• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Weed for opiate withdrawal

Don't toke while WDing, where do you come up with your shit?

based on the fact that cannabis is a psychotomimetic drug:\
also i didnt say such thing, i just said it doesnt work on ppl who have mental issues like psychotic disorders etc

Ganj does very little for my WD's, but it can keep me from puking, which is always good. I tend to find that the best thing (OTC) for me is booze, Lope, and strong Valerin/kava tea.

good luck.

based on the fact that cannabis is a psychotomimetic drug:\
also i didnt say such thing, i just said it doesnt work on ppl who have mental issues like psychotic disorders etc

You said "don't toke while WDing", the text is quoted a few lines up...

Im not trying to become a part of an argument or anything but I believe kokomo said...."dont toke while WD'ing if your family has a history of metnal illness".....in fact...yea, thats what he said...heres the quote...

depends on ur mental health. cannabis is anxiogenic plant if it doesnt make u freak out or feel bad etc it really helps (toking 15 years to relax aint mean ull never get anxiogenic effects) if u have mental illness history or in ur family (specially psychotic disorders/diseases) u shouldnt toke while WDing

That should clear things up. I dont think he meant that EVERYONE shouldnt toke while wd'ing, just people at risk for serious mental problems.

I don't know if this helps any, but weed during my clonazepam withdrawal weed made me so anxious I felt like jumping out of my skin and balling up crying. I have no experience with opiate withdrawal, but I don't think anything that could possibly make you anxious would help. I'd take very small hits depending on the quality of your stuff and just try to mellow out on as small of an amount as you can. Just take it easy with it.

Last edited:
I don't know if this helps any, but weed during my clonazepam withdrawal weed made me so anxious I felt like jumping out of my skin and balling up crying. I have no experience with opiate withdrawal, but I don't think anything that could possibly make you anxious would help. I'd take very small hits depending on the quality of your stuff and just try to mellow out on as small of an amount as you can. Just take it easy with it.

i agree with this guy^^^...

...weed tends to make me more "aware" of what situation im in, or more "sensitive" to my current overall condition....and if im currently in opiate/benzo withdrawal, weed will only magnify the efects of that withdrawal.
Or if I have a headache or migrane, weed will make it seem even more intense.

imo weed is the BEST thing to have when coming off opis. It takes away my stomach pains, my anxiety and depression, and it brings back my appetite as well. I almost feel as if the w/d symptoms temporarily go away after I smoke a bit of bud, especially if it is some high potency shit

If I had my ways weed would be a maintainence drug for coming off of opiates. It is nowhere near as evil as methadone is ;)

...weed tends to make me more "aware" of what situation im in, or more "sensitive" to my current overall condition....and if im currently in opiate/benzo withdrawal, weed will only magnify the efects of that withdrawal.
Or if I have a headache or migrane, weed will make it seem even more intense.

I find sometimes this is the case with middies. Sometimes they'll make me think about/into a situation much more than I want to, and has more of a chance of leaving me feeling burnt out

This is not the case all the time though, merely some of the times. It also doesn't happen with high quality weed, only mids

^for opiate and benzo withdrawal I found that weed could go either way depending on strain.

This was especially true of benzo w/d... Indicas high in CBD have an anticonvulsant effect and are far more anxiolytic whereas sativas with less CBD and more THC can actually be convulsant and anxiogenic. Smoking a potent sativa significantly exacerbated my anxiety, restlessness and overall discomfort.

I usually avoided weed during w/d because I wouldn't know how it would fare until after dropping the cash for the bag... Unless a friend had some strong indica for sure in which case, I'd jump all over that.

To echo a poster above, I still think lope is the most effective opiate w/d aid that isn't a Rx pharmaceutical.

^for opiate and benzo withdrawal I found that weed could go either way depending on strain.

This was especially true of benzo w/d... Indicas high in CBD have an anticonvulsant effect and are far more anxiolytic whereas sativas with less CBD and more THC can actually be convulsant and anxiogenic. Smoking a potent sativa significantly exacerbated my anxiety, restlessness and overall discomfort.

I usually avoided weed during w/d because I wouldn't know how it would fare until after dropping the cash for the bag... Unless a friend had some strong indica for sure in which case, I'd jump all over that.

To echo a poster above, I still think lope is the most effective opiate w/d aid that isn't a Rx pharmaceutical.

I actually feel opposite of what you do...

isnt indica the more "uppety" and "energy giving" strain?(i.e....lemon kush, etc..)

while sativa was more "relaxing" and "anxiolitic"?(i.e.....grape ape...etc..)

Like Cane2theLeft said, the strain of weed you have can make a big difference.. An indica is what you what, which has more relaxing properties rather than a sativa that, as you stated, makes you more "aware" of the situation you're in and the things going on around you.

