Bluelighter
Salvia by Neural_Shock

Before you read this document, read the following thoroughly:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/salvia/salvia_info3.shtml

http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=269

Also, have a look at trip reports at:

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Salvia.shtml
http://leda.lycaeum.org/?Table=Trips&Ref_ID=269

The purpose of this document is to supplement all of the above information. It is written specifically for the Bluelighter who still has questions about salvia. By
the way, Salvia means Salvia Divinorum unless otherwise specified. The information in the document is gathered from various Internet salvia groups, the above links,
other publications, and my own personal experiences. This document is not gospel, it's a guide. It should not replace the main FAQ in people's minds. Comments,
suggestions and additions are welcome!

Should I do salvia?
If you have read the main FAQ (and I mean thoroughly), read many good and bad reports, and read through this document... and you are still not sure, then don't do
it. It's that simple. This applies to any psychedelic, but especially to salvia.

Who should take salvia?
I can't tell you who should take it. No-one can. I can tell you who shouldn't (and this is not a complete list by any means):
  • Novices to psychedelics
  • Unstable individuals
  • Anyone with a medical condition
  • Pregnant women
  • Minors
  • Animals
Yes, some of these could be erring on the side of caution but that is going to be our theme for today.

Is it a good introduction to psychedelics?
No. Also, it's too different from anything else to be able to prepare yourself for the experience with other drugs. But at least if you have experiences with altered states, that's something. Smoking a moderate to high dose of salvia is out of the question for a newbie to tripping. Smoked salvia hits hard and quick. Even a veteran tripper with many different psychedelics can crash and burn with salvia. At low levels, it is okay to introduce it to a novice where it's psychedelic effects are less pronounced. Sublingual methods are better because they have a slower onset, but the trip lasts longer. Assuming you are an experienced tripper, and only you know if you qualify, try lower levels first. Slowly and carefully move up to where you want to be.

Why is salvia still legal?
It's not that salvia is specifically legal to get fucked up on (only alcohol and tobacco have that privilege). It's just that it isn't explicitly classified anywhere in the world to date. There are a number of reasons why salvia is still unclassified:
  • Its psychedelic properties were verified and studied only recently - in 1993 or so - even though it has been used safely for centuries by Maztecs.
  • It doesn't lend itself to recreational use. Of those who try it most are curious impatient types who end up disappointed - expecting pretty visuals and a fun
    time, but ending up with nothing due to bad technique and giving up early. For those who do get it to work, some are scared away, some find it useless for them and
    others love it enough to do it seasonally.
  • It doesn't seem to be addictive, and doesn't seem to have any serious medical implications if improperly used (which doesn't mean it's not possible).
  • It's short acting, so an overdose peak doesn't last the time it takes to get to a hospital. Users who overdose have always recovered with no health problems. So
    it isn't drawing attention that way.
  • The plant looks similar to certain other species in the same genus so it isn't all that easy to visually isolate a psychedelic plant.
  • The active drug is not chemically related to any other known psychoactives, and cannot be tested for cheaply.
  • Its general popularity isn't exploding and isn't very big anyway.
  • There is a well established history of spiritual and religious use. A similar situation exists with DPT. The authorities in the US know about DPT but don't seem to be clamping down on a well known DPT religious group. Salvia doesn't have such a group associated with it, but it is beginning to get popular with certain meditation communities.
Aside from that there is a possible respect of freedom here, and it should work both ways!

Irresponsible use will ruin this happy equilibrium by causing unwanted and unnecessary attention. Enough stupidity with salvia will cause it to be classified despite the points above. Please respect salvia!

