• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Seperating Levamisole from Cocaine

Phosphoruylated nitrophenols are availiable, so is synthetic BAP, it's just not sold by DanceSafe.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect your average coke user to buy those ingredients and make his/her own test kit. It's expensive and it requires some biochemistry lab skills to make the kit, not to mention the lab equipment that isn't accessible to most users.

What would actually be helpful would be if someone could use Simons reagent on coke known to be free of levamisole and post the results here. If there's no reaction, then we could actually be onto something that can help people today.

So I have done some thinking on this subject and done a little kitchen experimentation with levamisole. I want to state up front that there are two references that are relevant but I don’t have access to:

1) N. A. Dickinson, H. E. Hudson and P. J. Taylor, "Levamisole: its stability in aqueous solutions at elevated temperatures. Part I. Isolation and identification of decomposition products formed in aqueous solutions of levamisole stored under nitrogen and oxygen at 100 °C" Analyst, 1971, 96, 235-243

2) V. Das Gupta, "Stability of cocaine hydrochloride solutions at various pH values as determined by high-pressure liquid chromatography", International Journal of Pharmaceutics , vol. 10, 1982, pp. 249 -257.

If it’s within the forum rules, perhaps someone with access could post copies here. That said, here goes:

About 0.75 g of levamisole HCl was dissolved in about ~50 mL of water in a small glass bottle. About 0.5 g (about 100% molar excess) of NaHC03 was added and allowed to dissolve. The solution was shaken vigorously over several minutes with evolution of gas, CO2 most likely, and a faint precipitate. The sample at this point had a slight but unmistakable smell of a free base amine.

The bottle was microwaved until the solution came to a boil (about 20 seconds) and removed from the microwave. The sample now had an unmistakable, unpleasant smell of a thiol, very much like the smell of leaking natural gas. Yuck. On cooling a noticeable white precipitate formed. The mixture was extracted 2 x with ~10 mL an organic solvent and the solvent dried and allowed to evaporate on a watch glass, leaving a small amount of a clear oily liquid with a strong thiol-like smell. (I’m thinking this liquid product is probably described in reference 1 above. Also relevant is this DEA link: http://www.justice.gov/dea/programs/forensicsci/microgram/journal_v6_num34/pg3.html.)

The oily liquid is insoluble in water, easily soluble in 0.1 M aqueous NaOH (pH 13) and only partially soluble in aqueous NaOH at pH 11.5.

It is known that thoils are fairly acidic, with aliphatic thiols having pKa in the 10.5 range. This would explain why this oily liquid is soluble at pH 13, existing almost completely as the conjugate base, a thoilate ion. However, it is also known that cocaine decomposes (ester hydrolysis) over time in neutral to basic solutions, with the rate of decomposition dependent on several factors including pH and temperature.

So the idea is that if cocaine can withstand several minutes in pH 13 solution with acceptable losses, then we may have a simple way to remove the levamisole. On the other hand, if the cocaine decomposes too quickly at this pH, then such an approach would obviously not be acceptable. My guess is that hydrolysis is fairly rapid at this pH, but I was hoping to hear from others here who may know more about this.

So this is what I'm thinking:

*Proposed* kitchen process to remove levamisole from cocaine

1. Dissolve 500 mg adulterated cocaine HCl in 1-2 mL dH20 in small beaker or flask
2. Add 6-8 mL saturated NaHCO3 solution with swirling
3. Cover with parafilm and microwave carefully, stopping at boil. (This is where the levamisole decomposes to an aliphatic thiol, R-CH2-CH2-SH)
4. Cool in refrigerator to room temp or just below.
5. Extract 2x with 10 mL CH2Cl2 and 1x with 5 mL CH2Cl2
6. Wash organic phase 2 x with 0.1 M NaOH(aq.) (This is where the thiol dissolves in the aqueous phase as the thiolate)
7. Wash organic phase 2 x with dH20
8. Dry organic phase with anhydrous MgSo4 and filter
9. Allow CH2Cl2 to evaporate and weigh solid free base

This process has not been tested. At this point, it's still a thought experiment. If it works, the main benefit of this process is that it's easy to carry out, not much more difficult than a normal A/B process.

Your thoughtful comments, please.

BTW, still hoping someone will help out with those references.

Last edited:
TLC Rf Values for Levamisole and Cocaine

^this did not work out as I had hoped. It's not quite as simple as that, unfortunately. Will post more as I get more useful information.

In the meantime, I came across some TLC Rf values for levamisole and cocaine that I thought I would share with the group, FWIW.

In all cases, adsorbent is silica dipped in 0.1 M KOH and dried.

Solvent systems:

(1) Methanol:ammonia (100:1.5)
(2) Cyclohexane:toluene:diethylamine (75:15:10)
(3) Chloroform:methanol (9:1)
(4) Acetone

Rf x 100 values:

Solvent system 1 2 3 4
Cocaine 65 47 47 54
Levamisole 62 18 48 42

So it looks like solvent system 2 provides the best separation.

See, http://phoenix.tuwien.ac.at/pdf/HandbookThinLayerChrom_Sherma_Fried_360.pdf

Edit: Sorry, don't know how to make a tabluated table. Rf x 100 for solvent system 2, for example, is 47 for cocaine, 18 for levamisole.

Last edited:
Nice work 5HTguy! Looking at that paper I wonder if it could be as simple as dissolving cocaine/levamisole HCl in water, boil, cool and filter. Evaporate the water or basify, filter and crystallise cocaine.HCl.

