Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Taking tramadol after codeine

celsior

Greenlighter
Hi guys.

Now I know that it should be the other way around, but I've taken the codeine first. It's been 1,5hr after I took 100mg codeine. What'll happen if I take 1 or 2 50mg trams now?

Thanks in advance for any helpful input.

Hey celsior, welcome to bluelight

I'm far from the opiate expert in this forum and looking at the time of your post, I'm sure you have already dosed by now.

It's good to see you taking low doses and I can't see any problems other than the inherent dangers already associated with opiates and combining substances.

I have not tried this combo in that order. You may not get the same synergy as you do when you dose the tramadol first, but I can't speak from experience on this one.

I'm sure one of our resident opiate lovers will fill you in soon enough :)

I was given this combination when i broke my foot earlier in the year. There were no problems taking either one first, the only advice i was given was not to exceed the limit for paracetemol. The doc didnt seem at all worried about the opiates interacting.

^ problems would only arise if one was to take a larger dose than prescribed.

At the doses that your doc would have prescribed and those mentioned by celsior, the risks are minimal.

I was unfortunate enough to watch a guy go into seizures after dosing a large amount of tramadol in combo with codeine. This side effect is well documented with large doses of tramadol so go easy when it comes to heroic doses of this one

I was unfortunate enough to watch a guy go into seizures after dosing a large amount of tramadol in combo with codeine. This side effect is well documented with large doses of tramadol so go easy when it comes to heroic doses of this one

Do you reckon it was purely the large tramadol dose, & he would have likely seiz'd if he didn't take the codeine, or was it possibly the combination?

I only take lowish amounts of tram but I wonder if codeine potentiation that occurs between codeine and ttram means you can seiz on lower amounts of tram than expected.

Do you reckon it was purely the large tramadol dose, & he would have likely seiz'd if he didn't take the codeine, or was it possibly the combination?

I only take lowish amounts of tram but I wonder if codeine potentiation that occurs between codeine and ttram means you can seiz on lower amounts of tram than expected.

Good question. I honestly have no idea if the combination leads to a higher risk of seizures.

From memory, the guy dosed a few hundred mg of codeine, 300mg tramadol, followed by another 300mg tramadol about an hour later and finished it all off with a less than pretty horizontal seizure jig :\

codeine doesn't lower the seizure threshold, so in moderate doses both drugs are safe to take. though taking the tramadol after the codeine is going to lessen the metabolism of M1, the stronger metabolite from tramadol, as codeine is a CYP2D6.

Thanks to all of you guys for good input!

Now heres what I did and what happened:

2hrs after 100mg of codeine I dropped 100mg tramadol. After about 50min I could feel a slow and fairly weak tramadol high coming on. Remember, i was atm experiencing a moderate codeine high as well. A lil over 1hr after the tramadol I dropped an additional dose of 60mg codeine. About another 1 hour after that, I could feel a super smooth and very powerful morphine high coming on. But I didn't panic because somehow I also felt overwhelmingly calm and my respiration/pulse seemed fine, thankfully. All in all, I guess it was this kind of high I was chasing and just hope I get to feel the same way the next time I'll try this again.

I should mention I ate 2 dinners and drank a lot of water through these narcotic hours.

Like Psilo said, I think it's important when experimenting with combos and new drugs that one keep dosages low. I once tried 90mg codeine and 2mg valium in which I didnt get particularly high, but the hangover the next day was terrible. I felt weak like a kitten and I had racy heart all through the day. I also looked very pale when I woke up that day. Now, if I would have done my research properly I would've found out that there exists a golden rule about opiods and benzos and that is to never mix them.

The hangover today after taking trams/codeine today is not a hangover - it's more of a bonus, because I can still feel a faint, silky high. Anyway, thanks guys and stay safe.

Leftwing: Thank you for the more specific info about these opiods. I have read earlier posts about codeine and trams and every single, experienced user is saying that one should always take the trams first and then wait an hour or so.

Psilo: I don't think I'm taking dosages which could lead me into seizures. I once took 7 small trams (50mg) and this was too much for me, because I got twitching limbs, fever and I felt horrible the next day. Though I can't say I could feel seizures nearing. No codeine was involved but I guess if it was, yeah, maybe I would've gotten seizures. Thanks for the heads up, really.

