• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

mixing adderall and alcohol neurotoxicity

number_2_pencil

Greenlighter
Does any one have any research reports topic on this or where a good place to look is. Any one have any information on not necessarily neurotoxicity but negative effects or an explanation of the physiological response

should be in basic discussions maybe my bad

Last edited:
moderate amounts of ethanol are usually neuroprotective against excitotoxicity. Don't know if this transfers to amphetamine, but have a look-see:

1. Brain Res. 2004 Nov 26;1028(1):66-74.

In the adult CNS, ethanol prevents rather than produces NMDA antagonist-induced
neurotoxicity.

Farber NB, Heinkel C, Dribben WH, Nemmers B, Jiang X.

Department of Psychiatry, Washington University, Campus Box 8134 660 S. Euclid
Ave. St. Louis, MO, 63110-1093, USA. [email protected]

Single doses of an NMDA antagonist cause an adult or a prepubertal form of
neurodegeneration, depending on the age of the animal. Single doses of ethanol
(EtOH) by blocking NMDA receptors produce apoptotic neurodegeneration in young
animals. This capability could account, in part, for the ability of EtOH to
produce the fetal alcohol syndrome. We investigated whether EtOH could produce
NMDA antagonist-induced neurotoxicity (NAN), a different neurotoxicity that is
seen only in adult animals. In spite of producing blood EtOH levels (30 to 600
mg/dl) known to block NMDA receptors, EtOH was unable to produce neurotoxicity in
the adult central nervous system (CNS). Moreover, EtOH in a dose-dependent
fashion (ED(50)=138 mg/dl) prevented the selective and powerful NMDA antagonist,
MK-801, from producing NAN in adult animals, suggesting that activity at another
site might be negating the neurotoxic effect of EtOH's inherent NMDA antagonistic
activity. Because GABA(A) agonism and non-NMDA glutamate antagonism, properties
which EtOH possesses, can prevent NAN, we proceeded to study whether GABA(A)
antagonists (or agents capable of reversing EtOH's GABAergic effects) and
non-NMDA agonists could reverse EtOH's protective effect. Bicuculline, Ro15-4513,
finasteride, kainic acid or AMPA, alone or in combination, did not significantly
reverse EtOH's protective effect. Given that EtOH has effects on a wide range of
ion channels and receptors, determining the precise mechanism of EtOH's
protective effect will take additional effort. The inability of EtOH to acutely
produce NAN in the adult CNS indicates that, in contrast to fetuses, brief
exposure of the adult CNS to EtOH is non-toxic for neurons.

PMID: 15518643 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

i don't think they're specifically nerotoxic, but mixing alcohol with amphetamine is not good for you. dehydration, stress on the heart, and possible liver toxicity could result from this combo.

i don't think they're specifically nerotoxic, but mixing alcohol with amphetamine is not good for you. dehydration, stress on the heart, and possible liver toxicity could result from this combo.

Both amphetamine and ethanol are neurotoxins.

I would have to agree that from personal experience with adderall + alcohol (although dexedrine + alcohol was my combo of choice as well) that it is very neurotoxic, just from the after-effects, worse hangover, cognitive impairment the day after...extreme dehydration.

My advice, take one or the other if you must. Taking both is a bad idea and not in the interest of harm reduction. :)

speed and alcohol lead to more drinking and a brutal comedown with huge amounts of anxiety, wether its neurotoxic or not it a combo to steer well clear of...

I would have to agree that from personal experience with adderall + alcohol (although dexedrine + alcohol was my combo of choice as well) that it is very neurotoxic, just from the after-effects, worse hangover, cognitive impairment the day after...extreme dehydration.

My advice, take one or the other if you must. Taking both is a bad idea and not in the interest of harm reduction. :)

Hey NeighborhoodThreat would you say that adderall (or dexedrine) + alcohol is similar to cocaine + alcohol?
I normally get extremely sleepy the faster I drink, so to combat that and continue partying I've began to sip slower and do bumps of yay throughout the night. The hangovers suck but at least I get to party longer. I still almost always eventually pass out someplace however.

Last edited:

Amphetamine neurotoxicity is exhaustively documented in the literature. Here's an abridged list of papers you may want to check out:

Structural features of amphetamine neurotoxicity in the brain
By Axt, Karen J.; Mamounas, Laura A.; Molliver, Mark E.
Edited by Cho, Arthur K.; Segal, David S
From Amphetamine Its Analogs(1994),315-67.

Amphetamine neurotoxicity: roles for dopamine, glutamate and oxidative stress
By Yamamoto, Bryan K.; Gudelsky, Gary A.; Stephans, Stacy E.
From Progress in HPLC-HPCE(1998 ),7(Neurochemical Markers of Degenerative Nervous Diseases and Drug Addiction),223-244.

Role of mitochondrial dysfunction and dopamine-dependent oxidative stress in amphetamine-induced toxicity
By Lotharius, Julie; O'Malley, Karen L.
From Annals of Neurology(2001),49(1),79-89.

