Bluelight

Thread: Temazepam for my dog?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Temazepam for my dog? 
    Question
    Hey I was just curious if it is okay to give a dog Temazepam (aka Restoril)? I know vets use valium and sometimes xanax on dogs and I have given him both xanax and valium with no complications.. So does anyone know if it is okay to give a dog Temazepam? ( I know the right dosages and everything, I am not some stupid kid trying to get his dog high) This is strictly for his pain/anxiety when he's shaking him pain due to kidney stones and starts crying (whimpering), and I only give him 0.25-0.5mgs of alprazolam to help him relax and get a good sleep... Also It's not like I am giving him a benzo everyday, its like maybe once every 2 months and I only give it to him when hes not doing very well..... I should of named this "Xanax for my dog?"

(I only gave him temazepam one time at 10mg dosage)

Also I found this on a website so I know vets do prescribe xanax to dogs:

Using Xanax for Dogs With Anxiety Disorders <<---link to info about dogs and Xanax.
    "The typical Xanax dosage for dogs is 0.01 to 0.05 mg per pound, administered orally every 12 hours."

Read more:

PS - Oh and by the way does anyone know of anything you can give to dogs to help their stomachs/colons? Cause my dog (Mr. Biggle Puff) get tummy aches every once in awhile but I don't know what to give him.... the only think I can think of is maybe Benadryl? If i had promethazine I wonder if that would work? any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Herbal~Jah; 18-12-2010 at 22:46.

2. Collapse Details

3. Collapse Details

Thumbs down

Yeah I already read that link, but it didn't answer my question. I trust BLer's more then some random retard on yahoo answers...

4. Collapse Details

i guess if you want your dog to pass out or feel very, very calm...

5. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Quote Originally Posted by StaySedated View Post
    i guess if you want your dog to pass out or feel very, very calm...
    At least the dog's not going to order a whole lot of weird shit online while blacked out.

6. Collapse Details

Is your dog scared to leave the house or something?

7. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Dear lord. I just Googled to see what I could come up with on the veterinary use of temazepam in animals other than horses and came across someone's dissertation on this.

From what I can find, temazepam is used primarily in combination with anaesthetic agents in canines and benzos in general often cause excitability in healthy animals.

8. Collapse Details

I am pretty sure BL doesn't allow, or urges against, asking about administering drugs to animals...

9. Collapse Details

Well, I only gave him about 5 - 10mgs of temazepam and he is doing just fine. I wanted to make sure there was no allergic reaction.. so it is safe.

10. Collapse Details

but why???

11. Collapse Details

Speak to a veterinarian first!! NEVER just randomly give your dog/pet drugs.

Also that link to a yahoo answer is wrong in saying that "temazepam is just a 'hypnotic' benzo and no good for anxiety and that valium is an 'anxiolytic' benzo and no good for insomnia". ALL benzos have hypnotic/sedative, anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, muscle relaxant and amnesic actions/properties. Just some benzos are stronger in their hypnotic effect and may be weak in their muscle relaxant effect or anxiolytic effect, while other benzos may have a strong anxiolytic effect with less of a hypnotic effect. But all benzos have these effects to some degree.

How can you say "it is safe"? Animals (dogs) can metabolize certain chemicals very differently to how a human would (something safe to us could kill a dog, or even a certain breed of dog). Which is where it get's complicated which is why veterinarians exist. Never assume, and treat your dog like a guinea pig. Ask an expert.
    Last edited by puckboy; 25-10-2010 at 07:37.

12. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    dont do it.that would be seriously irresponsible and unethical.

13. Collapse Details

benzos DO generally cause excitability in animals.

give 2mg of xanax to a dog and see if he bites you. seriously. it will not calm them down.

14. Collapse Details

Strange that this would come up, because last night I saw someone give a pit a .5 klonopin. It seemed to calm her down, and she seemed to enjoy it. But when I was playing with her (we play pretty rough) she got unusually agressive.

15. Collapse Details

A glass bottle in the ocean between waves and rocks
    before putting your dog on powerfull psycotropic medications, maybe he/she AND you should all go see a psychiatrist together...

