• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Evidence for the Human Soul

the observer spark still leave vacant the propulsion of creativity. you know the bone scene in 2001 and the obelisk. the inspiration and creative new use of the bone is something i feel is akin to the abserver spark actually making a difference to the material world. a signal is sent from the divine seldomly here and there and the rest flows determinalistically from the momentum therein.

I'd say a lot of our inquiries are instinct driven. Our answers and creativity can't be instinct driven. That isn't to say we have a soul, we've just evolved passed those instincts of inquiry to real disciplined answers. Instinct is basic, we've evolved to be very complex and I doubt instinct alone accounts for our patterns of thought.

^ I think there's definitely a component to any person's behaviors and decisions that's undoubtedly instinctive. Keeping in mind that for any one person or one behavior, what's instinctive and what's a unique quirk of how that person just is, is never possible to untangle.

I think having a soul and having instinct are potentially compatible.

apparently your brain makes decisions for you like two seconds before you even know you are making a decision. i saw some experiment on telly once. thats all ive got.

^subconscious activity does indeed occur, but what about complex negotiation or conversing skills? they are more rapid and dynamic and have no time for a two second pause.

^subconscious activity does indeed occur, but what about complex negotiation or conversing skills? they are more rapid and dynamic and have no time for a two second pause.

Hey, I don't know about negotiation I would figure it's the same; but, we do indeed carry on conversations before the thoughts even enter your awareness. I hadn't heard "decisions" in particular but I am sure it applies even there.

I didn't know to google this information but I remember the documentary in which it was mentioned:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/why-do-we-talk/

It will have all the facts, who did the study, how, why..I was just too lazy to watch again and pick them out. :D

I believe that humans are simply complex instinct. We can sacrifice pain for greater pleasure because we're, basically, smarter. It has nothing to do with the soul just the complexity of our brain.

@Apostacious: I'm curious as to how you think that something can have no explanation(function, relationship to/with other things, composition, ect). seems pretty self evident to me that everything in the universe can be analyzed/rationalized/defined, if not now, then at some point, and not necessarily by humanity.

yeah but that's by definition a metaphysical stance you are taking by saying that "everything must be explicable" beacuse it's a statement about reality that you cannot conclusively prove.
The fact that there is a doubt possible for this leaves the opposite of this stance possible on a universal scale.
I believe it is true that everything stems from cause and effect, but when exactly does dough turn into bread?

Doesn't the "human soul" comprise the only undeniable, self-evident truth of reality?

IMO you can only "know" something in certainty unless that something is physically equivalent to you.

^I think I see what you're saying and I think I like it...but, could you clarify the intent of the latter half of that statement? :)