Is Salvia fun?
For the most part, no. Sometimes salvia experiences can be fun, but they are more the exception than the rule. Salvia trips can have a pleasurable quality but that's it. It is not a recreational drug; although lower levels can yield some recreational aspects. Also, mixing salvia with other drugs can sometimes have recreational value. I discuss combinations below, but you need to familiarise yourself with salvia first. I'm not going to judge recreational use over pure psychedelic use, but be careful about thinking of salvia as fun. You're barking up the wrong tree if you want to simply get high as a kite. You will either be disappointed or end up shitting your pants with fear. Read the FAQ again, and read trip reports at Erowid. You really need to respect salvia as a serious psychedelic tool.

Is salvia related to cannabis?
No. This rumour comes from the fact that salvia is a diterpene, like THC (and thujone). But there are no pharmacological or psychoactive similarities.

I tried salvia and got no effects. What happened?
Firstly, salvia may not work for the first few attempts. This is not an indication that it will never work. This also happens with cannabis. Secondly, bad technique will always result in failed attempts. At the very best, you will get only mild effects. Check out the questions below on smoking and sublingual administration. Salvinorin A requires very simple but distinctive techniques for optimum intake. Lastly, you need to find your effective dosage, and eventually your desired dosage. This is covered in questions below.

I tried salvia, but I get only mild effects. What’s wrong?
See the answer just above for the points on bad technique and tolerance. Some tips and techniques are mentioned in this document. Do not fall into the trap that this is some joke or conspiracy, or that salvia is just a lame herb. Just around the corner awaits an earth-shattering experience, and it's up to you what you want
to do at this point.

I tried salvia, but I can't get used to it. I just don't like it. What am I doing wrong?
Salvia is not for everyone. The fact that you don't find it useful or interesting doesn't mean jack shit except the fact that everyone is different and you are perfectly within your rights to have these opinions. Forget salvia.

What is the best setting?
Everyone seems to agree that the best setting is a dark, quiet, comfortable, private area (outside or inside). A good example is lying on your bed in your own
bedroom in your own house with only a candle for light. The idea of the candle is to blow it out after you have taken your dose of salvia. Complete darkness is
good. Be careful with candles, by the way. Make sure you have a trip sitter nearby (yes - sitting in the dark, if necessary). This person should be experienced
with salvia, and prepared for possible problems. Music should be confined to ambient (i.e. unobtrusive). Complete silence is better. The strange thing about
salvia is that you can try a certain dose in a noisy and bright area and get absolutely nothing. Try the same dose in a dark, quiet area and you may find yourself
in a full visionary trip. Finally, make sure that there is nothing present you can accidentally hurt yourself with - don't keep your sword collection in the room
with you. Again, keep a trip sitter lurking nearby.

I'm a trip sitter. What can go wrong with salvia?
The biggest problem is overdosing. More specifically - the trip can get right on top of the person and it can be stronger than the person expected. At the peak,
the user may get up and walk around babbling nonsense. This does not necessarily indicate a bad trip. The user will likely not remember any of his/her activities
after the trip, and may recall completely different events. For example, the user can look like a frightened animal, but may recall a beautiful experience
afterwards. However, the user can accidentally hurt themselves. Basically, treat the person as you would a sleepwalker. Don't bother trying to snap them out of
the trip, just keep them sitting down.

Related to this issue, the next biggest problem is a bad trip. This will normally occur at the visionary level or higher. There is nothing you can do for the
person except sit them down and reassure them that it will not last. They may not understand you fully, but a trusting presence can be perceived somewhat and that's
a good thing. Unless the user has taken a really big amount for him/her, the peak will only last for 5 minutes (smoked) or 15 minutes (sublingual). Worst case
scenario: the peak of the salvia trip will last 20 minutes when smoked, and 60 minutes absolute maximum when taken sublingually - and I'm talking about a extremely
unusual heavy level 5/6 trip. There have been no reports of death due to an overdose, but that does not mean that secondary fatal conditions cannot occur (such as
stumbling out a ten-story window). At a high enough dose the user will pass out, with amnesia. Let them sleep, and make sure they are lying in such a way that
vomit will not be inhaled. Nausea is unusual, by the way, but it's best to be safe.

