• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

'Born Illegal' -- Exploring the Powerful Advanced Psychedelics Invented by the Father

i rolled at a widespread panic, allman brothers concert. what a fucking amazing show. i also saw some guy getting busted for dealing right outside the gates to the concert. maybe it was the same guy :p ;)

Ive gotta agree with Some Kinda Love. Its tragic, but he did "end up on the wrong side of a statistic" and its a statistic nonetheless.

The cops were trying to make a quota and bust ecstacy dealers at a concert. Now, if you were an undercover cop who didnt know much about the drug scene, found a kid who ended up telling you he could sell you a drug that will make you trip...regardless of the situation you would slap the cuffs on him and write up the report. He got fucked, yes, but he took the risk. And if he had a lawyer that cost more than 4k he may have been able to weasel out of the charges. Not saying its right, just how it works.

the instant you get a sketchy feeling about someone, flip the switch in your head that says "i have drugs on me" OFF. and go on cruise control.

I followed the link and found the rest of the article quite interesting, and then it got a whole lot more interesting when I saw this:

2C-B is the active ingredient of a semi-synthetic “herbal” compound called “Ubulawu Nomathotholo (an African plant)

So what is this? How come I've never seen it referred to in "botanicals" discussions? Did I just miss it?
:)

Sounds like some bullshit to me.

Or maybe someone is marketing some alleged "herbs" laced with 2C-B.

But that seems unlikely given that it is illegal in most jurisdictions.

^i looked that up
early-mid 90's brand of 2CB sold in South Africa.
i dont think it was herbs laced with 2CB, you can find stuff on erowid and whatnot aboot it.

Right, we just let instances like this just pass us by without making any noise at all.

I suppose anytime someones rights and liberties are messed with we could chalk it up to be a statistic as well. Then they are all statistics

What I'm trying to say is that someone has to care about this kind of stuff outside of the parties directly involved, or else you do end up running the risk of letting everything turn into a statistic without meaning.
Thats my 2 cents.

How things like this aren't emtrapment I'll never understand.

The popular notion of "entrapment" is broader than the legal definition, unfortunately, which has been whittled away by precedent over the years. In the U.S., if a defendent is judged to have had a "predisposition" to commit a crime, then no entrapment occurs even if the government facilitates it.

This guy needs a retrial with a better lawyer. No way he could get a felony for a pill of uncontrolled substance.

This story is making up or leaving some things out.

Even if he was persecuted on a federal level and prosecuters went after him, they would have to prove that 2c-i falls under the analogue act. There have been cases of the analogue act being non-applicable.

The analogue act is a major grey area open to intrepetation on a number of levels.

Don't think persecution would waste their time with it for one pill.

This guy needs a retrial with a better lawyer. No way he could get a felony for a pill of uncontrolled substance.

This story is making up or leaving some things out.

Even if he was persecuted on a federal level and prosecuters went after him, they would have to prove that 2c-i falls under the analogue act. There have been cases of the analogue act being non-applicable.

^ Read the article,closer. (Although I agree it is making up or leaving some things out)

This is not an analogue case. This is a counterfeit CDS case, which is a felony, and its actually a good thing for the market that its a felony or else people could get away with selling all sorts of bunk and shit would be a total disaster. But I digress. The charge hinges on the fact that the stuff is alleged to have been "sold as" MDMA, which is very different from Mr. Reed's account of events, but sadly it is his word against the cop's, and we all know how well that tends to turn out :(

One of the things that annoyed me about the article was that it tried to say more or less that he didn't break the law and therefore should not be punished, or tried to make it out that because it was 2C-I or a psychedelic or an "interesting" drug that he was somehow better than the 10s of 1,000s fo people who get locked up for slinging drugs every year (and while we're at it 2C-I isnt really particularly powerful or advanced lol), but bottom line there's just no way that handing someone a capsule of mind altering drugs at a music festival isn't inviting the trouble, legally speaking.

^^^

Okay, I suppose that is another route for persecution to take. That is selling a counterfit illegal substance. I am not really aware of what the law is on this subject.

So, if I sold you a pill of tylenol as (insert illegal chem here) what exactly would be the charge?

I could see the police dismissing the case as you were not selling anything illegal or punishing you for conning (stealing) money from people.

No, you could be charged for selling counterfeit CDS if you sold someone a tylenol as E, oregano as weed, crushed up plaster as crack, whatever. That's the point of the law. Most jurisdictions have one. Often it is a lesser charge than slinging what was intended but sometimes it can be pretty hefty too.

I side on the perspective of the writer that someone who is seemingly "productive" and hasn't done much else wrong should get away with a slap on their wrist. It's not so much about playing victim for a legal violation but rather whether the punishment fits the crime. "The law is the law" is not the reality of justice system and far more dangerous acts than his are allowed a pass (drinking and driving for example) whereas this guy allegedly only sold a pill and he's busted and given a felony sentence. Whether this guy's story is true or not, the reality is that it does happen and it usually happens when there's a poor defense and the guy has talked too much. There's a bit in the article where it says he was quiet but it doesn't look like it. With a cop, the best thing to do is to not say anything at all.

I'll go out on a limb and say there is a difference between someone who is a "productive" member of society vs. a career drug dealer doing this. It's hard to say what that is in any real objective sense but society does view these things differently and this article is written for everyone's consumption. In terms of the court also, I've seen it argued that "so and so is an upstanding member of the community and therefore his sentence should be reduced" and I've yet to see such an argument fail. Plus the GPA and stuff goes against society's notion of a drug user/deal who usually is associated with poor grades, etc. (we know that's not true but that's how the world views drug users not realising the number of events that would be half full if alcohol weren't being served freely).

So I don't see it as elitist but hey, I'm an academic in the Ivory Tower. Like it or not though, it's cases like these coming to light that're more likely to convince the average person in society to view things differently about mind altering substances, rather than homeless people or small career drug dealers getting busted for the same reason. I'm an idealist and I don't think this is right and I work hard to make sure everyone is treated equally, but I think it's okay to sell it to society with a particular angle in mind.

Last edited:
Pigs

Sounds like entrapment to me? I mean, absolutely begging/nagging someone to sell you something seems fishy. But, maybe I'm just a bit rocky on what entrapment really is then. It's not like the kid went around saying "I got this bro, trips you out, want to buy?"- He was approached, hassled, and finally let it go to shut him up.. Fucked up shit.

it does sound like entrapment hardcore , I wonder how many cops are on this site right now??? hmm

:! No, he is the victim of his choice to break the laws, and of a very small statistical chance that he would get popped doing so at a festival. You can't always dance underwater and not get wet. His situation is tragic, for sure, and my heart goes out to him, but a victim he is most definitely not.

By the law the charge was bullshit, as he explained the substance was not MDMA and was not selling it as MDMA.

1. It is not 'entrapment.' Do some research as to what 'entrapment' really is, in the relevant jurisdiction. Now, under what entrapment should be, sure, this is entrapment, but entrapment is not what it should be, it is what it is, at least in a court of law.

2. Selling a capsule of a psychoactive drug to a stranger is inviting the trouble. No two ways about it. In a perfect world, it wouldn't be, but that doesn't mean that this article should be trying to make this drug dealer into a boy scout.

Rosa Parks did something illegal too, and it worked.

This is a laughable and offensive comparison. This isn't some grand act of civil disobedience, this is slinging trip at a festival, and having to pay the piper at the end of the day.