Do police keep records of all traffic stops?

Transcendence

Bluelighter
I've been pulled over a couple times for things like a non-working tail light. Recently my friend was stopped in her car while another friend and myself were passengers. The only reason she was pulled over was because her tail light was out, but the cop asked all three of us to produce identification. I thought this was really odd since we weren't doing anything wrong (other than being young and therefore obviously up to no good). I really was not in the mood to argue or get on the bad side of a local officer so I complied.

But still, it made me wonder what kind of records police keep if there isn't any ticket or even warning handed out. Are there typically records documenting every citizen's encounter with an officer (USA)?

I've been pulled over a couple times for things like a non-working tail light. Recently my friend was stopped in her car while another friend and myself were passengers. The only reason she was pulled over was because her tail light was out, but the cop asked all three of us to produce identification. I thought this was really odd since we weren't doing anything wrong (other than being young and therefore obviously up to no good). I really was not in the mood to argue or get on the bad side of a local officer so I complied.

But still, it made me wonder what kind of records police keep if there isn't any ticket or even warning handed out. Are there typically records documenting every citizen's encounter with an officer (USA)?

Yea, a couple weeks ago i was pulled over for no reason and searched for an hour and a half. my wife was ID'd also, asked tons of questions, tore the car apart, canines back up and all. no reason to stop me, no reason to search. I even refused. I am also young :\

In this day and age, there will be a searchable record kept of damn nearly every encounter with law enforcement. If that cop took you ID and phoned it in, there is absolutely a permanent digital trace of your encounter.

i was once accosted by police for walking through a park at 1015 because the park closed at ten. The officer wrote all my info down on a index card so im pretty sure they keep some sort of record for everything.

^^Is there anyone out there who can confirm this? Like someone who works in LE or something?

It's not that I don't believe it's possible. It's just that I've seen thread on here where criminal background checks don't bring up charges from other states. And if a criminal background check can't pick up out of state charges I kinda doubt a quick police search via the on board computer would have that much extensive information....especially considering the massive amount of traffic stops that occur each day.

Other things that would make searches even more difficult could be: different license plates, different registration, different car, new/out of state license etc. At the same time I wouldn't be surprised if there was something that came up to identify possible risks to officers. So anyone have first hand experience with this?

I'm really interested because I've had more than my share of close calls and "get the f- outa here" from police. And I'd like to know so I know how to play my hand next time I'm pulled over.

The officer wrote all my info down on a index card so im pretty sure they keep some sort of record for everything.

the classic F.I. card aka Field Identification

no one can answer these questions yes or no, it all depends on the individual cop/situation/police station .. maybe you'll make it into NCIC/LEDS/etc if you're unlucky.
except for other cops, though, only getting slapped with tickets/cuffs can show on your criminal history.

I'm pretty sure they keep track of everything. Especially when they pull you over. When you get pulled over, you technically are getting arrested; even if they don't do anything to you. You give up your liberties while the law enforcement officer investigates what he pulled you over for. Disregarding any of this I think the main reason is for their own insurance and protection.

Cops break the law too and even more often get accused of breaking the law. If they kept track of every encounter no matter what, if someone was to make something up the first defense would be we have no record of you even interacting with the officer. And people may wait a long time to come forward about something that happened to them and the officer would need something to either jog their memory or tell their story because as a civilian will remember an interaction so vividly, it is often nothing more than normal routine for the cop.

You give up your liberties while the law enforcement officer investigates what he pulled you over for.

That is wrong, you still retain your civil liberties while in police custody.