• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids The Lyrica (Pregabalin) Mega Thread v 2.0

Do you notice any stomach discomfort during withdrawals?

I was on Lyrica 300 mg a day about 3 years ago and used it for nervepain just 6 months. Decided that I wouldn't get addicted to it and tapered slowly down. Think I used about 2 months to get completely off. The first few weeks I cut my doses with 50 mg and didn't notice anything really. Then I cut with 50 mg again and started to feel a bit sick. Like having the flu. When completely off this would not stop and worsened. Bodyache, fevers, nausea (really bad), panic attacks, stomach pain etc. I also had extremely loss of short term memory and had a hard time finding the right words.
I call it withdrawals from hell and back again!!!

Last edited:
I've been reading this thread and I'm one of the few people that doesn't get many withdrawal symptoms. I'm on a pretty low dose and start alternating days went I want to get off. I just feel "meh" for a few days. But since I take it for radiculopathy, the pain comes back rather quickly.

For those using pregabalin for pain,- I just saw a new PM dr who says amongst themselves lyrica is the biggest con-markerted med on the market , that only one outta seven with neuropathic pain get analgesia from it.
I take it for recreation, so what would I know.. Anyone care to chime in ?!?

Rtp

Update: Day 3 of CT was too much so I took a pill and felt fine again. Took another at bed time. I am gonna try a slow taper and stay at the minimum dosage. I think because of the 2 days of wd hell brought my tolerance way down.

Hey guys, how often and how much gabapentin can I take without experiencing withdrawal symtoms? Would 1600mg per week be safe?

For those using pregabalin for pain,- I just saw a new PM dr who says amongst themselves lyrica is the biggest con-markerted med on the market , that only one outta seven with neuropathic pain get analgesia from it.

Rtp

I saw that and my guess is everybody's biochemistry is different. I take a low dose for radiculopathy and it does work. No more tingles and nerve pain. Which returns if I stop the dosage. It's the only oral medication that stops the symptoms-my other option would be injection therapy. No thanks. I literally can't afford the time off for epidurals or facet joint injections. And I'm not comfortable with how much steroid is used.

^I take quite a high dose of lyrica & previously Gabapentin & it helped immensely with the shooting leg pains I experienced at night in bed.

Thankfully those times have passed & I now just take it prn.

Clearly though, it's been mass marketed with kick backs for prescribing drs with sales at a record high. Pretty much every pain dr has their patients on it.

Rtp

Any updates? Im still trying to get off this shit... Its hard when anxiety and pain relief is just a pill away. I'm going to assume what I'm going thru is withdrawal bs and gonna try to survive past 3 days without taking this med (today is my 2nd, last time I relapsed on 3rd day)

^I take quite a high dose of lyrica & previously Gabapentin & it helped immensely with the shooting leg pains I experienced at night in bed.

Thankfully those times have passed & I now just take it prn.

Clearly though, it's been mass marketed with kick backs for prescribing drs with sales at a record high. Pretty much every pain dr has their patients on it.

Rtp
do u think Pregbalin (Lyrica) and Gabapentin (Neurontin) are pretty much the same med? They seem to be used for same purpose. Just difference in potency, hence the dosage difference I think... I read that lyrica is 6x more potent than Neurontin.

^Yes, when Lyrica was released it was referred to as gabapentins 'big brother'.

Most, if not all chronic pain patients I know have now been switched to lyrica.

Sorry to hear you're suffering such pain and withdrawal symptoms by coming off it. I never had wds, so I have nothing to offer in that area sorry.

Rtp

Rtp

If that's true I must be the lucky one of seven. While I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone who experiences nerve pain, I think the odds are better than 1 in 7 or it wouldn't be so widely used with commercials on TV all time about it

Two points:

• 1/7 actually are pretty good odds.
  • Judging the efficacy of any medication from the prevalence of advertising used to sell said medication would be very mistaken indeed.
Alright, sorry for interrupting your discussion ;)

I've been led to believe that a medication can only be released to the market once it helps at least 1/5 patients.

With the rate of prescribing pregabalin, & if these stats are correct, I'd say mass prescription compared to efficacy of the drug would be the reason Pfizer would be increasingly advertised.

It's actually the only prescription drug advertised in our country.

Anyway, I know for sure Gabapentin helped my shooting leg pains at night, perhaps so did lyrica when I switched to it, (ahem, at my drs request), though I may not have given it a decent trial.

I'll also attest how great it works for opi wds, as many BLs are aware of, & I'm sure it won't be too long until Pfizer catches on to this too. Or they probably already have.

Whether they want to be known as a company that assists with this is yet to be known, they may pass it down to sell to another pharmaceutical company.

Rtp

Any updates? Im still trying to get off this shit... Its hard when anxiety and pain relief is just a pill away. I'm going to assume what I'm going thru is withdrawal bs and gonna try to survive past 3 days without taking this med (today is my 2nd, last time I relapsed on 3rd day)

I'm finding it helpfuul splitting my dose into four and cutting daily 2mg, taking half a mg off each dose I take.
Headaches tell me when to reduce the cut.

^Strity, what do you plan to do for pain relief after going through these wds? Or is it going cold turkey that's brought on some pain for you?

Rtp

^Strity, what do you plan to do for pain relief after going through these wds? Or is it going cold turkey that's brought on some pain for you?

Rtp
The pain is definitely not a wd effect since I only feel pain in one area (where I got injured). I just had surgery again last week to address this issue. I hope the pain will go away by itself.

Day 5 CT off Lyrica, replaced with Kratom

If that's true I must be the lucky one of seven. While I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone who experiences nerve pain, I think the odds are better than 1 in 7 or it wouldn't be so widely used with commercials on TV all time about it

I have pressure on nerve roots in my back and Lyrica worked great in the beginning almost night and day and still decently when my dose got doubled but that soon lost it's effectiveness. After 2 1/2 years and already fearing the withdrawal decided I didn't want to increase my dose and detoxed instead. Even though I still take them 1-2 times a week I miss being on them at night but I don't want to go through that hell again.

Any noticeable difference? Doubt it given the doses you have previously taken, but I've read other posts that say a break as little as a week,(almost there :), can help with tolerance to lyrica.

Don't be too hard on yourself, as you say, you had stuff to do, & doing anything while in wd is close to impossible.

Tomorrow's another day, just pick up where you left off m'k?

Rtp