to stop your drugs, consult your psychiatrist or doctor to ween yourself off them if you and your doctor feel you're psychologically well enough to get off them.

I'm surprised your dealer didn't ask you if you're on any meds. If you happened to be on an MAOI and ended up dying from taking that pill, he could be in a lot of trouble.

We had a friend with us who was planning to roll for the first time so he gave up anti-depressants for a mere 4 days- no roll. =( Total bummer, as he is someone with a lot of personal battles and it would have been beautiful.

I think you have to wait quite a bit of time, but I don't know the exact numbers on that and for each drug.

I'm surprised your dealer didn't ask you if you're on any meds. If you happened to be on an MAOI and ended up dying from taking that pill, he could be in a lot of trouble.

This is sarcasm, right? I'm fairly sure I've never had a dealer inquire about possible drug interactions.

Well my dealer always asks new customers or first timers if they're on any meds. My friend who used to sell molly did the same. Haha, I guess some dealers are more conscientious than others when it comes to the safety of their customers.

Laying off the meds for a few days won't do it. Most SSRI's have a huge half-life, so if you do end up trying to roll again (with your psychiatrist's permission to drop the meds, of course) you may have to stop the meds up to a month before you plan on rolling.

K-Dazed is correct. I used to be on Zoloft and I eventually got off of it (not entirely because of rolling, but because I did not like how it affected me). But I waited about a month and a half before rolling so I wouldn't waste a point.

just to point out, just because they were blue and had stamps on. it dont mean nothin mate...

There are a few SSRIs you can be on and still roll. Prozac is one of them because for the first 3 months that I started rolling, I was on 20mg Prozac daily. I forgot the names of the other SSRIs though

Well my dealer always asks new customers or first timers if they're on any meds. My friend who used to sell molly did the same. Haha, I guess some dealers are more conscientious than others when it comes to the safety of their customers.

Hmmm. I doubt that's common practice (I'm sure it wasn't anyplace I've ever lived). I think most dealers feel like it is their customer's responsibility to understand what might happen to them (and rightly so IMO)

I assumed it was sarcasm because you added the statement about the dealer being in trouble if somebody died. I'm pretty sure trafficking in Schedule I drugs already carries some fairly severe penalties.

No one here is stating the obvious: don't take a serious brain drug when you are depressed and on 3 meds.

The E won't work and FFS, how do you know one of those combos won't be lethal?

When I went on antidepressants I cherry picked Wellbutrin largely because it meant I could continue using MDMA (and pretty much any other drug apart from DXM), I mean SSRI's work but fuck their side effect profile is a pain in the ass.

Hmmm. I doubt that's common practice (I'm sure it wasn't anyplace I've ever lived). I think most dealers feel like it is their customer's responsibility to understand what might happen to them (and rightly so IMO)

I assumed it was sarcasm because you added the statement about the dealer being in trouble if somebody died. I'm pretty sure trafficking in Schedule I drugs already carries some fairly severe penalties.

Yeah, just for trafficking MDMA, you automatically get hit with manslaughter. I read an article once where this 21 year old guy got charged with 1st degree murder, because he sold this girl an E pill that killed her. I think they said it had cyanide in it.

Ouch. I'm on 60 mg of Cymbalta and 900mg SJW (for OCD/Aspergers) and I really wanted to, after much consideration, try E. This was my initial thread as to why. But if it's not going to work than it's not worth it. Too bad. I'm so desperately trying to recreate the magic that long runs USED to produce.

I rolled on ecstasy (mdma) after breaking from effexor (venlafaxine) for 4 days and I felt a strong affect - it was fantastic. You can NOT take both drugs at the same time; effexor blocks ecstasy from working.

Here's how you can do it...

Day 1: After taking your last dose of effexor, enjoy the rest of your day!
Day 2: If you feel mild effexor withdrawal symptoms, go for a run and enjoy the rest of your day!
Day 3: You'll feel stronger withdrawal symptoms. Take some drugs that won't block ecstasy (klonopin, pot, etc...).
Day 4: You'll feel pretty miserable. Use the dream of ecstasy (and perhaps more klonopin/pot/etc...) to hang in there.
Day 5: Roll your brains out on ecstasy.
Day 6: Start taking your effexor again.

- You may need more or less days depending on your effexor dosage and metabolism. Personally, I'm on 150mg of effexor. I'm male, 29 yrs old, 170 lbs.
- If you break for 3 days (instead of 4), you can still roll a little (but it's mild)
- After 4 days, there's less than 1mg of effexor in your body if you're on a 150mg dose (because effexor has a very short half-life...i.e. < 12 hrs)

Be safe and have fun!!!!!

You're lucky you didn't get serotonin syndrome, which is a possibility when you mix anti depressants and mdma! Whenever you're doing drugs, LOOK UP to see if you can do two drugs together or not! In this case, you shouldn't have.

So yeah you know the reason why you didn't roll.

If it's safe for you to get off anti depressants, you should be off them for over a week, two weeks is better, before trying mdma. One of my friends got of anti depressants and tried mdma five days after and got nothing from it. In another week and a half, she tried it again, and it worked.

SSRI + MDMA normally wont cause SS, only with MAOIs is the real danger of it.