That's assuming a similar rate of ring opening at whatever pH a cocaine/levamisole HCl solution is as you observed in a slightly basic solution. And the paper mentions an oxidation product as a major byproduct - I can't find anything about the pKa of this, calculation with Marvin gives pKa 4.2 (7.0 for levamisole) so it would be <2% protonated at pH 6 and should precipitate along with the ring-opened thiol/disulfide.

I know this should be in another thread but I test here as you know your stuff and such. In places in Europe cocaine have been laced with as much as +40% larocaine and is expensive and can not be "cracked" so easily. Larocaine in it self is not dirt cheap. Would one like to do something similar to get rid of that numbing agent - MIGHT be some coce-light effects, better shit tan levamisole for granted. But put these tests together should bring money. Why not on the market... se what shit you got must have an almost explosive demand! Hope It did not brake any rule, trying to do my best.

Another sample was tested and it had novocaine in it. Different in EU/EU/EU probably... harder to basify! :(

Last edited:
The other -caines would be difficult to separate. Maybe you could diazotise the aniline and hydrolyse to give the phenol, which would give a handle for washing it out as the phenolate, maybe with bicarb/carbonate. Don't know how well the coke would hold up to that though.

Edit: For detection:

Most pharmacopoeias recommend determination of the pure substance by diazotization of the primary amino-coup by titration with 0.1N sodium nitrite. Determination of the active ingredient in pharmaceutical preparations requires a preliminary extraction followed by ultraviolet spectrophotometry or densitometry, but the method is tedious and rather inaccurate.

The cocaine shouldn't interfere so you should be able to do the titration directly, or for qualitative determination something like this would be pretty easy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBOal5Z69zE

Last edited:
So it looks like at pH 4 in an oxygen-free environment, levamisole will decompose on standing (5 days) to the thiol, 3-(2-Mercaptoethyl)-5-phenylimidazolidine-2-one, while the cocaine is quite stable at this pH. The thiol has a pKa around 10 and should be readily soluble in aqeous sodium hydroxide, whereas cocaine is insoluble.

So in principle this seems to be an easy path to getting rid of the levamisole in cocaine. Now we just need a process that's do-able in the kitchen and that actually works. I will let you y'all know when I know more.

@skillet, one problem with using neutral water is that the cocaine will also decompose along with the levamisole. Over the 5 days, you could lose more than 30% of the cocaine, according to Fig. 2, p. 256.

Oh, guess I should have looked at the other paper too! Still, I don't see the need to wash out the thiol with hydroxide, it will be insoluble in water at pH 4 and could be filtered or washed out with a non-polar solvent. Then you can just add bicarb to precipitate the cocaine base.

If you can raise the pH to around 6 just before washing/filtering you should be able to remove the oxidation by-product too, so it could be done without oxygen free atmosphere.

Last edited:
So : dissolve the powder in hot vinegar, filter, let stand for couple of days, PH should go from 3 to 6 with acetic evaporation.
If precipitate occure, you make it, filter, evaporate or base to purified cocaine or crack.
Need some testing.

5% vinegar has a calc. pH of 2.42...

I'd get a pH meter, add sodium acetate to vinegar until pH 4, then add coke and re-check the pH. Check/adjust pH periodically, then basify to pH 6 and extract or filter. Add a load of bicarb and filter crack.

@silliet, yes, I agree an acetate buffer would be good for pH 4, easily available too. But I'm not sure why you think the thiol would precipitate from a pH 4 solution, since at that pH one nitrogen will be protonated so the molecule will be in cationic form. Please explain.

Last edited:
@skillet, nevermid, I think I'm wrong about the protonation at that pH. Which means you're right, and that's good news becuase it's a much simpler process!

@skillet, nevermid, I think I'm wrong about the protonation at that pH. Which means you're right, and that's good news becuase it's a much simpler process!

So do you expect your final results to be a doable-by-dumbass-in-kitchen procedure?

Just this morning, a certain dumbass finally thought maby he'd snorted way too much levamisole in shiny chunk form the past 6 months, and with no readily available test he was aware of, or any known way to remove levamisole, maby he needed a month+ levamisole break (/coke break).

THEN this afternoon I figured I'd get on here and see if some genius coke user finally stepped up and found a way, and for once it looks like we're close!? I'll have to do this and le_junks acetone wash. No more coke for me till it's pure!

So do you expect your final results to be a doable-by-dumbass-in-kitchen procedure?

Yes, I do.

I think we now have the concept. We just need some more experimentation to confirm it and tweak it. I can imagine several different methods, with various tradeoffs. Perhaps a down and dirty method and a connoisseur method. Either way, it's based on the idea that levamisole breaks down to a thiol in water at pH 4 whereas cocaine is very stable. As skillet points out, this particular thiol compound should be very easy to separate from the acidic solution with an extraction with non-polar solvent. Something like Goof-off, which is essentially xylenes, should work for this. A pH 4 buffer can be achieved easily using regular white vinegar and some lye.

So basically, we'd be looking at vinegar, lye, goof off and some basic glassware. With a little skill and/or practice, easily do-able in the kitchen. ;)

More to follow as I learn more.

Last edited:
My per the Pirate Bear may be in possession of some amount of what he suspects to be coca cola adulterated with levamisole. The bear is fairly intelligent and would love to do all he can to assist in testing a hypothetical procedure.

^
We use "I" here. I was joking a few posts up calling myself a dumbass. No SWIM (or bear, heh) stuff for bluelight, thankfully.

And that's great 5HTguy, thanks for keeping us posted on what's going on, much appreciated. Once you have it nailed down, I'll use your recommended method for removing levamisole (the "connoisseur method" you end up with, possibly) along with a hydrogenous acetone wash if that may further clean it up of other cuts. 100% coke is practically unimaginable, sure is nice having something close to that in view.