16. Collapse Details

Somewhere between Eden and North Utopia. Somewhere beneath the astral plain
    Why are you giving your dog random benzos? Xanax, Valium and now Temazepam. Just curious.

17. Collapse Details

What the fck are you giving your dog benzos for?

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by homeydontplaythat View Post
    benzos DO generally cause excitability in animals.

give 2mg of xanax to a dog and see if he bites you. seriously. it will not calm them down.
    In all animals? Vets semi-commonly prescribe xanax to dogs. I've also seen dogs who were on xanax that they were given from their prescription. They seemed pretty chilled out. That dog's prescription was actually for 2 mg xanax, and that dog never once bit anyone. Always seemed to enjoy it in fact. It was prescribed them because it became extremly agitated during thunderstorms.

19. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Why do not you quit with the dogs and the icons?

20. Collapse Details

Question still remains, why are you giving the dog benzos? Who cares if vets prescribe them, why are YOU administrating them?

21. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Vets do prescribe benzos to dogs for seizures (and no doubt some other disorders), but I wouldn't assume that the mg/kg dose which is safe for humans is safe for dogs - different animals metabolise drugs differently (thus some guy doing his dissertation on it as I mentioned above).

22. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by K'd-OUT-in-AZ View Post
    Why are you giving your dog random benzos? Xanax, Valium and now Temazepam. Just curious.
    ^^^ I only gave him Temazepam one time along time ago (its usually Alprazolam in SMALL doses)
    I am totally against giving dogs drugs to get them high!

Also I found this on a website so I know vets do prescribe xanax to dogs:

Using Xanax for Dogs With Anxiety Disorders <<---link to info about dogs and Xanax.
    "The typical Xanax dosage for dogs is 0.01 to 0.05 mg per pound, administered orally every 12 hours."
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Well my dog doesn't act agressive when I give a benzo. And i usually give him b/w 0.25-0.5mgs of Alprazolam, which is a low therapeutic dose and he does just fine it...and I mean its only once in a blue moon that he needs it (maybe about once every other month and only when he needs it).

And Guys I am not giving him a benzo to get him high for god sakes! (how many times must I say that?) The reason I gave him some is because he has kidney stones and has/was acting nervous and skittish so I looked up online and called the vet and both said it is ok to give a dog a benzo (Xanax mainly) as long as you know what your doing and know the correct dosage..... As far as dogs becoming aggressive on benzo's is totally wrong in my experience... Because after I gave him 0.25-0.5mgs of xanax the other night he became very calm and got a good nights rest....

Plus he had a valium shot at the vet's awhile ago and it made him totally chill and relaxed so I am not really sure what you guys are talking about when you say "Oh benzo's make dogs aggressive" ..... because that just wrong, maybe in some dogs it does, i dont know, but my dog (which is a little Westie, and he is old, his name is Mr. Biggle Puff; lol) doesn't act aggressive when i give him a benzo... And he has bad pain some days due to kidney stones and sense I don't have any painkillers to give him (besides Tramadol, which I would never give to a dog) the best thing I can do for him is to make him a little more comfortable when he is having a "pain/anxiety attack" by giving him a benzodizapine like alprazolam (xanax)... thats all I am saying guys, please don't think I am a stupid ass hole that just gives his dogs drugs to get him high....

Sorry for the rant but I love my dog and animals in general so don't think I am trying to get him high, its strictly for his anxiety and pain to help him at least

relax when he's shaking and crying
    Last edited by Herbal~Jah; 18-12-2010 at 22:50.

23. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fryingsquirrel View Post
    Strange that this would come up, because last night I saw someone give a pit a .5 klonopin. It seemed to calm her down, and she seemed to enjoy it. But when I was playing with her (we play pretty rough) she got unusually agressive.
    I don't remember any of this or writing that, although I certainly know what dog I was talking about. Fucking benzo.

24. Collapse Details

OH WELL! btw my brother is a vet.... so yeah

25. Collapse Details

My sister is a vet and she only administers phenobarbital for seizure prone dogs and a low to moderate dose for surgery but other than that she would never give a dog a sedative for any other reason. But that's just her practice. I imagine vets have their own way of treating animals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast