• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids generic versions of OC's will still be like the old name brand OC's I beleive

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavisK4high247

Bluelighter
Since the drug company that makes the name brand OxyContin's most likely patented the new formulation,this means that generic versions of OC's like oxycodone extended release tablets will be like the old name brand OC's in the way they are formulated.I do not see the Pharmacuetical company that makes name brand OxyContins allowing all these genric made oxycodone extended release pills on the market to make the newly formulated pill ,since they will make a lot more money with the name brand version versus the lose in sales since OxyContin became available in generic versions of the old version.I think that until the payent expires in 7 or 10 years or however long they last for medicines,that only the Name Brand OC's will have the new formulation,and until then the old formulation will be available still as a generic.

I didn't think that any generic OCs were being made anymore. Check out the 1st page of the OC megathread.

There will never be a generic version of Oxycontin. At least here in Canada anyway. It's not the drug Oxycodone that they Purdue holds the patent for. It's the *delivery system* that they hold patent to.
It's just like sublingual Adivan. That delvery system was patented in the 1950 or 60s and still holds true today.

OxyContin went generic in the US a number of years ago.I was prescribed OC's until 2006 and always got name brand OC's but in 2006 and 2007 i ntoiced 2 or 3 different genric versions of OxyContin..the delivery system also is patented and runs out after a numer of years..they make oxycodone extended release tablets I have had that are idnetical to OxyContin's that I has that were the name brand ones except for different pill ID numbers and things they were exactly the same.Xanax came out in the early 1980's and now there are multiple generics of xanax aka alprazolam..A drug formulation is patented and runs out after a while.Read more about phamacueticals before you make statements that are wrong.My cousin is a pharmacist/owns a pharmacy and I have studied Pharmacology and have only a few years left to be a Doctor of Phamacology.lol...maybe Canada is different but in the United States pharmacuticals have a patent life that expires after 10 years I think...

I was just thinking about this only a moment ago. Whoever comes out with a ER Oxycodone, whether generic or a new brand name, will get rich. It doesn't take a genious to figure out that everyone wants a formulation which will be the most like the original OxyContin, or the Watson 'ABG' generics, which were exactly like the Purdue's. And I'm not just referring to abusers, but anyone who uses ER Oxycodone. From the anecdotal evidence I've seen so far, the new OP formulation is not very popular among legitimate users/patients either. The general concensus seems to be that the new tablets are all around not as effective as the old ones. This, in my mind suggests that they won't last, and will be replaced, but I guess time will tell.

Abuse proof= efficacy reduction+harm infliction. This is no good for anyone.

thats all I ever see people with these days..

I didn't think that any generic OCs were being made anymore. Check out the 1st page of the OC megathread.

I never see anyone at the pharmacy,where I work while not at school,my cousin is a pharmacist and also owns the pharmacy,and I am in college for Pharmacology,about 2 years I will have a Doctorate in Pharmacology.Anyway we have name brand OC's but here(in the United States), many insurance companies allow a generic to be prescribed unless written by the doctor on the script "BRAND NAME DRUG ONLY"..The generic versions of OxyContin cost a fraction of the price and most brands are exactly like OxyContin in there "delivery system" which lost it's patent protection several years ago or so.The newly formulated OxyContin's will be patented,but the generic versions will remain of the old delivery system,which are the generics available for the past number of years.These generics cannot use the name OxyContin becasue the name is trademarked for longer than the drug patent lasts,but instead these pills go by the "generic" or chemical IUPC name of oxycodone extended release or time released tablets.Vicodin was once a patented brand name for hydrocodone with acetaminophen.The name is still owned by the original company but now there are 5 or 6 at least generic equivelants to Vicodin,under names like hydrocodone with apap(acetaminophen) 5/500 and so on.

They already have multiple versions of oxycodone ER..

I was just thinking about this only a moment ago. Whoever comes out with a ER Oxycodone, whether generic or a new brand name, will get rich. It doesn't take a genious to figure out that everyone wants a formulation which will be the most like the original OxyContin, or the Watson 'ABG' generics, which were exactly like the Purdue's. And I'm not just referring to abusers, but anyone who uses ER Oxycodone. From the anecdotal evidence I've seen so far, the new OP formulation is not very popular among legitimate users/patients either. The general concensus seems to be that the new tablets are all around not as effective as the old ones. This, in my mind suggests that they won't last, and will be replaced, but I guess time will tell.

Abuse proof= efficacy reduction+harm infliction. This is no good for anyone.

You are correct,the watson abc oxycodone pills are extended release,and there are several other genrics also,but the abc pills are exactly like the Purdue Phama OxyContin's ,or the original formulation that is.Purdue has patented the new pill and it's delivery system,so generics of the new formulation will not come out till the patent expires,and the generics that are in use now will still be available,especially since they are a fraction of the price of the name brand OC's.And Purdue Pharma is most likely doing this new OC system becasue they are not able to sell OC's like they did while under patent at the higher prices.The genrics which will have the original OC pill drug delivery system will still be available and will most likely be prescribed still by doctors to patients because of the much lower cost.When writing a script in most states,the pharmacist is allowed and encouraged by insurance companies to fill a drug when a generic is available except if the doctor writes on the script "MUST FILL WITH NAME BRAND DRUG" or something similar..

OxyContin went generic in the US a number of years ago.I was prescribed OC's until 2006 and always got name brand OC's but in 2006 and 2007 i ntoiced 2 or 3 different genric versions of OxyContin..the delivery system also is patented and runs out after a numer of years..they make oxycodone extended release tablets I have had that are idnetical to OxyContin's that I has that were the name brand ones except for different pill ID numbers and things they were exactly the same.Xanax came out in the early 1980's and now there are multiple generics of xanax aka alprazolam..A drug formulation is patented and runs out after a while.Read more about phamacueticals before you make statements that are wrong.My cousin is a pharmacist/owns a pharmacy and I have studied Pharmacology and have only a few years left to be a Doctor of Phamacology.lol...maybe Canada is different but in the United States pharmacuticals have a patent life that expires after 10 years I think...

There were several generics around a while ago, maybe the years you are saying. All those ABGs and thanksfully Tevas and Endos are now a thing of the past. So Oxycontin did indeed go generic but it was not fir good.

^So the generics are still available? Like the ABG's and what not? Then what is everyone complaining about? Why not pay less at the pharmacy, and get a generic similar to if not just like the old OC's?

I also believe that in addition to the new abuse proof tablet, Purdue will at some point re-introduce the old brand name formulation as a generic ER version of their own. Kind of like how Watson makes brand name 'Norco 539' but they also offer the generic 'Watson 853.' Both are the exact same pill with different markings.

Edit: Alright, wait now, I'm confused by the conflicting reports. Is there generic ER Oxycodone available right now or not?

there are already multiple generic version of OxyContin available in the US.Purdue Pharma holds that patent for the drug delivery system for about 10 years before it went generic.Purdue still owns the trademark name OxyContin,but oxycodone extended release is the name in generic terms for OxyContin.The new OC's and the new pill formulation will be patented for 10 years ,in the US anyway.And by the way it is spelled Ativan , generic for lorazepam...lol..you need to learn what you are talking about before talking like an idiot about things you have no clue about.I do not know about Canada,but in the US,thats how it works as i described above.Also if you do not believe me look it up somewhere.I work in a pahrmacy owned by my cousin who is the pharmacist,and I am 2 years from a doctorate in Pharmacology.lol...Pharmaddict you sir are in need of some studying before you can dispute me.As far as the US goes,maybe in Canada you are stuck with no generics,but Purdue Pharma is a US company and i know the laws and the pharmacology does not change regardless of the differce in laws..Pharmacology does not change by nation to nation.

Yes there are already oxycodone ER versions available in the US since at least 2005

^So the generics are still available? Like the ABG's and what not? Then what is everyone complaining about? Why not pay less at the pharmacy, and get a generic similar to if not just like the old OC's?

I also believe that in addition to the new abuse proof tablet, Purdue will at some point re-introduce the old brand name formulation as a generic ER version of their own. Kind of like how Watson makes brand name 'Norco 539' but they also offer the generic 'Watson 853.' Both are the exact same pill with different markings.

I think they will also.People are tripping out needlessly,unless in Canada they do not have generic drugs,this I do not know.But in the US we sure do,and thats the problem for Canadian OC users if they cannot get generic versions like we have...
Edit: Alright, wait now, I'm confused by the conflicting reports. Is there generic ER Oxycodone available right now or not?

yes at least 3 in our pharmacy that we carry,in the US.I owrk there and am 2 years shy of being a DR.of Pharmacology.I think they will also.People are tripping out needlessly,unless in Canada they do not have generic drugs,this I do not know.But in the US we sure do,and thats the problem for Canadian OC users if they cannot get generic versions like we have...

