• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why can't I get high off heroin after taking suboxone?

jacob8969

Greenlighter
I have been taking suboxone for around 8 months now. I cut down from 16mg to 4mg. Every once in a while I'll wanna get high, however, no matter how long I wait after taking the sub, I can't feel a thing, not even a buzz. Even if I wait 3 or 4 days I wont feel shit. Is this normal?

I usually smoke heroin, I have never snorted it or shot it. I'm worried that the subs altered my brain chemistry making it so I can no longer get high off opiates. Can someone please explain to me what I can do to, if anything, to fix this problem? Has anyone else ever had this problem?

i'd assume it would be due in part (if not whole) to a cross-tolerance from the subs, which are used for tapering from opiates or negating withdrawal.. you couldn't expect to feel the same doses of heroin which you used to smoke , if you'd been using subs for 8 months

You'll need to wait 24-36 hours after your last suboxone dose to have any chance of getting a decent high off of a regular opiate/opioid; the buprenorphine binds more selectively than other opioids to your receptors, and the nalaxone certainly prevents the new high from reaching anything close to a 'nod.'

I'd suggest, in your case, reading the Suboxone Megathread (located in Other Drugs Forum) to get more information.

Good luck; I know it's frustrating.

~ vaya

If you where taking 16mg of suboxone for a while, it's a high dose. Buprenorphine is some strong stuff. I don't know what type of H you get but smoking is not very efficient, plus your tolerance is probably higher now.

Buprenorphine is 25-40x as potent as morphine.

yeah bupe is a very potent opioid, just by taking even 16mgs a day for awhile is going to sky rocket your tolerance to that of a top notch opiate addict, plus while your taking suboxone it blocks the effects, even if u stop for awhile u got a raised tolerance anyways due to its potency

IMO sub does change some peoples' brain chemistry. There's no doubt that 16 mgs for an etended period increased your tolerance. I'm convinced that if you take sub, then decide to go back to using,no matter what your doc, it's never quite the same. It's some really potent shyt in more ways than one.

IMO sub does change some peoples' brain chemistry. There's no doubt that 16 mgs for an etended period increased your tolerance. I'm convinced that if you take sub, then decide to go back to using,no matter what your doc, it's never quite the same. It's some really potent shyt in more ways than one.

Interesting theory; if I were a researcher (with access to the proper materials and self-restraint!) I might try to devise an experiment to test your hypothesis!

~ vaya

As mentioned before, my best guess would be because of your high dose of 16mg that may have greatly increased your tolerance. Its possible you would need a much higher dose of Heroin that you would usually take to get high. I f**ked up once and relapsed with OxyContin and I took a dose of 80mg and barely felt it and I was only taking 4mg.

It's been sugested that because of the potency of sub and the manner in which it acts, taking sub leads to an enormous increase in receptors. It could take quite awhile before you'll feel H after taking 16mgs of sub, given the half life can be up to 72 hours for some people.

Here is the deal, suboxone or buprenorphin, has a really high affinity for opiate receptors, which means it binds super close to the opiate receptors in your brain and body and don't wanna let go, bupe has a really long half life and heroin is a strong opiate but it's half life is a lot shorter than that of bupe/subs... So really bc u have been taking such a large dose of bupe, and u wanna get high, the only way to feel the high is to pretty much bring your self to a 7/10 in the withdrawl scale... Obstain from use till u start withdrawing pretty bad, and then shoot up(not too much, but an amount you would be used to) you should feel a great high and be happy, it's gonna be slower bc u don't inject but I think that you will be happy with the results after not being able to get high for a while!

I've Been there:)
Good luck an be safe.

Oh well, I just by accident ran across this post. And I have some crazy shit to lay on you all.

O.K. I don't know all that much about subs. I have used them, on an off, as a bridge, to get by till the next refill date. This last time using them has been bizarre though, to say the least, concerning my tolerance.

A little background to set the stage. First, two weeks ago, like clockwork I ran out 2 weeks early. I was around 500mg/day Oxy., so CT wasn't going to happen. I promptly started with subs. The initial dose was 2mg, twice daily. Like every time in the past, I immediately started a "mini WiD" just like always. This lasts 5 days and while not a full blown CT WD, it sucks none the less.

After 3 days at the initial dose, I dropped by one-half down to 1mg, twice a day. I remained on this dose for another 7 days. Then, this past Sat., I re-connected back with Oxy. And this is where it gets strange.

I first ate a Roxy 30 and quickly followed that with 2 more 30s, via rail. And to my surprise, this amount literally knocked me back with one heck of a buzz ! And I can't say when the last time that I felt a dose hit me like that, let alone a dose that small. And since then, my tolerance has continued to be lower. I haven't went over 175mg/day. And this is normally a starter dose.

But really what interests me the most. If the subs. could lower my tolerance, could I possibly CT from the subs., easier than the past OC WDs. I mean it don't seem reasonable, and if I was reading this I probably wouldn't believe it. But this is an accurate account of what happened. Anyone got any thoughts or comments?

Perplexed!!!!!!!!!!

i took aprox 2 mg suboxone on friday and about another 2 saturday. i'm not exactly sure when i could sniff a few bags of d and feel something? at this point its been almost 24 hours. all i was is a nod!!!

i think it is because suboxone has a pretty long half life so if uve bin taking 16mg a day which by the way is a shitload it would take more then 3 days of stopping for you to get high id say atleast a week. Even tho subs r really strong 4 me when i egt off them i actually hav a much lower tolerance.

Yeah, it's because half life is an exponential decay function, so if you've been taking 16 mg of suboxone every day for a long time, you will still have a fair amount left in your system, even after three days.

I'm with the post above.

I can understand wanting to get high everynow and then, but you're on suboxone, you're supposed to be getting past that. and I think the reason why I feel so strong about this is because of my friend Josh.

my friend Josh was on Suboxone, sometimes he'd take a break and stuff to get a buzz. well, one day during one of his breaks, he shot some dope and overdosed and died.

8 months and thats all u weaned?

4mgs is enough to block opiates for ATLEAST 48 hoursa

and especially because u have been on bupe for 8months

when you're not ready to quit, which this person obviously isn't. you're not gonna put much effort into actually trying to fully wean off of it.