Acid house in 1982?

BDDC are great this is my fav album by them

black_devil_disco_LP.jpg

another great quirky disco track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZG2Be-xzII

Defintiely wouldnt say Charanjit Singh invented acid house (or had any influence on it) but its stil an amazing record, just shows how much technology itself creates musical styles (you have an 808 and 303 with 4/4 kick drums and you got acid house.)

Acid house was a genre, the 303 wasn't neccessary but it was very common. (one of synths that was cheap and eadily available after they were considered obsolete when digital technologies started coming out.) I think it was only really later (with people like luke vibert and co) Acid was used as a term to purely descirbe something as containing a 303.

But yeah.......in general, any track that is described as 'acid' must feature a 303 IMO.

You'd be amazed to find out how many "acid" tracks don't actually use a 303. Clones, maybe but really any analogue monophonic synth can do a somewhat proper 303 sound.

You'd be amazed to find out how many "acid" tracks don't actually use a 303. Clones, maybe but really any analogue monophonic synth can do a somewhat proper 303 sound.

I actually tried making a 303 sound in Reason (using Subtraktor), by following a set of instructions I found on the internet. But it didn't sound very convincing :\

I actually tried making a 303 sound in Reason (using Subtraktor), by following a set of instructions I found on the internet. But it didn't sound very convincing :\

Ya know, in a situation like that I'd think that programming accent (velocity) and slides (portamento) will get you close. That and staccato notes. Program velocity rhythmically so to speak and slide the notes into each other here and there and I think it'd be passable for a Reason synth anyway.

Really though, given that you know what good acid sounds like; you owe it to yourself to get a x0xb0x.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-dfhIeLTcU

They're not as expensive as you'd think...maybe a third of a 303's value? Component's are identical to a 303 so any differences in the sound are super negligible.