• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Has anyone experienced BZ ?

Oh it worked alright, they took out some collateral though, but in an actual war setting that wouldn't be so likely.

Although there was no arresting done, as far as I know, the russki special forces just walked in and shot the terrorists dead while they were unconscious.

Those bastards really don't fuck about.

It might not have failed so badly if the hostages weren't in terrible condition from, well, being held hostage, and the first responders were given proper antidotes. Naloxone won't do jack shit for someone who inhaled a whiff of carfentanyl. It's really quite remarkable it worked as well as it did considering that they gassed them with a fentanyl derivative dosed to knock people out...! Only in Russia!

It is rumoured to have been used on civilian crowds during the Yugoslavian war in the 90's (Not by the UN forces!). Unwell civillians displayed a pattern of symptoms that medical authorities matched to the BZ profile.
Don't go looking for it. It's the kind of substance that might flag you up as a nutjob or terrorist if you were to make enquiries.
I don't think Jacobs Ladder was meant to reflect the effects profile of BZ in particular. The plotline relating to secret experimentation was lifted from historical fact (See Project MKULTRA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKULTRA , the frankly daft attempt by the military to achieve mind control.) but the rest of the film is just excellent fiction.
I am fascinated, like many, by the dark mystique of the natural belladonna alkaloids, but I would never take them. Some brave and/or foolish people love them, but they scare me. A compound which takes a whole bunch of distressing or uncomfortable effects and prolongs their duration to the extreme has got to be a no-no.
Take care. Perhaps discretion is the better part of valour. Erowid has some interesting documents about BZ.
Peace - Pipp.

It is intriguing. Very very interesting, but worthwhile? I reckon only a real masochist would ever want to poison themselves for a 3 day state of utter delirium.

Well I know Ken Kesey experienced the anti-cholergenic Ditran along with Mescaline, LSD, psylocybin and AMT. It's described in decent detail in The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. Man imagine the anxiety of THAT come up, given a dose without being told what it is, and what you experience an hour later you experience.

Is the tryptamine derivative of AMT the one with audio properties? or am i thinkin of 5-MeO-DIPT>?

Anyway back on topic... i had never heard of BZ being stockpiled or dispersed for various use by various people, but it did remind me of the Moscow theatre hostage crisis. 3-Methylfentanyl isn't a psychedelic drug but a weaponized narcotic which is is up to 6000 times stronger than morphine8o

Anyway, after a few days of Chechen freedom fighters, dug in with the hostage and not really harming many, the russian's decided to release this weaponized fentanyl into the ventilation system and storm the place... it was a complete disaster and although the russians would disagree, more than half the dead Chechen and hostages OD'd on aerosol fentanyl

^ AMT is a tryptamine but DiPT is the tryptamine with audio effects you are probably thinking about.

The Russians use of the fentanyl analog was discussed earlier. Sounds pretty brutal, especially since the Russians refused to disclose which chemical was used so medics had no idea how to treat it. Had medics known they would have been able to successfully treat many of the hostages.

Don't think I'm interested in any chemical warfare agents and if the OP did any research on BZ and still decided to start this thread I'd suspect they are a Troll!

Is the tryptamine derivative of AMT the one with audio properties? or am i thinkin of 5-MeO-DIPT>?

AMT is a tryptamine itself, if you're thinking of the simple tryptamine that has audio distorting properties it would be DiPT. 5-MeO-DiPT also has the same properties expressed in a more sensual, euphoric, erotic, and some say uncomfortably stimulating and nauseating package. There's a few other DiPT derivatives you can look up, hope that helps you find what you're looking for :)

I'm reading a biography of Kesey by Stephen L Tanner, it's fairly fascinating but doesn't go into much detail about his trips on BZ or the other hallucinogens in the Menlo Park study. I'm also pretty curious about his and other's experiences on electroshock treatment, having had seizures that resembled this sort of electrified delirium state myself. If anyone has any knowledge or can point me to resources on these topics that would be greatly appreciated. <3

Now back to your regularly scheduled entertainment.

AMT is a tryptamine itself, if you're thinking of the simple tryptamine that has audio distorting properties it would be DiPT. 5-MeO-DiPT also has the same properties expressed in a more sensual, euphoric, erotic, and some say uncomfortably stimulating and nauseating package. There's a few other DiPT derivatives you can look up, hope that helps you find what you're looking for :)

Now back to your regularly scheduled entertainment.

Well i've only ever had extensive experience with DMT and some with 5-meo-dmt. There is some special bark that i've been saving for a while.... not much but it's locked in there until i decide to visit my higher power<3

Yeah i've got a couple of Colorado river toads as my pets, they make great pets. ones called 5-meo and the other DMT;)

the ones that i'm really interested in are hard to come by. and thats one i've been trying to find out about. when i smoke dmt i have music on most of the time, so would be interesting to see what it does with music

Just one Benadryl makes me sleep for days, cry for no reason and become a worthless pile of lethargic flesh, so I cannot imagine what some of these other anticholinergics would be like. Not good, I'm guessing.

