• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Temazepam for my dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vets do prescribe benzos to dogs for seizures (and no doubt some other disorders), but I wouldn't assume that the mg/kg dose which is safe for humans is safe for dogs - different animals metabolise drugs differently (thus some guy doing his dissertation on it as I mentioned above).

Why are you giving your dog random benzos? Xanax, Valium and now Temazepam. Just curious.

^^^ I only gave him Temazepam one time along time ago (its usually Alprazolam in SMALL doses)
I am totally against giving dogs drugs to get them high!

Also I found this on a website so I know vets do prescribe xanax to dogs:

Using Xanax for Dogs With Anxiety Disorders <<---link to info about dogs and Xanax.
"The typical Xanax dosage for dogs is 0.01 to 0.05 mg per pound, administered orally every 12 hours."
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Well my dog doesn't act agressive when I give a benzo. And i usually give him b/w 0.25-0.5mgs of Alprazolam, which is a low therapeutic dose and he does just fine it...and I mean its only once in a blue moon that he needs it (maybe about once every other month and only when he needs it).

And Guys I am not giving him a benzo to get him high for god sakes! (how many times must I say that?) The reason I gave him some is because he has kidney stones and has/was acting nervous and skittish so I looked up online and called the vet and both said it is ok to give a dog a benzo (Xanax mainly) as long as you know what your doing and know the correct dosage..... As far as dogs becoming aggressive on benzo's is totally wrong in my experience... Because after I gave him 0.25-0.5mgs of xanax the other night he became very calm and got a good nights rest....

Plus he had a valium shot at the vet's awhile ago and it made him totally chill and relaxed so I am not really sure what you guys are talking about when you say "Oh benzo's make dogs aggressive" ..... because that just wrong, maybe in some dogs it does, i dont know, but my dog (which is a little Westie, and he is old, his name is Mr. Biggle Puff; lol) doesn't act aggressive when i give him a benzo... And he has bad pain some days due to kidney stones and sense I don't have any painkillers to give him (besides Tramadol, which I would never give to a dog) the best thing I can do for him is to make him a little more comfortable when he is having a "pain/anxiety attack" by giving him a benzodizapine like alprazolam (xanax)... thats all I am saying guys, please don't think I am a stupid ass hole that just gives his dogs drugs to get him high....

Sorry for the rant but I love my dog and animals in general so don't think I am trying to get him high, its strictly for his anxiety and pain to help him at least

relax when he's shaking and crying

Last edited:
Strange that this would come up, because last night I saw someone give a pit a .5 klonopin. It seemed to calm her down, and she seemed to enjoy it. But when I was playing with her (we play pretty rough) she got unusually agressive.
I don't remember any of this or writing that, although I certainly know what dog I was talking about. Fucking benzo.8o8o8o

My sister is a vet and she only administers phenobarbital for seizure prone dogs and a low to moderate dose for surgery but other than that she would never give a dog a sedative for any other reason. But that's just her practice. I imagine vets have their own way of treating animals.

honestly you shouldnt be giving your dogs meds without talking to a vet, but i mean if its a old sick dog and the benzos seem to help i would just make sure the dosage is right and that the medicine is actually not poison to the dog. I know for a fact that dogs to get valium and xanax, but i am not sure about Temazepam, I would make sure its ok before using it just because its also a benzo doesn't mean its just like xanax and valium chemically. Also you say you would never give you dog Tramadol; thats the only pain killer they gave my dog, besides morphine when he got really bad. You would also be surprised the dose, they usually give dogs 1mg of morphine per kg of the dogs weight orally. Also the tramadol was dose was almost the same as a humans dose.

Hopefully the OP has worked out a solution by now since this was started in 2010.
Threads about medicating animals are against posting guidelines so I'm closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.