Amphetamine neurotoxicity: cause and consequence of oxidative stress
By Yamamoto Bryan K; Bankson Michael G
From Critical reviews in neurobiology(2005),17(2),87-117.

The neurotoxicity of amphetamines: Bridging drugs of abuse and neurodegenerative disorders
By Iacovelli, Luisa; Fulceri, Federica; De Blasi, Antonio; Nicoletti, Ferdinando; Ruggieri, Stefano; Fornai, Francesco
From Experimental Neurology(2006),201(1),24-31.

Hey NeighborhoodThreat would you say that adderall (or dexedrine) + alcohol is similar to cocaine + alcohol?
I normally get extremely sleepy the faster I drink, so to combat that and continue partying I've began to sip slower and do bumps of yay throughout the night. The hangovers suck but at least I get to party longer. I still almost always eventually pass out someplace however.

its most certainly not the same- i used to drink and do truxilense coca tea and it was great, okay hangover. but speed and alcohol= awful next day/couple of days. really unpleasant

You say the speed + alcohol hangover is worse than a cocaine + alcohol hangover?

its most certainly not the same- i used to drink and do truxilense coca tea and it was great, okay hangover. but speed and alcohol= awful next day/couple of days. really unpleasant

^This.

Amphetamines and alcohol also don't produce a new drug like mixing cocaine and alcohol does (cocaethylene).

The issue from this drug combination combination arises not so much from any specific 'neurotoxicity' concerns, but general health concerns such as cardio/hepatic/renal stress, etc. And obviously,the amphetamine allows for a greater alcohol consumption, and likely exposes you to larger doses of both drugs.

To put it simply, the combination of amphetamine and EtOH is not particularly 'neurotoxic' (in the Bluelight sense of the word). In practice, this means very little however.

You say the speed + alcohol hangover is worse than a cocaine + alcohol hangover?

yes infinitely worse- one of the worst hangovers i have ever felt was speed and alcohol, whereas coca tea and alcohol is really no worse than a normal alcohol hangover as long as you dont drink twice as much as you usually would.

with amphetamine you inevitably consume vast amounts of alcohol as you cannot sleep for a way longer time than with moderate amounts of cocaine.

also for me personally cocaine has a mild hangover compared to speed with its dysphoric rank comedown lasting days, but each to their own

As long as you keep the doses moderate I don't think its a big deal. Sometimes when out drinking i'll pop 5-10mg of dexedrine IR for a little pick-me-up. But then again EtOH is def not my favorite...It just makes me tired/feeling shitty without a whole lot of the desired anxiolysis. In my experience insomnia is not an issue as long as the dose is kept lowish and you only dose once towards the beginning of the night.

Drinking a bottle of vodka and doing 100mg of dexedrine is an entirely different story, however.

I actually get much worse hangovers from cocaine + EtOH than d-amph + EtOH.

It would probably reduce the neurotoxicity of adderall. The hangover is not a reliable indication of the amount of damage you received. Clearly if you combine two drugs which produce negative after-effects you will have worse after-effects than either alone.

As long as you keep the doses moderate I don't think its a big deal. Sometimes when out drinking i'll pop 5-10mg of dexedrine IR for a little pick-me-up. But then again EtOH is def not my favorite...It just makes me tired/feeling shitty without a whole lot of the desired anxiolysis. In my experience insomnia is not an issue as long as the dose is kept lowish and you only dose once towards the beginning of the night.

Drinking a bottle of vodka and doing 100mg of dexedrine is an entirely different story, however.

I actually get much worse hangovers from cocaine + EtOH than d-amph + EtOH.

probably to do with the fact that some people respond differently to reuptake inhibitors versus releasers, and the amount of drink and drug consumed.

i have only ever had access to ilicit speed and as such have often had a fat line of base before a night out and paid for it harshly the next day. i do however love alcohol and for me the cocaine and alcohol combo is wayyy more euphoric

also 10mg of amphetamine sounds like a disappointing insult to me, you need a decent hit to get any real satisfaction from amphetamine

Last edited:
often had a fat line of base before a night out

What do you mean? You insufflate freebase?!

also 10mg of amphetamine sounds like a disappointing insult to me, you need a decent hit to get any real satisfaction from amphetamine

I don't use it to get a euphoric tweaky high, I use it (and occasionally coke) as a pick-me-up, to keep me awake and sociable when out drinking late. I'm not a fan of high dose psychostims. Any euphoria is greatly outweighed by the accompanied anxiety. D-methamphetamine would probably be less anxiogenic due to greater proportional 5-HT release compared to d-amphetamine, but I wouldn't touch that stuff with a 10 ft stick even if I knew where to get it.

'Base' is slang for impure street amphetamine salts, amphetamine freebase is a nasty corrosive liquid.

i enjoy adderall and ethanol. i don't experience bad hangovers.

i tend to drink water thoroughly, eat healthy, and not over do it. what a concept.

nearly anyone will get a hangover if you slam a bottle of tequila. drink less?