• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Effexor; recreational effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silentstar16

Bluelighter
Is effexor a good drug to take recreationally? If yes how much should I take and what are the effects?

Definitely not. Effexor is an anti-depressant/SSRI medication, similar to Prozac or Zoloft. It will not provide any sort of recreational effect, and in my experience it's not a very good anti-depressant either. I was on it for several months, and when I quit it took me over 6 months to taper off, and I had some very annoying withdrawal symptoms still.

Also, if you're taking it, be careful mixing it with Alcohol, 5-HTP, or other SSRI meds.

i hated effexor^^ i believe its an SNRI not an SSRI... now i'm on escitalopram (SSRi) and its completely chaned my life... i do sport every day.. only problems, its make my insomnia even worse...

I think all the SNRIs SSRI etc cannot be taken recreationally because they take weeks to build up in your body. As far as I know only stim ADHD meds are able to be taken recreationally because their effect is immediate (well within minutes)

i hated effexor^^ i believe its an SNRI not an SSRI...

Yeah, you're right.. SNRI.. Thank you for the correction. And yes, I hated it so very, very much..

Although I'm not very much for any kind of SSRI/SNRI's these days.. I had much better luck with 5-HTP personally.. And sometimes I would add St. John's Wort..

Although.. Know what's worked for me, and has had the best anti-depressant properties I've ever experienced? Ibogaine... It's incredible. Flood doses, low doses.. It's amazing, and there are so many different ways to use it. And, since it has a cumulative effect, you can take it daily at sub-psychoactive doses, and over time it builds up, and it's natural SSRI effects are breathtakingly noticeable.

I've been on anti-depressants in the past and none of them seemed to do what they were intended to do with the exception of Effexor...an SNRI...so I was fond of it BUT it has no recreational effects, just like all SSRI/SNRI antidepressants.

SNRI's, SSRI's, and pretty much any other antidepressant has no recreational potiential whatsoever. when i was on prozac, it actually made my depression worse and gave me anxiety.

now amphetamines and benzos keep my problems at bay...

I read somewhere that effexor is nearly identical to tramadol in it's SNRI properties, I don't know how true it is, but I find Tramadols SNRI effects the Best part of it's recreational ability, it wakes me up, stimulates me, makes me productive and puts me in a good mood and ready to take on the world, This is why I enjoy Tramadol so much and this happens in the few hours I take the Tram not over a built up amount of time.

I read somewhere that effexor is nearly identical to tramadol in it's SNRI properties, I don't know how true it is, but I find Tramadols SNRI effects the Best part of it's recreational ability, it wakes me up, stimulates me, makes me productive and puts me in a good mood and ready to take on the world, This is why I enjoy Tramadol so much and this happens in the few hours I take the Tram not over a built up amount of time.

effexor is similar to tramadol, but it does not affect opioid receptors.

also, tramadol's SNRI effect is not the "best part", it's (weak)opioid effects are the "best part". and all the benefits you described from tramadol is actually consistant with opioid effects. tramadol's "antidepressant" effects actually limit it's abuse potiential.

wakes me up, stimulates me, and makes me productive, hmmmm tramadol is the ONLY one that does all this, codeine puts me in a good mood but makes me sleepy, oxycodone, makes me euphoric but I don't feel like doing A DAMN thing, Tramadol however within a half hour makes me jump up out of my seat and start working on projects I've put off all month, your telling me this is due to the WEAK mu receptor binding and not to the SNRI effects?

I just started Effexor (Venlafaxine). Been on it almost 3 weeks now. Only at 75mg/day. Its hard to tell right now if it is helping better than any previous antidepressants I have been on. (Paxil, Cipralex, Luvox). If this doesn't work, I think I will just switch back to Escitalopram (Cipralex). Although I can't remember if this was any good or not because I was always using drugs.

wakes me up, stimulates me, and makes me productive, hmmmm tramadol is the ONLY one that does all this, codeine puts me in a good mood but makes me sleepy, oxycodone, makes me euphoric but I don't feel like doing A DAMN thing, Tramadol however within a half hour makes me jump up out of my seat and start working on projects I've put off all month, your telling me this is due to the WEAK mu receptor binding and not to the SNRI effects?

No.

No.

Having read some posts in this forum by bpayne in the past it appears he has a opiate tolerance.
The effects he describes would not be from the mu-receptor effects of the metabolite of tramadol.
Especially with an opiate tolerance.
As bpayne stated the SNRI effects are a more likely source.
I would agree with his hypothesis.
Regardless this doesn't pertain to the OP's question that much but I digress.
Just wanted to help clear up the statements made, however, as in non naive individuals tramadol's mu activity is un-likely to be the source of the stimulation.

effexor gets me so fucked up.

the euphoria is the best! i love anti depressants for recreational use!!!!

duhhh...anti depressant= euphoria

obviously it gets u high.............

:) :) :) :)

complete joke (harm reduction)

I have to agree with bpayne and IndustrialStrength.

Tramadol also causes a sudden release of serotonin. This is what really gives tramadol it's special little kick. I've been using it for for years and if I run out, I use hydrocodone or oxycodone to help with tram wds. And although the hydro and oxy make me feel great...it just isn't the same as tramadol. They make me drowsy and even a little apathy. Tramadol on the other hand makes me empathetic, motivated, confident, talkative, happy and I'm talking bright sunshine happy.

Even morphine fails to deliver me the feeling that tramadol does.

Wait. This thread is about Effexor. We really shouldn't get off topic I guess. :p

For everyone talking about trying out different anti-depressants, and not having luck with them.. I highly, highly recommend looking into low doses of Ibogaine over an extended period of time. It's physiological effects are still not very well understood, but it definitely has SSRI effects, and the cumulative effects of noribogaine are, in my opinion, what make it so incredibly effective.

After my first flood dose of Ibogaine, I was still feeling it's effects two months later. And when that started to wean I began using booster and micro doses.

Even at sub-psychoactive doses you can tell that it's building up in you over time.

For everyone talking about trying out different anti-depressants, and not having luck with them.. I highly, highly recommend looking into low doses of Ibogaine over an extended period of time. It's physiological effects are still not very well understood, but it definitely has SSRI effects, and the cumulative effects of noribogaine are, in my opinion, what make it so incredibly effective.

After my first flood dose of Ibogaine, I was still feeling it's effects two months later. And when that started to wean I began using booster and micro doses.

Even at sub-psychoactive doses you can tell that it's building up in you over time.

How do you "dose" Ibogaine. Do you take it everyday or like every week? Don't know much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.