• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids The Lyrica (Pregabalin) Mega Thread v 2.0

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but is there anything OTC that is similar to Gabapentin? Not to get high, but really just stave off withdraw/pain.

^not similar to Gabapentin, but loperamide & codeine (depending where u live), CWE & doing a drive by of all surrounding pharmacys to stock up got me through many a tough time.

Poppy seed tea if you have a low opi tolerance. I assume that's what you're in pain/wding from?

Rtp

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but is there anything OTC that is similar to Gabapentin? Not to get high, but really just stave off withdraw/pain.

Yes, you can buy kava. It may have a similar mechanism of action to gabapebtinoids. YMMV. Don't expect to get high off it

One thing that baffles me is how people talk about getting super high off lyrica. Literally every time I take it, it just puts me to sleep. I feel way to tired to fight the urge to sleep. How do you guys even stay awake??? Or this an effect you get at only very high doses?

Lyrica is fantastic for opioid potentiation though.

Do you usually eat after you take it? When I take it and get the buzz, if I eat I will pass the F out.

I realise this is a much belated response but I have exactly the same experience .... I can take 900mg, wait 2 hours, sit down and close my eyes and away I go. Feels like my brain being almost able to percieve the 4th dimension

I'll expand. It seems my experience is somewhat different to many others. I'm prescribed Pregabalin 600 mg a day. I'm British so they're free. If I take 1200 mg and wait 2 hours ...... I feel an overwhelming relaxation, and if I sit and close my eyes I feel like I've slipped into another dimension, clear visuals although mild. Still fully aware but have to be careful to fight sleep to keep it going. It lasts for hours. Then I take 300 mg for a week and can repeat the process .... however odd times I've run out the withdrawal is very bad ..... no sleep ...... irritable ...... an itch I can't descride mixed with a bit of an opiate withdrawal. I've been on these at this dose for 2 years.

Do you usually eat after you take it? When I take it and get the buzz, if I eat I will pass the F out.

Are you referring to my comment on lyrica or kava? Kava I have to take on an empty stomach to feel really anything. I've experimented with eating and lyrica and never noticed a connection.

I think I've just never taken enough lyrica in one go to get the recreational effects. If I take much more than 150 I can't fight the urge to sleep

150 mg of Pregabalin is nowhere near enough to enter the state I mentioned, even with zero tolerance ..... when you feel the strong sedation coming on after about 40 mins, keep busy for another hour ? .... then try relaxing in a safe place and closing your eyes. You should be able to bypass the initial urge to sleep. Just make sure you're in a safe place. Be careful of dosage, as I have tolerance.

Hmm I've tried taking around 300 mg and I could not stay awake when it was kicking in... i woke up like 6 hours later, so I basically slept through the experience. That's the most I've taken. I just doubt I can stay awake for a mega dose if anything over 150 knocks me out cold. Maybe I just don't have the right brain chemistry for it

Coming off Lyrica for a month now and on Gabapentin... No where near feel normal yet.. (more pain)

Are you referring to my comment on lyrica or kava? Kava I have to take on an empty stomach to feel really anything. I've experimented with eating and lyrica and never noticed a connection.

I think I've just never taken enough lyrica in one go to get the recreational effects. If I take much more than 150 I can't fight the urge to sleep

Do you eat after you take the Lyrica? Within any time period after you take it? If you take it any time after while the buzz is going, sleep will always consume you.

So i went to a shrink for dissociation, derealization and trouble focusing and remembering stuff.. and um she told me I probably have repressed anxiety? Like i don't really feel anxious but I guess i am? :/ idk anyways she gave me lyrica for it and what's you guys' experience with taking it for that purpose? I mean some of the side effects seem to be literally the stuff I've been trying to get rid of? I'm prescribed 25 mg twice a day, last night i took it for the first time and it.. did give me some sort of short lived high, at first a weird anesthetic feeling throughout my body, some energy and euphoria.. similar to tramadol tbh. this morning I took it again and idkkk I feel a bit high and weird but also anxious which.. lmao what the fuck..