But what constitutes a bad trip for salvia?
I'm not going to get into idea of what a bad trip is in general here. I assume people are aware of the concept.

For salvia it is usually caused by an accidental overshoot of your desired dosage. For salvia the bad trip can be really unpleasant. No matter how experienced you
are at tripping with other drugs, nothing will prepare you for a high-dose salvia trip (not even DMT).

Basically, everyone is a beginner. Salvia is the one drug that can turn even the most experienced seasoned veteran group-tripper into a gibbering mess. It can put
you off drugs completely forever! This is no exaggeration. I fucking kid you not. I have seen this happen to someone first hand. A sufficiently high dose can
unhinge you, and cause a terrifying jolt, followed by a very uncomfortable ordeal, none of which you can do anything about until you are past the peak. Granted, the
peak doesn't last too long, but that won't mean much to you while you are there.

The physical effects can get a little harsh, for example a searing buzz that resolves itself as an all-over body sweat. This is not dangerous.

Other unpleasant physical effects tend to be dissociative; out-of-body experiences, detachment from proprioception, that sort of thing. This does not last!
Mentally, ego-dissolution can occur and you can find yourself as someone or something else, somewhere else - all too quickly. Salvia will hit you before you can
even question what is going on. You can't really mentally work at it if you smoke it - like you can with orally ingested drugs - because once it hits, it's too
late.

If you want any testimonies, check out the bad trip reports on Erowid's web site.

To avoid all this, slowly and carefully find your desired dosage for your desired level. And always use a trip sitter. Always.

Can you pass out from salvia?
Of course. This is level 6 - amnesia. It isn't dangerous as long as your tripper arranges for you to be orientated in a comfortable position for breathing and not
choking on vomit. Vomiting is unlikely from salvia but not inconceivable. You will awaken after a while (an hour or two) unless you fall into a full sleep pattern
(maybe 8 hours or so, but you can be aroused any time after 30-90 minutes). Salvia does not affect sleep, and in fact promotes good REM sleep. However your trip
sitter should always look out for any possible respiratory difficulties and check heartbeat, just to be anally sure things are okay.

What about dosage?
Dosages vary widely with different people. The threshold dose for Salvinorin A is approximately 250 micrograms (correct, it's nearly as potent as LSD). A dose
greater than 750-1000 micrograms can yield extreme results. This varies from person to person. The average concentration for regular salvia leaves is 2.5
milligrams per gram of leaf material. So there isn't much Salvinorin A in your average leaf.

How do I find my desired dosage?
For smoking: The new user will start with regular leaves. The new user will be familiar with the salvia trip levels and will have an idea where he/she wants to aim
(as you journey you may find that your desired trip level may change as you get to know salvia). Start with 200mcg of leaf material and smoke this according to the
procedure outlined below. Then try 300mcg. Then 400mcg. At this point it becomes unfeasible to smoke that amount in a 2 minute period.

If, after several good attempts, you are getting nothing move onto fortified leaf material. Start with 5x. Begin with 50mcg of 5x. Move up in increments of 25mcg
until you start to feel the effects. When the effects start at a low-moderate level move only very carefully upwards. It is difficult to maintain accuracy and
consistency, because it's impossible to predict exactly how much Salvinorin A will be absorbed. If you do not feel anything from 5x, move to 10x and apply the same
dosages: 50mcg, 75mcg, etc. Bear in mind that dosages can only be so accurate: smoking the same amount of 5x can hit harder than 10x in some cases - this is due to
many factors. Smoking is such an approximate business.

If you are still not getting anything, just take some time out and start again. Each attempt can be repeated every 60-120 minutes, but you can give it a rest for a
few days if you like. Salvia does not develop tolerance but it will tire you out after a while even at lower levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part 2 of 2

For sublingual absorption: Use a fresh quid with 10 leaves. Use them as mentioned in the main FAQ. There are a few more tips below. You can also use prepared
extractions.

