• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Hep C

ranunky

Bluelighter
There's a 50/50 chance i used a needle that a guy with hep C (type 5) used. what are the chances I have it and if I get checked sooner can it be cured?

i dont think it can be cured, but it can be treated til its undectable, but from what i hear if you have it you have it for life.

It can be cleared from your system with interferon treatment. But that has a range of side effects that aren't well-documented and occasionally are long term and terrible. Theres a decent chance, at least like 20%, that your body will clear it on its own. More likely if you are female. If you got it, i'd wait and see if your body could clear it, and if not, i'd personally just stop drinking and doing stuff bad for you liver and live with it. Hep C is on the verge of becoming completely curable from what i researched when i had a hep c scare, and you will be fine for at least 10 years, but probably much longer, and by then i'd put money that they have a cure. Currently, interferon works like 50% of the time, more or less depending on what subtype of hep c u got. So its not all bleak news.
Best of luck, and i hope you didnt catch anything and will take this as a lesson to stop shooting drugs or at least stop using drugs around other users b/c you run these risks.

are you sure that the interfuron cures it completely? cause i have hep c and thats one of the main reason i havent looked further into going through the treatment. I dont want to go throguh all the side effects if its just going to come back, but i if its a cure than id probaly try to go through it

^ Interferon doesn't "cure" Hep C. It puts it in remission. I've been on interferon for the past 42 weeks ( out of 52) so hopefully it works!

thats what i thought , hows the treatment been so far? do you think its worth it?

Sorry for the misinformation. Is it undetectable b/c it isnt there, or b/c it isn't there in sufficient quantity? Or you simply have antibody still but no virus? B.c you will always have the antibody. I have hep b antibody because i was vaccinated for it. Catch my drift?

hows the treatment been so far? do you think its worth it?

Right now, it sucks and has a lot of side effect. If it works the way its supposed to though, it's def. worth it.

what are you guys doing sharing needles anyway? weren't you aware that 1in3 IV users have hep C

what are you guys doing sharing needles anyway? weren't you aware that 1in3 IV users have hep C

Please don't jump into this thread to lecture us. If your going to post at least say something that will contribute. I already have Hep C so nothing you say can change that now. You do know theres other ways to get Hep C other than needles right?

yes, but the main way of getting hep c is from IV, 80% of transmission cases

the other risks are from sharing toothbrush, sharing razors, fighting, tattoo's, blood rituals, needle stick injury

but the main way is sharing needles, I just don't understand why you guys shared needles with each other in the first place, PureLife I suggest you dont share a needle again just incase you catch another strain or infect somebody.

If you are in prison that is understandable, but in the community? just wait that extra 10mins to go buy a clean syringe.

(Merged three posts here- Please see BL Etiquette in the GreenLighter's Guide. Thanks!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you don't mind if I pop in a little Q' in youre thread.

I shared needles with a guy who have Hep C - actually I shared a lot of needles when i was in my heroin glory. Anyway I ended up in the hospital and got the routine test of HIV and Hepatitus. Negative on HIV/AIDS and Hepatitus I had Hep A or B antibodies + Hep C antibodies..

They want to be sure so Ill be taking another test for Hep C in about 5 months.
Can these test give false information like in my case where they didn't find the virus just antibodies?

I mean its a sign I have or had Hep C.

I have had scares like this the best thing to do is make sure you dont spread it to anyone else and statr being more careful not to expose yourself again. In reality the odds of contracting it are pretty managable I think 50 percent is fairly accurate. The key is that your life is not over nor will it be permantly fucked so dont use this as an excuse to go off the deep end and do something dumb.

if you have the anti-bodies i think it means you were exposed but your body fought it off, which does happen in a small percentage of cases

Thats what I thought. If your vaccinated for hep A&B wouldn't you come up positive for antibodies?

If you are going to share a needle with someone bleach will not kill hep c.

HYDROGEN PEROXIDE DOES. Please share this information with all your friends. It probably saved my life.

I got tested today and the nurse said not to worry too much from one share that it's repeated exposure tat gets people. I'm still worried though:-/.

I hope you don't mind if I pop in a little Q' in youre thread.

I shared needles with a guy who have Hep C - actually I shared a lot of needles when i was in my heroin glory. Anyway I ended up in the hospital and got the routine test of HIV and Hepatitus. Negative on HIV/AIDS and Hepatitus I had Hep A or B antibodies + Hep C antibodies..

They want to be sure so Ill be taking another test for Hep C in about 5 months.
Can these test give false information like in my case where they didn't find the virus just antibodies?

I mean its a sign I have or had Hep C.

You could just be a carrier, and not infected showing signs of infection. Perhaps that is the better.

Since you have the antibodies, that tells me you had vaccinations for A or B, and probably repeated exposure to C.

Another way of saying what you have is inactive hep c. Hopefully it will never become active.

Merged 2 posts. Please see Bluelight etiquette in the greenlighters guide - PA

Last edited by a moderator: