• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Feeling Sick in the Morning? It may be Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamus

Bluelighter
I've noticed recently, after a little more publicity surrounding Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS), that many more anecdotal reports are hitting the forums (I've also noticed my symptoms worsen, meanwhile).

Who here wakes up in the morning, feels nauseous and/or vomits, & attributes this to weed?

More information: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=426434

If so please describe your experiences to the best of your ability below (everything about the nausea & your weed habit), & hopefully we can get a little closer to understanding the effects of cannabis on the digestive tract.

Thanks peeps %)

ps. how do I include a poll here?

Strange.

I seemed to get this randomly, not recently mind you, not in the past couple of years but there was plenty a morning where I'd wake up and get in the shower before work and get sick and throw up in the shower.

Could've been other drugs but I'm 99% sure that on many occasions it happened after I had smoked weed only.

Been a smoker for 10 years, 8 of them heavy

Now this part, I've NEVER experienced:

In the US case, the sufferer had been smoking marijuana daily and in heavy doses for six years. This eventually led to bouts of vomiting lasting two to three hours daily, and this was worse after meals.

As with South Australian cases, the young man initially turned to "compulsive hot bathing behaviour" to relieve the symptoms but he was not cured until he gave up smoking cannabis altogether.

My bouts of vomiting were limited to once or twice in the shower and maybe once in the sink after I got out. I NEVER felt sick throughout the day and IMO vomiting helped relieve pressure in my stomach.

Wait, I'm a little confused. Do they mean you feel nauseous and throw up before you've had your morning cannabis? Isn't that normal in a cannabis addict? You wake up nearly sober, so you need to toke to get rid of the nausea of your cannabinoid-deprived digestive system?

I get nauseaus in the mornings .
Almost feel like I'm going to vommit but never do.

It's calmed down a bit now . My weeed tolerance has gone wayyy up which may be why. Who knows.

This is the first time I've heard of CHS. I think it's rather interesting that people experience it in the morning. The only people that I have known to get sick simply from pot usually started with the spins and ended up near a trash can or toilet.

Now, I smoke marijuana several times a day on most occasions, except for when my pain management appointment is coming up because they require the dreaded urine GC-MS. I don't want to take your thread in a different direction, however, I feel this could be an analogue of what the OP mentioned. If I'm way off, then I apologize because I haven't yet read up on CHS. On several occasions, after a night of pretty heavy smoking, if I go to bed high then I often wake up with the feeling that I've pulled nearly every muscle in my arms, legs, and neck. Is this something that any of you guys have had similar experiences?

I Also smoke several times a day, it's not happened recently but I had a good patch of about 2-3 months where every morning i'd have mega shits and feel sick for a few hours. Neve thew up fom it I don't think though and it doesn't happen anymore - pobably totally unelated for me hah.

ive never had nausea/sickness off of weed /hash, only had bowels moving
never heard of anyone else having it either
only time ive had morning sickness was when i was pregnant

This whole syndrome sounds like BS to me. I wake up feeling nauseous in the morning, but i attribute that to poor diet, lack of heavy sleep, and moderate binges with alcohol. I'm willing to bet anyone with "CHS" is either extremely mentally dependent on weed or, like i said, poor diet, sleep, or drinking problems. Cannabis should not cause problems.

Last edited:
I've been waking up feeling fairly sick almost every morning for many months now, I've smoked pot daily for a few years and almost daily for a year or two before that, I currently smoke 1-2 grams of low grade mexican weed through a bubbler daily. It's never made me throw up but I often feel very sick to the stomach in the morning. Then I smoke some weed and eat some food and it goes away. I've always attributed the sick feeling to sinus drainage. Which is still what I think it probably is, but hey, it could be this other thing too. I worry that it might be because of pesticides used on the pot or some other impurity, it seems like it would have come up already within the last 20 or so years if it was caused by cannabis alone, because the claim is that 6 years of smoking can cause it.

I can't have any milk in the first 3 or 4 hours after I wake up or else I'll throw up pretty violently. Sometimes it's anything grain- or milk-based (normally after drinking), but I know that every single day I can't have any milk early on without getting sick.

I doubt it's related to Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome, but ya never know.

When i was yonger (16-20) if i woke up early in the morning (before 8am ish) i would feel really nauseous and often throw up one or many times. I used to think it was because i worked in a photolab and was exposed to the chemicals...

But it wasnt weed. I didnt start smoking till 23.

IMO if u are going to flood your cannabinoiodal system consistantly for many years, then u gotta expect some effects, right? IMO the most logical explanation is that these stoners didnt maintain a healthy diet. Or they smoked chemically tainted (unflushed) bud. Or both, or other things.

What really shits me about these hypothesis is that people have smoked weed for centurys and there is actually alot of scientific data out there, they just dont bother to listen! Case and point as the Indian Sadhus. These holy men only eat vegaen food and often only consume cannabis for long periods as holy acts. Doctors can study and HAVE studyed this population for a very long time. And there are about 5million of them, so its pretty easy to gather some statistics about cannabis that way.

For interests sake, a doctor in a doco i watched recently described the most prominant long term effect is a mental degradation or physcosis after 20-30 years of heavy smokeing.. Not everyone, but its a definate observation... And if u have seen these guys toke, you would understand why.

This is interesting. I have been a heavy smoker for 4 years and never experienced anything remotly similair to this. cannabis only destroys my naseua and has never contributed to it. Only drug that has destryoed my gag reflex is suboxone:p

It seems to me as if the mechanism behind this is that since cannabis is an appetite stimulant/anit-emetic, people who experience this are having "rebound nausea". However, to my knowledge cannabis is not physically addictive enough to cause such a dramatic syndrome. The worst I feel after I stop smoking after a period of regular smoking is a slight loss of appetite, and certainly not to the point where it impedes my ability to eat. I think diet is probably a factor here. These people may be eating an unhealthy diet, and they may be getting the munchies and eating massive amounts of junk food, which is what may be causing these GI symptoms.

Cannabis is definitely physically addictive enough to cause rebound nausea.

The way I see it, youre either physically addicted or you aren't. That's like saying I'm not pregnant enough to have a kid, but im still pregnant.

have all the people in such study posted everything they do? such as their diet, any work outs they may do? any other drugs?
I do get this feeling but it is not because of bud but of a messed up diet. plus other things like dxm... or beer.
eating a lot of munchies at night can make one wake up feeling crappy as well

I have experienced this but I attribute it more to anxiety and only happens if I smoked heavily the night before.

HINT: the cure is more weed

oh no not this again...

just quit if you seriously smoke so much you get nausea. turn it down a level.

Status
Not open for further replies.