How do I make extractions?
This is covered in http://www.erowid.org/plants/salvia/salvia_extraction1.shtml,
http://www.erowid.org/plants/salvia/salvia_extraction2.shtml and
http://www.erowid.org/plants/salvia/salvia_extraction3.shtml.

Bear in mind that you may not know exactly how potent your result will be. Try to be as accurate as possible. Be careful.

How do I smoke salvia?
For decent visionary levels forget pipes and joints. You need a bong with a CHAMBER capable of holding a good lungful of smoke, and an AIRHOLE. This allows you to
quickly fill the chamber with lungfuls of smoke. I have assumed that you have found your desired dosage for a visionary level, with an appropriate strength product
that will produce three lungfuls at most. Despite rumours, a regular cigarette lighter will sufficiently combust salvia. Dried material will burn quickly. Most of
the Salvinorin A will not be absorbed from your lungs until 20 seconds have passed. The depth of the trip is defined by the amount taken within a 2 minute period.
Remember to find a comfortable setting (and sit or lie down) and have a trip sitter present. Perform the following:
  • Pack the bong with the required crushed up dry salvia.
  • Place your finger over the airhole, light the salvia while dragging air in. Suck a full chamber of smoke in - don't inhale at this point.
  • Empty the air out of your lungs, let your finger off the airhole and suck all the smoke into your lungs.
  • Just as you finish sucking in all the smoke, take your mouth away from the bong and drag in a little clean air (think of it as an air plug).
  • Hold the smoke in for AT LEAST 20 seconds - preferably 25-30.
  • Exhale and repeat until you have all the salvia smoked (aim for at most three inhales)
  • Do all this within a 2 minute period.
  • Put the bong down or give it to someone else as you feel the effects come on.

[/b]What about a gravity bong?[/b]
Reports indicate that this is a potent and less controllable route. Nobody who has tried this has stuck with it. Unless you are exceptionally tolerant to salvia (I
mean, 20x ain't working) or you are into hardcore S&M (heavy on the M), I wouldn't bother. Even then... er, I just wouldn't bother. You seriously risk overdosing
and/or having a bad trip. A chamber bong is best.

Can I not smoke salvia in a joint?
You can, but you will achieve a mild trip at most. It is wasteful this way, but it can be done. It's quite pleasant. I recommend using flakes of 10x through a
hash-oil joint for a unique experience.

My sublingual attempts don't work. What's going on?
Here are a few tips for extracts (and quids):
  • Brush your teeth and the inside of your mouth, particularly under your tongue - using toothpaste.
  • Before you start, and in between each dose, wash your mouth out with antiseptic mouthwash.
  • Stagger your dose. That is, separate out one 15 minute dose into 3 5-minute doses.
  • For extract in solvent, dilute it with equal part warm water.
  • For extract not in solvent, consider mixing it in a little solvent. Salvinorin A is insoluble in water. Use a friendly alcohol.
  • Swish the mix in your mouth, the focal point being under your tongue.
  • Swallow your doses afterwards.
Here are a few extra tips for quids:
  • Use 10 leaves per quid
  • Store them by wrapping them in cellophane and putting them in the fridge
  • Steep them in a friendly alcohol to help get the salvinorin moving
Where do I obtain salvia?
Sorry, no specific supplier info. If you happen to visit Holland, head shops sell it over the counter. You may also find someone selling plants at a music festival
or similar gathering. Salvia can be purchased over the Internet in its various preparations. Also, I assume you know 1) what a web browser is, 2) what a search
engine is, 3) how to spell salvia.

Can salvia be potentiated with a MAOI?
Although salvinorin A is not an amine, apparently there is a synergy here. There are also reports of potentiation and elongation, though it's possibly placebo. The
synergy and potentiation may not be due to the actual MAOI process. Pure harmine/harmaline may not work, for example. Syrian Rue (which contains more than
harmine/harmaline) is the preferred choice for advocates. Apparently, after taking 3-5 grams of syrian rue the salvia trip can be more intense and visual.