Last edited:
codeine doesn't lower the seizure threshold, so in moderate doses both drugs are safe to take. though taking the tramadol after the codeine is going to lessen the metabolism of M1, the stronger metabolite from tramadol, as codeine is a CYP2D6.

oops, my bad, i was rushing out the door and left somethings out

codeine is a CYP2D6 inhibitor so taking any one will inhibit the codeines metabolism.

and then on the other hand CYP2D6 inducers will potentiate tramadol; ie - cimeditine

codeine doesn't lower the seizure threshold, so in moderate doses both drugs are safe to take.

My question relates to the potentiation that relates between the tram and codeine. People take this combination to potentiate the effects of codeine, BUT are the effects of tramadol also being potentiated and so the usual upper limits of safe useage for tram may be lower when used in combination.

as i said before codeine doesn't lower seizure threshold. but when adding two opioids together doses should be lowered as they will potentiate each other.

that's very simply put. codeine and tramadol are very interesting drugs when it comes to each individuals pharmacology.

there's more behind the "take two opiates together and they mess you up more" with the tramadol and codeine combo. there's a lot of information out there about both drugs so utilise the search engine.

Good question. I honestly have no idea if the combination leads to a higher risk of seizures.

From memory, the guy dosed a few hundred mg of codeine, 300mg tramadol, followed by another 300mg tramadol about an hour later and finished it all off with a less than pretty horizontal seizure jig :\

FWIW - I've taken much larger doses of tramadol and not had any side affects like that. So quite possibly - 300mg+ of codeine I think would have to have some compounding effect. <200mg of codeine I wouldn't be so concerned.

codeine is a CYP2D6 inhibitor

Is this correct?

So, codeine prevents the metabolism of codeine to it's subsequent metabolite(s)? Is codeine not just an opiate agonist? (mu, delta, sigma? - going from memory here so this maybe a bit off)

no, sorry, my wording was way off and incorrect and i didn't mean to say that.

to clear it up codeine is bioactivated by cyp2d6, so taking an inhibitor is going to impede on that demethylation into morphine.

and i was incorrect before where i said codeine doesn't lowe seizure threshold, all opiates do to an extent, but at the doses that are getting thrown around in here people are going to be fine, those prone to seizures most likely not so.

well dunno if this helps, but ive been having pain issues latley im on klopin 2.5-3 mg per day, also having no trouble doseing on like 90-120 mg codeine followed by @ least 100 mg of tramadol, sometimes il throw an oxy in the mix also (only 5-10 mg) up the nose or down the hatch. I should prob mention now that iv'e got quite a tollerence
Snortin the oxys comes on faster but swallowin em makes em last longer
as for seisures from tramadol, as far as i was aware this was only a danger in doses upward of 400 mg which is a heroic dose and imo not needed.
il also have a couple of drinks on any given day, so i think it would be safe to say in such small ammounts that OP is mentioning, shuld b fine.
But im no doctor or rocket chemist, best advice has already been said... start low :\

taking codeine first is definitely the best way to g9o. personally i'd make sure i'd dose around 300mg of codeine with an empty stomach... so important. then i would start dosing the tramadol about 1.5 hours after dosing the codeine. so i get the nice strong head feeling euphoria that codeine does so well, but because of its short action, combing with tramadol can last you a whole day of being opiated experience(no tolerance).

so how i dose tram after the codeine is say i took 300mg at noon, id then dose 100mg of tram at 1.30 then another 50mg at 2.o'clock... another 50 at 3pm and then a 100mg of tram at 4pm. tramadol has no euphoria, but i still respect it for its versatility. it has more legs than codeine... trams last me for 8=9 hours because i always dose in half-hour increments to help with efficient metabolising of the active ingredient to build up and be more potent. Tramadol also has a body load... sutl;e but when you consider codeine to have no body high what soever then its relatively ok... for instance... i find tram being able to avoid hard H or OC WD's, but codeine doesn't do shit... maybe 20mins of relief

overall codeine is the better recreation drug because of the euphoria, but tram has its uses in easing or avoiding WD and has a serotonin action, but in all honesty.... after a few weeks.... neitherIMO are any good for analgesia. just my 2cents, but with the mentioned regime... that would be a good experience for someone and would last 12 lush hours

5–7 hours is the half-life of Tramadol.

Hmm, I wonder, what if I were to replace my current medications with Tramadol? The problem is...which doctor will listen to me, in regards to the potential anti-depressant effects of Tramadol?

5–7 hours is the half-life of Tramadol.

Hmm, I wonder, what if I were to replace my current medications with Tramadol? The problem is...which doctor will listen to me, in regards to the potential anti-depressant effects of Tramadol?

This would be my dream come true. I've only had it overseas, but as I don't have contacts for most pharms I've never been able to enjoy it here. 100-200mg and I know I will have a terrific day