• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Chronic Pain MEGA Thread

Oh yea, I'm upset! My pharmacist is totally cool, I'll miss her!

I've been thinking and posting for some time about my low dose oxys not working anymore. I wanted to try marajuana. Well, I looked online and found that Marinol is quite legal in all 50 states. It's available AT my pharmacy.

I asked that dickhead if he would prescribe it. At first, he acted like he didn't know what it was. When I told him he said it was lllegal. I calmly explained, no it wasnt. He said he would lose his license. Finally he just said he wouldn't prescribe it.

I told hI'm about painkillers being made to build tolerance, cause rebound opiate related pain and how much $ I've waisted not to be any better off, actually worse. I was crying in pain and frustration! My BP was 169/95!

Basically he said (again a lie) that the DEA won't allow Dr's to prescribe more than 10mg oxy IR and 10mg oxy ER!

I can't believe it.

Wow!! Your doctor sounds like so many doctors (and pharmacists) these days... scared shitless of the DEA. I think they lie b/c they it is hard for them to admit they are scared.... what happens then is that all of us who are patients are left not being treated properly. Things are a mess! I remember reading about your pain issues... they are very serious... you definitely would not be able to feel much relief at the dosages your doctor mentioned.

Are there any other pain management doctors in your area?

You should move to Colorado...then you could get all the marijuana and marijuana type medication you want.

Wow!! Your doctor sounds like so many doctors (and pharmacists) these days... scared shitless of the DEA. I think they lie b/c they it is hard for them to admit they are scared.... what happens then is that all of us who are patients are left not being treated properly. Things are a mess! I remember reading about your pain issues... they are very serious... you definitely would not be able to feel much relief at the dosages your doctor mentioned.

Are there any other pain management doctors in your area?

You should move to Colorado...then you could get all the marijuana and marijuana type medication you want.

There are other Dr's in my area but no good ones take uninsured patients.

Yea, I'd love to live in CO. I'm a big John Denver fan lol!!!!

<snip>

I am sorry for you son-in-law's situation - horrible!

This discussion violated BLUA and is not permitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip>

I am sorry for you son-in-law's situation - horrible!

This discussion violated BLUA and is not permitted.

That's just criminal!! I think our govt. is OFF THE RAILS people!! Get out and vote!

Sorry, I'm not turning my reply into a political diatribe, <snip>. Good luck.

<snip>
This fringes on sourcing and is not permitted per BLUA.

Please consider this an official warning and any similar posts will result in an infraction. I am sorry for your situation.

^Moreaux, I felt so sorry do this guys situation so just left it un responded.

Good on you for at least <snipping> lol, in a delicate manner.

It is a terrible situation & I know mrpeabody isn't the only one wanting help with pain relief that the drs just won't give.

Fuck, in terminal cases,(even in the US), you'd think they'd give a man anything that makes him comfortable, & some kind of dignity as well.

Shitty, shitty, scaredy cat doctors. Please don't give up advocating for your son in law Mrpeabody. Others may be able to help you here without stepping outside the guidelines.

It's also a helpful community to vent & find understanding within various forums.

Rtp ❤️

^Moreaux, I felt so sorry do this guys situation so just left it un responded.

Good on you for at least <snipping> lol, in a delicate manner.

It is a terrible situation & I know mrpeabody isn't the only one wanting help with pain relief that the drs just won't give.

Fuck, in terminal cases,(even in the US), you'd think they'd give a man anything that makes him comfortable, & some kind of dignity as well.

Shitty, shitty, scaredy cat doctors. Please don't give up advocating for your son in law Mrpeabody. Others may be able to help you here without stepping outside the guidelines.

It's also a helpful community to vent & find understanding within various forums.

Rtp ❤️

We'll said RTP!!!

I know this topic is old, but I've suffered from Chronic Pain and was on opiates for a decade. In my opinion, it's not worth it if you can avoid it. When you start young (20 for me) and if you have a high baseline tolerance to drugs, the 10 year opiate cycles looks like this. Month 1 = OMG! THIS is so much better. Month 2-6 = Ah. It's not working as well, but it still helps. Month 6-12 = It's gradually getting less effective even as I increase my dose and switch to stronger opiates. Year 1-5: Dosages increase, efficacy goes down. Year 6-8: Hyper-algesia sets in. Body completely looses receptors sites on Mu Opiate Receptor destroying the body's built in pain relief system and endorphin matrix. Not sure if the meds are helping or hurting. Year 9-10: You're now a drug addict with ten years of dependance on so much that either doctors won't increase your dose or you're going to die. Meds are clearly hurting at this point. They provide no relief and actually trigger withdrawal even at insanely high doses. You're now backed against a wall. No way out but through. People here will tell you withdrawl from a massive opiate habit is the worst thing they've ever experienced. Withdrawl from a massive opiate habit on top of your chronic pain, is a whole other beast. I've just recently gotten through mine. It wasn't a 2 week thing. PAWS were crippling, pain sky-rocketed for 6 months, and I still don't feel ok. If I could go back and tell 20 year old me not to take the meds. I would in a heart beat.

Some people don't have this experience, but I think most men that start young and have real, intense chronic pain are more likely in my camp than the lifetime solution camp.

^I completely empathise with you! Even though I've thought of this, dreamt of this, there is no where to go once you've reached the top of what PMs are happy to prescribe.

Yet our tolerance continues to rise. What can we do?

The medical community made Cpp's dependant on opiates for a lifetime, yet once we get into the high range, they get uncomfortable.

We get sick...

Well worded

Rtp xx

Shroomy, I left u a msg over at the chronic pain thread dude.

Feel for ya,

Rtp❤️

Last edited:
I finally started swimming again and in three days I already am able to move much better. Still in pain but much less intense.

Well even if you can't swim, you can get a lot of stretching and relaxation from a pool. The pool at my gym has kickboards and other flotation things you can use and sometimes I do lunges and arm exercises in the shallow end. At my age it just feels so good to be able to exercise without stressing my joints further. I need to follow your lead, though, and do yoga.

:) SO TRUE, Herby!

Swimming laps is my salvation. Otherwise, I would have been immobile long ago. The statement of "A body at rest stays at rest, but a body in motion stays in motion" is very true.

Non-stop "un-managed" pain cripples my mind and body. I can empathize.

At age 35 (now 55) I couldn't swim a lick. My young niece taught me how to swim, though I feared water horribly.

I quickly learned how healing the water can be, without torturing my eroding joints.

Shroomy...Try the pool for strengthening, even with pool weights/exercises. It will get you "out of yourself" and help you to cope with your pain and depression.

I tried Pilates, but couldn't handle it. Yoga is good for my mind and body, too.

My life is a constant shit storm. It seems like I'm the family "cleaner". Can't lie...MUCH of my stress and teeth clinching could be relieved by going Negan/Lucille on some mofos! :!

Last edited:
^Be careful when dosing with high amounts of tumeric--my husband had a reaction like he was on speed when he took too much--jittery, couldn't sleep at night etc. So, moderation at first--especially if you have panic attacks.

Here is a drink I had once that was delicious:tumeric 'tea' made from fresh ground tumeric and heated fresh orange juice. They mixed the tumeric into a paste with a tiny bit of honey and then added the heated orange juice. It was soooo good!

Really? Thanks for letting me know. There was mention of it recently in Ecstasy Discussion - some people were saying it has mild MAOI properties. That could be why eh? I was going to abuse the hell out of turmeric so thanks for letting me know : p

Oh I'm totally trying that. The supplement tastes awful, but I feel like it's important to have it in cooked food, and also fresh. I'll mix it with some orange juice with pulp and heat that stuff up with a touch of honey. Thanks for the tip... I hate bad tasting supplements, and turmeric isn't my favourite taste although I do like curry.

So my back pain has been a lot better since I've been starting to sleep well. I forgot how important getting at least 8 hours of rest each night is, for my chronic spinal pain. It cuts way down on my pain levels when I get really good rest, and that just hasn't been the case for a while since I've been more caught up in chasing drugs for pain relief. Sleep is extremely important and cuts way down on my pain. Also... the turmeric is totally helping. Pineapple too. I just need to go get more orange juice so I can try herbavores recipe, as powdered turmeric doesn't taste all that nice on its own.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying mama,

Wish I lived in a state where pot was legal, I sure need one after that debate!! Lol! I'm so square in terms of recreational drugs I couldn't tell the difference between one strain vs another!

I just can't see paying $300 a month for my Dr and meds that aren't even working!!! I have to find a new solution.
Hey Plum, have you asked your doc for cheek swab dan test to discover which meds will be most potent at small doses for you? That solved my chronic pain problem. Before that I was on morphine which should have done the trick (right?), but it didn't. The dNa test showed that methadone was the one for me, and life has been worth living again :) And I'm on a tiny dose! As for weed, I thought it helped a lot until I quit using all THC and I realized that weed was doing nothing but clouding my brain. Sure the first day my neck hurt worse, but after that I was fine :)

^I would say the exact same thing about THC. All it does is cloud my brain, and set me off course in life. It does nothing whatsoever for my excruciating chronic pain problems, and causes serious side effects that are often overlooked. It's just bullshit in my opinion (sorry if I offended anyone). I just think that it doesn't really have any valid medical use apart from rare cases such as glaucoma or AIDS. People just like to get stoned, that's my opinion on it after spending 13 years smoking cannabis on and off and experiencing various health problems along the way, none of which were helped by THC. I think that a lot of it is just marketing and greed, with all the different strains and all, when really there is only one thing that affects the mind significantly - THC. I know this because I had 99.9% pure THC-A to dab, and it just got me feeling stoned like any normal joint would. Anyways, to each their own but I am sure as hell happy I quit that shit! I'd never be practicing so much guitar and aspiring to be a professional musician if I was still getting stoned and feeling burnt out and distracted by a silly weed all day. It was really easy to quit weed... I just stopped and didn't have a single craving because I knew it was just bullshit for me.

Ever since I started taking my oxycodone as prescribed, I would say my pain levels down 60% at least. And this is from a very low dose. I am wondering how many people actually take their meds as prescribed - because when I do, all I ever see are benefits. I experience no side effects apart from a little constipation. I will never take an extra pill again so long as I live, and I will never take my pain management for granted. I had to withdraw from a heavy habit as I got out of control, but now that I am at my prescribed dose and stable for a while in terms of pain at least (not mental illness haha), my pain level is drastically reduced. This stuff saved my life, it really did. I couldn't function without it... but I'm just 'dirty' right? I need to get clean 8(

The stigma against these drugs is really starting to infuriate me. People point the finger at the drugs or the doctors when it's always the individual choosing to abuse them for euphoria. I have been there, and it was so fucking miserable I could never be tempted to go back.

^I would say the exact same thing about THC. All it does is cloud my brain, and set me off course in life. It does nothing whatsoever for my excruciating chronic pain problems, and causes serious side effects that are often overlooked. It's just bullshit in my opinion (sorry if I offended anyone). I just think that it doesn't really have any valid medical use apart from rare cases such as glaucoma or AIDS. People just like to get stoned, that's my opinion on it after spending 13 years smoking cannabis on and off and experiencing various health problems along the way, none of which were helped by THC. I think that a lot of it is just marketing and greed, with all the different strains and all, when really there is only one thing that affects the mind significantly - THC. I know this because I had 99.9% pure THC-A to dab, and it just got me feeling stoned like any normal joint would. Anyways, to each their own but I am sure as hell happy I quit that shit! I'd never be practicing so much guitar and aspiring to be a professional musician if I was still getting stoned and feeling burnt out and distracted by a silly weed all day. It was really easy to quit weed... I just stopped and didn't have a single craving because I knew it was just bullshit for me.

Ever since I started taking my oxycodone as prescribed, I would say my pain levels down 60% at least. And this is from a very low dose. I am wondering how many people actually take their meds as prescribed - because when I do, all I ever see are benefits. I experience no side effects apart from a little constipation. I will never take an extra pill again so long as I live, and I will never take my pain management for granted. I had to withdraw from a heavy habit as I got out of control, but now that I am at my prescribed dose and stable for a while in terms of pain at least (not mental illness haha), my pain level is drastically reduced. This stuff saved my life, it really did. I couldn't function without it... but I'm just 'dirty' right? I need to get clean 8(

The stigma against these drugs is really starting to infuriate me. People point the finger at the drugs or the doctors when it's always the individual choosing to abuse them for euphoria. I have been there, and it was so fucking miserable I could never be tempted to go back.
I too am so happy that I learned to not abuse opiates. And about the weed, it's funny you mention guitar because that is one of the greatest aspects of my quitting THC was that I have begun to practice my jazz chords daily!

Introduce me to jazz!!! I don't know anything, but all I do is improvise and I feel like I'd really enjoy it. It's really open concept right? Do you have like artists you could recommend? Are you talking about 7th and 9th chords, or other stuff? PM me if you'd like. Congrats on learning not to abuse opiates... not everyone can. I am Canadian too btw... maybe it's all that BC shit we're smokin.