Before you go any further, read up on MAOI precautions here:
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/maois/maois_info2.shtml
and here:
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/maois/maois_info3.shtml

I read up on how to take care of my plant. Any more tips ?
Growing salvia is not complicated. No fancy tricks are necessary. Think of it as a house plant. Too much humidity (e.g. using a tent) can attract pests. Just
lightly mist the plant a few times a week. For soil, use 6 parts commercial potting soil for house plants (i.e. soil with added peat moss) and add 1 part perlite
and 1 part vermiculite (if they are not included already). Lightly mist the cutting, but make sure soil is good and moist. Regular fluorescent lights suffice in
lieu of daylight. Basically, pretend it is your favourite house plant. Hopefully you don't have to pretend
smile.gif

Can I smoke the stem and branches from my plant?
Yes. But it is not as potent as the leaves. You can chop up branches into little pieces (dicing) and leave them to dry for smoking. Extraction using stem material
with leaves turns out to yield a less potent product than using leaves alone. Stick to the leaves. Use branches for cuttings. Don't kill your plant by smoking it
all.

My plant cutting will not take root. Why not?
Most often roots grow from the bottom and near nodes. But once in a while they also develop somewhere in the middle. Make sure your potting soil has good aeration
for rooting. Make sure it can provide nutrients and hold water. Lightly mist the cutting, but make sure the soil is good and moist. If a cutting does not take
root after 2-3 weeks, cut the brown part of the stem at the bottom up to the next node (where leaves usually sprout from) and plant it again. If you have made your
own cuttings, plant them in the same pot beside the parent plant until roots form - the parent soil is what the cutting is already used to, and the parent plant
won't be affected. Placing cuttings in water mixed with nutrients does not seem to encourage rooting.

How does salvia mix with other drugs?
Mixing drugs is a risky business, because in the worst case scenario whatever risks occur with drugs alone can be multiplied in combination. Absolutely know each
drug separately first. Since salvia is quick acting and short lived at the peak, the normal thing to do is take your usual desired dose (no more!) of the other drug
first, and try your desired level of salvia at or after the peak of the other drug. A lower dose of salvia can be used before the peak of the other drug for it's
calming effect. Note that salvia will probably introduce other altered states into the mix, and these can be nice - but not always. Also remember that a high
enough dose of saliva is still salvia no matter what drug you are on. There are no reports of unusual difficulties arising from mixing salvia with other drugs, but
you don't want to be the first. Tolerance does not occur for salvia, so you may top up at various stages with the same effectiveness.

MDMA: Smoking a high dose will blow the MDMA out of the picture for a couple of minutes, and can be disorientating. This combo is less useful for the visionary
purposes offered by salvia alone. The physical edge is taken away - i.e. the effects are less harsh. You will be in a positive mood from the MDMA and this can help
steer the salvia experience in that direction. Once the salvia calms down, the MDMA returns and a distinctive synergy can occur. The euphoria can be distinctly
beautiful - calming and relaxing. Visually, there can be a slight misting effect but not much else (except for the usual at a high-dose salvia peak). Lower levels
of salvia (and sublingual) also produce this synergy. I am impressed by this combination, but you may vary.

LSD: Smoking high dose salvia at the peak can be overwhelming for a couple of minutes. LSD visuals are usually enhanced even at lower doses of salvia. Smoking
salvia after the peak can also bring up the LSD visuals. It is not always pleasant, and it may send you in a darker direction. Just relax and be careful.
Shrooms: Similar to LSD.

5-MEO-DIPT: The edge is taken off the salvia trip. A high-dose of smoked salvia at the Foxy peak will still blow the Foxy out of the picture for a couple of minutes
and can be disorientating. I found the eventually synergy to be quite nice. NOTE: Research chemicals are relatively new and unknown. Be careful.

