• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dextromethorphan: Good or Bad???

Substance D seemed like meth to me. Robert Downey Jr.'s character has over articulating logorrhea like speed freaks tend to have and at the end of the movie the credits list PKD's familiars as having brain damage from methamphetamine abuse.

^ i've never heard/seen dxm hcl, sounds like a rip-off.
dxm has always been perfect for me, most other people i know don't like it, besides maybe one, but he always always pukes, but still enjoys it.

i love the feels like your wearing a hat but your not wearing a hat feeling.
and spatial wormhole running.

its very interesting at high doses, where you get to the point of living multiple realities in various environments, where you keep having these 1 minute miniature trips that seem to last a lifetime, or several lifetimes, thats AWESOME, but again, just once in your life.

i absolutely understand this.

DXM is my shit. I'm new to it but man this stuff is so awesome. DXM + Music is just so peaceful.

DXM is one of the compounds that can help a person navigate their way to personal truth. If taken in the wrong spirit, or mindset, it can be one of the hardest trips to deal with. High dose DXM bad trips are much harder to navigate than LSD or shroom mishaps, at least for me. But the other side of the coin is the potential for true enlightenment. The enlightenment does not come from the drug by itself, but rather, the synthesis of the compound and the participant's earnest and honest search for truth. DXM allows the mind to stretch itself to accomodate paradoxical concepts that are key to dealing with the Void. I was actually quite amused when I found that DXM, of all things, would be the compound that lead to my cathartic purging. I've tried just about every single psychedelic there is, and in copious quantity. But it was DXM that helped me realize that these drugs are an intelligence that interact with our own intelligence, and are not meant for purely hedonistic venture. They produce some euphoric effects to be sure, but again, this is incidental to the true value of these compounds. They are teachers, and as such, must be respected.

I liked DXM when I started taking drugs and had a lot of interesting trips with my friends. It's useful to get an idea of how a psychedelic experience would be like. Back then DXM wasn't very popular, but I wouldn't have minded if it was.

But it was DXM that helped me realize that these drugs are an intelligence that interact with our own intelligence, and are not meant for purely hedonistic venture. They produce some euphoric effects to be sure, but again, this is incidental to the true value of these compounds. They are teachers, and as such, must be respected.

What makes you believe that the intelligence you found is not a part of your soul, like a teacher you meet in your dreams? The teacher in your dream can outsmart your everyday self, too.

I really cannot understand why people cannot separate the effects of cough syrup (massive amounts of glucose, dyes, all sorts of unfavorable shit) from DXM itself.

I also do not understand DXM abuse or using it for recreation. It is a very dark and profound introspective tool. Some of my deepest experiences have been with DXM. It is one of my favorite drugs of all-time, and my favorite substance of my favorite class of drugs (dissociatives). It was my first foray into my mind, yet I still have experiences years later that have not eclipsed those first DXM trips... My last trip was some time in August. As much as I love it, it requires a lot of investment. I simply do not have the time to trip on it these days, and have been tickling my NMDA receptors with ketamine in the interim.

DXM is one of the compounds that can help a person navigate their way to personal truth. If taken in the wrong spirit, or mindset, it can be one of the hardest trips to deal with. High dose DXM bad trips are much harder to navigate than LSD or shroom mishaps, at least for me. But the other side of the coin is the potential for true enlightenment. The enlightenment does not come from the drug by itself, but rather, the synthesis of the compound and the participant's earnest and honest search for truth. DXM allows the mind to stretch itself to accomodate paradoxical concepts that are key to dealing with the Void. I was actually quite amused when I found that DXM, of all things, would be the compound that lead to my cathartic purging. I've tried just about every single psychedelic there is, and in copious quantity. But it was DXM that helped me realize that these drugs are an intelligence that interact with our own intelligence, and are not meant for purely hedonistic venture. They produce some euphoric effects to be sure, but again, this is incidental to the true value of these compounds. They are teachers, and as such, must be respected.
I think I would have a harder time on a psychedelic than a dissociative if the trip turned sour, but otherwise, your thoughts echo mine entirely, soul brother/sister. =D

Last edited:
DXM absolutely changed my life. The most profound and comforting experience Ive ever had. Period. I feel a welling up of emotions when I reflect on my DXM days... I cant go back though. Not until these visual disturbances caused by it go away

I don't trust DXM one bit.

