Acid house in 1982?

AndroidsDreamofBTC

Bluelight Crew
Hey guys,

I recently came over this track in EADD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUqnPYwoiF4

This is supposed to a remix of classical Indian raga in an acid house style. The one deal with this track is that it was supposed to be released in 1982! 8o Isn't that way earlier before the acid revolution hit Europe in the late 80s? Some people are speculating that this is actually a modern remix.

Here is a Guardian article about this whole thing:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/apr/10/charanjit-singh-acid-house

If this guy really made this track in 1982, then he was beyond his time.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
It sounds like it could have been produced with the equipment available in 1982.

Don't forget that italo disco and then house music evolved from the same source: disco. The history of dance music's many sounds is also a history of the evolution of the technology used to produce it.

People were also dropping MDMA during the late 70's into the early 80's in the United States. This was when MDMA use outside of the clinical setting was still flying under the radar.

:)

It sounds like it could have been produced with the equipment available in 1982.

Don't forget that italo disco and then house music evolved from the same source: disco. The history of dance music's many sounds is also a history of the evolution of the technology used to produce it.

People were also dropping MDMA during the late 70's into the early 80's in the United States. This was when MDMA use outside of the clinical setting was still flying under the radar.

True. It's some pretty cool music. I am even going to buy the album once I get my paycheck at the end of the month.

I was under the impression, that MDMA use didn't really get big in the states till the mid-80s with the whole Dallas thing.

It was the late 70's into the early 80's.

Legally synthed MDMA was put on hold in 1982 for 2 years.

It came back with a vengence in 1984.

Fun Fact: A mid-eighties trip to Ibiza changed Paul Oakenfold's life forever.

On topic: That track sounds like something more pre-Trance than 'Acid House.'

I guess you can count this 1959 masterpiece as the truly first techno/acid tune's ever - I know that there are plenty of acid tracks with zero Tb303 and this is one of them, the 4/4 structure and particular feel and sequence makes this acid to the bone - Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SHJ6CcML80

:D

^ It's not acid if it doesn't have a 303 (or one of its clones) in it.

^Spank Spank by Future is not a acid track then? I fear the night by - Tyree? These are just two examples of acid trax without any hints of 303.

Acid does not mean 303, but i will happily go by your rule as you the mod :)

Using a Tb303 in a repetitive manner from 1983

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B64OeE782iw

ta ta

^Spank Spank by Future is not a acid track then? I fear the night by - Tyree? These are just two examples of acid trax without any hints of 303.

Acid does not mean 303
Those are regular Chicago House tracks. Acid does mean 303. What do all the different acid genres have in common? They all use the sounds of the TB-303. That is the only thing they have in common, so that must be what acid means.

Hi

I guess over the many years it can mean whatever people want

The mention of Delia Derbyshire making 4/4 'acid' by accident in 1964 maybe out of the question too, as 303's did not exist

ps.. Spank Spank is so acid it hurts ;)

Last edited:
Acid does mean 303. What do all the different acid genres have in common? They all use the sounds of the TB-303. That is the only thing they have in common, so that must be what acid means.

I agree with this. The only possible exception is 'acid house'. A lot of people use the term 'acid house' to describe house tracks that feature a 303. But a lot of people also use the term 'acid house' to describe the period of house music from 1987-1991, regardless of whether it featured a 303 (although, of course, a lot of it did feature a 303!!!).

But yeah.......in general, any track that is described as 'acid' must feature a 303 IMO.

Black Devil! not acid but fucking nuts for 1978!

Black Devil - H-Friend

6a00c2251c04e5604a00d41431bf486a47-500pi

not sure about the acid/303 thing, I think of acid as having the squelchy 303 sound but surely other gear can make a sound that you hear and think 'ACID' :)

Black Devil! not acid but fucking nuts for 1978!

Black Devil - H-Friend

6a00c2251c04e5604a00d41431bf486a47-500pi

not sure about the acid/303 thing, I think of acid as having the squelchy 303 sound but surely other gear can make a sound that you hear and think 'ACID' :)

Wow, this is really cool. It's interesting to hear such tracks. It's funny how people probably thought such tracks were "weird" and now EDM is almost mainstream.

I agree with this. The only possible exception is 'acid house'. A lot of people use the term 'acid house' to describe house tracks that feature a 303. But a lot of people also use the term 'acid house' to describe the period of house music from 1987-1991, regardless of whether it featured a 303 (although, of course, a lot of it did feature a 303!!!).

But yeah.......in general, any track that is described as 'acid' must feature a 303 IMO.

Its used to describe a specific style of music (house music that involves the use of the Roland 303) and a more general genre and youth movement.