With weed it's hard to be able to find a particular variety.. You might have to try a few kinds before you feel like you have the right stuff. Indica is the variety you're looking for; the darker, skunkier stuff. Good luck.

Last edited:
No mental illness in my family or in my life. Weed has helped with other things in my life too. So for me I will keep smoking and worry about the real problem, oxy's. Thanks

Im not trying to become a part of an argument or anything but I believe kokomo said...."dont toke while WD'ing if your family has a history of metnal illness".....in fact...yea, thats what he said...heres the quote...

That should clear things up. I dont think he meant that EVERYONE shouldnt toke while wd'ing, just people at risk for serious mental problems.

^^ exactly

It works wonders until it starts to wear off. That's when things are just as bad/worse than they were to start with. That doesn't stop me though.

jB-

The sativa high is often characterized as uplifting and energetic. The effects of a sativa marijuana are mostly cerebral. They give a feeling of optimism and well - being, as well as providing a good measure of pain relief for certain symptoms. A few pure sativas are also very high in THC content. They are known to have a quite spacey, or hallucinogenic, effect. Sativas are a good choice for daytime smoking.

The indica highs are most often described as a pleasant body buzz. Indicas are great for relaxation, stress relief, and for an overall sense of calm and serenity. Marijuana indicas are also very effective for overall body pain relief, and often used in the treatment of insomnia. They are the late - evening choice of many smokers as an all -night sleep aid. A few pure indica strains are very potent in THC, and will cause the "couchlock" effect, enabling the smoker to simply sit still and enjoy the experience of the smoke. Marijuana strains are available in the entire spectrum from pure sativas to pure indicas, and in every combination in - between. There are 30% sativa - 70% indica strains, there are 80% sativa -20% indica strains, and many, many 50% - 50% combinations, as well as others.source (bold selections added for emphasis)

Sativas are lighter colored, fluffy and more stimulating and cerebral while Indicas are darker, denser and more stoning/sedating.

^da man quote da truth, yo.

i deal mainly with chronic lower back pain and have had access to a decent indica from a reliable source for some time - probably why i'm such a lazy cunt;). through the beginning 12-18 hours a puff or two (a bowl or 2) is sufficient to releive psychosomatic effects and relax me nicely, relieving a sufficient amount of pain for a couple hours

fwiw i have insomnia problems

my old long term doc was fine with my use while my current kind of frowns upon it yet accepts that its helps without being a problem.

you'll always find me with a :D on my face when i'm stoned

imo weed is the BEST thing to have when coming off opis. It takes away my stomach pains, my anxiety and depression, and it brings back my appetite as well. I almost feel as if the w/d symptoms temporarily go away after I smoke a bit of bud, especially if it is some high potency shit

If I had my ways weed would be a maintainence drug for coming off of opiates. It is nowhere near as evil as methadone is ;)

I find sometimes this is the case with middies. Sometimes they'll make me think about/into a situation much more than I want to, and has more of a chance of leaving me feeling burnt out

This is not the case all the time though, merely some of the times. It also doesn't happen with high quality weed, only mids

I couldnt agree more. I think it is good for some and not so much for others. The higher potentcy pot is all I get unless I am cooking with it. Interesting fact: Most pot is harvested early and you will have a more cerebral head buzz. The later pot is harvested THC starts to turn into what's known as CBD. CBD is thought to produce more of a body buzz then THC. So I guess what I am getting at, the better pot is not going to be harvested early. Good pot is gonna have more of a body buzz and might make you feel a little bit stupid and starving:) and very relaxed. Everyone is different though. My girlfriend has tried pot several times and it has been a good indica strain and she just doesnt like the buzz. This is the first time I have used marijuana for medicinal purposes and not recreational only. For me I can not hardly eat anything when in withdrawal. I smoke a little pot and I can eat a little. For me when I cant sleep and just need to relax and escape for a little bit, pot does that for me. I will do whatever it takes to get off this shit, other than picking up a new addiction.

CBN not CBD, THC degrades to CBN, theres fuck all CBD in western cannabis to begin with, high CBD plants won't get you high which is why its been bred out of modern strains.

Cannabis has only helped me once during withdrawal and that was day 5 of cold turkey when I was over the worst of it.

I have smoked weed at night for 15 years now to relax. I have recently tapered my dose of opiates that I had been taking for a medical condition and have went through some terrible withdrawals My opinion some good green helps HUGE with wd's. Maybe not for everyone but it has helped me.

only if u are taking prescription doses [if ur addicted to em], weed can help...

if ur taking 200mgs a day of oxy and cant get ur dose one day, weed will help a little, but not nearly enough to make u want to get up and dance.