took friend to hospital...got a charge

radric davis

Bluelighter
Ok so my friend overdosed and me and a few other people drove him to the hospital. Immediatly some cops basically got all over us and started asking questions. We all stuck to this BS story that they later figured out was false. After this they took us to the police station and split us up. I refused to give a written statement or say anything about the night and wasn't recorded saying anyhting incriminating. The other person however claimed he picked us up on my street (totally false). This morning i got a text saying to contact the investigator in refernce to a warrant for my arrest. I called and he said they are wating on the DA to approve charges for obstructing justice. Without being read my rights, lying on recording, submitting a false report, do you guys think i should be worried? obviously i made alot of mistakes and i will be getting a lawyer if charged i just wanted to see what bluelight thought. I really appreciate anyone who read all this and can give me some insight.

Get a lawyer and talk to him about this ASAP (and no one else)

I think he is trying to scare you get a consultation with a lawyer. Meanwhile dont talk to the detective if they had anything you would have been arrrested.

Did they give you any details re: the charge? "Obstructing justice" could have something to do with the bogus story you gave them before being taken into custody.

Obviously you did the right thing by keeping your mouth shut once you were hauled in, but a part of me thinks you should have avoided answering any and all questions regarding the incident. You know the minute they start, they're trying to build a case against you. They don't have to get it on tape to testify as evidence.

With a police testimony and your friend running his mouth, you could be a in a bit of trouble. Hard to say.

It really depends on what the story was you gave and how it could have incriminated you vs the story your friend gave and the police are using.

You need to find out what was said and then look at how the two storys are mismatched, get legal help.

Sounds like they are just trying to intimidate you, they would have arrested you already if they . And what could they have done ahad any reason tonyways? Your friend OD'ed, so you took him to a hospital.......I don't even see why they showed up at the hospital, I thought the HIPAA laws protected you from this stuff anyways.......I don't think OD'ing is cause for being arrested either, being high is not against the law........but idk I'm not too versed in this kinda stuff.

Unless I'm mistaken, your recount of the incident goes from taking a friend to the hospital to being detained by the police. How did the police become involved to begin with?

They can bring you into custody whether or not the DA approves. People get brought in by cops all the time just to be let go hours later when the DA looks at the case, and decides it's not strong enough. If you want my honest opinion, that detective is just lying to get you to say something to him. They can do that, you know?

Surely they're trying to intimidate you to incriminate yourself. Otherwise, moral of the story: Let friend die from OD because you might be implicated if you get them help. Absolute fail.

I think your goin to be ok. If this SOMEHOW gets taken to court any reasonable judge would look at it as you saved your friends life and thats all counts. All this is goin to do is discourage people to bring their ODing friends to a hospital.

That sucks that you can't help someone out without getting a charge. What kind of country do we live in... wait I just answered myself.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

Ok so my friend overdosed and me and a few other people drove him to the hospital. Immediatly some cops basically got all over us and started asking questions. We all stuck to this BS story that they later figured out was false. After this they took us to the police station and split us up. I refused to give a written statement or say anything about the night and wasn't recorded saying anyhting incriminating. The other person however claimed he picked us up on my street (totally false). This morning i got a text saying to contact the investigator in refernce to a warrant for my arrest. I called and he said they are wating on the DA to approve charges for obstructing justice. Without being read my rights, lying on recording, submitting a false report, do you guys think i should be worried? obviously i made alot of mistakes and i will be getting a lawyer if charged i just wanted to see what bluelight thought. I really appreciate anyone who read all this and can give me some insight.

For sure dude, atleast call an attorney and see what he says!

**Disqualifier: the post below may contain some stereotypes (although they are all often too true) so bear with me - don't take this too literally**

Luckily, the difference between most LEOs and most justices officials (judges, magistrates etc) is that the justice officials are infinitely smarter and better educated than the LEOs. The cop who talked to you at the hospital is either simply running stupid scenarios through his head where his is glorified because of some major bust you lead him too or just thinking to himself "we done tagged us some junkies, let's haul their asses through the system".

The good thing is, the judge/magistrate is (usually) thinking about the bigger picture such as "how will putting this young person in jail solve anything when there's a million others already there?" and in particular, "if I put someone in jail for helping their sick friend, am I threatening the lives of others by discouraging them to do the same thing?".

The problem is, you are not a qualified or acceptable conduit between the dumb cop and the savvy justice official. You see, they speak a different language. You need someone to act as an interpreter (or go-between) and that person is a Lawyer.

From what you've said, it's highly likely you'll get off scott free but only if you talk to, and retain a Lawyer, before you talk to the police again.

Surely they're trying to intimidate you to incriminate yourself. Otherwise, moral of the story: Let friend die from OD because you might be implicated if you get them help. Absolute fail.

If you get a lawyer, clue him into this moral.

This stuff infuriates me!!!!

How many people must die because people are AFRAID to bring medical help to a person or bring that person to medical help to possibly save their life?

What kind of cruel and malicious 'justice' system is this?

People should automatically be immune to charges/prosecution related to these circumstances in the process of trying to save some one's life!

I am sorry for this rant, but I simply had to vent.

Chris