2-c-t-7: The edge is taken off the salvia trip. Visuals are affected, usually positively. It can be quite nice. There is a calming effect after salvia peak. A
high-enough dose will blow 2c-t-7 out of the picture for a couple of minutes and send you into salvia-land for that time. NOTE: Research chemicals are relatively
new and unknown. Be careful.

Mescaline: Enough smoked salvia will take over completely for a couple of minutes. When the salvia calms down there is a lovely synergy here too - once again it's
that calming cool breeze of salvia. I was impressed with this, but you may not be.

2c-t-2: Reports sound similar to mescaline interactions. NOTE: Research chemicals are relatively new and unknown. Be careful.

DXM: Reports range from unpleasant uncomfortable experiences to profound visionary states. Be careful.

Ketamine: Apparently similar to DXM in some respects, but I don't know any more. I know this much: be careful.

GHB: I was initially worried by this combo, but salvia is not a CNS depressant. GHB can help your general mood and therefore push salvia in a positive direction but
it's not a guarantee. GHB can take some of the edge off salvia. You will feel drowsy afterwards.

Cocaine, amphetamines: I don't know personally, but reports indicate that salvia can be more intense. Drowsiness is also combatted (for a while anyway).

Nitrous: This is very difficult to pull off. You would definitely need help. Do the salvia first, obviously. You shouldn't forget to get oxygen straight after
using nitrous, so you need your trip sitter to be aware of this because you won't be in a fit state to sort it out. It's not recommended at the salvia peak unless
you are familiar with high-level salvia. There aren't many reports, but it doesn't seem to be much use, except to get very fucked up. You may find a useful set of
visionary states but it's not recommended. Don't bother.

Kava: Taking this before a salvia trip can modify the trip but it does not potentiate it. The salvia can be less interesting, less visual and more sedate. I have
experienced this myself. Nothing special.

Cannabis: Can be less visionary, but more disorientating. There is a definite modification with possible increase of dissociative effects (Once I had a grass joint
after a salvia peak and shortly after I couldn't feel my lips. It felt quite detached, but it wasn't unpleasant that one time.).

Syrian Rue: I covered that one in a question above. Remember the precautions for MAOIs.

5-htp: No qualitative change on the salvia trip, but can induce drowsiness. More sedate.

St. John's Wort: Reports indicate that when SJW is taken on a daily basis as an antidepressant, it may decrease the dose of salvia needed to get a salvia effect -
i.e. possible potentiation. The salvia trip is not qualitatively changed.

What about other methods of use ?
Swallowed: Active if enough is taken as an emulsified infusion made from fresh leaves or extract. Cooking with extract apparently works, but not well - I'm checking
this out myself.

Vaporization: Considered to be too risky. Major possibility of overdosing.

Snorting extract snuff/liquid: There have been suggestions about this in various salvia groups, normally followed by a tumbleweed. NOT RECOMMENDED, because the
pain/pleasure ratio is not good compared to other methods - so why bother. Salvinorin A is insoluble in water so good luck finding a solvent that won't fuck your
nose up. Don't bother unless you are a snuff fan who knows how to prepare it, etc. I don't know how to make salvia snuff, sorry.

Injecting IV, IM: Salvinorin A is insoluble in water so this is impractical. It would also be risky, due to possible overdosing.

Plugging: There are reports of activity. Grain alcohol may damage your colon, so avoid that.

Transdermally: There has been some talk about making ointments, but there is no information presently.

Intravaginally: Reported as active.

I heard that salvia divinorum is not the only psychoactive sage. What about other salvia species ?
This is discussed elsewhere, and there was a study done on Salvia Splendens (Blaze of Fire). The study concluded that there were no effects other than placebo.
This isn't the final word by any means. I personally tried sublingual and smoked splendens. I got no effects, sorry.