• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin I can't hit a vein...HELP!!!

heroin318

Greenlighter
Hello everyone,

Here is my dilemma, I'm 5'4" and about 240 lbs...basically a little chubby. In the past few weeks, I have been attempting to inject versus snorting. Oh...just to let you know...I'm new to a lot of the terms used nowadays (i.e. IMO, Subs etc.) so you'll have to bare with me a bit. I had a stint with heroin 12 years ago and just picked it up again within the past few months. At that time where I lived, you could get three to four good lines out of one bag. Now where I am, the bags and potency are not as good.

So...I have a co-worker who re-introduced me to my old friend and showed me the ropes on how to inject. Here are my problems that I would appreciate no joke, helpful answers to:

1) Due to my weight, I'm having difficulty finding veins. I have been bruising myself all over. With my physical condition, where would be the best places to inject and with out it being easily noticeable?

2) At times when I think I've hit a vein or if I actually do, I attempt to draw it back to see blood to ensure I hit the right spot. If I don't see blood on the first draw back, I take the steps of pulling the needle out slowly, moving it around, pushing it back in, drawing back some more, but I eventually end up pulling the needle out completely, then the blood goes into the needle and the spot bleeds, so I go back and try and miss completely and just inject it out of frustration. How do I get the draw to work properly or how do I do it properly so I know I've hit my mark?

3) My co-worker, when showing me how to do this, hit a vein on me, and it was difficult for him. He went through the standard way of injecting, drew back, found blood and injected. Within 10 seconds it hit me. Since then I have not been able to accomplish what he did. So, if I continue to attempt to find a vein without success, I end up hoping I hit one and inject, Most of the times I don't. I feel "good" but nothing like I remember and nothing like that day he helped me. So am I wasting the heroin if I don't hit a vein?

I apologize this is so lengthy, but I have been all over the internet and have not found any answers and my co-worker just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or how to help.

Eagerly waiting for responses via email,

herion318

geeze.... sorry your having troble but DONT inject unless your sure you are in a vain !!! must be sore if your not hitting a vain... the best advice i think i could give you is tie off at you bicep ans try to hit in the crook of you elbow even if you cant see or feel its there in both arms and most likely in the middle just go in at a 90 degree angle ..... i can no longer see my vains cause i fucked them up but i know were to put the needle ...once you find it you should be one happy camper ... but i must say your co-worker is a dick to get you back into this hell

Some times it's painful...other times it isn't. If I don't feel pain, and it bleeds, does that mean I hit a vein? I noticed that you typed "DONT" bold...is it bad to inject without the vein? I figured it would pretty much be like a person injecting steroids...they would still get the affect. I can't blame him. I'm an adult an could have said no. When you say a 90 degree angle, you mean straight down, or slightly angled?

I would have your friend help you out, and snort when you can't have him help you.

You can practice with sterile water, but that's all I would do for now. It takes a lot of tries to get the process of injecting by yourself down.

I think that the easiest veins to see on you will be ones you want to use a fine gauge needle for (31G ideally) - your hands/wrists. You might be able to see some veins in your arms but if not then your hands/wrists are probably best. Larger gauged needles won't work as well for these veins because they aren't that large to begin with.

There is also a good vein that runs down the top of your forearm, see if you can feel for it first with your fingers.

Make sure to be in a warm environment, with plenty of light to help you see.

if your not in the vain you must be getting abscesses missed shots are not good

heres a thread that should help you out alot its the IV mega thread.... http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=440892

be safe and you should really double think this do you really want to go down this path again ... i feel like you used to only sniff dope 12 years ago and seems like your co-worker got you to shoot ... im not trying to preach but picking up a needle can bring you down hill fast as i know .. on of my favorite saying "track marks lead you in the wrong direction fast"

Just do not get desperate and start digging for veins, especially since you are new at this. You could hit an artery. Like Captain H said, use ones that are clearly visible and a high gauge needle. Remember to be sterile with your procedure as well.

I would have your friend help you out, and snort when you can't have him help you.

You can practice with sterile water, but that's all I would do for now. It takes a lot of tries to get the process of injecting by yourself down.

I think that the easiest veins to see on you will be ones you want to use a fine gauge needle for (31G ideally) - your hands/wrists. You might be able to see some veins in your arms but if not then your hands/wrists are probably best. Larger gauged needles won't work as well for these veins because they aren't that large to begin with.

There is also a good vein that runs down the top of your forearm, see if you can feel for it first with your fingers.

Make sure to be in a warm environment, with plenty of light to help you see.

I heard that shooting into your wrist veins is VERY dangerous...

30roxi30 that link was very helpful thank you. I think I did originally dig for veins jackie, I'm guessing that is the cause of the intense bruising I have (which is now healing).

Thank you all

I heard that shooting into your wrist veins is VERY dangerous...

Shooting in the extremities is always more dangerous than not, for a variety of reasons. However there are similar risks whenever you choose to shoot period. It's hard to avoid any of them.

