• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Herbal "Bedtime" Teas

Herbal~Jah

Ex-Bluelighter
What is your guys take on theses "Herbal Bedtime Tea" Blends offered by companies like 'Yogi' and 'Traditional Medicinals'? I love my yogi:bedtime tea and others before going to sleep

but I sometimes wonder if im really getting any noticeable effects from the teas and if they are really helping me get to sleep on some psychoactive level or whatever?...¿

I think the main point is that they don't contain caffeine. Hot liquid can make you feel more relaxed... then tired.

The yogi tea is some tasty good stuff. Definitely feels like it adds to the sleepy, though it's no cure for insomnia.

there are subtle ingredients that are psychoactive or act as a CNS depressant.
Valerien is very affective, a natures 'benzo', Natures Way is what we use after trial and errors. St Johns Wort is also popular, and the precursor for many anti depressants.
if you take an MAOx type drug, do some research first, the Valerien is pretty agreeable with anything, not the St Johns though....
i love yogi teas, the egyptian liquorice/orange(?) was my favorite.

The 'teas' (really they are tisanes, they don't contain camellia sinesis) do have some chemical action;
most contain plant material such as valerian, kava, chamomile, lemon balm, orange peel, rose hip, lemon grass, skullcap, etc
all of these herbs have VERY mild relaxation action, I'm hesitant to say sedation, I'm sure some of them do have GABA action. However, the amount of the active chemicals you are actually ingesting form one cup of bedtime tea is probably negligible. For instance, I've seen a bedtime tea listed as containing 75mg of Valerian.... well 75mg of valerian will do nothing... even though valerian does have mild relaxation properties.

that said, I use them / make my own. For me its way more of a psychological thing. Helping myself prepare to go to sleep. (I have bad insomnia, so sleep hygiene is very important)

Passion Flower I believe is one ingredient thats an MAOI (again probably not in the small doses found in herbal sleepy teas) but its one to watch for if you are taking medication sensitive to MAOIs

there is a herb i have used in previous times by the name of calea zacatechichi, you can either smoke it or brew it up as a tea,
its quite effective in the aid of sleeping and in the aid of enhancing the ability of dreaming, in all giving you a deeper and more refreshing sleep. perhaps consider it??

I'm pretty sure that some of the ingredients do have actual effects, although I've never really noticed any. I've also taken Valerian supplements on their own, which are much more concentrated, and they didn't seem to do anything.

I usually make a double strength chamomile tea with honey before bed because I find it soothing and it is a way of telling myself "okay, it's time to wind down and get ready to sleep". Doesn't always work though ;)

Yeah well I usually put 3 to 4 tea bags of herbal bedtime teas in one cup to make it a little bit stronger... Then sometimes ill eat a 5mg melatonin with it and some Valerian Root caps..... it seems to help a little bit to relax.... Yogi: Bedtime Tea is the best tasting bed time tea ever though... But I also use Traditional Medicinals: Nighty Night and Easy Now

Some of them have Chamomile in them which can relax you and make you sleepy. I looked on a box of Celestial seasonings Tension Tamer and it has catnip and eleuthero, hops, lemongrass, spearmint, and b6 and b12 in it.

I've had some Yogi brand teas but never the herbal bedtime tea. I've tried the Traditional Medicinals herbal bedtime tea and I remember drinking it and seeing how it has passionflower the MAOI in it and I wasn't sure if that would effect medications I was on or some stuff I'd eaten that you're apparently not supposed to eat while on an MAOI at all. I just had one cup of it.

Never had a bedtime Yogi tea - I like the rejuvenating and spicy ones.

I used to drink Dr Stuarts Valerian plus, but it's not strong enough for me anymore, so if I wanna go to sleep I usually drink something like Rooibos or Chamomile with 40 drop of Valerian tincture in it.

^^ Yep I love that tea!! I try to have a cup every night before bed. It really does relax me a lot, and really helps me to wind down for bedtime.

n00bs, get with the programme. I like to rock out with 2 bags of this and 1-2mg melatonin before konking. Hardcore insomniac :(

B000E65OQA.jpg

8) ;)

contradiction in terms for me as if i drink tea late in the evening then fall out it's up to piss . not conductive to a night's sleep for me .

n00bs, get with the programme. I like to rock out with 2 bags of this and 1-2mg melatonin before konking. Hardcore insomniac :(

B000E65OQA.jpg

8) ;)

Mate, that is my exact protocol at the moment!! Uncanny :)
Although last night I had 1 bag of tea and 3mg melatonin. But usually just 2mg.

I've developed a fondness for hot Korean Citron Tea. It's a sweet marmalade-like mix (contains sugar, so drink before brushing teeth). No significant pharmaceutical action, but very soothing.

Herbal Bedtime/Relation Teas

*Relaxation... I have usually use Yogi Bedtime and Traditional Medicinal bedtime like teas (chamomile, nighty night, etc)... Is there any other good teas out there that work good for sleeping/relaxing with? Like from personal experience, ive read the net and know a lot but im just wondering if anyone know of any other good teas that are good for sleep?

I find peppermint relaxing, though some say it is stimulating.
I love rooibus tea before bed.
But I hate Valerian, which always gives me nightmares!8o

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/entries/...oo-(Depending-on-time-of-year)-Papaver-Rhoeas.

:)

Hurry Up Summer! So i can harvest more of those Petals... Lol. Im going to get soooo many this year round, but its strange because i find it feels different when i drink it if i haven't drunk it in ages, it actually picked my mood up a bit after a bad bad comedown i had that lasted 6 days, nothing was shifting it. Then that did. Shame im all out of the teabags atm!

(This is the NON-Opium Poppy, Papavaer Rhoeas. The main alkaloid wanted from this plant is Rhoeadine, which helps us to relax and fall asleep)