BZ was invented by the big Swiss pharma giant Hoffman-LaRoche in 1951. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-Quinuclidinyl_benzilate. I went to work for Aldrich Chemical Co. in 1969. One of the first projects they had me work on was analyzing product sales by $ size, The top seller: 3-hydroxypyridine. And that was to one customer: Hoffman-Laroche in Nutley, NJ. Only much later did I find out that this was the starting material for making BZ, a military incapacitating agent developed by the U.S. Army.

I believe the 3-hydroxypyridine was made by a firm in Europe who sulfonated pyridine followed by caustic fusion of pyridine-3-sulfonic acid.

The post in another thread that those Russians who were poisoned in the U.K. by BZ is incorrect. They were poisoned by a Novichok (pronounced NO-WE-SHOCK) binary nerve agent developed by the Russians during the 1970s-1980s in secret. In a binary system two harmless substances are combined to produce the deadly Novichok. One of the structures of a suspected Novichoks is attached. I have a good idea how this is weaponized in binary form but I'm keeping that information to myself.

BZ:
image.jpg

Novichok:

RUSSIAN_NOVACHOK_AGENT_5_A-232.jpg

Last edited:
BZ was invented by the big Swiss pharma giant Hoffman-LaRoche in 1951. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-Quinuclidinyl_benzilate. I went to work for Aldrich Chemical Co. in 1969. One of the first projects they had me work on was analyzing product sales by $ size, The top seller: 3-hydroxypyridine. And that was to one customer: Hoffman-Laroche in Nutley, NJ. Only much later did I find out that this was the starting material for making BZ, a military incapacitating agent developed by the U.S. Army.

Interesting find, but keep in mind that Hoffmann-LaRoche also used 3-hydroxypyridine to produce pyridostigmine (sold as "Mestinon"), a reversible AChE inhibitor used to treat myasthenia gravis (which, interestingly, was also handed out as a prophylactic against exposure to the nerve agent Soman by the military).

640px-Pyridostigmine_synthesis.png

Last edited:
My question...rwgardless of how you acheive a state like that. If you gradullay admit it to yourself what happened and memory comes back. What's the harm? Lesson learned? 2-Oxo-PCE plus speed reminds me of MXE and what I imagine MK-ULTRA to be like. I feel like Alex in a clockwork or orange mixed with a scanner darkly. Big brothers here...but who controls the switch? Or access? Is it protect and swerve or protect and serve? Are we gaining underground freedoms for the mind and aware-or having it all slowly taken from us? I hope not. This is the future I've waited patiently for.

Bear in mind that there are two structure patterns given for novichok agents (they are a group of them, it isn't just one 'novichok agent' like say, VX, its a series of agents, like there is with the G and V series nerve agents) The location of the C=N double bond varies depending on whether its the structures Mirzayanov gives, with the two sets differing in that one has a more typical V series 'core' with a P-O-N=C-(XX) where X=halogen or pseudohalogen (E.g cyano, as with tabun) whilst the other group lacks the P-O bond in one of the two side-chains, having a direct P-N=C bond leading to a tertiary amine. IIRC P=Se bonds have also been tried (replacing not the side chain oxygen but the P=O bond para to the halogen (pretty much always fluorine) in the core fluorophosphonate ester structure)

As for BZ use on the battlefield vs nerve agents of any sort, even without chemical testing, it would be bloody obvious which type of agent was used, the two are polar opposites in effect, plus, BZ is intended to be nonlethal, IMO there would be far lower of a body count if BZ was used, as opposed to a nerve agent. At least, excluding soldiers eating each other, trying to fuck landmines, shooting each other/themselves etc. A nerve agent attack would leave corpses, not living insane mental cases smoking imaginary cigarettes.

I was saddened to find after about 20 minutes of reading about this russian nerve gas agent, ( novichok ) i stumbled on a forum with pretty clear detail of its manufactured process.

Sure some responses needed translating but it really was only a modest amount of googling after reading of it in the news. Terrible stuff.

