• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

losing my hand to demerol

swmo

Bluelighter
I posted my experience & some pics quite some time ago. I'm finally on Subs free through the patient care program. I also am prescribed 8 50mg trams a day by the same doc who is cool as hell. He even prescribed me Marinol which cost over $700 / month, so I didn't get that filled. Told the doc about the price and that I'd stick with the natural form. He's ok with it. Life's become more bearable since I last posted. Thanks to all for the support I received through those tough early days when I could get no relief.

I was JUST thinking about you yesterday and hoping you would one day come back and update us!
I'm glad to hear you are doing better <3

And yeah, my hubby is prescribed Marinol and it is outrageously expensive.....
Anyway- Glad you are back! :)

Glad to hear your doing well. Seriously dude, I still remember those pictures.

Hey i remember you right enough. I am very glad to hear that you are doing good and much better then you where doing. I assume you where probably scripted marinol for pain or nausea i guess right? The natural stuff is quite good for either anyway especially indica strains.

Peace man

I thought this looked familiar...

excellent to hear things are going well man.

those marinol scripts can be pretty helpful if needed, i have a prescription also, but get partial fills occasionally. it is outrageous, the only way my insurance would cover it is if i were to be receiving chemo.
ive developed some fugly chronic nausea, and it doesnt even begin to help untill around 20mgs, i cant imagine relying on that stuff, especially receiving chemotherapy...

anyhow, keep on keeping on.

Edit: an example of why the marinol script...?
i was anesthetized recently, the anesthesiologist pushes in the versed, then started the fentanyl, at this point all bets are off, his question irrelevant and too little too late.... i guess he thought i would start a tell all as he interrupted me asking what he was giving me, (i have awful paradoxical reactions to some meds)
he then asks if im on any other street drugs besides Marinol? i reply that i didn't know marinol was a street drug, and no.
i then rolled on my side and and asked the nurse to please write down what he is giving me and give the list to my wife, she said yes sympathetically.
he then as she was responding attaches the milky white propofol to the catheter and asks, okay everyone ready.... night night, hello twilight.
then i calculated michal jackson flying around the room giggling, crazy shit man, crazy shit.
;)

so, even being receiving an endoscopy for nausea, and horrendous constant chronic motherfukn rib pain,,, i get queried and judged for having this script, and to drug me and then ask, not out of concern of any interactions, i would of received a UA before hand, or been asked out of concern by my GI(who called in sick for the procedure).

so yeah, i guess depending on where you live etc. will get you do discriminated upon, or receive poor care.

they have tried to give me Haldol as a sedative before, after being told i have bad reactions with antipsychotics, and ive made it through neuroleptic-malignant-syndrome three times already... i would of jumped off that bed and probably gone straight for that guy as soon as i tasted it in my mouth. idk day from night on those drugs, if your familiar with NMS.

Last edited:
I thought this looked familiar...

excellent to hear things are going well man.

those marinol scripts can be pretty helpful if needed, i have a prescription also, but get partial fills occasionally. it is outrageous, the only way my insurance would cover it is if i were to be receiving chemo.
ive developed some fugly chronic nausea, and it doesnt even begin to help untill around 20mgs, i cant imagine relying on that stuff, especially receiving chemotherapy...

anyhow, keep on keeping on.

You know whats really fucked up? Government insurance here covers the cost of marinol for anything but no doctor will prescribe it for me :X . You know the reasons i get? Oh you have bipolar disorder and marinol is usually only given to cancer patients. That and my stupid former doctor told me im not giving you any marinol so you can get high off it. He then procedded to write me a script for 4mg dilaudids. Yeah right i won't get high off them doc now will i? 8)

So yeah im forced to stick with the natural stuff as well to help my neuropathic pain.

lmao, wow marinol is like, nothing...

a shot of 4 mg dilauded would have me giddy as a school girl! for maybe 15 minutes, then it wouldn't be doing its job after that as an analgesic.
i hate going to the er and being given that stuff, and lied to about how any intravenous drug would last just as long.
bullshit bullshit bullshit, you are lying to my face! why not, a longer acting pill so when the shit dilauded stops working,,, the "pill" will be, or will be soon.

I remmeber them pics! Glad you are doing better now at least. What is like being without a hand though?

I am so happy that you have a caring and compassionate doctor.

I remember reading your story, and thank you for sharing it with us.

if you dont feel comfortable talking about it, thats totally understandable.
but, how long did it take to start becomeing accustomed to, did you have phantom pains? is that why the doc suggested marinol?

ive heard mmj is very affective with phantom pain...

I have found Cannabis to be excellent for neuropathic pain. I have trigeminal neuralgia and weed or hash usually helps the pain alot. Too bad i have to buy it off the street :p . I can never understand doctors aversion to cannabis it simply boggles my mind. If i was a doctor i would much rather prescribe a patient weed if it helped their pain then dilaudid or any other opiate. We all know just how fucked a dilaudid addiction can get. I am actually sort of glad to be off the stuff and just taking morphine SR with morphine IR's now.

oh wow, i've wondered how you were doing prob 100s of times over the past few months. i'm so glad to see you here again and that things are better now :)
-izzy

my marinol script

I told my doc that I smoked pot to increase my appetite. It was the last & only illegal substance I was taking by that time. I have Hep C & I told him I have little to no appetite, so he wrote them for me, for appetite stimulation. He's an awesome doc and doesn't want to see me get in trouble is why he wrote it. I was already getting clonazepam, temazepam, & hydroxyzine from a mental health clinic. They prescribed Neurontin for those horrible, painful phantom pains. It worked! I don't even have phantom pains anymore but what's left of my hand always hurts. Between the Subs & the tramadol I'm prescribed @ my Sub doc's, it does take the edge off. Herb helps some, too. Oh yeah, Sub doc also wrote me Soma.
I remember most of your names on this thread from when I first started posting. I'm glad you're still here helping people.

bah, i just lay around waiting to go see doctors, in & out of pain, tending to my garden, when i can.

so nothing else to do, ;) i usually end up looking like an ass, but oh well.

gabapentin, interesting, makes sense.
its great to see some cheer under such pressure.
i hope you stick around.
:)

Your story stuck with me from the first post to the last. It left an impact and I have quit IVing drugs except once and that was recently. You left an impact on me that stayed.

So glad you are doing well and thank you so much for sharing so honestly your story. It was an important story to share. You helped at least one person.

thank you

I remember that thread too, so happy to hear you're doing OK. They must have been dark days indeed. It's nice that you've come back to let us know how you're doing. IMO that thread should have been a sticky somewhere, maybe ADD.