Google is pretty cool. 25mg is very small in terms of dosage. Keep in mind, Lyrica has a huge chance for dependance as well as quick tolerance. Soooo when you run out... it might suck a bit.

If you don't mind me asking a question that has probably been asked a million times before:

My doc prescribed me 75 mg of Lyrica. What is a good starting dose for a small guy like me(5'9, 154) if I want that euphoria some people talk about. I am going to see my doc in a couple of weeks, should I ask for the 300 mg tablets?

Without a tolerance, 75 mg might give you a good buzz.

Don't ask for 300 mg tablets.... They're not a thing... 75 mg is actually a high starting dose

It's not that high of a starting dose for anxiety even for anxiety imo - it's what I started at for that indication. For anticonvulsant effects the doses are quite a bit higher.

300 mg capsules are a thing. If I were your doctor though I would be really suspicious of why you would ask for such a dosage unless you have some serious neurpathy or convulsive activity (in which case, don't abuse these!)... 150 mg is less suspect and I would just find other ways of making clear that you have a high tolerance and are running through them quickly. You better prepare a decent story for asking for more and more... worse than not getting what you want is having a doctor who doesn't trust you.

Why do you take them though?

The magic/euphoria you're talking about (which should happen at 150-225 and above) does go away relatively soon, although other actions are still effective. Still, depending on why you are taking this you should not make a habit out of taking high doses as it's not worth ruining an effective treatment for that reason. If you don't even feel that you need any help from them and wouldn't care if they become ineffective then by all means.

Last edited:
Without a tolerance, 75 mg might give you a good buzz.

Don't ask for 300 mg tablets.... They're not a thing... 75 mg is actually a high starting dose

300mg Pregabalin capsules are a thing Slow! They just don't have them stateside yet as far as I can tell. Another thing we don't have? Generic versions of this shit. I feel that if a naive user wanted to experience the full range of recreational effects that Pregabalin has to offer, 300mg is appropriate. I personally do 600mg to start even when I have no tolerance. Of course, it's always wise to perform some sort of allergy/sensitivity test prior to diving in.

Pregabalin belongs to a class of drugs known as the Gabapentinoids. This class includes Gabapentin (Neurontin), Pregabalin (Lyrica) and Phenibut along with other similar, but novel and unused variations like 4-Methylpregabalin, Atagabalin etc. They're well known for their exceptionally wide therapeutic index. They are practically harmless, although some experience non-epileptic convulsions at very high dosages, even these don't appear to be dangerous. So, experiment away.

Solipsis has made some good points though. Acute tolerance is a distinguishing characteristic of this class of drugs. It grows expontentially from dose to dose. I've taken +60g Gabapentin in 24hr periods on several occasions. I'm not proud of it, but hell, I was really dope sick and it helped. Bear in mind, this high dosage was due to tolerance over the prior 3 days. I started on day one with 4.5g. +1000% increase over the course of days.

That's very surprising, but I stand corrected.

I still think it's a bad idea to ask for 300mg capsules when your doctor has you on 75 mg. That's a huge jump. Asking for 150 mg doses would be much more reasonable if 75 mg doesn't do anything for you.

Most studies look at 600 mg/day as a maximum effective dosage, so I wouldn't expect your doctor to give you more than that. 200 mg 3x a day is a pretty common maximum dosage, but of course some might go over that if there's good reason to. Doctors will usually try something else if 150 3x a day still doesn't work, so be careful about pushing your luck

I know this all too well. I wish they made Generic versions of this earlier. However, they wont until 2018. They were in a pretty deep lawsuit, in which they lost, to the people wanting to prescribe this for anxiety. The VA wont prescribe it until it's generic. The bastards.

It works better for pain, as it's a nerve relief.

I would also recommend caution with this, as over usage makes the tolerance grow, which can be very quick as stated above. Also, the withdraw from this is no fun. Not as bad as opioids, but the anxiety and depression is pretty brutal... That's one of the reasons why I think it's stupid that a DR would prescribe this for anxiety... if those said people abuse this, they will have anxiety even worse... plus, that shit is in your head... sitfu.