Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Radula Marginata + Macropiper Excelsum - New Experience - The perfect high

giantsquid

Bluelighter
A friend stopped by and dropped off some (I thought it was 15 grams but have weighed it and it was only just under 5 grams) Radula marginata and about 30 grams of Macropiper Excelsum (kawakawa, also known as Maori kava).

I had read on the internet that Radula marginata has a naturally occurring cannabinoid in it and was eager to try it.

If you do not know anything about kawakawa, it contains similar alkaloids to nutmeg. It is related to kava kava as well.

I chop the kawa kawa up and mix it with the radula. I place the mixture into some rolling papers and roll it up like a joint. I light this joint and inhale the smoke. The taste is somewhat harsh but the kawakawa has a very aromatic taste to it. Very hard to pinpoint the taste but it is an exotic aroma, sort of like an incense.

I only smoke half the joint

I feel a tingling sensation and a stoned feeling creep over me. It feels great, I decide to go and watch some TV.

I decide to go smoke the other half of the joint to kick things in a bit better. It definitely kicked things in a lot better. I am off my chops at this stage.

The stoned confusion is setting in. I am watching TV but it is not making any sense. I cannot tell if what I am watching is an advertisement or a TV show or even a movie. What I think are adverts are actually shows. This is pissing off my partner as she keeps telling me to stop asking her if its a show or an ad.

The high has tapered off now and I decide to go to bed. I have no trouble sleeping and fall asleep quickly. I wake up in the morning very thirsty but apart from that there is no hangover.

Conclusion
This was a good combo that I will definitely do again some time. It can lead to confusion but they shouldn't have TV shows that look like ads :);)

Tagged by HeadphonesandLSD
substancecode_piperexcelsum
substancecode_ethnobotanicals
substancecode_radulamarginata
substancecode_ethnobotanicals
_combo_
explevel_firsttime
exptype_positive
roacode_smoked
roacode_inhaled

Last edited by a moderator:
Wikipedia says this:

Perrottetinene is a naturally occurring cannabinoid compound found in the New Zealand liverwort plant Radula marginata and other species from the Radula genus, along with a number of similar compounds. Its chemical structure closely resembles that of THC, the main active component of marijuana, and it is thought that perrottetinene may also be an active cannabinoid agonist although detailed pharmacological investigation of the compound has yet to be reported

so it is like THC but not THC

Cool. The compound in question is perrottetinenic acid. The only place the plant is available that I found currently sells it at an extremely inflated price. I suspect with Spice and alikes being made illegal it's only a matter of time before the plant and the pure acid are available.

The stuff I received from a friend was picked by him. He found a little bit of it growing when he was hiking in the hills. I do not think it is a very common plant and have yet to find it being sold online.

I've only seen 1 place selling it online for a ridiculous price, other than for novelty purpouses I cant see y anyone would buy it for that price. And it's not a botanicals supplier either, they specialize in ughh.. piperazines of all things. Funny thing tho, they also sell the kawakawa u mentioned, must b a NZ thing. Have u smoked it by itself(w/o the kawa)? I really wanna know how it is on its own, how does it taste, how does it compare to traditional cannibinoids etc.. are u planning on doing a hash oil type extraction w/alcohol or solvent

I've only seen 1 place selling it online for a ridiculous price, other than for novelty purpouses I cant see y anyone would buy it for that price. And it's not a botanicals supplier either, they specialize in ughh.. piperazines of all things. Funny thing tho, they also sell the kawakawa u mentioned, must b a NZ thing. Have u smoked it by itself(w/o the kawa)? I really wanna know how it is on its own, how does it taste, how does it compare to traditional cannibinoids etc.. are u planning on doing a hash oil type extraction w/alcohol or solvent

I have made an extract of the kawa kawa with isopropyl and it makes a green oil that is very aromatic. I have not done one with the radula as I dont have that much and I am not sure if I will be getting more soon. My mate who got it for me found it deep in the bush and I am not sure how easy it is to find elsewhere.

I just saw that site you talked about, yes the prices are pretty steep. I also have some pukatea my mate gave me and did a trip report a while back mixing the pukatea with the kawa kawa.

There is one New Zealand herb that is supposed to be very intoxicating but I lost my book that mentioned it. It was a book with edible plants in New Zealand and it warned against one native plant that was intoxicating. That is the plant I want to get next.

Any chance of putting up a pic of the radula? I'd like to compare it with the one pic I have found.

I will try and post a picture of what I have left tomorrow. I need to find my camera first.

The only pictures I have seen on the net are drawings and this stuff does not look much like the drawings. It may be because it is has been crushed up.

Here:
368288264-Radula_marginata_020224_Wairua_Falls_Matamata.jpg

What I don't get is in the Shroomery thread where that picture comes from the poster's say the quantity of psychoactives is "minor," and therefore it's impractical to harvest (if you can find it and successfully grow it in the first place that is), yet we have this report of it being part of a good cannabis-like high.

and there's nothing that can explain a positive effect from a poorly conducted bioassay...

I'm fairly willing to bet that there's absolutely no radula marginata in the posters sample as well. It seems to be one of the lichens that grow extremely slowly, and given the difficulty in growing them, the supplier would have to be raiding the natural world to supply any of the stuff.

If the supplier is reading this and can prove that they're offering the real thing, please contact me, I just doubt that such proof will be had.

Well, it's been four years and I haven't seen any proof, but I wouldn't be so dismissive now. I've since learned that the liverwort- it's not a lichen- is actually quite common in NZ. While it's quite possible that it wasn't R. marginata, it could well have been one of the related species that produce the same compounds (well, the acid, perrottetinene seems to be exclusive to marginata, though that's almost sure to be disproved, perhaps already has).

Is disproven a word or is it disproved? My autocorrect doesn't like disproven, but it doesn't like autocorrect either..

Hey any updates on this? Can I buy R. marginata in NZ or just have to go out into the bush looking for it?

Disproven is correct past tense for the verb 'to disprove'. His autocorrect doesn't like it either. Then again it doesn't like 'autocorrect' either too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have made an extract of the kawa kawa with isopropyl and it makes a green oil that is very aromatic. I have not done one with the radula as I dont have that much and I am not sure if I will be getting more soon. My mate who got it for me found it deep in the bush and I am not sure how easy it is to find elsewhere.

I just saw that site you talked about, yes the prices are pretty steep. I also have some pukatea my mate gave me and did a trip report a while back mixing the pukatea with the kawa kawa.

There is one New Zealand herb that is supposed to be very intoxicating but I lost my book that mentioned it. It was a book with edible plants in New Zealand and it warned against one native plant that was intoxicating. That is the plant I want to get next.
old ass post but did you ever find out what plant that was?