They aren't gases. Liquids, mostly, although one of them, A242, IIRC, is a crystalline solid. There may be other solids, but from what I've read from experts (no, not mirzayanov) A-242 (novichok-9) is a solid. Nasty little buggers, some 5-10x as potent as VX, and apparently, and quite expectedly on my part, I'd guessed that they would, unlike other nerve agents, because of that dihalogenated formaldoxime group, be able to physically chew through skin and other tissue, in addition to causing systemic toxicity. If you look at that part of the structure, that substructure is basically phosgene oxime, or an analog of it, depending on which halogens are used (phosgene itself is carbonyl dichloride, (Cl2(C)=O and its a highly toxic gas, itself, classed with the pulmonary agents, whilst phosgene oxime is a solid, albeit a volatile one, that is classed as a 'nettle agent' due to its causing immediate pain upon contact of the solid or its vapor with skin, causing blanching, severe pain, itching, and after a while, a blackened scab forms and eventually is shed by the body. Corrosive properties pretty much)

And I've also read that having the oxime functional group already present in the novichok agents, prevents the Hagedorn oximes usually administered alongside atropine from binding and as they do normal nerve agents, dephosphorylating the serine residue in a critical site within the acetylcholinesterase enzyme structure which attacked and phosporylated by the nerve agents.

These oxime compounds USUALLY, with most nerve agents basically transfer that phosphoryl group to themselves, reactivating poisoned cholinesterase whilst the oxime-nerve agent complex is excreted. (Although unfortunately for anyone poisoned, they also have to get the oxime within a limited time period, which varies from agent to agent; and is not correlated to the lethal dosage of the agent, for example, VX can take up to 48 hours before the VX-cholinesterase complex 'ages' as the process is known, and a rearrangement takes place which renders the oxime reactivators useless, whilst if its soman that you get poisoned by, although it takes a greater weight of soman to kill you compared to VX, soman ages incredibly rapidly once it has inactivated acetylcholinesterase. If you don't get the oxime within ten minutes, the soman-cholinesterase complex has aged and you are, in a word, fucked; supportive treatment such as atropine only, due to the aging rendering the poisoned cholinesterase enzyme impervious to dephosphorylation with the oxime drug used.)

https://www.rferl.org/a/novichok-cr...al-poison-will-remain-a-mystery/29182827.html

Looks like my hunch from a few years back about these nerve agents, assuming one goes with the formulas which have the asymmetrical dihaloformaldoxime substructure rather than a tertiary amine in the same place, which given that behaviour I am inclined to believe, act as both nerve- and nettle-agents, able to chew through the skin even in solid form to deliver themselves into the open wound.

Was it sciencemadness.org that the novichok syntheses were posted on? wouldn't surprise me, IIRC members there have worked out syntheses for VX other than the classic route via agent QL.

And having a pesticide precursor+acetonitrile (methyl cyanide) be one route to novichok agents, that shouts 'binary weapon potential' there, especially if said pesticide precursor is liquid or dissolved in solvent for easy dispersal, acetonitrile is also a mobile, non-viscous liquid, so the two would mix together easily if made into a binary munition. Whereas for binary VX, IIRC the non QL portion, is solid elemental sulfur. Much less efficient to mix sulfur powder and a liquid, than two liquids.

Acetonitrile is about as viscous as say, ether, or acetone, lower alcohols like the one we drink, etc. I have some in the fridge as it happens, got about a liter of the stuff I use as a lab solvent (no, it isn't the fridge I keep my food in, I have a separate chemicals fridge. And no, I have absolutely not the least intention of synthesizing any of the novichok agents.)

Even if I did want to, I'd be too unhappy with the idea of it backfiring on me, save for the idea of a binary agent. But no, not my area of chemistry, at least, not on the practical side of things; not to say I don't take an interest on the academic side, but I've no wish to actually MAKE the things.

(I'm of the school of thought that goes 'its better to know what makes for a danger, or something that is a close analog of such a danger than not to know, hobby chemists SHOULD know what makes for say, a nitrogen or sulfur mustard, a nerve agent, etc. because then when it comes to designing a synthetic route to something, you can then spot a particular compound or intermediate that is, or would give rise to a CW agent. I've been served well by knowing HOW and WHY as well as WHAT makes for such nasty chemical warfare agents. For example, I've been wanting some Hunig's base, diisopropylethylamine, a sterically hindered, non-nucleophilic strong organic amine base, and i have diisopropylaminoethanOL.

Problem is, a halogen beta to an amine group, especially if its a bis-compound of some sort, makes for a good candidate for behaviour as a nitrogen mustard. So halogenating the alcohol and using it as a leaving group was discarded as an idea. Now going to use a tosyl group as the leaving group of my choice. Why? and why am I choosing to proceed?

Because of knowledge about how nitrogen mustards (along with sulfur mustards, the nitrogen mustards are blister agents, although also in the case of the nitrogen mustards, and variants of them, used for treating leukaemias) work.