I am so grateful that I am still capable of using oxycodone as prescribed, and not fiending it even after being a heroin addict for 4 years (sniffing #4). Really did learn my lesson, I went through a nightmare of fucking nightmares. It's really a choice at the end of the day... do you want to be numb, or do you want to just take the edge off and fucking suffer but still feel human? Man I didn't touch my guitar all year as a stoner! And now... I swear I found my life calling. See, I have been through too much discrimination and harassment in the engineering workplace due to my chronic pain condition, that I am honestly a little traumatized by it. I didn't want to give it up because I really did put a lot of effort into my education, and the work is easy for me if it wast for being distracted by so much agony, but it's time to move on and adapt. Use my problem solving skills, technical capabilities, and mathematics (closely connected to musical talent) for something different that my back can handle. I'm sure my knowledge of signals and systems, and object oriented programming could come in handy for recording. I can't physically handle being in an office for 10 hours a day... and they make no accommodations. Ever. If I am 'dumb' enough to tell them I have a disability, in which case they will immediately make up their mind to fire me a little down the line. I have been asked to sign legal agreements on the spot stating that I will not seek legal action, in terms of a few weeks extra pay. Those greedy fucking corporate scoundrels disgust me... but everything happens for a reason. I have a gift with guitar. I know that I do, and I want to devote as much time as I possibly can to it. I am only me once, and it seems like the coolest thing I could do with my life.

I am also in a position - having gotten clean and my family aware of it (they don't even approve of weed, so this wouldn't have happened if I was still a stoner) - where I am receiving some support from my family to get back on my feet (well, with the occasional heating pad laydown). Essentially, I have the next 4 months at minimum, to focus on nothing but my music, all day every day. All they expect of me is that I get better and recover, and it's the perfect time to hone my musical skills before getting into a band next year. I'm certain I can do it - after all this suffering? With my borderline disorder, I need a constant emotional outlet as well. It's perfect. The more I think about it, it honestly seems like everything I have experienced in life up until this moment in time has been designed to make me a very able guitarist creatively. And I have all the equipment for it too - two gorgeous fender guitars, a nice practice tube amp, and a plethora of analog pedals - I have been making killer tones, I'm actually really impressed with my progress and it hasn't even been that long since I've been feeling well enough to play (like maybe 2 weeks, after not playing at all for the past year and a half due to my addiction spiralling out of control).

I can't lay down on a heating pad at the office right? If I am in agony. I'd prefer that, and to work longer hours, but there is simply no accommodation whatsoever for people with chronic pain in the workplace (and then they report all this lost productivity in the workplace... it doesn't have to be lost, it's just that every boss I've ever had hasn't even heard of it before and they are fucking dumbass abusive fucks about it). I am simply never putting myself through that garbage again, after 3 tries when I am a very hard worker. When I begin to experience extreme pain at work, I can't just lie down on a heating pad... I guess I just look like a slacker, and I feel like one too when I am sitting there suffering my own personal hell that nobody else can see, simply overwhelmed by physical agony and unable to focus on engineering drawings.

I am putting 100% of my time and energy into guitar now. I am devoting my life to it, and I will see what I can make of that, if anything it will just be for the passion of it but I really think I could be in a band with my talent. This all happened when I quit weed, and then went through oxycodone withdrawal. I swear that I found my calling in life. This is what I was made to do, what makes all my life experience count, as I could never be creative before I had suffered. I'm practicing 4 hours a day right now (met my goal yesterday even with a nap) but soon it will be 8 or even more. Every waking moment will be devoted to my music.
Tonight, I picked up my guitar and wrote a song in C# minor that just flowed naturally. It felt really good... I will be recording it over the next week or so. Kind of a grungy thing I guess... I was in a mellow but focussed mood. I'm new to recording, and still getting my skill back after denying my passion for so long as an addict, but it's really exciting to me that I could just pick up my guitar, pick a key, and write a whole song in an hour that I personally really enjoy. It will take some time to record but I bet I'm going to have a lot of fun. See... this is the type of thing that I have NO ambition for when I'm smoking any weed at all. I'd rather sit around and 'meditate'. My back was hurting like hell the whole time, since I just dosed my percs afterwards at midnight as usual but I think that the pain gives me an edge when it comes to music.

Last edited: