• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Snorting OC & LUNG ISSUES

jaystyle

Bluelighter
Hey all,

I've been snorting OC on and off for awhile now. I have a phone job, and recently I was talking on the phone and realized I was running out of breath or something... I figured I was just talking to fast or something and overworked.

Recently, I ran out of OC80s and instead had to get the roxy 15's--- when I snort these, no matter how carefull I am, I always get a lung full of that substance and it irritates me and makes me cough. When I cough, I literally see a cloud of pill dust come out. Those Roxys are HORIBLE to snort if you have a real habit.... the pill crushes so finely it all flies in your lung. they should just be eaten I realize.

Anyway.... today I walked up the hill to my car and ran out of breath, and than later on in the day I found that i was seeming to "LACK OXYGEN" in situations when I normalyl wouldn't... I have to breathe harder today, and its REALLY SCARY.

I am really scared allt he pollutants caused lung cancer or a pulmonary embolism or something crazy... I think that more likely, its just excessive adulterants being inhaled and I hope it will clear up in a few days. Im gonna stop snorting and start eating them again... I really want to avoid the doctor so I'm hoping it will clear up in a week of no snorting or so.

I hate health issues... ughh.. this sucks (and the anxiety of it all only exasperates my shortness of breath symptoms).

Has anyone ever had lung symptoms of excessive snorting? Anyone know anything about the effects of chronic pill snorting? I am very interested to hear what anyone knows or experienced with this. I am feeling a little better right now but I am scared I will feel it again-- i'm supposed to fly to SD and have a great weekend for my bros birthday and dont want to be paranoid about this and having to go to the doctor or something :(

wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulmonary_talcosis

This is why you shouldn't IV or snort pills. When you do it over a period of time the talc and other pill additives build up in your lungs, eventually causing emphysema-like illness. Unfortunately there's just about nothing you can do to reverse it.

IMO, stop snorting now and work on easing the load on your cardiovascular system to try and compensate for decreased efficiency of your lungs.

This is relevant to thousands of users I believe. It is intriguing and I'd like to hear more information in regards to the dangers of snorting. For instance, lets say one would snort said 30mg roxy, only one, per day, every day, for 5 years. Will this have a negative effect on the body, and to what extent. Could this be fatal? Could this be reversible?

Any advanced users of strictly insufflation methods, comprising of upwards of 4 years of relatively moderate use but continual use, your input is greatly appreciated

I read that pulmonary talcosis is generally from years of chronic IV use, not so much insufflation--- although I feel like insufflation could be possible as well. I stopped snorting and am eating now, and hopefully will just quit soon all together anyway...

I hope I havn't done anything irreversible I am only 25! =( Scared...... I'm hoping too much snorting just caused an upper respiratory inflammation of some sort. I think those roxies are the worst--- they really go deep int he lung.

I read that pulmonary talcosis is generally from years of chronic IV use, not so much insufflation--- although I feel like insufflation could be possible as well. I stopped snorting and am eating now, and hopefully will just quit soon all together anyway...

I hope I havn't done anything irreversible I am only 25! =( Scared...... I'm hoping too much snorting just caused an upper respiratory inflammation of some sort. I think those roxies are the worst--- they really go deep int he lung.

Nobody can diagnose you online, but talcosis and pneumoconiosis from inhaling talc (or other minerals) is well documented. It's simply more common in mine workers and others as an occupational hazard.

Your best bet health-wise is to stop snorting them, and see a doctor for diagnosis. There's no doubt that you're getting some minerals into your lungs, but it's possible that your current symptoms are from inflammation or some other cause.

If you're open with your doctor about your concerns, he can order imaging and other tests to assess any potential damage and look at treatment options.

Ughhh can someone please help me? I don't know where to turn. I am only 25 and terrified that I have some progressive lung disease that will make me gasp for breath forever. I know sniffing drugs was playing with fire, but it just doesn't make sense to me! So many people do it without getting a lung disease... a lot of them worse & longer then me.

Since January I have been snorting 1.5 - 2.5 OC80s a day--- before that, I was mostly eating them while snorting 20-30mg a day. Its a lot, but not THAT much... not enough to get Talcosis of the lung I dont imagine! just a couple weeks ago I was going some heavy exercise and felt fine--- these symptoms are just within the last week... i'm pretty sure it started when I got some of these roxies that got in lung real easy....

Do you guys think those roxies caused some kind of inflammatino? I was reading that one of the ingredients in them, magnesium stearate, causes a lung inflammation that makes it hard to get oxygen (pretty much my exact symptom).. I think that sounds more likely, don't you? I mean-- I snorted like 20-30 of those generics so I cant imagine getting a long-term lung illness from them.

If I did get something, is it possible that if I take care of myself the symptoms could get better? Or will it get worse and worse for the rest of my life? I've never heard of anyone getting this kind of thing from snorting OCs..... I wish I knew before I abused them so hard. I also smoked small amounts of them at times.

Thanks guys for your support & advice

PS. Earlier today I swore off OCS and took 3mg of suboxone this morning. It makes me so miserable I went and bought an OC just for the taste... also, it seems to make me feel just a tad better even though I dont get "high". I realized that using a hose-clamp might powder the OC just a little too much, and reverted back to cutting it with a razor blade than crushing with a credit card. It makes the powder fine, but a little more coarse than hose clamp. I am convinced a slow snort of a coarse powder will seriously prevent getting talc in my lung, but thats probably just addiction talking.

Last edited:
Ughhh can someone please help me? I don't know where to turn. I am only 25 and terrified that I have some progressive lung disease that will make me gasp for breath forever. I know sniffing drugs was playing with fire, but it just doesn't make sense to me! So many people do it without getting a lung disease... a lot of them worse & longer then me.

Since January I have been snorting 1.5 - 2.5 OC80s a day--- before that, I was mostly eating them while snorting 20-30mg a day. Its a lot, but not THAT much... not enough to get Talcosis of the lung I dont imagine! just a couple weeks ago I was going some heavy exercise and felt fine--- these symptoms are just within the last week... i'm pretty sure it started when I got some of these roxies that got in lung real easy....

Do you guys think those roxies caused some kind of inflammatino? I was reading that one of the ingredients in them, magnesium stearate, causes a lung inflammation that makes it hard to get oxygen (pretty much my exact symptom).. I think that sounds more likely, don't you? I mean-- I snorted like 20-30 of those generics so I cant imagine getting a long-term lung illness from them.

If I did get something, is it possible that if I take care of myself the symptoms could get better? Or will it get worse and worse for the rest of my life? I've never heard of anyone getting this kind of thing from snorting OCs..... I wish I knew before I abused them so hard. I also smoked small amounts of them at times.

Thanks guys for your support & advice

PS. Earlier today I swore off OCS and took 3mg of suboxone this morning. It makes me so miserable I went and bought an OC just for the taste... also, it seems to make me feel just a tad better even though I dont get "high". I realized that using a hose-clamp might powder the OC just a little too much, and reverted back to cutting it with a razor blade than crushing with a credit card. It makes the powder fine, but a little more coarse than hose clamp. I am convinced a slow snort of a coarse powder will seriously prevent getting talc in my lung, but thats probably just addiction talking.

Its ok man, try not to worry or get too freaked out! Its gonna be ok :)

Its not going to get any worse as long as you stop snorting them man. Switch back to an oral ROA. I know the rush is less, but oral bioavailability for oxycodone is nice and high so you're still get enjoyment out of it. I know that just a couple of pills doesnt seem like much, but 1.5 80s a day for 1 year means that you've inhaled 87,000mg of inactive ingredients. 87g worth. It does add up over time and its just not something you want to keep doing to your lungs. Like you said, you're a young guy so make these changes now and really improve your health now and in the future.

Its likely that if you stop snorting and keep your cardiovascular system in shape, you won't notice many symptoms. If you continue to have issues, I'd recommend seeing a doctor and getting some imaging done to see whats going on in your lungs.

Thanks... i'm hoping that maybe it's not the Talc and instead might be an inflammation from the generic's magnesium stuff, instead of some permanent chronic condition. Or maybe other irritants in it are causing an inflammation. I pray it is nothing permanent...

Don't a lot of people snort about as much as me? You'd think there would be more cases of this if snorting OC could do this to me.

uhmm 3 years recreationally...close enough?

i thought when you insufflate drugs, they get absorbed in your mucus membranes, and the remaining stuff goes down your throat into your stomach?

OP try exercising more, cant hurt, you know?
Running for like 10 minutes everyday is a good way to build your lung stength back up and get your heart on a healthier pace

I could be wrong about this, but aren't we already inhaling some insoluble dust or airborne particle or maybe some fiber or other insoluble food particle on a level of at least a few mg's a day, so is that really any different?

I was getting the same thing from Suboxone. I was snorting it the whole summer and found myself coughing a few days ago (I don't smoke), and looked it up. I had no idea the powder would get into the lungs. I thought that's what all the cilia and mucous in your nose/throat was supposed to prevent.

You can't think of throat and mucus cilia as a 100% air micron filter!! Sure, it catches some stuff but it generally catches things like dust an allergens, particles in the air so small that we can't see! We're talking about inhaling several hundred milligrams of particulates every day, which is definitely significant.

And also, check out how anatomy of the throat works. When you inhale, air (and whatever else you're inhaling) goes in through your nose and down through the trachea into your lungs. The stuff that does get caught by the mucus does eventually drain into the stomach, but not the stuff when you initially inhale.

You can't think of throat and mucus cilia as a 100% air micron filter!! Sure, it catches some stuff but it generally catches things like dust an allergens, particles in the air so small that we can't see! We're talking about inhaling several hundred milligrams of particulates every day, which is definitely significant.