Sorry we have generic versions in our pharmacy.

There were several generics around a while ago, maybe the years you are saying. All those ABGs and thanksfully Tevas and Endos are now a thing of the past. So Oxycontin did indeed go generic but it was not fir good.

sorry but we still carry generic versions of OC in the pharmacy..someone is telling a lot of bullshit to people.

A sample of generic OC's made by Purdue Pharma ...lol...

Rx Only

Distributed by
ETHEX Corporation
St. Louis, MO 63044

302193-0A
Rev 06/2009

Oxycodone Hydrochloride 10 mg Bottle

NDC 58177-677-04 CII

Oxycodone Hydrochloride

Controlled-Release Tablets

10 mg

100 Tablets Rx Only

ETHEX ETHEX

Oxycodone Hydrochloride 20 mg Bottle

NDC 58177-679-04 CII

Oxycodone Hydrochloride

20 mg

100 Tablets Rx Only

ETHEX ETHEX

Oxycodone Hydrochloride 40 mg Bottle

NDC 58177-681-04 CII

Oxycodone Hydrochloride

40 mg

100 Tablets Rx Only

ETHEX ETHEX

Oxycodone Hydrochloride 80 mg Bottle

NDC 58177-683-04 CII

Oxycodone Hydrochloride

80 mg

For use in opioid-tolerant patients only

100 Tablets Rx Only

ETHEX ETHEX

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/pro/oxycodone-er.html#ixzz0yDhV1gGB

Last edited:
The point that should be made is that the current crop of generics that are on the market are made by Purdue and then distributed by Ethex. Assuming that the delivery method will still be available, why would Purdue continue to make two versions of its on medicine?

The Ethex generics will start to look just like the Purdue brand. Besides, not all pharmacies were ordering the generics, anyway. So some consumers never even were aware that the distribution system was in effect.

sorry but we still carry generic versions of OC in the pharmacy..someone is telling a lot of bullshit to people.

I'm just speaking from what I have seen, and I am in the US.

I don't deal with pharmacies and am not even doing them anymore but I distinctly remember all the generic's contracts expiring and/or forced to stop production due to lawsuits years ago. After I read that on BL (or anoter site maybe), I slowly started seeing less and less of them until all I ever got were Perdues (or something that looks identical).

If I may ask, who makes the generics you got in your pharm?

Just some wiki-info -

Purdue has multiple patents for OxyContin, but has been involved in a series of ongoing legal battles on the validity of these patents. On June 7, 2005, the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit upheld a decision from the previous year that some of Purdue’s patents for OxyContin could not be enforced.[21] This decision allowed and led to the immediate announcement from Endo Pharmaceuticals that they would begin launching a generic version of all four strengths of OxyContin.[22] Purdue, however, had already made negotiations with another pharmaceutical company (IVAX Pharmaceuticals) to distribute their brand OxyContin in a generic form.[22] This contract was severed, and as of October 2005 Watson Pharmaceuticals became the exclusive U.S. distributor of Purdue-manufactured generic versions of OxyContin tablets in 10-, 20-, 40-, and 80-milligram dosages.[23]

On February 1, 2006, the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals issued a decision revising its June 7, 2005, decision.[24] This time the court vacated the lower court's "judgment that the patents-in-suit are unenforceable due to inequitable conduct," and the case was "remanded for further proceedings."[24]

Purdue Pharma has since announced resolution of its infringement suits with Endo,[25] Teva,[26] IMPAX,[27] and Mallinckrodt.[28] Endo and Teva each agreed to cease selling generic forms of OxyContin.[25][26] IMPAX negotiated a temporary, and potentially renewable, license.[27] In 2008, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals reintroduced generic OxyContin in the strengths of 10 mg, 20 mg, 40 mg and 80 mg, which was made possible by a temporary royalties-bearing license with Purdue Pharma that expired in 2009.[28]

I personally haven't seen a generic OC in years either.

was there really a point in reviving this thread? We already have a thread about the Ethex generics that are the same as the old OC's, imprint and everything.......

i have presciption for the generic oc and the pharmacy is telling that they don't have any generics, what do i do

Status
Not open for further replies.