For someone who can't see their veins well, they are going to have the most luck in their hands/wrists. There are arteries close by, just like your groin and feet and neck (though people also use these even less desirable places for injection).

Captain...I see the veins best on the tops of my feet and wrists. I thought I hit a good one today on my foot, but again no blood on draw back. When I began to pull the needle out of my foot, blood starting going into the syringe and my foot bled, by then I had the needle practically out at that point. When it bleeds it means I hit a vein, right? Because I tried the vein on my bicep, and I can't get to it, when I pulled the needle out there was no blood.

i do not think just cuz theres blood when you take it out that you hit a vein. When u draw back n theres blood then u hit.When u said b4 that u got it good in your foot but the needle was almost out that woulda bin fine u shoulda just shot it then if it was still in. That happens to me alot when im about to take out the needle n im like oh shit blood so i stop n i shoot it doesnt matter how deep in ur skin is the needle.Anyways tho u should try avoiding the feet cuz if u miss ur foot will swel up like a baloon n it will hurt 2 walk.So u gotta make sure u hit when ur shooting there.N by the way it is dangerous to miss shots dont do it out of frustrauion cuz 1.its dangerous 2.you wont get high anyways its just a waste.

I cant really relate because I'm more on the anorexic side, but the trick is to go in at a shallow angle, if your going for the crook in the elbow. the vein is not deep, which is why when you pull all the way out a little blood goes through your rig. you're probably going through the vein. Also, sometimes you have to dig around a bit with rolling veins.

totach...see now my co-worker said even if i miss I'll still get high, it will just take longer, and when he told me that i looked it up on Wikipedia and it says that you will still get high, it will travel through the capillaries if you miss a vein, but you may lose some of the effect in the process versus right into the vein...I wondered why I wasn't getting that same feeling from the time he did it for me. I'm just getting so frustrated because I don't want it to be a waist, I'm bruised up from when I first started trying, they are now healing and I'm not bruising anymore for some reason, so I may be doing something right in that aspect...I think I'm going to take the advice of Captain.Heroin and resort back to snorting it for awhile and practice with sterile water injecting until I get it down...

Znegative when you say "shallow angle" what do you mean? Could you elaborate on that for me? I never thought I could be going through the vein...should I possibly not stick the entire needle all the way down, then try drawing back and seeing what happens? If I get blood, but the needle is only half way in, I can do what totach said...I thought this whole time the needle had to be ALL the way in. Maybe that is my entire problem right there.

by shallow angle he means instead of aiming down into your arm aim more parallel with your arm so the needle isnt going in as deep. most of the veins on your hand and arm are real close to the surface. make sure the hole is facing up also.

I would do what Capt. H said and get the smallest gauge you can find and hit in the top of your hand, tie off on your lower forearm and flex a bit. I have a heavier friend and that is the easiest way to hit him is in his hand. But make sure to use the smallest gauge needle and especially in the hand you need to go in at a very shallow angle.

try shooting an orange w/water. the key is feeling that second membrane. Go through the skin of the orange, and be very careful... work the needle gently until you feel the needle going through the skin of the actual fruit (the second layer of skin.) until you know what breaking through that second, delicate membrane feels like, don't jab yourself with a point. otherwise you'll end up black and blue, and shooting won't be worth the increased rush.

The orange method is how they taught nurses 40 years ago, but the method works like a charm.

There's also the possibility that IV just doesn't make sense for you. I had a larger friend, and she decided it was only worth it if someone with experience could do it for her.

maybe your body is just telling you to try a different method?

when i said waste i ment more like ur not gonna get the rush you are looking for. Its still going into ur body so lets say if u are sick it should help get rid of w/d's but dont expect to get "high" from a missed shot.By the way i also had to go thru what u r when i first started shooting .The secret was what someone said b4 when u put the needle in dont point it down try to go just alittle under ur skin or you will go right thru the vein.Also if u wanna practice just use water n draw back u dont need to inject the water(well that was kinda obvious but said it just incase).Another thing for me in the beggining it was alot easier for me to use the 5/16 needle tip as opposed to the half inch ones.

what about your femoral? my dealer was a huge (350+lbs) and that was the only vein she could hit.

Anybody can say no, but being around such a drug that pulls you back in isnt really cool at all, the smell... the taste... its what pulls u back no matter what...

just be careful.

To affasd - thank you, the hole pointed up, I didn't know you had to do that.

To Teonanactylln' - the orange thing is a GREAT idea. I'm going to try that. Getting the feel for that vein will help tremendously.

To totach - I don't even know what gauge this needle is...I have a diabetic friend who sells clean ones to me. It doesn't look like a half inch by eye, I'm going to measure an old one and see what it is. I just don't know where to buy them. The state I'm in, you need a prescription to buy needles. There the needle exchange places, but they are all up in the city and I don't have the time with the way my schedule is to run up there to exchange one needle for another every couple of days.

To fentfentfent - what is the femoral?