I also don't get very nice effects from it but even when taking into account that others do it is just too much of a wildcard to me plus dissociatives are dangerous as a class IMO. If not only for the addiction potential or that dissociating removes you from everything and it can be expected to be troublesome for remaining hinged into reality or an integrated personality.

That said concerns about Olney's lesions and other things mentioned by William White have been disproven for a significant part. I have a friend who is a big fan of the stuff and uses it a lot saying it has the most therapeutic value to him of every drug. It seems he can handle it well but I am not really convinced that he is not in some way addicted or dependent.

i took a medium sized dose once and liked it while "high" but towards the end i started feel like shit....most likely wouldn't do it again

Solipsis, your theory about dissociatives causing a disconnect from reality doesn't really hold true unless the person has become psychologically dependent and started doing them too frequently.

@darkmatter77:

Its easy to assume all perceived intellect stems from ourselves. That's just the ego talking. CLearly there exists a first cause intellect, a first intelligence, that supercedes man. Man is focus point of self awareness and intellect, and as such, tends to mistake himself for God. It didn't go Man - God, it went God - Man. God was here first. I've used just about every avenue of ascension I could find because for the longest while I was under the assumption that it was a foregone conclusion that we are to inherit godhood, and therefore we must be gods. However, I was shown that there is in fact a separateness, a betweeness, if you will, that is the spirit of the thing. That betweeness is occlusion, and it is, I believe, our greatest blessing.

Think of it this way. The music is not the notes. Its the space between the notes. The language is not the ink on the page, its the ideas contained within the interaction between the symbol and its interpreter. These spaces between, where the magic dwells, are gifts of occlusion from God.

Or maybe I'm just an overdosed schizoid that's finally gone crazy!

Peace.

I just finished another great MDMA night, even plugged it, which I have never done before. All there is to say is WOW.

Earlier this morning, as I was coming off the roll, I went and bought 2 bottles of robo and I drank one of them. I have no idea why I did this- was just being spontaneous I guess. 40 minutes, I was feeling it. I have done it before, but I have never felt anything even remotely close to this. It didn't take long after that to hit me hard, and right now i and tripping hard. At first I got nauseous and threw up twice. After I started sweating, breathing heavily, and my body temperature skyrocketed. I started to think that I made a very poor choice, but after a few moments I started feeling great again, and I still am.

As I said, I have never felt this way off of DXM- this is much different. I have always taken it by itself though- never before, during or after MDMA or any other substance.

I started righting this short blurb 6 hours ago, and I am just posting it now- hopefully that can paint a picture of where I've been today. Having a great time.

sounds like a mild case of serotonin syndrome. could have been worse. be careful in the future, bud, and welcome to bluelight. :)

I dislike dissociatives, nitrous used to be ok but now give me headaches. i would consider doing ketamine again because it lasts way shorter than dxm which i will never do again because i dont want to be dissociated that long. but i am not really a fan of this class of drug, though i admit they have some very interestring effects.

DXM, when I first experimented at the age of 15/16, was an incredible experience. I had previously tried LSD, mushrooms, benzos, weed, etc...

But DXM was unique. It allowed me to visually manifest my goals.

I had always been underweight and I was VERY self conscious of it. I took some DXM (maybe 400mg) and watched myself turn into a body builder.

After tripping DXM many times (maybe 40-50), but MUCH less than other friends (100-200 DXM trips in the same period over 1-2 years)... now I just get nauseous and it's not an enjoyable experience for me.

My advice is to space it out big time. Losing the magic sucks!

-b