And also, check out how anatomy of the throat works. When you inhale, air (and whatever else you're inhaling) goes in through your nose and down through the trachea into your lungs. The stuff that does get caught by the mucus does eventually drain into the stomach, but not the stuff when you initially inhale.

ahhh thanks for clearing that up for me

Ok... the symptoms seem to be subsiding slightly but I'm not 100% out of the woods.... Yesterday I took suboxone for the first time in awhile and that always puts me in a minor state of withdrawal and some of the frequent yawning I had may be attributed to that instead of a lack of oxygen--- also, anxiety too may have manifested some breathing problems. Regardless, sometimes still seems to be irritating my lungs--- although the withdrawal & anxiety exasperated it, but I dont feel 100% and if I dont feel better by Monday I will have to get my lungs x-rays (which is no fun). I am praying it will get better and I will be ok... Sadly, once u are physically addicted its hard to switch from snorting to eating again because u always want that quick high. ANyway, I put this together to help snorters avoid what may or may not be happening to me right now.. I think everyone should follow this advice and help take care of their lungs.

HOW TO MINIMIZE LUNG DAMAGE WITH SNORTING OC

1.) Dont use nasal decongenstants -- they open your nose passage so much that it loses its natural filtering abilities. I'd always cough from snorting from a totally decongested nose.

2.) If you have one clogged nostril and one open, consider doing a hard snort with the clogged one then snorting back so it gets the drip. Cloggged nostril = Great natural filter,a nd you will still get high and everything you just need a harder snort.

2.) Contrary to popular belief, do NOT make your OC into a fine powder! Hose clamps make the powder so fine it can easily be passed to the lungs... once I started using hose clamps, I started coughing after substantial lines. My technique is to cut a little piece off with a razor blade, then crush it with a cred card against a wood table mushing it back fourth left right until the big particles are broken up -- than, use a second hard to scrape off the remains on the first card and you'll have a line perfect for snorting that isnt fine enough for lung fucking.

3.) DONT SNORT ROXIES!!!! They are the devil. Their particles are so fine, after a big snort I'd literally take a cough and cough up a cloud of roxy dust. I am convinced this is one of the main reasons for my current lung issues. Eat them, or mix them with water and drip them into your nose if u want a rush and described in item #5.

4.) Use a saline nasal spray before you snort--- a wet nasal passage ensures proper filtering and OC dust sticking to the nose instead of flying through a dry nose to the lung.

5.) If you want a sure-fire way to protect your lungs, get an oral syringe and load up 1ml water per 40-60mg of oc. Squirt it in a spoon with mixed up OC and let it dissolve as much as possible-- stirring. Load it up back up the syringe, tilt you rhead back and slowly squirt some in each nostril. Dont swallow and just chill there while the water mixes with mucus and gets absorbed by your membrane. In the end, you will have a much safer and effective way of getting that nasal rush of oxy.

Comments or questions? Additional ideas?
Thats all I can think for now--- I think its important for people to know the dangers of chronrically snorting these drugs. The damage is irreversible and will ruin your quality of life and put you at risk for lung cancer and other nasty things.

Last edited:
I have for 3 years

about 3 years i usually snort them ,well when they took away the generic. I have thsma and worried about that now i hear about talcosis.I am an insulator so i am gonna die of my lungs sometime. I lie using a pipe clamp to "grate the pills but it makes it finer than using a pill crusher and sometimes I cough from the irratation. I am worried about my last 20 OC now the rest are OP and I am goig to have to deal with that pushing on the chest if I am late taking a pill or when my back hurts in the middle of the noght. I wish I never got on these. I able to sleep bwefore but noew unless i take an extra over prescrpt I wake up to that painful back, EVEN with memory foam bed. I still can walk the mile to work but dont run..i hope i didnt do the damage spoken of

I realized that using a hose-clamp might powder the OC just a little too much, and reverted back to cutting it with a razor blade than crushing with a credit card. It makes the powder fine, but a little more coarse than hose clamp. I am convinced a slow snort of a coarse powder will seriously prevent getting talc in my lung, but thats probably just addiction talking.

Yo idk man i tend to disagree with you... I feel that the finer the particles the easier / better chance they have to sticking to the inside of your nose. I think that the bigger heavier particles from the OC have more mass behind them so they have a better chance of being carried down into your lungs.. as with the fine powder, it just gets caught on the mucous and cilia in your nose / throat.(think about taking a handful of dust and trying to throw it as far as you can... then take a hand full of pebbles and do the same, which goes further?)

Again this is only my opinion and who knows what actually happens...

Also, i think by snorting slower is also worse. When you snort slow, it creates a smooth steady flow right down into your lungs, things open wide. But when you snort as HARD as you can, the high speed flow of the air actually causes canals to close and "cave in" because its creating a low pressure area. I also think that it causes the particles to bounce around and collide against the inside walls of your nasal cavity and the back of your throat.
(Also, consider the little experiment that every kid does in school, take two pieces of paper, hold them about an inch apart and blow very fast down the middle... The faster the airflow, the lower the pressure and the pieces of paper get tighter / closer together)

Its been in my opinion that when i've snorted slow i could always taste and feel it in the back of my throat... the harder i snorted, the less i could feel or taste... I'm POSITIVE in every experience ive had that snorting slow causes more of it to go down your throat / potentially lungs.

In my opinion the combination of snorting very hard and the smaller finer dust like particles cause most of it to get stuck right in the places you want it. i.e mucous membranes