First, they all have a bis- or tris-haloalkyl group, on an amine in nitrogen mustards, as a bis-(2-haloalkyl)alkylthioether in sulfur mustards, and a conventional R-O-R ether in oxygen mustard and a couple others. The two reactive leaving groups (the halogens) act to bridge across the two sugar-phosphodiester backbone strands of DNA, one leaving group, in the second stage of the attack, bonding one side of the mustard agent to one strand and the other, to the other, forming a crosslink.

The first step of attack, is formation of an aziridinium ion, which alkylates DNA, attacking at guanine, Then the aziridinium, a highly reactive intermediate, reacts and crosslinks the DNA strands, and during replication of genetic material, we have enzymes that 'proof-read' the genetic code prior to translation, and its basically like sticking superglue in a lock, the glue jams up the lock, while the nitrogen mustard jams the DNA strand with its crosslinkages, causing the proofreading enzymes to be unable to get past the blockage, and as a result, it registers as a damaged section of genetic material, and the cell is then forced to undergo apoptosis (programmed cell death), and it dies.

Whilst the aziridinium cation and its alkylation of DNA itself doesn't cause the horrific blistering effect of the vesicant chemical weapons class, thats the crosslinking in action, the aziridinium ion is requisite for this to happen. It so happens that in the case of diisopropylethylamine (Hunig's base, what I'm after), the two big, bulky isopropyl groups one either side immediately adjacent to the ethyl group (or ethanol group in my case, I need to remove the alcohol)

These big bulky buggers allow for a proton to bind, but not larger groups, so it can act as a base, but itself won't end up acylated, alkylated or whatever else, it just allows for smooth, clean deprotonations, and also, tosylate, whilst an excellent leaving group, better than iodide, which I would have used, the iodide might be volatile to some degree, whilst the tosylate is almost certainly a solid. And sterically speaking there should be no room for the aziridinium cation to form, in the case of diisopropylaminoethanol tosylate. So solid, nonvolatile, safer to handle. Only one, not two reactive leaving groups (the tosyl group), giving this intermediate no way to form those nasty crosslinkages between DNA strands IF it can even cyclize initially to form the aziridinium, which due to the aforementioned steric constraints, I'm pretty confident it cannot, and as such, atypically, due to its specific structure, diisopropylaminoethyl tosylate should not be capable of the virulent cytotoxicity of the mustards, despite having a great leaving group beta to the amine.

See? knowledge works both ways, for evil and for good. Knowing how the mustard 'gases' (they are liquids actually) work, means I spotted the potential danger, and could then analyse it in greater detail, work the problem and the risks out. And in this case, find them to be negligible and such as will be safe to proceed with and prepare my Hunig's base. Do I WANT to make mustard 'gas' blister weapons? do I hades! but BECAUSE I know exactly how they ARE made, I know how NOT to make them by accident, and know what characteristics of a molecule will make it a probable mustard-type blister agent, or a nerve agent etc. etc.

I was saddened to find after about 20 minutes of reading about this russian nerve gas agent, ( novichok ) i stumbled on a forum with pretty clear detail of its manufactured process.

Sure some responses needed translating but it really was only a modest amount of googling after reading of it in the news. Terrible stuff.

The synthesis route is on wikipedia....

Heh, any wouldbe terrorists attempting to make it from the 'put two and two together' standpoint, using that dioxaphospholane route is in for a NASTY surprise=D The other precursor is going to be pretty virulent in its own right, that dihalogenated formaldoxime, its phosgene oxime with the halogens tweaked, could doubtless be made via reduction of chloropicrin analogs, at least thats where I'd start, if I were to have the mind to cook up anything quite so nasty, and even chloropicrin is pretty nasty shit. I wouldn't relish working with it as an intermediate for anything much, and I'd bet fluorinated analogs of it would be even more unpleasant, Think something along the lines of 'tear gas on steroids>phosgene oxime analog (phosgene oxime is classified as a nettle agent, somewhat similar in effect to sulfur/nitrogen mustard blister agents, and has a high vapor pressure, producing toxic effects within minutes of exposure, downright nasty stuff)>novichok type agent', so thats a pretty unpleasant set of procedures, that hopefully at least, would weed out plenty of inept allah-basher types before they ever got off the starting block, assuming they don't succeed and have their end product do the job.

And its likely corrosive as hell to tissues, and able to deliver itself pretty effectively, in case of skin contact with even the solid derivative (A-238, IIRC) in the series, I seem to recall one of the scientists involved in the development of the foliant program to have had a rather closer encounter with it than he'd have wanted, and to have told of its causing chemical burns, and that the only reason he lived to tell of it, was that the specific variant he was working with, had been A-238, a solid, and he got away with washing it off with soap and water, given that he realized immediately he had come into contact with it.

Far from harmless precursors. The dioxaphospholane portion of it might be, the phosgene oxime or derivatives of it with differing halogen substitution, not nearly so pleasant.

Last edited: