• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Dreams Megathread vs We Need To Go Deeper

Yer mirtazpine gave me crazy dreams too.

Also Effexor too I think but not as much

I think Effexor actually let me lucid dream quite often and also gave me a better memory for dreams. unfortunately, if I remember correctly, I also had really boring dreams! This combined with the good memory made it confusing whether things happened in real life or if I just dreamed them lol

Oh I heard a little tip for lucid dreamers BTW. If your in a dream and it starts getting lucid (you start being able to control it) then often you concious brain starts to wake up and the dream ends. Apparently if you spin round on the spot in the dream while standing up then it helps you stay in the dream!

5-htp and ZMA (Zinc & Magnesium) seem to give me vivid dreams.

Effexor (venlafaxine) really messed up my sleeping patterns in a bad way; hugely vivid nightmares and sweating to the point where I'd have to get up and shower during the night and change my bedding as it was drenched. Remeron (mirtazapine) afected my dreams too but as it is also nice and sedating it wasn't as much of an issue as effexor.

Note there is absolutely no way I'd recommend taking effexor or remeron purely for the sake of altering your dreams though!!!

i had very vivid dreams when taking malarone. but a trip to a place with a high risk of contracting malaria is probably one of the less convenient ways to get intense dreams ;)

Keeping a dream journal everyday expands your recall quite a bit usually. In fact I gave up on dream journals because it got to be I was writing for almost a half hour every morning.

^Heh, sounds like a similar strategy to going over your last dream mentally as you fall asleep. One interesting effect I've noticed over the years of doing this is an increase in the number of dreams where dream environments that I am familiar with (and that I only realize I'm familiar with from within the dream) from past dreams play a role. For example, there's a whole dream city with a fairly static configuration of landmarks that is accessed for various dream narratives, similar to the way a map of something like Middle Earth is used to organize the narrative of Lord of the Rings.

There's also been a substantial increase in spontaneous dream memories being evoked at random throughout my waking days. You know how you catch a smell and suddenly you're flooded with memories associated with that smell? It's sort of like that: I get a "mood" consisting of some gestalt of sensations, and if I dwell on it dream images congeal and collate themselves from these vaporous feelings, often from dreams that I don't remember recalling even the morning after waking. Their first remembrance happens randomly in the future from meditating on the constellation of moods or "atmospheres" that that they employ.

seriously i said it before but i'm pretty sure no one paid any attention. when i fall asleep while having to piss, my dreams are SUPER-vivid.

Ginkgo Biloba has given me excellent clarity in dreams. I plan to get some asap.

If i have hazy, nonsense dreams i'll wake up in a pretty bad mood. With ginkgo i can remember my dreams & they're usually not depressing & foggy

I find i get weird and vivid dreams after i quit smoking cannabis, pretty much without fail.

recurring dreams

Does anyone else here have recurring dreams, if so, what are they?. I seem to have three main ones which pop up again and again. Perhaps there are even some interpreters here?.

The first one I always recognise as a nightmare as I'm experiencing it, thus prompting me to fight within the dream to wake up and escape the feelings it conjures up. In the dream I have a pet rat (sometimes it's a rabbit instead) which I keep in a cage in my bedroom. Every time, without fail, it escapes and I'm left running after it. Except as soon as it's within reach it multiplies like a Gremlin, and the room is overrun with the little critters. Then they generally turn nasty and start nipping etc.

The second one is a nice one. I often dream of a beach which is within a short walking distance to my house. Except in reality, there is no beach near my house. Every time I have the dream, I think to myself, "why don't I come here more often?".

The third one I find myself rushing to the airport (like in last nights dream), struggling to get all my stuff together at the last minute. There's always someone, or a group of people I'm supposed to be travelling with hurrying me along. They're clearly supposed to be friends of some sort, though oftentimes I don't know who the majority of them are. Maybe with the exception of my best friend who often pops up in this recurring dream. I usually manage to get there, but there's either a problem which prevents me from taking the flight, or I leave my passport at home.

The first "dream" is like my worst nightmare. (I have R word phobia)........
But it may be that there is something in your life that you have caged in a sense that has the potential to escape or a fear that if you let go of ,whatever it is, it can overwhelm you and the nipping would represent it being a bad overwhelm..........???

The beach one sounds nice :)
Maybe you need a little escape sometimes.

The last dream seems like you have this sort of hope to leave a situation but the passport being left is your tie to not get out of that situation.....?

I have had a few recurring dreams but haven't had any in a while.
The main one was that my "sister" (don't have one) and I were riding horses through this meadow that was lined by woods. We come through woods, into the meadow and we're going somewhere??? Then once we go through the meadow we get into the next woods- its like misty or foggy and someone appears on another horse and it scares my horse- I'm always wearing a burgundy or live a rich velvety red color (though sometimes the material is nice, sometimes its like cotton) and I fall off my horse but my sister gets scared and leaves. I'm obviously afraid by the person and I start running- I run into a church thinking I would be safe in the church and the person enters and comes and stabs me- then i would see myself bleeding on the floor and wake up- sometimes i would wake up right after the person entered the church- sometimes right when the stabbing was about to happen- it was weird. I haven't had it in years but i remember most details pretty clearly. The main color in the dream was that red color and black, grey, white and a little bit of blue.........oh and the green from the trees.

People say you don't dream in color, but I do......do others??

i have one about tornadoes all the time. in my dream, usually everything is calm and peaceful then, suddenly a tornado develops and theres chaos and panic while everyone runs away. the weird thing is, even though it sometimes it gets close, the tornado never reaches me.

I often dream of a beach which is within a short walking distance to my house. Except in reality, there is no beach near my house. Every time I have the dream, I think to myself, "why don't I come here more often?".

usually in dreams, your house represents yourself. my theory of this one is that the beach represents a part of you that your personality that exists and is great, but that you are not fuly utilising. like you are not living up to your full potential. does that make sense?

I've never really had them with the exception of one that was common during my childhood and another set of dreams that occurred recently.

The first set would always have me underwater and running out of oxygen. I would try to swim to the surface but never make it on time. Just as I'm about to gasp, I experience this sensation of breathing through my neck... pretty much like I have gills! This used to occur all the time and my mom used to joke that I must've been a fish in my past life. Enthralling :p

The other set began in early February. I had a series of dreams about me being pregnant. Each one was slightly different but they all had the same theme: pregnancy. This led me to pick up some tests at the store. I wasn't late and I was indeed taking birth control so I figured they would come out negative but my curiosity had been piqued by the dreams.

As pretty much everyone knows by now, they came out positive and I am now nine weeks pregnant =)

I think I'll start paying more attention to my dreams.

Also, here's a great dream dictionary: Dream Moods

i revisit some specific places (which don't actually exist) many times.

-i can't count how many times i've revisited a waterfront apartment complex which is practically all glass squares on the front, and the elevated units have a kind of floating pathway to private spas, some private pools in the air. there is a communal pool between the place and the natural water source. i always have an impression i have lived there before and want to move back in. wish fulfillment ftw!

-there is a kind of water theme park and ampitheatre and ajoining movie cinema which i have gone back to a few times. i would ride rollercoasters, watch concerts or movies here.

the only (kind of) negative reoccuring aspect of my dreams is i have a common problem where i have to go to the bathroom and can never seem to be able to find privacy. cubicles without doors aplenty. last week i was at a urinal and some bastard walked right in front of me. many years ago this situation would be quite distressing, but it happens so often that i am not so bothered by it any more. there is a meaning to it, something like fear of exposure in public, or a lack of confidence or something.

i have had several dreams about losing my incisor teeth. always from chewing gum and the gum pulling the tooth out. it doesn't hurt in the dream and its never bloody. it happens in all sorts of different situations too.

i think i visit places in dreams that are a mash up of real life places or roads. like i might be driving past the space needle and end up at a beach on lake erie.

I've had one recurring dream ever since I was 5. I've not had it for a few years now, but it's burned into my memory.

I'm with Dustin Hoffman (wtf?) and we standing in front of a large mountain made up of boulders. Perched on top is an egg; it's rotten, and it's teetering. I know that we have to climb the mountain to get this egg or else it will topple, crack and *something bad* will happen. It doesn't sound so bad, but it was actually a nightmare. There was music in it as well - "I Want to Know What Love Is".

The other recurring dream i've had (only about 4 times) was that a huge asteroid was hurtling towards Earth. The first part of the dream is all about everyone scrambling to get to safety, i'm trying to find my family, etc. Then the dream cuts to me, surrounded by millions of people, standing on a highway at night watching the asteroid as it heads towards us and hits... but it doesn't hit the actual earth, it breaks up in the atmosphere - and the dust that is created by the asteroid creates a telescopic effect - all of a sudden I can see into the deepest parts of the universe; galaxies, nebulae. It is one of the most profoundly moving dreams i've had - and whenever i've woken up from it, i want to climb on the roof of my house and scream that i am alive and have seen to the end of the universe, lol :D